The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I think Faulk will stick around. He may even crack the top 6 as neither Joslin nor McBain are playing worth a crap right now.

As good as Murphy is, he's got another year in the "O" coming. He needs to get bigger.

Bowman, Boychuk, Samson, Sutter all going down today. A few of those probably never to return!

Definitely didn't expect Brett Sutter to be sent down today. Hopefully he and Sanguinetti aren't poached by another team. I know practice is at 1 but does anyone know when all of the cuts are going to be made?

EDIT: Well Chip just tweeted that Faulk, Murphy, and Nash are at practice today. So looks like they are safe for now. Still waiting to hear about Boychuk and Bowman though.

Edited by jfive

Gms don't do much poaching during the pre-season. For one, it's expected that EVERY team will have players leaving camp who have to clear waivers. So it's a "gentlmenly agreement". Second, if you claim a guy, you have yo keep him on your roster. So, unless one of these guys is NHL ready on another team, their safe.

Minn claimed Nick Johnson from the Pens today. So it does happen in the preseason, but not as much as later in the year.

Like last year when Calgary claimed Carson due to all their injuries on D.

TSN reports Samson, Matsumoto, Peters, Sanguinetti, Roy, Brett Sutter, Durno on waivers for purpose of sending to Checkers.

Of these Canes Sanguinetti, & Roy are the only ones to worry about clearing.

So of the remaining 24 players on the Canes roster, who is the last player cut to get down to 23?

Edited by rocheccw

Per the 'Canes homepage here:

Canes Trim Training Camp Roster to 24

Twelve players assigned to Charlotte Checkers’ training camp

Thursday, 29.09.2011 / 12:51 PM / News

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned 12 players from its training camp to its American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers. The Hurricanes’ training camp now stands at 24 players, and an updated training camp roster can be found here.

Forwards Drayson Bowman, Zach Boychuk, Chris Durno, Jon Matsumoto, Jerome Samson, Brett Sutter and Chris Terry, defensemen Justin Krueger, Mathieu Roy and Bobby Sanguinetti, and goaltenders Mike Murphy and Justin Peters, will join Charlotte’s training camp on Friday. All of the Checkers’ training camp sessions will take place at Extreme Ice Center in Indian Trail, NC. For information on Charlotte’s training camp, please click here.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

I think Faulk will get sent down before the start of the season to get to 23 players.

Then Murphy gets somewhere between 2 to 8 games, & then he is sent back to juniors.

Faulk can then be called back up at anytime.

Definitely didn't expect Brett Sutter to be sent down today. Hopefully he and Sanguinetti aren't poached by another team. I know practice is at 1 but does anyone know when all of the cuts are going to be made?

EDIT: Well Chip just tweeted that Faulk, Murphy, and Nash are at practice today. So looks like they are safe for now. Still waiting to hear about Boychuk and Bowman though.

Boychuk and Bowman were both sent down.

Looks like other than our NHL guys, the only prospects still in camp are Dalpe, Nash, Faulk and Ryan Murphy.

I think Dalpe is a lock to make it. It looks like Nash has the inside lane on a roster spot if JR plans on keeping an extra forward. It helps that Nash is a center. You conceivably ice the following centers: Staal - Sutter - Brent - Nash.

I still think Faulk winds up being cut but will be in Raleigh for a few games this year when injuries occur. It will not surprise me if Murphy sticks for 10 games before being sent to Kitchener.

I'm surprised The Other Sutter got sent down. I thought he'd had a good camp. I guess not good enough. I think it's just about time to cut ties with Boychuk. I think Samson, Bowman, Sutter and Terry all performed better than he did in camp. The guy is waaaaay down the list at this point, isn't he?

I just saw Chip at ice_chip tweet that Ruu probable won't play the last 2 exhibition games and Nash will fill in at center. Skinner will be back on wing.

Ruu was centering the line with Skinner on wing today at practice

I just saw Chip at ice_chip tweet that Ruu probable won't play the last 2 exhibition games and Nash will fill in at center. Skinner will be back on wing.

Ruu was centering the line with Skinner on wing today at practice

Ahhh. Here's your chance to shine young man! (Nash, that is. Skins already dazzles.)

Edited by wxray1

So, it looks like the forward lines are shaking out like this according to tweets by Chip on the lines running at practice.

Ponikarovsky, Staal, Dalpe

Skinner, Ruutu(Nash), Jokinen

Tlusty, Sutter, LaRose

Stewart, Brent, Dwyer

I think Tlusty has looked better than Stewart so far, so I guess it's not surprising he's bumped down, but to see Dalpe up with Staal and Poni is interesting. Looking forward to seeing all 4 lines together for a game or two.

I'm pumped for next Friday.

