The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think the 12 up front are set and Dalpe is the only prospect making it to opening night. Tlusty and Dwyer fill ths last two spots. On defense, its the 7 with one way deals. I do wonder whether JR now regrets signing Kaberle.

You guys do realize that we have to give up somehting of value in order to get hemsky. That means trading Pitts, Gleason, Skinner, Staal, Sutter, or Ruutu, maybe even Dalpe. Do you really want that to happen? Do you honestly think a Allen/Boychuck combo will get us someone good?

I think the 12 up front are set and Dalpe is the only prospect making it to opening night. Tlusty and Dwyer fill ths last two spots. On defense, its the 7 with one way deals. I do wonder whether JR now regrets signing Kaberle.

I think you are right. JR kind of boxed himself in by resigning LaRose and Dwyer and Tlusty all on one ways, then replacing Cole with two players Stewart and Poni.

Really only leaves one spot without a trade or move. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing a move.

Interesting thought about Kaberle. He essentially replaced Corvo, so if we didn't have him we'd be pretty young on the back. If McBain is ready to fulfill his destiny, we'd be OK without Kabs. Personally I am looking forward to what Kaberle can bring, especially to the powerplay.

When I look up and down our defense, it seems that we will need either Pits or Kabs, but not both. Given the inevitable injury bug that we will not avoid two year in a row, and since Faulk and Murphy may not both be ready for primetime. I think we are good with them both this year.

But next year, when both Faulk and Murphy may be ready, and McBain will hopefully have solidified his position.....someone will have to go. Maybe a trade for a top winger.......I just can't stop. Then again, maybe Dalpe is that guy.

Edited by remkin

I agree with you guys one how this is shaping up.

But just one thing...

Last year was weird with the total lack of injuries. In previous years, we've had blown ACLs, broken legs, broken necks, rubber band groins -- you name it. Big, huge, long time open slots for some prospect to fill.

I'm not wishing that on us. No. But when it happens, then there's your opening.

I agree with you guys one how this is shaping up.

But just one thing...

Last year was weird with the total lack of injuries. In previous years, we've had blown ACLs, broken legs, broken necks, rubber band groins -- you name it. Big, huge, long time open slots for some prospect to fill.

I'm not wishing that on us. No. But when it happens, then there's your opening.

I don't doubt this. I think Faulk will be on speed dial. I'll wager he gets at least 15 games in Carolina this year on callups.

The question is whether Murphy stays on the roster for the first 10 games as the 8th d-man. Does anyone think JR would carry 8 for the first 10 games, let Murphy get a little taste before sending him back to Kitchener? Before the pre-season I would have said no way, but it's clear he's an exciting skater and can move the puck. I could see Harrison/Allen/Joslin (2 of them) being in the press box while Murphy gets 10 games to see what the NHL is like.

Edited by witchking-ch1

If I'm not mistaken earlier this summer JR mentioned carrying some extra young guns on the roster to promote a healthy competition. If one guy doesn't perform one night, the next game another player gets an opportunity. This might be how we see Murphy to begin the season. Don't ask me to find the interview/article because I'm currently on my phone at school. Anyone else remember this interview/article I'm talking of?

If I'm not mistaken earlier this summer JR mentioned carrying some extra young guns on the roster to promote a healthy competition. If one guy doesn't perform one night, the next game another player gets an opportunity. This might be how we see Murphy to begin the season. Don't ask me to find the interview/article because I'm currently on my phone at school. Anyone else remember this interview/article I'm talking of?

I do remember JR saying something about carrying a few extra bodies. We are obviously well under the cap, and if I'm reading the budget correctly, I think we're under PK's spending targets as well. Which means we could be seeing 1-2 extra forwards on the roster. Certainly a guy like Brett Sutter, who would have to clear waivers, makes sense to keep on the team as a 13th forward. We've obviously already got 7 d-men signed to one way contracts. I think it's possible that we carry Murphy for the 1st 10 games.

I still feel that we should cut ties with Tlusty and give that 4th line winger spot to either Sutter, Bowman or Samson, with one other staying on as the 13th guy, but I think Tlusty is a lock (for reasons I still can't comprehend).

It'll be interesting to see how many "extra" guys we carry. Obviously 1 on D for sure.

Well Tlusty won't be going anywhere soon. According to Chip via twitter Tlusty an Dalpe have impressed the most amongst the young guys fighting for spots. He also mentions that Maurice seems somewhat disappointed that the other players haven't done much. The game tonight will definitely be important to those fringe guys like Boychuk and Bowman. I also agree that Sutter should be in the mix for the 13th forward. His game seems to match Brent's for that 4th line.

It definitely is, that's why I'm totally disappointed that Bodie was not brought back. I'll never understand JRs flip flopping on his decisions with big 4th liners that'll drop the mits and provide energy.

It definitely is, that's why I'm totally disappointed that Bodie was not brought back. I'll never understand JRs flip flopping on his decisions with big 4th liners that'll drop the mits and provide energy.

