The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Poni, Tkabs. and Dwyer are on the block you say? My question to all of you is: Do you really think we could get anything of value for these players? I don't think so.

Our only valuable players are:

Staal, Skinner, Jokinen, Gleason, Allen, Pitkanen, Ward, and Sutter.

The rest of the people on the team are a dime a dozen. I have thought about a big shake up and the only way I see us bringing in that great top line forward is to trade one of the above players. Sutter, Jokinen, and Skinner would obviously fetch the highest return. I leave Staal out because he is captain. Let's face it. We're stuck with who we have. There will be no "big time move" unless some sort of miracle happens and some needs a first round draft pick and even then it would only probably get us a 20 goal scorer.

On an unrelated note, the 'Canes have popped up in rumor discussions once again. Per Eklund (yes I know, take with a dump truck of salt), we're talking with Montreal and San Jose separately trying to put together a "major" deal.

Not that I really believe this is what's going on, but I like to think of the possibilities. Cole would be the obvious move from Montreal, though with that contract, I wouldn't want him just yet. As for San Jose, they've got a ton of scoring talent, so there may be a few options there.

On an unrelated note, the 'Canes have popped up in rumor discussions once again. Per Eklund (yes I know, take with a dump truck of salt), we're talking with Montreal and San Jose separately trying to put together a "major" deal.

Not that I really believe this is what's going on, but I like to think of the possibilities. Cole would be the obvious move from Montreal, though with that contract, I wouldn't want him just yet. As for San Jose, they've got a ton of scoring talent, so there may be a few options there.

Please don't bring Cole back. Can we have someone new for a change? All this recycling drives me batty.

Too bad, we didnt have players like Justin Williams:) no way sutter, skinner, or josi goes, thats just saying the heck with the season.. and people would be jumping off bridges..

A couple seasons ago we hit a 14 game winless streak. I remember dreading the games every night - knowing how embarrassing our team was going to be. I feel the same way now. It's not a "back away from the ledge" moment for me, it's plain and simple no-thrills hockey. There is no excitement, no energy, no power, just suck. I am dreading the Pens game tomorrow.

All right boys and girls tighten you seat belts, I'm about to tap dance on the land mine. Cam Ward has been our most inconsistent player since our Stanley Cup. That 14 game streak is really 18 if you count the 4 game sweep by the Pens in the playoffs the year before. Up and down play with an inability to sustain a decent win streak from a goalie, whom the media deems "All Star" and Vezina candidate is not acceptible for the money we pay him. After 3 consecutive 5 goal losses, maybe it's time for Boucher to start more than every now and then. Remember Cam, you're only as good as your last game.

Cam? You're blaming Cam? Ok...

Anyway..

From Twitter

ice_chip Chip Alexander - Thinking here is that Canes will deal a defenseman for a forward. Maybe pretty soon. We'll see.

All right boys and girls tighten you seat belts, I'm about to tap dance on the land mine. Cam Ward has been our most inconsistent player since our Stanley Cup. That 14 game streak is really 18 if you count the 4 game sweep by the Pens in the playoffs the year before. Up and down play with an inability to sustain a decent win streak from a goalie, whom the media deems "All Star" and Vezina candidate is not acceptible for the money we pay him. After 3 consecutive 5 goal losses, maybe it's time for Boucher to start more than every now and then. Remember Cam, you're only as good as your last game.

First off, that 14 game losing streak season (09-10) we lost the first two games, won the next two, then the 14 game losing streak. So the sweep wouldn't be connected to it.

Secondly, when the entire team is playing like absolute s**t with no drive or grit and it looks like we aren't even trying, you're pointing your finger at the goalie? Where is the logic in that? I'm amazed you're ignoring Staal's lack of production so far over Cam's efforts this season. But most importantly it's not one guys fault. The whole team is nothing but suck. This is an organizational fail here, not just Cam or Staal or Maurice or Rutherford.

From Twitter

ice_chip Chip Alexander - Thinking here is that Canes will deal a defenseman for a forward. Maybe pretty soon. We'll see.

i think it's pretty clear that the defenseman mentioned is Kabs.

Interesting..

From Twitter

AportzlineAaron Portzline - RT @ice_chip: Hey, Chip. Follow me. Might have something for you.

(Aaron Portzline covers the Blue Jackets..)

The only two people that I see are worth trading for on the Blue Jackets' roster to me would be Vinny Prospal or Rick Nash. I highly doubt (although I would absolutely love) that Nash is being traded. Prospal is too old IMO, but has 5g, 8a for 13 points on the season with a horrible team (no offense, Columbus).

I can also see us dealing for either Umberger or Vermette, but both are having horrible years and I can't see them helping us get out of our rut, jumping from one horrible performing team to another. But scenery changes have helped players in the past. Who knows?

Either we're getting Nash, or we're looking for a second line center.

Cam? You're blaming Cam? Ok...

Anyway..

Seriously. Canes are 27th in the league in shots against per game. And a lot of those shots have been quality shots. Combine that with an anemic offense, and your goalie, no matter which one, has no prayer of a chance.

i think it's pretty clear that the defenseman mentioned is Kabs.

I would be pretty surprised if it sin't Kabs. $4.5 mil for doing absolutely nothing? No thanks. That money could bring in a solid forward.

First off, that 14 game losing streak season (09-10) we lost the first two games, won the next two, then the 14 game losing streak. So the sweep wouldn't be connected to it.

Secondly, when the entire team is playing like absolute s**t with no drive or grit and it looks like we aren't even trying, you're pointing your finger at the goalie? Where is the logic in that? I'm amazed you're ignoring Staal's lack of production so far over Cam's efforts this season. But most importantly it's not one guys fault. The whole team is nothing but suck. This is an organizational fail here, not just Cam or Staal or Maurice or Rutherford.

I guess this make you feel better. Let's celebrate those 2 wins and forget about the other 20. At what point this season do we make changes, or do you keep beating the same horse looking for 2 wins to feel good about.

I guess this make you feel better. Let's celebrate those 2 wins and forget about the other 20. At what point this season do we make changes, or do you keep beating the same horse looking for 2 wins to feel good about.

Guy, no one likes not winning - but blaming Cam is just wrong. If anything, he has consistantly been our best player. It's easy to see a goal against and think, "Ugh.. stupid goalie!" But there are so many more parts of the game you have to look at.

Guy, no one likes not winning - but blaming Cam is just wrong. If anything, he has consistantly been our best player. It's easy to see a goal against and think, "Ugh.. stupid goalie!" But there are so many more parts of the game you have to look at.

+1

And about him losing the Penguins ECF series - he had an injured back. Anytime a goalie has an injury, there is no getting around it - his game is going to be off. And what was the alternative, playing Michael Leighton against Crosby and Malkin? Not sure it would have been any different outcome.

No one is playing well. That includes Cam. His numbers are down from last year. I get that the D is leaving him out there, but he's not Mr. All Star either right now.

I'm not advocating trading him or benching him. I'm not advocating trading Staal. But the whole team is to blame for the current rut and for the horrible start to the season, from the GM who put this roster to together, to the coach who's unable to motivate that roster into a competitive hockey team, to the players themselves (including the goalie) who are not competing.

We're 16 games in. Time to stop with the "we didn't play 60 minutes" excuses. This team, as put together, is not a team. It's a collection of individuals skating on the ice at the same time.

They are not the Carolina Hurricanes. They are the Horrorcanes. And yes, I'm gonna keep using that until something changes to bring back our beloved team.

No, it doesn't make me feel better. What made me feel better was showing someone making ludicrous claims about Cam Ward that they were wrong. Oh yeah, and it wasn't 3 consecutive 5-goal losses, we lost to the Devils 3-2 the game before last night's vs. the Rangers. See? I did it again.

Sorry if I'm coming off rude or mean, but people who like to blame one person, especially a player, and especially a goalie, don't realize this is a team sport. If the whole team isn't working together, the team, more often than not, will not succeed. Insert your favorite goalie into Cam's spot. Do you really think they'd fare better than Cam has with the team assembled in front of him? No. It's like Steve Mason in Columbus. Mason is a pretty talented/skilled goalie, but the past two years he hasn't looked very good. Why? Because his team in front of him isn't a team that works well at all together. They have 2 wins and 12 regulation losses.

If you're looking for a goalie that can win you games regardless of the team put in front of them, you're looking for a legendary type goalie. And currently, there are none in the league that can do that. Every great goalie had a great team.

Cam is definitely not the problem, unless the problem is the goalie playing so well that he masks the degree of the problem in front of him.

Last night Cam single handedly kept us in the game until the end. Maybe he is part of the let downs, but they are team let downs.

No, the problem is some percentage of Mo and some percentage JR.

The more this drags on, the bigger that percentage is JR.

im still baffled, how, we are tied 1-1, we get power play, then staal, gets the stick in face penalty, they score 2 quick ones, like the caps game, and they totally fall apart.. is this lack of discipline, lack of confidence[thats what i think] and why, when they have showed in past ,with 2 boston wins, sabres win, chitown win, that they can play 60 minutes.. or of course is it the guy behind the bench??

The team we saw in the first 7 games is not the team we see now. They had an amazing forecheck (what happened to that?), grit, desire, energy and a losing isn't an option attitude where they seemed to be in the game until the very end. What happened to all that? Finding the answer is the key to turning this around. I think it's Maurice's job to do that, but he's not finding the answer. If he can't, we need someone who can. It's that simple. The pieces are there, minus a component or two.