The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think things have already started to become very interesting. Am I the only reading a very different tone and message in many of Maurice's comments to the media lately? I might be imagining it but he's taken some subtle swipes about the make up of the roster he has to work with, and has done this on more than one occasion. I'm sure some would say they're just more excuses by Mo to deflect responsibility but to me the words are different than his usual post game coach speak and seem to be directed toward JR.

Maurice isn't stupid and knows pretty soon someone will have to take the fall for all the losses and I'm sure he's well aware that person is likely him, but he's made it pretty clear in the past couple of interviews that pieces needed to compete with the playoff teams are missing and he's doing everything he can with what he has to work with. He's also mentioned more than once that the team isn't going to out skill any other team and will have find wins by grinding them out.

Who knows if I'm reading this right, but it sounds to me like there are some messages being sent via the media. Could there be a rift growing in management? If they're getting close to firing him, wouldn't we start to see a cracks in the united front or some subtle finger pointing?

I have also noticed the different tone in the Mo speak but I haven't picked up on the subtle swipes about the team makeup. You might be right. I do think, like you he is not stupid and knows in spite of assurances by management of support for the coaching staff he could soon be the fall guy.

I think when JR was giving his support of Maurice and said something like, if we lose another five games or so I might feel differently. I think that was putting MO on notice.

until these players or others , can outcycle along boards.. equals penalties , to pp goals.. to losssses.. outcycled since 2009..pretty easy to see in , day in, day out...

I wonder what would happen around here if Mo put Staal on the third line?

Do you guys think MAYBE we are getting a little carried away with our thoughts on Staal? I still fully believe Staal is a world class player who WILL bring in a lot of points. Just be patient, guys..

Edited by jeromeo87

Do you guys think MAYBE we are getting a little carried away with our thoughts on Staal? I still fully believe Staal is a world class player who WILL bring in a lot of points. Just be patient, guys..

People keep saying that, and we're all still waiting. We're almost 1/4 through the season and where is he? He's hardly done anything. He has less points than half the team, and less points than 2 defensemen. Not to mention his horrid -. Boychuck is playing better than him and yet if he makes the slightest mistake he is sent back down to the bottom lines and has his TOI cut down to like <5 while Eric Staal is still playing lazy and eating up 20 minutes a night.

Players struggle from time to time. Hockey fans are some of the most moodiest fans there are.

If he goes another 3 or 5 games without a point, are you going to demand that JR trade Staal?

Not a lot of options left that haven't already been tried.

I had a few drinks with Mo today and I got it out of him... the drastic change in the lineup he referred to - Cam Ward centering the first line - Staal in goal. Of course, it's possible that I was so drunk that I just imagined Mo was there... I guess we'll find out Friday.

It's like 03 all over again, bag skates have begun :\

The same thought crossed my mind. I guess we will find out if history repeats itself.

But yesterday wasn't a bag skate from what I'm reading with most the team on a field trip.

Just because the paper work says someone is on the 1st line doesn't mean they are the best line. Oh heaven forbid they hurt someones "EGO"! All I know is if I was writing those huge checks I wouldn't give a Crap about hurting their feelings. Thats why I think that a lot of these contracts should have incentives if you want a lot more money.. YOU PLAY BIGTIME----YOU GET PAID BIGTIME!!

Sorry guys. I have gone to games with my dad since Greensboro. I've been to almost every playoff series and at least 20 games/season. I have always been a die hard Canes fan. But to be honest I am no longer going to pay for tickets until I see a quality product put on the ice. There is no heart what so ever in this team and we're downright terrible.

I'm done going to games.

Edited by bluedevil58

I had a few drinks with Mo today and I got it out of him... the drastic change in the lineup he referred to - Cam Ward centering the first line - Staal in goal. Of course, it's possible that I was so drunk that I just imagined Mo was there... I guess we'll find out Friday.

:coollaugh::lol::winner:

-------------------------------------

I think Staal will come around. Then again, if there are any baseball fans in here, I said the same thing of Adam Dunn for my White Sox this past year and look where he ended up. The real questions are when will he turn it around, and how long will we wait until we "demote" him if his struggles continue?

Edited by RNT82

If Jokinen can play it read like Mo will put the lines back to where they were before he got injured.

