The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

This is usually the type of situation where we sneak in and steal a player...Jokinnen, Ruutu, Nash all to some extent were "undesirables" with their teams. This is a kind of player we could certainly use, it is the type of situation where JR gets involved and Phoenix has been a trade partner with this team before.

Yea, but, just because a couple of GMs inquire about still unsigned Turris doesn't mean there were any trade negotiations in the works. Plus, according to ESPN.com, Maloney is not even shopping Turris or interested in any trades. I can see why Maloney already called Turris' $3-$4 million a year contract demands (for 11 goals and 25 points last season !?!) "totally illogical."

Imo the last thing we really need or want is a kid who is too expensive, too unproductive, too inexperienced and too full of himself and I fail to see how this kid is supposed to help our situation.

10/27 Practice Update

• Boychuk and Sutter2 will remain with the Canes at least through the weekend.
  • Brent and Stewart back on the ice
  • Joslin has normal defenseman jersey on
  • Neutral zone drills (thankfully)
  • 5 on 3 drills

I don't know about a trade for Turris specifically, but the thought JR might be shopping for a second line center seems plausible to me, as Law Dawg pointed out, it could balance out our top-6 and provide a lot more options for slotting our existing players there.

A move for a guy who may need a change of scenery is something I expect out of JR. With that said, I would agree Turris's contract demands are way out of line with his point production.

I think we need a huge shake-up right now. Barring a trade, that has to be the lines. But sticking Tlusty and LaRose alongside Staal is setting us up for mega-fail.

Would opposing teams then focus their top D pairing on Skinner/Jokinen/Ruutu, thus squashing their efficiency? I can certainly see the possibility.

At this point, I'm with a few of you who believe we need to move Staal to wing and see what happens. If we want to keep Skinner/Jokinen/Ruutu together, I'd actually consider the following:

Staal - Sutter - Poni

Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu

Tlusty - Brent - LaRose

Sutter - Nash - Dwyer

At least until Stewart and Dalpe are ready to come back.

This would definitely shake things up, would allow us to see if Sutter has the chops to run on a scoring line, and would at least keep opponents honest against our top 2 lines.

Sticking Tlusty and LaRose with Staal is just embarrassing.

10/27 Practice Update

• Boychuk and Sutter2 will remain with the Canes at least through the weekend.
  • Brent and Stewart back on the ice
  • Joslin has normal defenseman jersey on
  • Neutral zone drills (thankfully)
  • 5 on 3 drills

• Tim Brent will play Friday, Stewart (lower body) is a GTD

A move for a guy who may need a change of scenery is something I expect out of JR. With that said, I would agree Turris's contract demands are way out of line with his point production.

And that's the elephant in the room...can the organization have a conversation with him and say here's your chance. Sign a 2 year deal (Rask can sign a 2 way next year and continue his development) and make your mark.

The kid hopefully gets to play with Skinner and Ruutu which would be a far cry from his mates in Phoenix. The 'Yotes were 14th in the league in scoring we didn't do loads better last year (12th) but we are a much more offensive minded team. In 09-10 we were 13th in scoring and Phoenix was 24th. Also looking into his stats, yes he had 25 pts in 65 games but it does not look like he got much time on the pp and was not getting big minutes. Sounds like a kid who needs a change of scenery and a fresh start.

As far as the money goes, it's been mentioned several times that he's asking for a lot more from Phoenix than he would if it were anywhere else. He seems open to signing a much more reasonable deal elsewhere. Regardless, I'm still a bit hesitant to say I'd like to have him here. I just have this feeling that he could become another Babchuk in a sense (wanting more than whatever he's offered), despite his willingness to accept less in this particular case.

It's never a good idea to bring on someone with issues. JR has seen the Babchuk thing, where the guy thinks he's worth more than he is. I think if Turris is demanding $3M-$4M per, then he's nuts. Not only will Phoenix not sign him for that, no one will.

I'm not sure what JR can do at this point. It's tough to make trades at this point in the season. You have to look at teams that are struggling and see if any of them want to shake things up as well. And then of course how they want to shake things up has to match how you want to shake things up.

We're stuck with Mo trying to solve this. Which means we're doomed.

I'm not sure what JR can do at this point. It's tough to make trades at this point in the season. You have to look at teams that are struggling and see if any of them want to shake things up as well. And then of course how they want to shake things up has to match how you want to shake things up.

We're stuck with Mo trying to solve this. Which means we're doomed.

I'd have to agree. Someone said all Mo was doing was moving food around the plate. I think he is, and it's all vegetables. JR, please give me a pork chop to gnaw on.

I'd have to agree. Someone said all Mo was doing was moving food around the plate.

Sounds like someone brilliant. :P

I do think that Mo doesn't have a lot of great options. But I also just hate seeing Chad keep popping up to the first line. Seriously, try Boychuk.

Sounds like someone brilliant. :P

I do think that Mo doesn't have a lot of great options. But I also just hate seeing Chad keep popping up to the first line. Seriously, try Boychuk.

