The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

TTS: October 2011 Monthly Report - Michael Smith

“I think we’re a .500 team. We’ve had a couple runs,” defenseman Tim Gleason said. “I think there are a lot of good signs that we’re coming to compete, and I think in the next month, we have to find a way to put 60 minutes together more often.”

Ouch, has he been reading the Maurice thread?

The problem is..It's been that way for the last 3 seasons,not just the 1st month of this season!!!

http://watch.tsn.ca/...0556#clip560556

Darren Dreger mentions breifly how he thinks if Jussi Jokinen is out JR may pull the trigger on a trade for a top 6 forward.

I hate to admit that I thought this after seeing Jussi's bended ankle/knee. Jussi is our top playmaker and our #2 forward right now. On a team that already had a deep need for a top 6 forward already, then Staal and Ruutu struggling, and now this and the loss of the beautiful chemistry developing between Jussi and Skinner...not good.

Our offense now will even more scrappy.

JR has a choice to make. Go full on with the young guns and cast-offs that he accumulated this year, and just fill the top 6 with them and hope. Or go out and make the move we've needed since one Eric Cole slipped into French speaking terrain.

To me the question was how long Jussi is out. Now we know 3-4 weeks, 11-15 games, 17% of the season, barring no setbacks, and even if he comes back at game 12, it takes a few games to get your timing back. So we are looking at likely 15 games of need.

On the one hand JR can't sit back forever and wait for the perfect deal, on the other hand JR sometimes needs a little nudge to make even a semi big trade. This also gives JR cover to let down the traded dman lightly, "Thomas, as you can see, we had no choice."

With Dalpe not ready, I think he has even less choice. Somehow if Dalpe were ready I think JR would try him and go with what we have. Now..he might not have much of a choice. I like Bowman, but he has not shown NHL scoring chops yet.

Now, move Boychuk up. I'm telling you he is ready. Then, start really really looking for that top guy.

Then when Jussi comes back the pieces will be there for a serious run, and hopefully we'll still be in the hunt.

We need some playoffs around here this year.

Edited by remkin

ice_chipChip Alexander - Jokinen out 3-4 weeks, Rutherford says. Drayson Bowman to be called up from Checkers. Dalpe will be assigned to Charlotte for conditioning.

This sure isn't what I wanted to see. Jokinen has played so well as the anchor to the second line. Here is the link to the story @ Canes Now

I'll take a badly sprained MCL over a blown out ACL anyday. Hopefully they'll see some good healing within that 4 week window to avoid surgery. I'm not a doctor but it sure sounds like it could go either way.

Ouch on the Jokinen news. Not only is he playing great with Skinner but he's one of our key centers... and we lack those.

The lines should be interesting. Does Ruutu move back to center temporarily? Does Boychuk move up? Does Stewart?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ouch on the Jokinen news. Not only is he playing great with Skinner but he's one of our key centers... and we lack those.

The lines should be interesting. Does Ruutu move back to center temporarily? Does Boychuk move up? Does Stewart?

Inquiring minds want to know.

OBXer posted that Bowman was called up and Dalpe was sent to Charlotte for conditioning. Bowman has experience and when Dalpe is ready maybe he'll finally get his shot. Frustrating when it looked like we were finally seeing some chemistry with certain players.

So do the Canes throw their hat into the Kyle Turris sweepstakes? He'll be expensive but we have the room and he fits the JR mold. Disgruntled player who needs a fresh start on the Island of Misfits :)

I would pass on Turris..

I think we need more of a temporary center, since I think both Nash and Rask will be competing for a full-time spot with the Canes soon. Would any of you be ok with Lombardi coming here? It would be a calculated risk with his medical history, but he seems to fit the Carolina mold of guys who play both C and W. I think he's not so bad at the FO circle, as well..

Edited by jeromeo87

I can't say that I know much about him. Can anyone fill us folks in that aren't familiar with him?

