The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Honestly, I would have loved to see what the Stillman Staal Cole line could have done this year.

When LaRose was signed, my first thought was that if Rosey ended up on the first line, the money would have been better spent on Stillman.

How will we every figure out if Boychuk, Dalpe, or any other prospect can play in the top 9 if we never play them there?

Personally, I send LaRose down to the 4th line, & either put Boychuk, or Rutuu on the second line...and the other one on the 1st line.

LaRose would be a monster on the 4th line, & we might find out that Boychuk can play in the top 9.

I suppose it can't get anymore speculative then it already is but over at Canes Country, Bob Wage is asking if a Blue Line Trade is Looming. He writes,

Yesterday during a fan luncheon, Rutherford reportedly verified those suspicions when he said "a top six defenseman" is in play

I haven't been able to find any other reference to Rutherford's remarks. I think the feeling is growing that there is something brewing.

I suppose it can't get anymore speculative then it already is but over at Canes Country, Bob Wage is asking if a Blue Line Trade is Looming. He writes,

I haven't been able to find any other reference to Rutherford's remarks. I think the feeling is growing that there is something brewing.

I was there and JR said that if/when the right thing comes along, the trigger will be pulled on one of our top 6 so Faulk can stay up on a permanent basis. He said that Faulk is the right handed shot they have been coveting and we as fans have not fully seen what he can do from the point yet. He also talked about Allen's leadership and presence in the locker room so I think you can take him off the list. If a trade is made, I would guess it will either be McBain or Kabs.

JR was very candid with his answers and I was really impressed. He was also asked about Skinner taking such a wolloping so far this year and he said that if you are on the lower level, you will really notice that Skinner is constantly chirping and poking at the other teams so it's not happening in a vacuum. He knows it's coming.

I was there and JR said that if/when the right thing comes along, the trigger will be pulled on one of our top 6 so Faulk can stay up on a permanent basis. He said that Faulk is the right handed shot they have been coveting and we as fans have not fully seen what he can do from the point yet. He also talked about Allen's leadership and presence in the locker room so I think you can take him off the list. If a trade is made, I would guess it will either be McBain or Kabs.

JR was very candid with his answers and I was really impressed. He was also asked about Skinner taking such a wolloping so far this year and he said that if you are on the lower level, you will really notice that Skinner is constantly chirping and poking at the other teams so it's not happening in a vacuum. He knows it's coming.

Thanks for the clarification. That is very candid for a GM. I wonder how the top 6 feel about playing with that cloud over their head. I guess it is what it is.

He was excellent...The players have to know its coming. There are 8 players and 7 chairs, the music is playing for now but I expect it will stop soon.

JR was very clear though that they are waiting for the right thing to come along. It sounded to me like they are comfortable with the 8 for awhile, even if that means shuttling Faulk down and up so he can play. Faulk needs minutes whether AHL or NHL.

Thanks for the clarification Lawn-dog, as a fan I find JR refreshing. Most higher ups in any pro sport usually won't speak so direct to the fans, especially on tough subjects like player trades. I'm sure all of what JR says to the media/fans is well thought out and likely has some purpose to it and I'm fairly sure this is more of the same.

I wonder if there have already been deals on the table that just haven't panned out yet? We know it was reported (maybe by Bob McKenzie) that the Canes were in on several deals in pre-season but none panned out, JR said back then he'd wait and see what we needed and who may be available before making a move.

The frustrating part is wondering if they really gave the young kids like Dalpe a fair shot to prove themselves.

Try these lines:

Poni Staal Boychuk

Skinner Ruutu Jokinen

Tulsty Sutter Dwyer

Sutter Brent LaRose

We know lines 2 & 3 can be really good. We also know that 4th line could play normal shifts 10-15 min.

Boychuk looked good to me last night in his limited role. Why not give him a shot?

Try these lines:

Poni Staal Boychuk

Skinner Ruutu Jokinen

Tulsty Sutter Dwyer

Sutter Brent LaRose

We know lines 2 & 3 can be really good. We also know that 4th line could play normal shifts 10-15 min.

Boychuk looked good to me last night in his limited role. Why not give him a shot?

Chip tweeting that 1st line at practice today was....wait for it.....