The drastic shakeup could happen if Jokinen can't go or perhaps a little later down the road.

I think the Raleigh hockey world is about to get very interesting.

Is it wrong that, as much as I want Jokinen to heal quickly and be back in the line-up, that I am hoping he's out one more game - just to see what this "drastic" change up is that Maurice has come up with?

Am I the only reading a very different tone and message in many of Maurice's comments to the media lately? I might be imagining it but he's taken some subtle swipes about the make up of the roster he has to work with, and has done this on more than one occasion.

I also have noticed a different tone to Maurice's comments to the media. Perhaps he is taking a swipe at the make up of the team he has. But considering his comments since (at least) his return, have been about the importance of hard work, pretty much downplaying, even marginalizing, skill, I am not sure that it is aimed at JR. From his comments, I would have thought that a completely skill-less team that is willing to work hard every shift would be his dream team, so it is hard for me to see him complaining he doesn't have enough skill to work with.

As I remember, one of his first comments when he returned, when trying to figure out what was going wrong, was something to the effect that perhaps the players thought they were too good to have to work hard. Perhaps he is calling this team out for the same reason, though I admit that with this team that doesn't make as much sense.

Calling a team "soft" would almost have to be a shot at the players themselves, not the man putting the players together. Or at least he has to know that it will be the players that will take it personally. I actually took the tone as more frustration at the players that, with his job on the line, have not responded the way he would have liked.

The Canes' record is the same as last year this time and better than 2009. Mo didn't go then. For whatever reason, I just don't see him being fired this year.

There are a couple of differences. First, it is the last year of his contract. Second, the franchise can only handle so many missed play-offs in a row. I think they are there now.

ice_chipChip Alexander - Will be very surprised if not reshuffled lines today at Canes practice. And a surprise or two.

A surprise or two? Does he mean surprises within the reshuffled lines, or elsewhere?

Not that it matters, especially with Jussi out, but why not give the kids a chance with Staal.

Boychuk, Staal, Dalpe

Other than Sutter CENTERING the Staal line, it is hard to see how more deck chair reshuffling will matter much.

Not that it matters, especially with Jussi out, but why not give the kids a chance with Staal.

Boychuk, Staal, Dalpe

Other than Sutter CENTERING the Staal line, it is hard to see how more deck chair reshuffling will matter much.

Okay Rem, you almost have your wish. Lines at practice as reported by Chip

Boychuk-Staal-Poni

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu.

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Dalpe-Brent-?

Dwyer not on the ice in practice.

Yep, those are the lines. Larose with Tlusty and Sutter. Dwyer not on the ice..

If we're talking DRASTIC, I'd like to see the following (provided Juice is back):

Staal - Sutter - LaRose ... here's my thinking. 1, Sutter is showing offensive touch; 2, LaRose is showing offensive touch (believe it or not); 3, Sutter and LaRose have chemistry from playing together 3rd line last year and LaRose and Staal have chemistry of being best buds forever or whatever. So, take two guys who have been scoring, who have chemistry, put them on the same line with struggling superstar. Explain to Staal that a "change of scenery" to the wing is intended to give him a little different perspective and see if this can shake him out of his funk.

Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu ... our best line. If Jokinen can't go, move Boychuk to the wing here and Ruutu to center.

Dalpe - Brent - Boychuk ... if Jokinen is out, move Poni or Stewart up for Boychuk headed to 2nd

Poni/Tlusty - Dwyer - Stewart ... Dwyer was pressed into service last year as a center on the 4th line. It's not ideal, but let's go for it.

I'd call this drastic. This would be the "I'm blowing up all lines except the Skin and Finns line. I'm trying to shake Staal out of his funk. I'm putting some young guys in a top 9 scoring role. I'm putting some guys who haven't shown much down at the bottom."

I think the only thing here is that Tlusty could float to the 2nd line or go as low as 4th line.

The other thing I like about sticking Staal on the wing with Sutter at center is that that line gets automatically better at D because Sutter is a responsible two-way player (which is something we used to say of Staal).

Boychuk-Staal-Poni

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu.

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Dalpe-Brent-?

I'm not saying Boychuk is all that, but he has looked good, not great but shown signs, and might as well find out what we've got there. Seriously as good as any non Juss/Skinner option right now, and we need that second line as is.

