The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I am starting to favor moving Mo, but I also think that this team needs to make a trade.

We have too many guys who scrap and scrum and not enough guys who make plays.

Poni has 3 points in 14 games. Stewart has not shown high end skill. Dwyer is a 4th liner.

A new coach isn't going to make first liners out of third liners.

Frankly I'm starting to think a massive change is in order.

Big trade AND coaching change, all at once BAM!

As bad as it is, we are not trading Staal, so get him a winger and a new coach and see what happens.

11/7 From Chip Alexander:

Ice_chip Chip Alexander Jim Rutherford says Canes will look to "strengthen team" in short term. No other details for now but coaching staff shakeup not in works.

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford: "The easiest thing to do when you lose a couple of games as bad as we lost them is to point at the coach or coaches."

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford said everyone needs to "get back to work" and back to playing style of game that led to quality wins.

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford did say that if losing continues, "I'll probably be in a different frame of mind (and) I'll look at the situation differently."

Please tell me that strengthen in the short term doesn't just mean that Jussi will play. mellow.gif

I'll take his last comment to mean "we'll see after the NJ game"

11/7 From Chip Alexander:

Ice_chip Chip Alexander Jim Rutherford says Canes will look to "strengthen team" in short term. No other details for now but coaching staff shakeup not in works.

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford: "The easiest thing to do when you lose a couple of games as bad as we lost them is to point at the coach or coaches."

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford said everyone needs to "get back to work" and back to playing style of game that led to quality wins.

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford did say that if losing continues, "I'll probably be in a different frame of mind (and) I'll look at the situation differently."

Please tell me that strengthen in the short term doesn't just mean that Jussi will play. mellow.gif

I'll take his last comment to mean "we'll see after the NJ game"

All I hear is "Blah, blah, blah".

Not shooting the messenger there, TSA.

All I hear is "Blah, blah, blah".

Not shooting the messenger there, TSA.

Its ok, I have my team issued bullet proof vest on ;)

At least he's talking and saying something. He knows the fans are getting restless and the attendance is dropping. If they lay another egg in NJ, someone's hand will be forced to do something. I have a feeling JR has been trying to make trades but either no one is biting or the asking prices are ridiculous.

The team has fallen apart since Jussi's injury so it makes some sense to see if his returning fixes anything and if it does, its kind of sad that the loss of one player could have such a negative effect. We went through the same thing with Matt Cullen a few years back and figured out the player who could replace him was Matt Cullen. This is not a good thing.

Full article from JR via CanesNow

Rutherford: Changes need to be made

"They've done a good job," Rutherford said. "The easiset thing when you've lost a couple of games as bad as we lost them is to start pointing at the coach or the coaches. It takes everybody when it comes time to win and it takes everybody when it comes time to lose. We need to get back to work and get back to playing to our team playing the style of game it did when we were winning games.

Hmmm, what happens when the other team has a better plan to shut your plan down, or has better and more skilled players to execute their plan? The style of game this team played when it was winning needs to be constantly adapting to style of game the opposing team is playing when its not working. I don't see that happening....ever.

Look, a couple of bad losses and we're all like "throw the coach out/make a trade" and then this team will gel and get a couple of quality wins together and we simmer down. Because, in case you haven't noticed, THAT IS THE TREND.

And really, it's been the trend on this team for a couple of seasons.

We can all look up Mo's record and see that he's a .500 coach (if you use NHL's wacky system of throwing out OT losses). We all see Staal on the ice with a couple of 3rd liners (I'm sure we also see Staal being the 1st guy of his line to skate off the ice like he doesn't care).

It's not that JR doesn't know what the problems are. It's just that this current team has shown sparks of being "that" team. So again the obvious question: how long do you wait to see if this team comes together? I would think we'll see November play out. The Canes have a majority of their games on home ice (although that didn't help against WAS and DAL). But more importantly it gets us a 1/4 of the way into the season and I suspect will open doors around the league as other teams checkpoint as well.

Bottom line, from my standpoint: we aren't a 1st liner or a new coach away from the playoffs. We might get a little spark from such changes, but this team has a talent gap with the elite. The Eastern Conference is going to be a bar fight this year for the top 8 spots, and I just don't feel as though we have a team capable of playing consistent enough hockey to get there. For instance, when was the last time this team had a real winning streak (5+ games)? I can't even remember...

