The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

i sure hope it's not Allen, i've been very impressed so far, he seems to have good chemistry out there and i think we need him out there. Another possibility is McBain I would be kind of sad to see this happen also but it may be what we need to do. Obv Kaberle would be my first choice to go

Yeah, Allen has been fantastic. I hope we can keep him, too - it's almost like having another Gleason on the ice. His price tag may be an issue when it comes to resigning him. You know how cheap we have to be and if we are bringing in a top 6 forward, that money must be spent elsewhere. But again, Kaberle is kinda expendable... more so than Allen I would say - we have a ton of offensive defensemen.

Yeah, Allen has been fantastic. I hope we can keep him, too - it's almost like having another Gleason on the ice. His price tag may be an issue when it comes to resigning him. You know how cheap we have to be and if we are bringing in a top 6 forward, that money must be spent elsewhere. But again, Kaberle is kinda expendable... more so than Allen I would say - we have a ton of offensive defensemen.

Just "kinda expendable"? I was a little excited when we brought him in, but he hasn't really done anything.. I think he's really expendable, especially with that price tag.

I like his look: the stringy hair, scarred face and missing teeth. He oozes meanness. He also has some serious needed size.

And you know what? He gives a pretty good interview.

Michael Smith @msmithcanes tweeted that Rutuu was centering Stewart and Skinner while Brent was between Bowman and Boychuk at practice this morning. The Staal and Sutter lines remained unchanged.

Depth Chart

Michael Smith @msmithcanes tweeted that Rutuu was centering Stewart and Skinner while Brent was between Bowman and Boychuk at practice this morning. The Staal and Sutter lines remained unchanged.

Depth Chart

Good lord is Maurice ever going to give our young guys a chance in the top 6? This would seem to be a golden opportunity to do just that, but instead he moves up Stewart and leaves the call-ups on the 4th line. I have nothing against Stewart and hope he produces, but I just thought now would be a logical time to try out a young gun in a prime spot and see if they can hang.

I like his look: the stringy hair, scarred face and missing teeth. He oozes meanness. He also has some serious needed size.

And you know what? He gives a pretty good interview.

It'll be interesting to see which d-man is on the block. I think a lot of it has to do with perceived value and the type of d-man the team you're trading with is looking for.

TKabs - I think he disappointed in Boston and he hasn't done anything with us to change that opinion. I don't think he was as sought after in free agency as some believe. After all, he was still available after we made the deal with Boston to send them Corvo. That didn't happen on day 1. The concern here is that his value isn't very high, because he hasn't proven that he could play real well outside of Toronto.

Allen - in the offseason I said we should deal him and several people got on me. I do have to say that he's playing great right now, perhaps our top d-man. BUT. That means his value is high. He's making $2.9M in the last year of his deal. Would we re-sign him given the d-men behind him (Faulk, Murphy, etc)? I would guess that we would not, even though he's the kind of d-man we need. My feeling is that his play right now is raising his value, making him a better trade chip than he would have been in the offseason.

McBain - it would be tough to give up on a young guy with potential upside, but I can also see that with Faulk and Murphy behind him he might be a little more expendable -- if the trading partner really wants him -- than he would have been a season ago.

GREAT news on Jussi! Per Chip:

Good news on Jussi. Could skate on own tomorrow Maurice says. Close to "day to day"

Maurice says Jokinen had 2 MRIs. Got results last night. "We dodged a bullet," Maurice says.

To clarify, Maurice says Jokinen closer to being "day to day" then week to week. Very good news obviously for Canes.

That news may further diminish the chance of JR going out and getting a top-6 guy to fill the void. Still, absolutely fantastic to hear one of our top producers will be back sooner than expected.

That news may further diminish the chance of JR going out and getting a top-6 guy to fill the void. Still, absolutely fantastic to hear one of our top producers will be back sooner than expected.

great news indeed!

Good lord is Maurice ever going to give our young guys a chance in the top 6? This would seem to be a golden opportunity to do just that, but instead he moves up Stewart and leaves the call-ups on the 4th line. I have nothing against Stewart and hope he produces, but I just thought now would be a logical time to try out a young gun in a prime spot and see if they can hang.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm going to defend Mo here a little bit.

#1 - he is giving some of the youngsters a shot in the top 6: Tlusty. This guy is young, has worked through injuries the past couple of years, and while he's not lighting the world on fire, he's playing really well. I will be the first to eat crow here, because I was stumped as to why we re-signed him, thought Boychuk/Bowman/Samson should have been able to gain a roster spot instead of him, and was baffled when he was in the top 9 in the 1st place. Now he's top line and continuing to work hard and play well. I hope the goals start coming for him and he keeps making me munch this tasty black bird.

