The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

there's no way Calgary gives up their star for TKabs, Poni and LaRose. That's a horrible deal for them.

I wasn't suggesting that as a deal, but that dumping those salaries is neutral.

So Kabs, Boychuk, First rounder, second rounder (we have an extra), Poni, for Iginla.

Then a separate salary dump deal for LaRose, or waive them if we need the money that bad, or just up our budget a touch and keep LaRose.

I don't know what it would take, my proposal might not even be enough.

All I know is you put Iginla on this team without losing Staal,Jussi, Ruutu, Skinner, Sutter, and we are a playoff team.

We'd have 4 solid All Stars, nice supporting pieces and still have room to let our yutes get some time. That usually gets you the playoffs and often a deep run, especially if one of those 4 is your goalie.

Added bonus Iginla is a productive playoff player also.

I'm not saying this will ever happen, but it is exactly the type of move we need.

Tell me that wouldn't sell some tickets.

Edited by remkin

After last night I have to say, that JR's mini-moves have been a bust and he needs to rethink the whole thing.

Poni and Stewart did not replace Cole, and this team was boarderline with Cole.

Poni? All I see is slow and lumbering.

Stewart? School still out, but not an obvious hit.

Resigning LaRose just gave Mo his favorite first line patch job player, and pushed everyone else down, and et $1.5 million in salary.

Resinging Dwyer? Look he is a really nice 4th liner and even a decent #9 on the third line, but his offensive skills are AHL, and he, LaRose, Poni, and Stewart are just blocking the young guys from getting third line time.

TKabs? Boston got it right. If we don't move him soon he might have even less value. Again, blocking the younger guys from a spot and using up $4 million in salary.

Lost: Cole, Corvo

Gained: Poni, Stewart, TKabs

Those were the moves. Staal must have wet his pants when he realized that was going to be it.

Staal is left naked on the first line from heck, and the other guys are keeping our young guys from moving up.

The only great thing was resigning Jussi, and other than last night signing Pits.

Time to clean house on the failed aquisitions, find ONE guy for the top line and otherwise play the kids.

Edited by remkin

Curious - remember last year when JR said that team would be a competitive non-playoff team? Has he said anything similar to that for this year's team?

Uh, yeah. He said "we're capable of being" a playoff team.

"Are we in transition? We're in transition to be considered a contender," Rutherford told NHL.com. "We're not in transition as a team, because we're a team that's capable of being a good enough playoff team. Every four or five years we get good runs in the playoffs, so what we're trying to do is piece players together to have another good run at the Finals again and we're getting closer."

I think this year was a hodge podge approach by JR. Between JR and Mo no clear plan materialized.

My suggestion going way back was to just bite the salary bullet and find one legit first liner to replace Cole and then fill the gaps with our prospects.

Instead we got Stewart and Poni, the typical JR value moves then resigned both LaRose and Dwyer. So we got no first liner but clogged up all the prospect spots with cast-offs and role player vets.

The only prospect deemed worthy was Dalpe who was played on the first line all preseason then promptly demoted to the 4th line.

So, what was the plan? Rebuild? Other than Skinner just what rebuild? Go for it with veterans? Poni, Stewart, Dwyer and LaRose?

If we had found one big time winger and then cleared out the rest of the spaces for prospects we would have had a fighting chance and given our young talent a shot, the best of both worlds.

Instead we got no first line talent and offered no opportunities for our prospects. The worst of both worlds.

I like JR. But every now and then you've got to mix things up. Just playing the value game over and over doesn't fit every situation. This team needs a shake up and it needs an injection of offensive talent up front.

Well, I can atleast understand why he went after Poni and Stewart. What I think was the biggest mistake in the offseason was the signing of Kaberle. Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and the year just kinda started, but that money could have been put to better use, IMO. It could have been used for more help upfront. I mean, take Poni's salary plus Kaberle's and you have around $6 mil. That's more than enough to get yourself a 1st line winger -> something this team DESERPERATELY needs.

11/5 Practice Update - Michael Smith

• Jussi Jokinen is skating today.
  • Jokinen shot around a few pucks and skated on his own. Now chatting with Maurice.
  • Jokinen off the ice now.
  • Eric Staal and Chad LaRose not on the ice today.
  • Maintenance day for Staal, LaRose. Will play tomorrow.
  • Changes on defense, if any, to be decided tomorrow.
  • Maurice was still very angry this morning. Another blunt press session after practice.
  • For those wondering, that pinch on the fourth goal was still "horse(expletive)" today.

• For those wondering, that pinch on the fourth goal was still "horse(expletive)" today.

On the post game TV the full word came out. Censors already in bed.

Very concerned that the Canes are unable to draw more then 75% capacity for not only a division rival but league top team on a Friday night...what gives; where is the support? Not to mention 25% of the crowd was pro-caps. This is embarassing to the team, franchise and community.