I don't see the Leafs trading Lombardi already. Yes he has concussion problems but if I'm not mistaken the Leafs don't have much depth at the center position. They traded for him before training camp so why would they trade him again 12 games into the season? Rutherford will wait it out a couple games and then just put a band aide on a torn artery.

Thanks to jeromeo87 with the heads up on the Bowman recall. Here is the official word.

Canes to Recall Drayson Bowman from Charlotte

Zac Dalpe activated from injured reserve, assigned to AHL affiliate

Wednesday, 11.02.2011 / 11:35 AM / News By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will recall forward Drayson Bowman from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). The Hurricanes have also activated forward Zac Dalpe from injured reserve and assigned him to Charlotte.

Bowman, 22, has totaled five goals and two assists (7 points) in 10 games with Charlotte this season. He is tied for first among Checkers skaters in goals (5) and leads the team with a plus-5 plus/minus rating. Born in Grand Rapids, MI, but raised in Littleton, CO, Bowman has totaled two goals, one assist (3 points) and 16 penalty minutes in 32 career NHL games with the Hurricanes. Carolina’s second-round draft pick (72nd overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Bowman (6’1”, 190 lbs.) has tallied 34 goals and 35 assists (69 points) in 117 career AHL games with Albany and Charlotte.

Dalpe, 22, has skated in five games with Carolina this season, earning a plus-1 plus/minus rating. The Paris, Ont., native suffered a lower-body injury on Oct. 14 against the Buffalo Sabres, and was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 25. Dalpe (6’1”, 195 lbs.) has earned four points (3g, 1a) in 20 career NHL games with the Hurricanes. He has totaled 65 points (29g, 36a) in 70 career AHL games with Albany and Charlotte.

So do the Canes throw their hat into the Kyle Turris sweepstakes? He'll be expensive but we have the room and he fits the JR mold. Disgruntled player who needs a fresh start on the Island of Misfits :)

I think we will pursue all possible options. I expect that will include Turris. I don't know much about him either. from what I read he appears t be an under achiever with high expectations. I guess that does fit the JR mold.

I think we are most likely to deal with a team that needs Blue Line help. I just don't know which one.

I doubt we go after Turris, but who knows. It kinda depends on who's available out there. Gotta look at some of the teams that are underachieving right now and see if they're interesting in blue line help.

Detroit has lost 5 straight and lost Rafalski in the offseason. I know they tried to plug that hole with Ian White but maybe they'd consider TKabs. Calgary is playing poorly. Anaheim is a -7 in the GF/GA column and is last in their division.

So there are definitely teams out there who have started slowly compared to expectations and might be looking for a little shake-me-up. The question is whether we have what anyone wants and whether they have something we want.

For instance, what about a guy like Jiri Hudler, Drew Miller or Darren Helm from the Wings? One of those guys for TKabs + prospect might work.

Almost everyone is underachieving in Calgary and Matt Stajan appears to have fallen from favor there. There's even been rumors of them sending to the AHL. Not sure I'd give up a ton for him, but he's a center who almost 100 goals and 271 points in over 500 games, only 28 years old. He's signed through 2014, and while he's making $4.5M this year his salary drops to $2.5M the final two years of his deal.

I doubt we go after Turris, but who knows. It kinda depends on who's available out there. Gotta look at some of the teams that are underachieving right now and see if they're interesting in blue line help.

Detroit has lost 5 straight and lost Rafalski in the offseason. I know they tried to plug that hole with Ian White but maybe they'd consider TKabs. Calgary is playing poorly. Anaheim is a -7 in the GF/GA column and is last in their division.

So there are definitely teams out there who have started slowly compared to expectations and might be looking for a little shake-me-up. The question is whether we have what anyone wants and whether they have something we want.

For instance, what about a guy like Jiri Hudler, Drew Miller or Darren Helm from the Wings? One of those guys for TKabs + prospect might work.

Almost everyone is underachieving in Calgary and Matt Stajan appears to have fallen from favor there. There's even been rumors of them sending to the AHL. Not sure I'd give up a ton for him, but he's a center who almost 100 goals and 271 points in over 500 games, only 28 years old. He's signed through 2014, and while he's making $4.5M this year his salary drops to $2.5M the final two years of his deal.