LaRose Staal Tlusty

2nd line is back to what it should be Jussi, Ruutu Skinner

I agree that Boychuck looke really good last night...he is all kinds of fast. Put him up there with Staal and Tlusty (I actually like that line).

LaRose Staal Tlusty

You talking about the 1st line at Charlotte's practice...Right?

Good to see Jared up on the 1st line!

Seriously...that line is just awful. I'm no fan of Poni, but he is better on that line than either of those two.

What did Cole bring that helped Staal? Speed down the wing...who has speed...Boychuk that's who.

Edited by rocheccw

I cannot believe that we may actually use that combination on the 1st line and our next games are Chicago, Philly, Tampa, Washington and Dallas...maybe Mo is tired of coaching.

I actually think Tlusty has played well enough to deserve a shot next to Staal. He's a skilled player and has good enough wheels. But LaRose...AGAIN???? This is such a gigantic fail I am almost beyond words. Opposing teams can essentially double-team Staal. People who are worried about Staal's production need to look directly to our Captain's right.

Edited by Law-Dawg

I cannot believe that we may actually use that combination on the 1st line and our next games are Chicago, Philly, Tampa, Washington and Dallas...maybe Mo is tired of coaching.

I actually think Tlusty has played well enough to deserve a shot next to Staal. He's a skilled player and has good enough wheels. But LaRose...AGAIN???? This is such a gigantic fail I am almost beyond words. Opposing teams can essentially double-team Staal. People who are worried about Staal's production need to look directly to our Captain's right.

And to his left.

LaRose Staal Tlusty

2nd line is back to what it should be Jussi, Ruutu Skinner

I agree that Boychuck looke really good last night...he is all kinds of fast. Put him up there with Staal and Tlusty (I actually like that line).

This is the "Fail for Nail" line. I didn't realize we were so desperate to start using it in the 10th game of the season though.

LaRose Staal Tlusty

I prefer to view that as a demotion of Staal to the third line.

Give Boychuk a look. I have mentioned it before and agree with you on that. Give him a look.

ABLR: Anybody but LaRose on the top line.

Wondering about the Faulk up and then right back down...trade about to happen and then stalled because THIS has JR written all friggin over it...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/911516-kyle-turris-future-in-phoenix-remains-uncertain

Poni Staal Jussi

Ruutu Turris Skinner

Tlusty Sutter Dwyer

LaRose Brent Stewart

Maybe we are getting ready to Recycle-Oh we can only hope ! Come on JR bring the Wizard home from Phoenix! Everybody LOVES RAYMOND!!!He is the playmaker we need!Just DO IT

Edited by Pkling40

Wondering about the Faulk up and then right back down...trade about to happen and then stalled because THIS has JR written all friggin over it...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/911516-kyle-turris-future-in-phoenix-remains-uncertain

Maybe I'm just missing something. Which part of that article is supposed to have JR written all over it? I remember reading about a lot of second guessing and wishful thinking on our part about a trade, I didn't know it becomes official once a couple of folks agree in here that that MIGHT be what's going on.

Maybe I'm just missing something. Which part of that article is supposed to have JR written all over it? I remember reading about a lot of second guessing and wishful thinking on our part about a trade, I didn't know it becomes official once a couple of folks agree in here that that MIGHT be what's going on.

Agreed. No thanks on Turris, he wants Jokinen money yet only put up up 25 points in 60 some games. A JR deal involves multiple inexpensive players that have shown promise and might need a change of scenery or waiver pickups. Turris might have shown promise but his asking price is too much of a gamble.

Which part of that article is supposed to have JR written all over it?

This is usually the type of situation where we sneak in and steal a player...Jokinnen, Ruutu, Nash all to some extent were "undesirables" with their teams. This is a kind of player we could certainly use, it is the type of situation where JR gets involved and Phoenix has been a trade partner with this team before.

A 2nd line center fixes our wing issue on the 1st line as Jussi can absolutely be the playmaker on the 1st line with Staal. They have great chemistry on the PP and I see no reason as to why that would not exist 5 on 5. Put a big guy like Ponikarovsk or Stewart on the other wing to be a big guy in front for screens and rebounds and we've got a very nice first line. From there the other lines would balance out nicely.