Very concerned that the Canes are unable to draw more then 75% capacity for not only a division rival but league top team on a Friday night...what gives; where is the support? Not to mention 25% of the crowd was pro-caps. This is embarassing to the team, franchise and community.

Hi and welcome. We get how you feel about attendance and the presence of Caps fans in the building so there's no need to spam our board with the same post in multiple threads and as a status update. If you want to contribute to the discussions we'd be happy to hear what you have to say but if you continue to spam the board, your stay here will be a short one.

Thanks for understanding.

The excitement is waning. Fans don't really have much to be excited about right now. Not only is the team playing poorly, but the system this team uses is really kind of boring. Some serious changes need to be made on the ice.

The excitement is waning. Fans don't really have much to be excited about right now. Not only is the team playing poorly, but the system this team uses is really kind of boring. Some serious changes need to be made on the ice.

Exactly. why are people going to spend their money in a team whose ownership and management have repeatedly shown that they just don't care? Karmanos has historically shown that he is comfortable spending just the minimum and more interested in keeping his circle of good ol' boys employed rather than create a winning franchise. Fans can only take so much. In a league where over half the teams make it into the playoffs non-playoff hockey should be for the most part unacceptable for more years than not. This is raleigh NORTH CAROLINA a hockey team that is not at least vaguely competitive is not going to continue to put people in seats. I didn't attend the game last night but I watched on tv and at one point I was distracted doing something and I heard cheering and I thought we scored. It was actually the capitals and apparently there were so many in the building that it was loud enough to hear them cheering after a goal.

Exactly. why are people going to spend their money in a team whose ownership and management have repeatedly shown that they just don't care? Karmanos has historically shown that he is comfortable spending just the minimum and more interested in keeping his circle of good ol' boys employed rather than create a winning franchise. Fans can only take so much. In a league where over half the teams make it into the playoffs non-playoff hockey should be for the most part unacceptable for more years than not. This is raleigh NORTH CAROLINA a hockey team that is not at least vaguely competitive is not going to continue to put people in seats. I didn't attend the game last night but I watched on tv and at one point I was distracted doing something and I heard cheering and I thought we scored. It was actually the capitals and apparently there were so many in the building that it was loud enough to hear them cheering after a goal.

I wouldn't say they don't care. I honestly feel they do care, but their hands tied. Karmanos can't spend up to what other markets can. The true problem is in the continuous rise in the salary cap. The higher it goes, the more the Canes are going to struggle to keep up. The only way Karmanos is going to feel comfortable spending that much more is if this team becomes a CONSISTENT playoff team. They just have to find the right parts, and I feel they will. We all just have to be patient, as hard as it's going to be. Remember, the offseason before we won cup JR performed a kind of change-over on the team, bringing in UFAs like Whitney, Stillman, and Tverdovsky. If we can find some kind of groove this season, I expect the same kind of moves druing the upcoming offseason.

On a blunt side note, I do, however, feel that to reach another level in this franchise we need another coach. I'm going to predict a coaching change early next month. How does everyone feel about Jeff Daniels?

I don't buy this. I'm as critical of whats going on with the team as anyone on the board. I'm sure attendance will suffer but the core will support this team. We will spend our money to see the Canes because they are our team. We will suffer through the hard times and hope for better times. I don't believe for a second we won't make some moves before it gets to out of hand.

I grew up a Ranger fan. The Rangers hadn't won a cup since before I was born. 54 years before they would raise the cup

I would also go to Flyer games when they first came in the league. I heard the same argument that hockey would never work in Philly. That"s right the pre-Broadstreet Bully fans would never beleive hockey could be viable south of the Hudson River. The first few years the Spectrum was filled with out of town fans and even Flyer fans cheered when the other team scored. A couple years in they were nicknamed the Philadelphia Tie'ers because they couldn't win. That changed quick.

We already have a cup, we already have made deep runs, we have one of the most exciting young players to come along in years and we have hockey in Raleigh.

I reserve my right to complain but I will stick with this team as long as they lace up their skates. We are lucky to have them.

I don't buy this. I'm as critical of whats going on with the team as anyone on the board. I'm sure attendance will suffer but the core will support this team. We will spend our money to see the Canes because they are our team. We will suffer through the hard times and hope for better times. I don't believe for a second we won't make some moves before it gets to out of hand.

I grew up a Ranger fan. The Rangers hadn't won a cup since before I was born. 54 years before they would raise the cup

I would also go to Flyer games when they first came in the league. I heard the same argument that hockey would never work in Philly. That"s right the pre-Broadstreet Bully fans would never beleive hockey could be viable south of the Hudson River. The first few years the Spectrum was filled with out of town fans and even Flyer fans cheered when the other team scored. A couple years in they were nicknamed the Philadelphia Tie'ers because they couldn't win. That changed quick.