Be patient. Mo is working his way through the list of guys he thinks are best suited to play with Staal - Skinner, Jokinen, Ruutu, Poni, LaRose, Tlusty, Stewart, and Dalpe. Boychuk will have to stand in line.

You would think if Tlusty does get the start on the Staal line it is his time to show what he can do. I haven't seen what some apparently do in his game. Maybe this will be his time to shine. he certainly won't be able to say he wasn't given a chance. I'm dubious but hopeful.

Our new 1st line stats:

Staal 3G 2A -9

LaRose 1G 3A -2

Tlusty 1G 2A +4

Doesn't scare anyone, but us Caniacs.

Skinner, Jokinen, & Ruutu will see the other teams top D pair all game.

Epic Fail. :facepalm:

let's face it staal needs to be demoted. so is this what's been done? they've just moved him to the 3rd/4th line basically but they are calling it the 1st line so that he doesn't get pouty like he does and stop producing even more? i would have no problem with this but how are the minutes going to work out? because if the first line which is actually the 3rd or 4th line is getting 1st line minutes this is a disaster

let's face it staal needs to be demoted. so is this what's been done? they've just moved him to the 3rd/4th line basically but they are calling it the 1st line so that he doesn't get pouty like he does and stop producing even more? i would have no problem with this but how are the minutes going to work out? because if the first line which is actually the 3rd or 4th line is getting 1st line minutes this is a disaster

Interesting way to look at it, we'll find out tonight how the minutes pan out.

I truly think that Mo believes that the line of LaRose/Staal/Tlusty has a chance to produce. It's sad.

Can anybody name another team in the NHL that would match up an All Star caliber forward with LaRose and Tlusty on a first line?

The more I think about this angle the more I like it (if thats what going on here). Sutter has been fine playing with whoever he's given and teamed with Ponikarovski and Dwyer, they'll have some speed, size, playmaking ability as well as defensive responsibility. I really hope you're onto something and the minutes are distributed to allow for more ice time for Sutter's line.

The Hawks can hurt you any number of ways when they're on their game so Mo will have to roll 4 lines all night one way or another.

ROFLMAO!!!

Not even Mo will be able to keep sending out 2 lines against the Hawk's attack, they'll be gassed by the end of the 2nd period.

Not even Mo will be able to keep sending out 2 lines against the Hawk's attack, they'll be gassed by the end of the 2nd period.

Right. But he'll go with 3 lines. I don't expect the 4th line will see much ice in the 3rd period if we're behind. Much like the Ottawa game.

I definitely agree with those who have reservations about Turris. Other than the fact that he plays center, I don't think he brings anything to the table that we don't already have in-house except for high salary expectations and a potentially problematic attitude. If we were to actually play Dalpe on a scoring line after he returns from injury I think he would out-produce Turris' totals from last year at a fraction of the cost and without the entitlement issues.

The more I think about this angle the more I like it (if thats what going on here). Sutter has been fine playing with whoever he's given and teamed with Ponikarovski and Dwyer, they'll have some speed, size, playmaking ability as well as defensive responsibility. I really hope you're onto something and the minutes are distributed to allow for more ice time for Sutter's line.

Check out post 441.

In another thread the question was asked in zen-like fashion (as Tripp might say), when two third line wingers are put on the first line center's wings does that become the new first line, or the new third line.

I think you put your finger on it. Practically it depends on the minutes, and who the other team sees as the first line and then rolls it's best dpairing against.

I will bet a great deal of something that Mo sees LaRose, Staal, Tlusty as the new first line. Mo is NOT the type to mess with Staal. Staal will never be demoted by Mo, unless Staal comes up with the idea, and don't count on that.

However, I do think Mo might be saying...well, with what I have available for the first line that line ain't going to do much. Let's at least play some defense from the first line and see if we can get some scoring elsewhere.

And with a team like Chicago, we're going to need to play some defense. Of course we might also need 5 goals to win...

Check out post 441.

In another thread the question was asked in zen-like fashion (as Tripp might say), when two third line wingers are put on the first line center's wings does that become the new first line, or the new third line.

I think you put your finger on it. Practically it depends on the minutes, and who the other team sees as the first line and then rolls it's best dpairing against.

I will bet a great deal of something that Mo sees LaRose, Staal, Tlusty as the new first line. Mo is NOT the type to mess with Staal. Staal will never be demoted by Mo, unless Staal comes up with the idea, and don't count on that.

However, I do think Mo might be saying...well, with what I have available for the first line that line ain't going to do much. Let's at least play some defense from the first line and see if we can get some scoring elsewhere.

And with a team like Chicago, we're going to need to play some defense. Of course we might also need 5 goals to win...

Would not be a good thing to be Cam tonite!! OUCH,,OUCH,OUCH,OUCH 2 MINUTES INTO THE GAME!!------- Will probably almost hit 50 SOG's tonite!!