I think I remember Rene Bourque's name popping up in some chatter. Either way I think it'll be a Western Conference team if JR does decide to pull the trigger on something. I think he'll wait to see what some of the younger guys can do first though.

Did anyone happen to go to the luncheon with JR today? I know somebody posted not long ago about attending one of these. My wife's boss was there today but I won't talk to him until this evening about what was discussed.

As Canes fans, I think it's easy for us to under-value TKabs - he hasn't really done anything for us. However, Kaberle is still held in high regard by many in the league, and I think we could still receive a good trade from him by someone who needs offensive help on the blueline. Your trade proposal could be an extreme overpay for what we would be getting in return.

As Canes fans, I think it's easy for us to under-value TKabs - he hasn't really done anything for us. However, Kaberle is still held in high regard by many in the league, and I think we could still receive a good trade from him by someone who needs offensive help on the blueline. Your trade proposal could be an extreme overpay for what we would be getting in return.

I think age comes into it as well. All three of the guys I mentioned are in their mid to late 20s, whereas Kabs is in his early 30s. You kind of expect that Kabs is on his last contract, while those guys could contribute for another 10 years.

Some interesting factoids from Michael Smith:

• When leading after 2 periods, the Canes are 5-0-0. Tied after 2 they are 0-2-1, and trailing after two they are 0-2-2.
  • The Canes haven't lost in regulation (4-0-2) this season when scoring at least one PP goal. Not scoring a PP goal, they are 1-4-1.
  • He has Poinkarovsky moved up the 2nd line with Skinner and Ruutu but wouldn't be surprised if Bowman or Boychuk were moved up.

A TRADE IS IN THE WORKS hey guys I just got some breaking news from a luncheon that occured today and Jim Rutherford was present. He confirmed that "a trade would be made for a winger for Staals line in the next couple months." He said we would be giving up a Dman. He said Joslin deserves more minutes but because of his mono he can't play right now. He feels that when healthy he can play on the 2nd powerplay unit which suggests he is in high regard. They are in the process of acquiring a forward to complement Staal. There was a lady at the luncheon and she asked who and Rutherford jokingly replied with "Rick Nash" and some other highly esteemed players. He said and I quote that they are looking for someone "who makes sense for the organization." and then went on to say that Faulk will be up for the 2nd half of the year for experience because they don't want to be breaking in him and Murphy next year!. He is also reportedly pleased with Victor Rask's development.

so who could the Dman be on the chopping blocks?

Edited by MeleeRayRay

A TRADE IS IN THE WORKS hey guys I just got some breaking news from a luncheon that occured today and Jim Rutherford was present. He confirmed that "a trade would be made for a winger for Staals line in the next couple months." He said we would be giving up a Dman. He said Joslin deserves more minutes but because of his mono he can't play right now. He feels that when healthy he can play on the 2nd powerplay unit which suggests he is in high regard. They are in the process of acquiring a forward to complement Staal. There was a lady at the luncheon and she asked who and Rutherford jokingly replied with "Rick Nash" and some other highly esteemed players. He said and I quote that they are looking for someone "who makes sense for the organization." and then went on to say that Faulk will be up for the 2nd half of the year for experience because they don't want to be breaking in him and Murphy next year!. He is also reportedly pleased with Victor Rask's development.

so who could the Dman be on the chopping blocks?

Next couple of months?.. I wish it was more like the next couple of weeks..

If this is true, it's interesting they are going after a winger for Staal, instead of a 2nd line center; but like I said, I think Rask and Nash will be competing very soon for that spot.

As far as the dman, you have to think they would prefer to deal Kaberle. He's making $3-$4 mil and isn't really producing..

Thanks Ray Ray! I think Thomas Kaberle makes the most sense. Don't forget two things about him: he was the most coveted free agent defensemen in the offseason and most defensemen don't hit their prime until they are in his age range. I think Allen is at the end of his contract here, though, so that's something to think about.