The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

No, it doesn't make me feel better. What made me feel better was showing someone making ludicrous claims about Cam Ward that they were wrong. Oh yeah, and it wasn't 3 consecutive 5-goal losses, we lost to the Devils 3-2 the game before last night's vs. the Rangers. See? I did it again.

Sorry if I'm coming off rude or mean, but people who like to blame one person, especially a player, and especially a goalie, don't realize this is a team sport. If the whole team isn't working together, the team, more often than not, will not succeed. Insert your favorite goalie into Cam's spot. Do you really think they'd fare better than Cam has with the team assembled in front of him? No. It's like Steve Mason in Columbus. Mason is a pretty talented/skilled goalie, but the past two years he hasn't looked very good. Why? Because his team in front of him isn't a team that works well at all together. They have 2 wins and 12 regulation losses.

If you're looking for a goalie that can win you games regardless of the team put in front of them, you're looking for a legendary type goalie. And currently, there are none in the league that can do that. Every great goalie had a great team.

I guess what I meant so say was that during the previous 6 games we lost 4 Five goal games and one game3-2. Sorry b about my feeling that our goalie has problems and that his GAA is approaching Pi. I'll try to be more exact in the future.

Don't you guys think now would be the perfect time to make a move, via trade?

The guys are feeling good; give them a boost now while their energy is high, right? Bring in that winger for Staal, er...if he is still a center...

Don't you guys think now would be the perfect time to make a move, via trade?

The guys are feeling good; give them a boost now while their energy is high, right? Bring in that winger for Staal, er...if he is still a center...

I would agree with you but I have a feeling the asking price is too much or it involves one of JR's boys.

The second line is great with Skinner/Jokinen/Ruutu. The Staal/Sutter connection has the makings of a good line however they are missing a playmaker on the Right side, any suggestions?

Edited by RonnieFranchise

I would agree with you but I have a feeling the asking price is too much or it involves one of JR's boys.

You may be right - I think the problem is in order to make a trade, money would have to be sent out. I think the only player JR really wants to get rid of is Kaberle. For instance, I think a deal could be reach if we sent Boychuk and 2nd rd pick or whatever the other way, but more money needs to be sent out than just Boychuk's contract.

JR needs to find a team that is DESPERATE for an offensive-minded dman.

I'm hoping this past game gave Staal w/e boost he needed to get this year going. I think he SHOULD be at center - he has too much of a history as a big presence in the middle of the ice - a great history at that.

I may get mutilated for this, but I am seeing more and more chemistry between LaRose and Staal the more they play together. LaRose's game is pretty simple most of the time: shoot. Having Staal's big body parked at the net, he's usually good about tapping in the rebounds. But yes, we NEED some kind of playmaking winger for the first line.

If we're talking DRASTIC, I'd like to see the following (provided Juice is back):

Staal - Sutter - LaRose ... here's my thinking. 1, Sutter is showing offensive touch; 2, LaRose is showing offensive touch (believe it or not); 3, Sutter and LaRose have chemistry from playing together 3rd line last year and LaRose and Staal have chemistry of being best buds forever or whatever. So, take two guys who have been scoring, who have chemistry, put them on the same line with struggling superstar. Explain to Staal that a "change of scenery" to the wing is intended to give him a little different perspective and see if this can shake him out of his funk.

The other thing I like about sticking Staal on the wing with Sutter at center is that that line gets automatically better at D because Sutter is a responsible two-way player (which is something we used to say of Staal).

Wow. I feel like a hockey genius. It worked!

While I agree with so many that we need JR to find one more top line winger (to move LaRose down), I really like that of our top 6 guys, 5 are legit top players (Staal, Sutter, Skinner, Juice and Ruutu). And let's not discount that Chad is actually on pace to have the best year of his career.

While I agree with so many that we need JR to find one more top line winger (to move LaRose down), I really like that of our top 6 guys, 5 are legit top players (Staal, Sutter, Skinner, Juice and Ruutu). And let's not discount that Chad is actually on pace to have the best year of his career.

This is true. If he continues, LaRose can have around 20-25 goals and around 50 points. I'll be thrilled for him if he reaches 20 goals.

I think a first line player has to be able to create offense. It can be through brute speed with a little finnish, like Cole is his best days, or even maybe Sutter now, it can be through sniping, through nifty moves, or it can be through high skilled playmaking. LaRose does not have any of that. Yes he works his tail off, and he gets to the net, and can put the puck in if it is right there. To me that makes him a legit top 9 guy, but not a first liner. We tried it last year and he ended up with a +/- from heck. LaRose is far from a playmaker not putting up many assists either.

I will say this, LaRose has produced enough to justify his salary, and if he were a permanent fixture on the third line he'd be the man. Trying to make him play so far above his level has hurt his perception in my opinion. To me he has become the embodiment of what is wrong with this team. To little top line talent and a coach that overvalues and favors veterans.

LaRose can bang in those lose pucks from the third line and be a hero. But on the first line with Staal in a funk? No.

The thing is if we keep floundering, and while we put up a valiant fight vs. Pittsburgh we are far from out of the woods and still have too little pure talent up front, we will start to fall to a point that JR/PK may be even less likely to pull the trigger on a trade and just go into rebuild mode.

I understand that there are a lot of wrong moves that need to be avoided, and landing a top flight forward will not be easy or cheap, but what a difference it could make.