It's not that JR doesn't know what the problems are. It's just that this current team has shown sparks of being "that" team. So again the obvious question: how long do you wait to see if this team comes together? I would think we'll see November play out. The Canes have a majority of their games on home ice (although that didn't help against WAS and DAL). But more importantly it gets us a 1/4 of the way into the season and I suspect will open doors around the league as other teams checkpoint as well.

Bottom line, from my standpoint: we aren't a 1st liner or a new coach away from the playoffs. We might get a little spark from such changes, but this team has a talent gap with the elite. The Eastern Conference is going to be a bar fight this year for the top 8 spots, and I just don't feel as though we have a team capable of playing consistent enough hockey to get there. For instance, when was the last time this team had a real winning streak (5+ games)? I can't even remember...

I agree and I also don't think that just replacing the coach like so many are calling for will be the answer either. I'm all for a change but its going to take a few more moves than just firing the coach. The new coach will inherit the same roster with the same shortcomings and the same skill level. He might be able to spark a short term jump in play and win a few games but sooner than later consistency problems will once again surface if roster deficits aren't addressed.

I'd be more willing to adopt your "wait and see" attitude if this was just a bump in the road. This is the third year in a row that we have seen this. Apathy is at an all time high (in my opinion or at least my apathy is). The fans have been asked to accept it and it seems that the organization finds it acceptable or they would do something.

St. Louis made a coaching change sitting almost exactly where we are. I think a coaching change is needed and I think JR needs to own up that he didn't construct this team correctly and make a move or two to fix it. As fans, we deserve to see a decent product on the ice or they need to just say they are content with the status quo before the STH invoices come out for next season. The Stanley Cup honeymoon is over.

Edited by super_dave_1

I'd be more willing to adopt your "wait and see" attitude if this was just a bump in the road. This is the third year in a row that we have seen this. Apathy is at an all time high (in my opinion or at least my apathy is). The fans have been asked to accept it and it seems that the organization finds it acceptable or they would do something.

St. Louis made a coaching change sitting almost exactly where we are. I think a coaching change is needed and I think JR needs to own up that he didn't construct this team correctly and make a move or two to fix it. As fans, we deserve to see a decent product on the ice or they need to just say they are content with the status quo before the STH invoices come out for next season. The Stanley Cup honeymoon is over.

Well, I certainly don't disagree. But Hitchcock inherits the same team that Payne was failing with in St. Louis. So a mediocre team gets a new coach -- well, really, an old coach. Hitchcock will have his work cut out for him there.

The problem with not waiting is that there just aren't a lot of teams cutting deals right now. I suppose it would be interesting to see whether the Blues are "cleaning house" and making anyone available, but I suspect that it wouldn't be respectable talent. When a coaching change is made this early in the season, ownership is obviously expecting the new coach to work some miracles and make something happen on the ice with the product that's been put there.

If JR were to make a change right now, I would actually lean toward Jeff Daniels. Jeff obviously has seen our prospects up close and personal for a couple of years now. Even with the talent we have on the roster, I think going to Daniels would see a change in the lineups. I think Boychuk and Dalpe (when healthy) would be given a more prominent role on scoring lines.

For me, Mo's major drawbacks are his reluctance to put some of our prospects onto key scoring lines ahead of some of his favorites and his inability to make game adjustments depending on the opponent. Dump and chase doesn't work against everyone.

Here I go again deadhorse.gif.

We ARE one key piece away from the playoffs plus minus a coaching change. I didn't say we would become a top 5 elite team, just need to be in the top HALF for crying out loud.

Now what i have to admit is that piece is probably a very hard one to find: a top 60-70 playmaker. There are only a few around and teams are slow to let them go.

BUT give Staal a true skilled line-mate and there is huge potential that it could start to come together.

It could:

Unlock Staal and if he starts playing like his old self that alone would be huge.

DIrectly add about 35 points to our scoring totals.

Directly improve our PP.

Give us the firepower to get back in games we are losing.

Allow for more playmaking and much more interesting hockey from the top two lines.

Makes it clear to the players (and paying fans) that ownership wants to win.