The bottom 3 lines look good. Now just slide your favorite vet first line winger from another team into the Poni slot....

Edited by remkin

I'm not saying Boychuk is all that, but he has looked good, not great but shown signs, and might as well find out what we've got there. Seriously as good as any non Juss/Skinner option right now, and we need that second line as is.

The bottom 3 lines look good. Now just slide your favorite vet first line winger from another team into the Poni slot....

I'd be willing to eat major crow if Boychuk could find his NHL game. I agree, the kid has busted his butt so far and seems to be finding that it's easier to get serious ice time when your engaged in the play rather than one who is floating around on the perimeter.

Of course, if he scores a goal, he will be immediately put back on the fourth line as soon as he has one bad shift.

Boychuk-Staal-Poni

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu.

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Dalpe-Brent-?

Lines look good...Boychuck has certainly earned a spot on the top line...hopefully it will inspire Dalpe and we will get to see that Dalpe Staal Boychuck line sooner rather than later. If this happens, the team will certainly make some moves.

Poni is on a 1 yesr deal and is expendable, Stewart has a 2 year deal and Ruutu is a UFA at the end of the year...Ruutu has been finding his game and the Finns and Skins line is showing good chemistry again so I doubt we look to move him; Stewart is young and will be good on the 3rd or 4th line for years to come and he has the potential to get into the top 6. LaRose/Dwyer are interchangable parts but LaRose is the fan and organization favorite. I'd say Kabs, Dwyer and Poni are on the block.

Poni on the 1st line. That is drastic. Like drastically bad.

I like my idea of drastic better. I wonder if JR will give me a call later and give me $1m per year to make a run at it.

Lines look good...Boychuck has certainly earned a spot on the top line...hopefully it will inspire Dalpe and we will get to see that Dalpe Staal Boychuck line sooner rather than later. If this happens, the team will certainly make some moves.

Poni is on a 1 year deal and is expendable, Stewart has a 2 year deal and Ruutu is a UFA at the end of the year...Ruutu has been finding his game and the Finns and Skins line is showing good chemistry again so I doubt we look to move him; Stewart is young and will be good on the 3rd or 4th line for years to come and he has the potential to get into the top 6. LaRose/Dwyer are interchangable parts but LaRose is the fan and organization favorite. I'd say Kabs, Dwyer and Poni are on the block.

I'd love it if TKabs was on the block. Any other year we'd have to keep him, but with Joslin and Faulk riding the pine, he's dead weight. (And about as bad as Aaron Ward was the year we brought him back ... from Boston. Anyone note a trend?)

As for Poni, no idea who would want him. He hasn't performed since leaving Toronto. He's destined for waivers unless he picks up his game.

As for Dwyer, same thing. I like his grittiness, but the NHL is chock full of 4th line gritty guys. In 2 or 3 years we wouldn't even remember he was here. Sad, I know, but unless he develops the same kind of touch that has kept LaRose here (10+ goals per season) I just don't see him sticking around forever.

Edited by witchking-ch1

I don't think Sutter gets moved anywhere unless we reach Defcon 4 or something. Personally, and trying to be somewhat realistic, I'd rather give Stewart a try in Poni's spot. He's faster, and I think he's been better at the net.

Players struggle from time to time. Hockey fans are some of the most moodiest fans there are.

If he goes another 3 or 5 games without a point, are you going to demand that JR trade Staal?

Like he hasn't already, even before the regular season started. Oh yea, and Cam too, who is beyond his prime. That and a bag of ice should get us a decent winger for Dalpe on the first line. :rolleyes:

Boychuk-Staal-Poni

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu.

Tlusty-Sutter-LaRose

Dalpe-Brent-?

I may have missed something during the last game, but what's up with Stewart not being in the lines? Is Dwyer injured?

As far as putting Dwyer on the trading block, I don't see the point. I LOVE his game, I love seeing him on the ice because of his style of play. I just like those types of players in general, but he's a cool guy also. Getting back on track here, since there are a lot of similar kind of players out there his stock can't be high. I don't see us getting anything for Poni either. Even putting the two together... it doesn't seem like an attractive offer for what we need. It has to be a Kaberle trade.