#2 - as far as putting either Bowman or Boychuk on 2nd line instead of Stewart, I think there's some psychology behind this. Last year, when Ruutu played center, one of his biggest weaknesses was that he played the center position as if he was still a power forward. He made checks up ice that left the middle open on the other end. He wasn't getting back to do the little things a center should be doing. By putting Stewart next to him, Mo is saying "look, Ruu, you have a big body next to you. It's HIS job to finish checks in the corner, it's HIS job to get the pressure in the corners and free up ice for you and Skins. YOU HAVE TO BACK-CHECK." As much as I want Boychuk to get a shot in the top 6, I don't want him there if it means Ruutu plays center like he did last year. I hope that Stewart helps with that.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm going to defend Mo here a little bit.

#1 - he is giving some of the youngsters a shot in the top 6: Tlusty. This guy is young, has worked through injuries the past couple of years, and while he's not lighting the world on fire, he's playing really well. I will be the first to eat crow here, because I was stumped as to why we re-signed him, thought Boychuk/Bowman/Samson should have been able to gain a roster spot instead of him, and was baffled when he was in the top 9 in the 1st place. Now he's top line and continuing to work hard and play well. I hope the goals start coming for him and he keeps making me munch this tasty black bird.

#2 - as far as putting either Bowman or Boychuk on 2nd line instead of Stewart, I think there's some psychology behind this. Last year, when Ruutu played center, one of his biggest weaknesses was that he played the center position as if he was still a power forward. He made checks up ice that left the middle open on the other end. He wasn't getting back to do the little things a center should be doing. By putting Stewart next to him, Mo is saying "look, Ruu, you have a big body next to you. It's HIS job to finish checks in the corner, it's HIS job to get the pressure in the corners and free up ice for you and Skins. YOU HAVE TO BACK-CHECK." As much as I want Boychuk to get a shot in the top 6, I don't want him there if it means Ruutu plays center like he did last year. I hope that Stewart helps with that.

Those are two very well thought out points. I completely agree about Tlusty, and I have to really consider the point about Stewart, though I am not as sure about that one. Boychuk actually has put a premium on getting back, but you may be right. There is something to paying the dues and showing the willingness to play hard on the 4th line despite thinking you are a top 6 guy should probably be rewarded, and Stewart has put up goals in the NHL, but man I'd like to see Boychuk get a shot right now.

On Jussi that is amazing and incredibly good news. On the one hand JR does not have to make a move and can sit back and peruse offers for the best deal, on the other hand JR can sit back and not make a seemingly needed move. Still, no Jussi for 15 games would have hurt far more. Great news, but JR still needs to find that guy.

Based on the article just posted on the home page, it appears that while Stewart is slotted on the 2nd line, any of the 4th liners may rotate with him from time to time. Seems reasonable enough to try out different combinations and seeing if any of them are more effective than the others.

Based on the article just posted on the home page, it appears that while Stewart is slotted on the 2nd line, any of the 4th liners may rotate with him from time to time. Seems reasonable enough to try out different combinations and seeing if any of them are more effective than the others.

I would expect that if Stewart doesn't click and maybe even if he does Boychuk and or Bowman will get a look in the top 6. I look at this as an opportunity for Stewart. he was brought in with what seemed to be high expectation he would improve on his last year numbers. Since training camp he has been playing 4th line and I think playing it well. But this is his chance to show what he can do.

Great news about Jussi. We will miss him while he is out so the sooner he can get back the better.

There has been a lot of talk about our first line not really being a legitimate first line, apart from Staal. I think we should take a serious look at Jarome Iginla. Granted he is 34 but I respect his tenacity and all-out effort night in and night out. It is time for the Flames to shake things up. I would love to see Iginla as a Hurricane and think he would be a welcomed spark for our team and its bevy of young rising players, in addition to providing a great linemate for Staal. Come on, new ownership partners, let's start out with a bang. Go get us a first line.

There has been a lot of talk about our first line not really being a legitimate first line, apart from Staal. I think we should take a serious look at Jarome Iginla. Granted he is 34 but I respect his tenacity and all-out effort night in and night out. It is time for the Flames to shake things up. I would love to see Iginla as a Hurricane and think he would be a welcomed spark for our team and its bevy of young rising players, in addition to providing a great linemate for Staal. Come on, new ownership partners, let's start out with a bang. Go get us a first line.

#1 Iginla is, at you point out, 34. #2, his salary is really not in PK's ballpark.

I think he's past his prime playing days. I think we should be looking for someone who is at most 30 and can play with the Canes and Staal for the next 5 years or so. I would love to get a Backstrom/Ovechkin kind of annual chemistry going with Staal and ?. But I wouldn't lay it on the line for Iginla.

I think we should take a serious look at Jarome Iginla.

Is there any sense that Calgary is ready to move him?

As for him on this team, HECK yes. Look, I'm very age sensitive after watching the last two years of Brind'Amour's otherwise stellar career, but 34 is not 38. The man netted 43 goals last year, he has averaged 40 goals the last 4 seasons and actually put up 50 and 52 in his career. Like you said he plays hard night in and night out, and he is remarkably durable. He has played every single game of the past 4+ years, and never played less than 70 games.

Put him next to Staal and we are playoff bound without question.

BUT, what would Calgary want in return, and if I'm not mistaken he is making $7 million/year.

We'd have to clear a lot of salary. Kabs at $4mill, LaRose at $1.5Mill, Poni 1.5 mill = $7 million. Hmmmm.

Just wonder what they'd want back.

PK speaking to the media at 11:30 today according to MSmith on twitter. wonder what that is about? I guess could be ownership stuff. Interesting.

The thing is that I'm not so sure that we do need a guy for 4 plus years. Not sure how many years left on Iginla's contract, but a couple of years might be perfect. We do have some guys that we are looking to moving forward that would hopefully be coming into their own in a couple of years.

As for the playoff thing, this team has had a somewhat rough schedule with road games, back to backs and played some very good teams and is 5-4-3 in the #8 slot. And that with Staal (and Ruutu) not really at their A game. We have a world class goalie. I have no doubt that adding Jerome Iginla puts us squarely in the playoffs. Now it is a pipe dream that we could get him, but he was #6 in points last year, and #3 in goals. He had more goals that both Sedins, Ovechkin, Nash, etc, etc, etc. He was only two shy of Stamkos. He is arguably instantly the best player on our team.

Plus, so long as we don't give up Skinner, Staal, Ruutu, or Jokinen. he would essentially be replacing roughly 25-30 points as he pushes out say the #6 guy (really would be pushing out the #9 guy).

Thus he would add 55-60 points and 25-30 goals single handedly. Not to mention drawing the defense away from Staal, and chemistry with Staal.

Jokinen-Staal-Iglina

Sknner-Ruutu-Tlusty

Sutter

Put any number of guys on the third line wings: Stewart, Boychuk, Dwywer, LaRose (if not traded), etc. we have a ton of them.

That has to be good for several wins. Which is good enough for the playoffs.

That would be so un JR that combined with what we'd have to give up and the unwillingness of GM's to trade their stars makes this next to impossible. But it would not be crazy for us just based on salary if we dumped the salaries listed above.

At least it is a thought in the right direction, at least IMHO.

I agree that we'd need to dump salary similar to what we'd be getting in return, but there's no way Calgary gives up their star for TKabs, Poni and LaRose. That's a horrible deal for them.

I think TKabs would have to be included, as he's the big money guy here. I think if Calgary is thinking full-on rebuild though that they'd be much more interested in some of our prospects, and that's where things get dicey for us. Would we be willing to part with Boychuk? I'd guess yes. But again, Boychuk + what? And how would we get the money to work out?

I agree that it's un-JR like. I think he's more likely to find a guy who is playing 2nd line somewhere behind a really good first line, in the last year of his deal, and the team he's on is willing to part with him because his requests to play more top line are becoming a distraction. Either that or someone in the basement has a guy in the last year of his deal and they're willing to part with him. Again, this is likely to be a prospects situation for a team that's re-building.

In short, when JR said "in the next couple of months" I'm certainly thinking that he expects us to be hanging around at the trade deadline looking for someone who is available from a team ready to go full-on youth movement.

Given the standings are currently upside down, it will be interesting to see which teams those are.

Iginla is under contract for one more season after this one. For "grins and giggle", if JR worked out a trade for him, it's only two seasons. It is $7M a year and theoretically out of JR's ballpark, but if some salary could be moved, it may be doable but it would require PK to crowbar open that checkbook.

Iginla is a legit superstar and would look good with Staal. At 34 years old and only 2 years on the contract, that wouldn't scare me off. If he had 4 years left at that money, I'd steer clear. It would make the Canes a force in the East. I just think Calgary would want way too much in return. It could be the difference in finishing in the hunt and playing golf. What is the value of that?