Push everyone down a notch.

That last one is why one guy makes so much difference. Let's Skinner stay on the second line. Leaves us with enough talent to have one of the better third and fourth lines in the game and a shot at one of the best second lines.

I know it doesn't solve all the shots we allow. But that is probably a tougher nut to crack via trade. Does make it clear that we better not trade Gleason or Allen.

As I and others have mentioned, the "Poni/Stewart cast offs to replace Cole" plan is not working. Admit it and move forward.

As to panicking after a couple of losses to top teams, I'll agree, but this was a wake up game and the team came out asleep. Like having the big job interview and oversleeping. The timing was troubling. I agree that we should see what happens in Jersey and even the back to back this weekend, but to me that is more about whether Mo goes. The trade is still needed.

I (and others) have been pointing out the need for a trade from the beginning. It is only becoming clearer each day that Staal sinks further and further down the plus minus abyss. The moment LaRose and Tlusty appeared on our first line, JR should have started beating the bushes for a trade. There are levels that even we rabid fans just cannot swallow.

We are at that level currently.

Edited by remkin

We ARE one key piece away from the playoffs plus minus a coaching change. I didn't say we would become a top 5 elite team, just need to be in the top HALF for crying out loud.

Might be happening sooner rather than later...

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that changes needed to be made to "strengthen our team" but said a coaching staff shakeup was not one of them.

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-changes-need-to-be-made#ixzz1d2EtUDe5

Chip also tweeting that his gut feeling is that today will be an "eventful" one.

[rambling]

I'll start first by saying I wasn't able to catch yesterday's game, so I'm sorry if some of my future comments are wrong.

Yes, we had a couple of bad losses. And I'm not making excuses, but they were to the Caps and Stars, arguably two of the best teams in the entire league right now. But I also know that we would have liked to have seen a full game effort instead of 5-1 and 5-2 blowouts. In the Caps game, it seemed we lost our edge after the blown call in the 2nd period and got outplayed after that.

I'm not sure if we can blame the loss of production solely on the absence of Jussi. But from what I'm understanding from everyone's posts, it's that we don't have a lot of depth in our top 6. (Again, I'm still learning.) Thank God that his injury isn't as bad as first thought, but I also don't think him coming back to the lineup will solve everything.

And to be honest, I don't really have an answer. I mentioned in an earlier post of mine that we have 10 of 15 at home this month, but we would be facing a lot of tough teams in that stetch. Someone else mentioned that this month will show us what type of team we have and I fully believe that. However, dealing with a core player's injury and constant line shuffling is definitely going to compound our view on things.

So I guess the short version of the above is that while I would have liked better results out of our last two games, I'm not totally surprised at the outcomes. But with that being said, I'd rather we fix our issues soon, and the main one I've seen is putting out a 60-minute effort. I don't mind losing to superior teams, as long as the games are close and we can get the occasional point out of them. But the perceived lack of effort makes it difficult to watch at times. I'm not overly worried, but I'm definitely cautious as to how the rest of the month is going to play out.

[/rambling]

A closed door meeting is a start. The last two losses, especially the loss against Dallas were different then earlier losses. There was clearly something going on within the team. One of the most uninspired performances i have ever watched. The Nj game will be huge (IMO) for this team and the direction the season will take.

(Regardless of the Nj game I would expect a move of some kind to be made in the next few days if one hasn't already been made today.)

Closed door team meeting right now.

That is overdue. I would be interested to see who called for it. Hopefully leadership is emerging.

After being at the two games this past weekend the effort is there most of the time but the passion is not as evident. I noticed that Joslin played with a chip on his shoulder yesterday and hopefully the others will take notice and add it to their game.

I would welcome to see some more controlled aggression/chippiness on the ice. After seeing the smaller forwards being knocked around by some of the larger teams in the league the team needs to gel and stand together better. Other teams need to be aware there will not be free passes handed out to the scrumming after the whistle is blown.

11/7 Practice lines:

Skinner - Staal - LaRose

Boychuk - Ruutu - Ponikarovsky

Sutter - Tlusty - Dwyer

Stewart - Brent - Bowman

*Jokinen not skating today

*Second 10 min team meeting when they thought the ice was a no go

I would welcome to see some more controlled aggression/chippiness on the ice. After seeing the smaller forwards being knocked around by some of the larger teams in the league the team needs to gel and stand together better. Other teams need to be aware there will not be free passes handed out to the scrumming after the whistle is blown.