We already have a cup, we already have made deep runs, we have one of the most exciting young players to come along in years and we have hockey in Raleigh.

I reserve my right to complain but I will stick with this team as long as they lace up their skates. We are lucky to have them.

Here here. Well put. I'm tearing up. I still want that first line winger though.

Go to enough Canes games, and you will see the "core". It's funny to walk past them, having never met, but it's the same folks you see every game, year in and year out. I'm not worried.

Go Canes!

Does anyone else feel like this team is reminiscent of 08-09? Most of the pieces are in place they just need something to get 'em over the hump, a coaching change.

I'm sticking with the team, I've bought a partial STH plan, so I'm doing my part.

But I'm human too and not just some FanBot. If the team is doing better, you can be sure I'll buy extra games outside of my plan games. So far this year, I haven't felt moved to do that. Last night's game was not a surprise, and if I had been there in person, I just would have been miserable.

That's the "wrong answer", I know. But dang it, I want to see some effort from this franchise to liven things up. I'm tire of the old 50% rule. I'm tired of "pony-poo" (to paraphrase Mo) on the ice.

I'll be there tomorrow. I hope the team is shows up.

I'm getting tired of this inconsistency. 500 team just like our coach who has a near 500 career record. Anyone care to put 2 and 2 together here? I blame ownership. When JR does make a move we all know it's going to be for some guy that's not working out and JR is going to bank on the fact that things could change for that person here. They either will or it will be yet another let down. God, I hope he doesn't bring back Samsonov....

Edited by bluedevil58

Does anyone else feel like this team is reminiscent of 08-09? Most of the pieces are in place they just need something to get 'em over the hump, a coaching change.

Not even close. That team had a legit 2nd and 3rd center who were capable of 50pt seasons, a legit top line, and an overall better offense. The problem was that team was just underperforming until the midway point of that season. This team just doesn't have the offense to compete night in/out like most teams ahead of them. Occasionally you'll see nights like the tampa game or the 2nd boston game, but you're most likely to see games like the st. louis, ottawa game. And until a day comes where this team makes appropriate roster/personnel moves, you're always going to get inconsistency.

Not even close. That team had a legit 2nd and 3rd center who were capable of 50pt seasons, a legit top line, and an overall better offense. The problem was that team was just underperforming until the midway point of that season. This team just doesn't have the offense to compete night in/out like most teams ahead of them. Occasionally you'll see nights like the tampa game or the 2nd boston game, but you're most likely to see games like the st. louis, ottawa game. And until a day comes where this team makes appropriate roster/personnel moves, you're always going to get inconsistency.

I wasn't talking about skill, I was talking about inconsistency leading up to Laviolette's firing.

I wasn't talking about skill, I was talking about inconsistency leading up to Laviolette's firing.

I'll agree with that. Right now the Canes look like the worst team in the league. I think we have the talent that would suggest otherwise, but there is no spark, no emotion, no leadership, no unity. Staal, our Captain - the man who should be leading the team, has the worst plus-minus in the league and only 3 goals, all with the man advantage. Sounds an awful lot like poor Brindy after all those knee injuries from that season. At this point, a lot of Caniacs here on this board were calling for his head on a pike.

Right now the team looks like they did at that point of that season you are referring to. I see two things coming down the road: 1) new coach and 2) that trade being moved ahead of schedule. Maurice openly demanded more effort from the team and we got no change. He has no impact on their play. The trade could be made as more of a shake up and less of a season-saving steal that JR is used to making. Which scares me because that means it may not be as good as one we wait for. But, change is coming because this cannot continue...

I'll agree with that. Right now the Canes look like the worst team in the league. I think we have the talent that would suggest otherwise, but there is no spark, no emotion, no leadership, no unity. Staal, our Captain - the man who should be leading the team, has the worst plus-minus in the league and only 3 goals, all with the man advantage. Sounds an awful lot like poor Brindy after all those knee injuries from that season. At this point, a lot of Caniacs here on this board were calling for his head on a pike.

Right now the team looks like they did at that point of that season you are referring to. I see two things coming down the road: 1) new coach and 2) that trade being moved ahead of schedule. Maurice openly demanded more effort from the team and we got no change. He has no impact on their play. The trade could be made as more of a shake up and less of a season-saving steal that JR is used to making. Which scares me because that means it may not be as good as one we wait for. But, change is coming because this cannot continue...

God, I hope so. Even if we don't find a trade somewhere and just move around personnel. A new coach should make the team realize they need to start playing every night and not every few games. And a trade would do the same. Staal desperately needs help. With Jokinen out, Cole gone, Staal and Skinner need people to mesh with. It looked like Jokinen and Skinner were clicking (and he looks good with Ruutu at times as well), so Staal really needs to find a new guy since Cole's departure to have that chemistry with, because so far he hasn't found anything with anyone.