IMO LaRose has always played the consistent, (gritty and physical), over the years. I don't understand why people continue to think he's less than capable of being a top forward. Not the greatest player to ever play the game, but he always shows up on time! Again just my opinion

If Sutter and Staal can work out I think JR has to complete the top 6 via trade. If he can also find a 3rd line center I think that would be a formidable top 9 with plenty of depth. This all of course hinges on Sutter/Staal working out and the coaching staff sticking with it.

I a wondering if Pits is really hurt or if he may be on the trade block and they don't want him to maybe get hurt on the ice!! Stuff like that has happened before!

Also hate it that Cam seems to have regressed a little as well. Looks more like the Cam from a year or so back! To many softies!

Edited by djharley

LaRose is not a top line player. He's playing great this season, but eventually his production will taper off and either the coaching staff will get smart and move him to his rightful right wing on the third line, or they will bounce him between the top two lines hoping he'll start scoring again. I would be surprised if they did the smart thing in this case, we're talking about the Canes.

Don't get me wrong, I love LaRose. He shows grit and 100% effort every night. But the fact of the matter is he is nowhere near top line skill level. The fact he is playing on the top 3 proves how weak we are in depth at the moment, and how badly built our offense is.

Much, I'm sure, to many people's delight, I have little left to say at the moment. The elite teams are showing up how bad we are right now. Last night was like last year's formula to thrashing us. Cycle, hold the puck in our end, center, point blank shot. I'm thinking even Cam is now tiring. Were it not for two amazing mostly individual efforts by Dwyer shorthanded, it would have been the usual 5-1 thrashing.

I have little left until something happens.

11/15 Practice Update

• Light practice today before they leave for Montreal
  • No Pitkanen, he's out for a week
  • No Cam, Staal, LaRose Sutter or Jokinen either

Inconsistent defense, lack of a potent offense...that pretty much sums up the team right now. Now, I don't know enough to figure out what kind of players we can get via a trade, but it seems we should either focus on getting a top-line forward (like so many have already suggested), or find a good defenseman. There's no way we can fix both at the moment. You can either add more offense and hope you outscore the other team in high-scoring contests. Or you can boost/fix the defense, keep pressure on the other team, wear them down, and grind out a victory. Between the two choices, I'd rather we fix our defensive problems first.

I've seen more talk on these boards about finding a good forward via a trade than trying to find a good defenseman. So, and I'm assuming here, it seems that most everyone thinks that the quality of our defensemen overall is better than the quality of our forwards. Granted, I think we do have some weak spots on our defense, namely Kaberle. So, if it is not our talent that is causing our defensive woes, it must be the scheme and that falls on Mo. However, I wouldn't know what a good defensive scheme looked like since I don't have that knowledge. I will say, though, that as an untrained observer, I've noticed that we are continuously getting outshot by the other team and the spread chart on GameCasts continuously show a significantly greater amount of "point blank" shots on our goal as opposed to our opponents. Ward is definitely a great goaltender, but when you constantly face barrage after barrage of shots without many breaks (since we can't keep the puck in the offensive zone), he's going to let some goals through and it's going to wear him out. I think the evidence of this can be seen in our most recent games where he's been pulled.

I like the Sutter/Staal pairing, and they have shown a little promise since Sutter moved up. And I dare not do anything to the Finns and Skins line that has been our only consistent bright spot this season. I just would like to see us fix our defensive woes, but I get the feeling that playing a tough, aggressive defense may not be in the make up of our team. At least, not from what I've seen. But what do I know? Maybe if we do fix our offense and can keep the puck on the other side of the rink, maybe we won't have to rely so much on our star goaltender to keep us in a game. I really have no idea what the answer is, and I guess that is why I'm watching the games on tv instead of making those tough managerial decisions.

If anyone disagrees with anything I've said, I'm open to hear other thoughts. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can.

Inconsistent defense, lack of a potent offense...that pretty much sums up the team right now. Now, I don't know enough to figure out what kind of players we can get via a trade, but it seems we should either focus on getting a top-line forward (like so many have already suggested), or find a good defenseman. There's no way we can fix both at the moment. You can either add more offense and hope you outscore the other team in high-scoring contests. Or you can boost/fix the defense, keep pressure on the other team, wear them down, and grind out a victory. Between the two choices, I'd rather we fix our defensive problems first.

If we make a move, it will be for a top 6 forward...I think we've seen how important Pitkanen is to this team over the last 2 games. The minutes and space he eats up are incredibly valuable and he has had, hands down his best season to date with the team. I know there are a lot of haters out there and I am not saying his game is impecable but he has been sorely missed, especially last night. A move for a forward will vacate a spot for Faulk who will come up immediately. In addition to that there is so much defensive depth in the organization right now, I doubt we will take on a veteran contract...Faulk is already here and Murhpy, Doumalin and Biega are right behind. We will move Kabs or McBain and maybe another piece here or there for a top 6 guy to hopefully get us going.

I do like Tlusty Dalpe and Boychuk as a 4th line, they may develop some chemistry and could be a really good 3rd line as the season progresses with Dwyer Brent and Poni moving to that 4th spot. Poni's on a 1 year deal and is definatley a movable piece.

CALL ME CRAZY, THOUGHT kaberle had one of his better games.

Ok dinz,,,your crazy!!!lol,,,just doing what you asked!!! have a good one :cheers:

EhStew13Anthony Stewart - Take Care

Interesting..

"Take Care" is R&B Artist Drake's new CD, which was released today. Drake is from Canada, as is Stewart. Only reason I know this is because I was thinking the same...bye bye Stewart...until my 14-year old daughter corrected me! Guess that's what I get for trying to be Twitter-savy!

First post!