*sigh*

While I agree with most of what you said, I believe this team needs a spark plug as well. Not a Chad LaRose spark plug but a Ruutu of old spark plug that is not only a hitting machine but also willing to drop the mitts. At the games I've been to there just isn't any electricity in the building. Big hits and a fight can get that building going and the players definitely feed off of it.

11/7 Practice lines:

Skinner - Staal - LaRose

Boychuk - Ruutu - Ponikarovsky

Sutter - Tlusty - Dwyer

Stewart - Brent - Bowman

*Jokinen not skating today

*Second 10 min team meeting when they thought the ice was a no go

*sigh*

Really happy to see Boychuk get a shot. That may be the one good thing to come out of Jussi's injury. If Boychuk can emerge.

Other than that look over that top 9. Not much firepower at face value. But add a struggling Staal and Ruutu and where does the offense come from? Skinner and .......no that's it, Skinner.

Really happy to see Boychuk get a shot. That may be the one good thing to come out of Jussi's injury. If Boychuk can emerge.

Other than that look over that top 9. Not much firepower at face value. But add a struggling Staal and Ruutu and where does the offense come from? Skinner and .......no that's it, Skinner.

Don't forget LaRose. For all the hate thrown at poor Chad, he's got 4g 5a = 9 pts so far. I agree that that would be FABULOUS production from the 3rd line. :-)

Anyone want to make predictions on when this supposed "trade" happens? I'm going to say we'll see a Checker called up tomorrow with a trade announced right before the game to send a message. After the game tomorrow night there are 2 full practice days before the game against the Rangers for the new player to get acclimated. It's the last time that happens for a while. This is about the time JR likes to make trades anyway. Ian White came over about 17 games into the season.

I have a bad feeling that the changes are going to be small and insignificant. Just going through the motions to temporarily try to appease the fans. I'm prepared to be let down. Rutherford manages to not blame Maurice and yet doesn't take any of the blame himself for the makeup. Why would a true quality UFA ever want to play for the hurricanes? The coaches and management are never responsible for coming up short. You can tell that Forsland is tired of the nonsense but can't say antying I would really love to hear what he really thinks. This fan base is about to have a massive erosion do to a continuation of this sub par action. Perception is reality when it comes to marketing and economics. As much as I think bringing in a new coach to light a fire under them the team still needs more. I don't trust Rutherford or Karmanos doing the right thing. Which would be firing Maurice. Or movin ghim to a new job. If that's where it has to start. Personally I'm done spending any money on this team until at least Maurice is gone. If you count the preseason we have won 6 games out of 20.

If maurice still isn't gone by tomorrow which it doesn't sound like he will be, i hope we get killed against the devils. yes it would suck, but if it gets maurice fired that's what we need. 1 step back for a multitude of steps forward. Whatever it takes to get maurice fired is an improvement.

I'm actually going to be really frustrated if we get lucky and have one of the rare good games tomorrow. Because I know management will market it as everything being perfect in the hurricanes universe and probably sign Maurice to another extension.

Might be happening sooner rather than later...

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that changes needed to be made to "strengthen our team" but said a coaching staff shakeup was not one of them.

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-changes-need-to-be-made#ixzz1d2EtUDe5

Chip also tweeting that his gut feeling is that today will be an "eventful" one.

If Chip Alexander is correct in his blog, and I have no reason to believe he is not, Karmanos and Rutherford show incredible arrogance, lack of understanding of what the "real world" situation is and offer a slap in the face to the fan base of this team. After 14 years of supporting this team and literally spending nearly $100K in season tickets over those years, I AM DONE!!!

I hate Skinner on Staal's line. He faces the other team's best opposition ----with ?Larose---for protection ????

Give me a break !!!! Wait til we get the NYR's !

I have never skated-I'm not athletic at all-I am not a coach of any kind but ... Skinner on Staals line has to be the worst combination to ever come out of the MO Blender. Honestly can someone explain the thought process of this :facepalm: