The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Brett Sutter has been sent back to Charlotte.

He had one assist in four games with the Hurricanes.

Read More

Did it qualify as an emergency call up or will he be subject to being claimed by another team?

Production rates, 10 games in...

I posted these throughout last season, and thought it might be interesting to take a snapshot at this point this season.

This is a very small sample, so take it for what it's worth. Keep in mind that there are a number of players that have only played a few of the 10 games, or just generally have had limited ice time. Still, perhaps it is of some interest this early in the season.

Like last season, I have combined even strength and power play stats to calculate the numbers (Shorthanded stats are not included, which currently penalized Sutter, Brent and Tlusty.)

The production rate reflects goals + points per 60 minutes played.

(i.e. goals + points / toi * 60)

(i.e. goals count twice as much as assists.)

This only shows production - obviously players bring more to the game than this will indicate.

I have included the production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here.

This season, 10 games in:

10 g *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.80 Jeff Skinner (4.12)

3.75 *Anthony Stewart

3.38 *Tim Brent

3.25 Jussi Jokinen (3.71)

3.12 Tuomo Ruutu (3.32)

2.57 Eric Staal (3.72)

2.50 Jiri Tlusty (1.93)

2.35 Chad LaRose (2.07)

2.34 Brandon Sutter (2.12)

2.31 *Brett Sutter

1.56 Alexei Ponikarovsky

0.88 Patrick Dwyer (1.45)

0.00 *Zac Dalpe (3.56)

0.00 *Zach Boychuk (2.67)

As a comparison, this is last season's numbers after game 10 (and the previous full season when available):

3.66 Jeff Skinner

3.02 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.82 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.67 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

2.59 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

2.42 Eric Staal (3.88)

2.10 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

2.05 Chad LaRose (2.66)

1.98 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

1.71 Patrick O'Sullivan

1.30 Zac Dalpe

0.61 Tom Kostopoulos (1.69)

0.00 Drayson Bowman (2.22)

0.00 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

A few notes:

- For all the hand-wringing over Staal's slow start, it's actually an improvement from last season.

- Ruutu and Jokinen are also behind last season's full season number, but ahead of where they were after 10 games last season.

- Tlusty, LaRose and Sutter have all started off this season ahead of both last season's full season numbers and last season's first 10 games.

- Last season, Skinner improved over his first 10 number (3.66) to end up with 4.12. This season, he has 4.80 after 10 games, so at the end of the season he should end up.... (Just kidding - it really is a small sample size.)

Production rates, 10 games in...

I posted these throughout last season, and thought it might be interesting to take a snapshot at this point this season.

This is a very small sample, so take it for what it's worth. Keep in mind that there are a number of players that have only played a few of the 10 games, or just generally have had limited ice time. Still, perhaps it is of some interest this early in the season.

Like last season, I have combined even strength and power play stats to calculate the numbers (Shorthanded stats are not included, which currently penalized Sutter, Brent and Tlusty.)

The production rate reflects goals + points per 60 minutes played.

(i.e. goals + points / toi * 60)

(i.e. goals count twice as much as assists.)

This only shows production - obviously players bring more to the game than this will indicate.

I have included the production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here.

This season, 10 games in:

10 g *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.80 Jeff Skinner (4.12)

3.75 *Anthony Stewart

3.38 *Tim Brent

3.25 Jussi Jokinen (3.71)

3.12 Tuomo Ruutu (3.32)

2.57 Eric Staal (3.72)

2.50 Jiri Tlusty (1.93)

2.35 Chad LaRose (2.07)

2.34 Brandon Sutter (2.12)

2.31 *Brett Sutter

1.56 Alexei Ponikarovsky

0.88 Patrick Dwyer (1.45)

0.00 *Zac Dalpe (3.56)

0.00 *Zach Boychuk (2.67)

As a comparison, this is last season's numbers after game 10 (and the previous full season when available):

3.66 Jeff Skinner

3.02 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.82 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.67 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

2.59 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

2.42 Eric Staal (3.88)

2.10 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

2.05 Chad LaRose (2.66)

1.98 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

1.71 Patrick O'Sullivan

1.30 Zac Dalpe

0.61 Tom Kostopoulos (1.69)

0.00 Drayson Bowman (2.22)

0.00 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

A few notes:

- For all the hand-wringing over Staal's slow start, it's actually an improvement from last season.

- Ruutu and Jokinen are also behind last season's full season number, but ahead of where they were after 10 games last season.

- Tlusty, LaRose and Sutter have all started off this season ahead of both last season's full season numbers and last season's first 10 games.

- Last season, Skinner improved over his first 10 number (3.66) to end up with 4.12. This season, he has 4.80 after 10 games, so at the end of the season he should end up.... (Just kidding - it really is a small sample size.)

Always the voice of reason :)

If the Canes somehow win tonight, ending Oct with a record of 5-3-3 isn't so awful.

Factoid from NESN: (posted previously in a GDT)

The teams ending October in the top 8 of their conference have a 78.5% chance of making the playoffs.

The teams ending October out of the top 8 have a 21.5% chance of making the playoffs

Now that October is over, I was looking at a few things that gave us so much trouble last year, like the barrage of shots our goalies face, the PP, and the ability to win face offs.

Through 11 games, and compared to the league, we rank:

Goals Against/Game = 25th (-7 goal differential)

Shots Allowed/Game = 28th

Power Play % = 24th

Faceoff % = 25th

It's early, but to me that's troubling, and if this is a trend, then finding ourselves a chair when the music stops is questionable.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Now that October is over, I was looking at a few things that gave us so much trouble last year, like the barrage of shots our goalies face, the PP, and the ability to win face offs.

Power Play % = 24th

Faceoff % = 25th

It's early, but to me that's troubling, and if this is a trend, then finding ourselves a chair when the music stops is questionable.

Coastal, those are just stats. The important stat is where we are in the standings.

mediocredave looks at the standings..."Nevermind"

Yes you are right, they are just stats. But they are team stats, and the only way I can see to be objective about the way we started in October. As a team, I just don't see a whole lot of improvement so far in the things that resulted in the 9th place finish last year.

Yes you are right, they are just stats. But they are team stats, and the only way I can see to be objective about the way we started in October. As a team, I just don't see a whole lot of improvement so far in the things that resulted in the 9th place finish last year.

I agree with you. For me as a fan and trying to be objective is difficult. Riding the high and low of this team doesn't make it easier. I keep hoping we can put it all together and I do see some improvement over last season. Yet like you I don't see a whole lot of improvement. The stats seem to validate that opinion.

Coastal, those are just stats. The important stat is where we are in the standings.

mediocredave looks at the standings..."Nevermind"

That was a joke, y'all. The team still stinks in the statistical areas that they have stunk in the past. The result is the same.

Power Play % = 24th

Faceoff % = 25th

Those are indeed troubling stats.

The thing is, I am thinking this is a tale of two teams. I bet if you pull out those stats on the wins we are better in all of them. I know that seems obvious, but I think that the issue is consistency. On the good nights we seem to do everything well, on the bad nights we look like an AHL team vs. an NHL team. We're not so much a mediocre team night in and night out, but a very good team and then a very good not so much team depending on the night.

I'll tell you one thing. If our PP is going to stay 24th then the reasons to keep TKabs are few. Move him for a top 6 forward.

Last year's team brought the consistent effort, but couldn't gun with the top dogs, this team is just plain inconsistent. The encouraging thing is that we have beaten or almost beaten some really good teams and there are a lot of really good teams on the schedule. But of course we also lose to bad teams. Arrrgh.

Edited by remkin

I'll tell you one thing. If our PP is going to stay 24th then the reasons to keep TKabs are few. Move him for a top 6 forward.

Yeah! Great idea. But who would want to trade?

I think to make a trade JR would have to sweeten the pot with a draft pick or prospect.

Yeah! Great idea. But who would want to trade?

I think to make a trade JR would have to sweeten the pot with a draft pick or prospect.

Of course with trades it depends on who we're getting back as to who else I'd move, but TKabs should be a pretty decent chip to a team that needs a puck mover. This guy was #30 in the league for assists, not defenseman, all players, he was the #3 Dman for assists and had just one fewer than #2. Puck movers are always in demand.

I would have said Boychuk, but I doubt his trade value is high right now, so I'd start playing him to see if we want to keep or at least increase his trade value.

It so speculative without knowing what's coming back though.

I'd say JR has to be staring at the same things:

- We are an inconsistent team. Some of this is on the coaching. But how much of this is the schedule of back-to-backs, the competition we're facing and the number of new faces in the lineup? JR has to take that last in to account before he decides to make more major changes.

- Our 1st line isn't what anyone expected it would be. Certainly in the offseason the expectation was that Jokinen and one of either Poni or Stewart would be alongside Staal. Instead we have Tlusty and LaRose. To be fair, Tlusty and LaRose have actually played well, while Staal is still in a scoring funk. JR has to weigh how much longer he lets the funk go on: does Staal work his way out of it regardless of who's beside him on the wings, or does JR need to pull the trigger on something that gets Staal a legit 1st wing mate?

- Our PP is horrid. TKabs was brought in to help out and hasn't. With Joslin and Faulk sitting around playing tiddlywinks in the press box, a D-man should be up for grabs and TKabs would be my vote. But again, how much longer does JR let that play out for the obvious reasons? Is the PP in a slump, is TKabs in a slump? All of the whole "we brought Frank's brother home" sentimental nonsense.

As I have stated before, the East is going to be extremely competitive this year. The teams that were in the top 8 last year all made offseason moves to get better. Boston is obviously suffering a Cup hangover but they won't be at the bottom all season, I suspect. They have too much talent. The teams that didn't make the playoffs last year all made changes to try and get there, including us. But I'd consider the changes we made to be low budget moves, while others made more of a splash.

Bottom line: 11 games in and JR can see what experiments have worked (to be candid, none of them really) and what ones haven't (TKabs, Poni/Stewart as top liners). Now he has to decide how quickly he pulls the plug on the experiment and what he could possibly find to try and fix it. Because a better fix would have happened back in July when he was thinking hard about it, not now when he has to pull the trigger this early in the season on failed experiments.

For all those who have been waiting to hear from Jim Rutherford, Michael Smith discussed different topics with him this morning. He'll post some of this discussion in his Hurricanes Monthly Report to be posted soon.

Teaser: "He certainly should be with the Hurricanes as a regular player next year."- Jim Rutherford on Ryan Murphy

Rutherford also said Murphy would likely join the Canes or Checkers at the conclusion of his Junior season.

Practice update 10/31

• everyone present for practice, Boychuk included
  • Dalpe skating in a white jersey
  • Decision on Boychuk will likely be made based on Dalpe's progress
  • No changes in the line up
  • Power play being worked at both ends of the ice. Unit 1- Jokinen, Staal, Skinner, Pitkanen, McBain. Unit 2 - Poni, LaRose, Ruutu, Harrison, Kaberle.
  • Staal and Sutter working on faceoffs with Brind'Amour, Tim Brent and Jussi also taking turns

For all those who have been waiting to hear from Jim Rutherford, Michael Smith discussed different topics with him this morning. He'll post some of this discussion in his Hurricanes Monthly Report to be posted soon.

Teaser: "He certainly should be with the Hurricanes as a regular player next year."- Jim Rutherford on Ryan Murphy

Rutherford also said Murphy would likely join the Canes or Checkers at the conclusion of his Junior season.

Practice update 10/31

• everyone present for practice, Boychuk included
  • Dalpe skating in a white jersey
  • Decision on Boychuk will likely be made based on Dalpe's progress
  • No changes in the line up
  • Power play being worked at both ends of the ice. Unit 1- Jokinen, Staal, Skinner, Pitkanen, McBain. Unit 2 - Poni, LaRose, Ruutu, Harrison, Kaberle
  • Staal and Sutter working on faceoffs with Brind'Amour, Tim Brent and Jussi also taking turns

I like Boychuk enough that he should be given a chance on the top line, replacing either Tlusty or LaRose. If we're not giving him that chance, then he's just toiling away for 5 minutes on our useless 4th line, so he might as well be sent back to Charlotte.

For that matter, if Dalpe is getting healthy to just skate 5 minutes on the 4th line, I'd send him to Charlotte too.

We either need to give these guys a shot at being in the NHL playing significant minutes on scoring lines, or let them continue to develop that scoring touch in the AHL.

Chip Alexander@ Ice_chip

Of back end, Maurice says everyone is "on notice" after third period in Philly.

I wish "on notice" meant something. Talk is cheap.

I think we should give Boychuk a look.

Look at the video and drop someone off the top 6 and put Boychuk in.

TTS: October 2011 Monthly Report - Michael Smith

“I think we’re a .500 team. We’ve had a couple runs,” defenseman Tim Gleason said. “I think there are a lot of good signs that we’re coming to compete, and I think in the next month, we have to find a way to put 60 minutes together more often.”

Ouch, has he been reading the Maurice thread?

TTS: October 2011 Monthly Report - Michael Smith

“I think we’re a .500 team. We’ve had a couple runs,” defenseman Tim Gleason said. “I think there are a lot of good signs that we’re coming to compete, and I think in the next month, we have to find a way to put 60 minutes together more often.”

Ouch, has he been reading the Maurice thread?

ouch.