I was never a fan of Bodie. I will give you he was a tough guy and I saw he scored a goal the other night. I guess you will be able to see him tonight . He is scheduled to start fourth line center for the Jets. IMO we will be better off without him.

The Canes will carry two extras, at least to start the year. One defender and one forward. That 8th defender will likely stay around, and I suspect it'll be Faulk with Murphy going to Kitchener.

Extra forward spot is up for grabs.

The Canes will carry two extras, at least to start the year. One defender and one forward. That 8th defender will likely stay around, and I suspect it'll be Faulk with Murphy going to Kitchener.

Extra forward spot is up for grabs.

Hmmm... I think an extra d-man is actually 7, which is how many we have signed on one-way deals: Pits, TKabs, Gleason, McBain, Allen, Harrison, Joslin. Most teams only dress 6 d-men (3 pairings), so the 7th is already an extra. I think JR will contemplate keeping Murphy as an 8th (sitting 2) for the first 10 games before sending him back to Kitchener. I think Faulk only gets called up when injuries occur or we trade one of those 7 one-wayers.

As for forwards, I really hope we keep 13 so that there's some competition.

I think JR will contemplate keeping Murphy as an 8th (sitting 2) for the first 10 games before sending him back to Kitchener. I think Faulk only gets called up when injuries occur or we trade one of those 7 one-wayers.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

On Murphy Mo needs to decide how much of a defensive liability he is. We can't afford to lose games early just to give Murphy a taste. That said, what little I've seen, this kid is special offensively, and might just make things happen enough to offset the defense. He just needs to get his defense passable.

On keeping some competition, definitely. Especially with the bottom 6 forwards, and the bottom 2 defenseman. Just tell them, "at this point you're in the rotation, keep playing well and you can move out of it, play poorly and the press box will happen." As long as the pressbox time is not too long and guys keep getting rotated you won't have prospects sitting for lots of games.

Guys like Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, Samson, don't need more AHL ice. They need to make it or break it in the NHL. They need to see NHL level ice time, so keeping one or two around for a while makes sense.

Tlusty might just surpise. First round pick, has upside. So many guys in the Tlusty, Samson, Bowman, Boychuk, range. One of them needs to step up.

Edited by remkin

Hmmm... I think an extra d-man is actually 7, which is how many we have signed on one-way deals: Pits, TKabs, Gleason, McBain, Allen, Harrison, Joslin. Most teams only dress 6 d-men (3 pairings), so the 7th is already an extra. I think JR will contemplate keeping Murphy as an 8th (sitting 2) for the first 10 games before sending him back to Kitchener. I think Faulk only gets called up when injuries occur or we trade one of those 7 one-wayers.

There will be a 13th forward. I stand corrected (they said no math!).

Murphy still goes to Kitchener, and I agree on the Faulk move. Could happen sooner than expected.

I agree with those that say Murphy gets an extended tryout. If he passes that test then I think you can most definitely expect a trade. I personally think they should give him a pat on the back and tell him what to work on in Kitchener. I would then expect him to make the team next season. On a little side note about the D, kudos to JR and company for stocking the cupboard with legit NHL D prospects in a short period of time. I believe exciting times lay ahead for the organization and I'm glad the JuiceMan and Joni decided to take discounts to ride it out.

Well Tlusty won't be going anywhere soon. According to Chip via twitter Tlusty an Dalpe have impressed the most amongst the young guys fighting for spots. He also mentions that Maurice seems somewhat disappointed that the other players haven't done much. The game tonight will definitely be important to those fringe guys like Boychuk and Bowman. I also agree that Sutter should be in the mix for the 13th forward. His game seems to match Brent's for that 4th line.

Chuck K. had some kind words for Tlusty last night during his play by play. Brent's break away goal was thing of beauty.

I don't even remember hearing Boychuk's name last night. That's not a good sign for him.

Chuck K. had some kind words for Tlusty last night during his play by play. Brent's break away goal was thing of beauty.

I don't even remember hearing Boychuk's name last night. That's not a good sign for him.

Boychuk has definitely disappeared. He appears to be well behind Samson, Bowman, Tlusty, The Other Sutter, etc.

Id say Murphy goes to Kitchner today and Faulk goes to Charlotte. We cant afford to give tryouts to young defrnseman with our schedule to open the season.

I'm not sure about the timing, but I agree 100% on the tryout issue. JR says this team is a playoff team and we should know better than any fans in the league just how important each game is. The best 18 skaters need to be on th ice each night.

Id say Murphy goes to Kitchner today and Faulk goes to Charlotte. We cant afford to give tryouts to young defrnseman with our schedule to open the season.

I think Faulk is going to survive this cut. I'm sure he will end up in Charlotte but not quite yet. As for Murphy, I'm just not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if was sent to Kitchner today. We might want to keep him around a little longer too.

Peters is a given to be cut and Boychuk. I think most our cuts will come up front and it looks like Tlusty and Dalpe are a lock to stay. I think Sutter (2) will stay for a while.