Well, Stewart starts out top 6 and ends up bottom 12. I doubt we will see 20 goals from him if he stays there. He has the size and attitude to skate on the fourth line. He will need to take advantage of every opportunity. The lines look about right to start the season. Now to untangle the traffic jam at the blue-line.

I prefer Dalpe in the top-6 before Stewart, not that I dislike Stewart so far, but we need speed and skill there more than speed and brute force. Of course, that assumes both Poni and Ruutu are on those lines at the time.

I prefer Dalpe in the top-6 before Stewart, not that I dislike Stewart so far, but we need speed and skill there more than speed and brute force. Of course, that assumes both Poni and Ruutu are on those lines at the time.

I have no problem with Dalpe skating top line or top 6. He will need to prove himself but so far he looks like he can hang. I do wonder what Stewart might be thinking. I'm sure his expectations were to be on a scoring line. If Brent and Stewart can play the fourth line role and pop a few in the net along the way I will be happy.

Am I reading something unsaid into your Poni-Ruu comment?

I have no problem with Dalpe skating top line or top 6. He will need to prove himself but so far he looks like he can hang. I do wonder what Stewart might be thinking. I'm sure his expectations were to be on a scoring line. If Brent and Stewart can play the fourth line role and pop a few in the net along the way I will be happy.

Am I reading something unsaid into your Poni-Ruu comment?

No, just saying Poni and Ruutu bring big bodies who can drive the net to the first two lines. Dalpe brings more skill, playmaking, and scoring ability than Stewart, who is more along the lines of whats already there.

I need to see more of Dalpe. I see his speed and drive and I've seen him score in the AHL. The coaches love him right now and he is clearly making the team. But I have not yet seen top line talent. Then again, I've only seen two games and one was poorly on the internet.

I think Dalpe has tremendous promise, but if he is our top line winger, then you know what I say next.

I am really digging Faulk. Because of the contract he will likely go back to Charlotte, but he will see serious Hurricane time before this year is over.

Stewart on the 4th line...hmmmm so much for 20 goals. I would not count Tlusty out. This is his last chance though.

Skinner is going to be sooooo much fun to watch this year.

Hurricanesbeat.com

Coach Mo says the club may start the season with nine defensemen, with Justin Faulk and Ryan Murphy on the roster. In fact, don't be surprised if Faulk cracks the starting lineup next Friday.

I have really liked what I've seen of both Murphy and Faulk. Murphy gets that 10 game free try out. That was where Skinner locked it down. You never know, but I just can't see going with Murphy, Faulk, McBain, Joslin...just a bit too little experience? As much as I can't wait to see Murphy, the situation will make that hard to happen.

I do think that Faulk's poise and sureness with the puck combined with his offensive upside make putting him on the roster a real possibility.

Is JR working the phones? Nothing spectacular out of Bowman or Boychuk or Stewart. Talk of Dalpe as our top winger? Seriously? GMS of the league: Anybody want any of our defensmen not named Faulk or Murphy? Is anyone completely untouchable back there besides those two? Nine defensemen, too many 3rd-4th line wingers, not enough first line wingers......doesn't that kind of cry out for a trade?

I would seriously go with Faulk on the team and trade whatever defenseman someone else wanted to get a top winger, or a really good second line center. Throw in whatever else you need to. Picks, whatever.

Edited by remkin

I have really liked what I've seen of both Murphy and Faulk. Murphy gets that 10 game free try out. That was where Skinner locked it down. You never know, but I just can't see going with Murphy, Faulk, McBain, Joslin...just a bit too little experience? As much as I can't wait to see Murphy, the situation will make that hard to happen.

I do think that Faulk's poise and sureness with the puck combined with his offensive upside make putting him on the roster a real possibility.

Is JR working the phones? Nothing spectacular out of Bowman or Boychuk or Stewart. Talk of Dalpe as our top winger? Seriously? GMS of the league: Anybody want any of our defensmen not named Faulk or Murphy? Is anyone completely untouchable back there besides those two? Nine defensemen, too many 3rd-4th line wingers, not enough first line wingers......doesn't that kind of cry out for a trade?

I would seriously go with Faulk on the team and trade whatever defenseman someone else wanted to get a top winger, or a really good second line center. Throw in whatever else you need to. Picks, whatever.

This should look familiar. Not enough blue line talent, too many 3rd/4th line guys, prospects in the AHL that should be capable of making this team already but there's a logjam at 3rd/4th line. Our top 6 is not going to scare anyone.

This is why we missed the playoffs last year, and it's why we're a bubble team again this year. I know I'm excited to see hockey this year, but I'm extremely apprehensive about the 2011-2012 Canes.

I still don't expect Joslin to be in the lineup next weekend. His mono may very well have him put on IR and sent to Charlotte for rehab. That frees up a spot for an extended look at Faulk or Murphy. But in the end, Murphy is going back to Kitchener. It takes longer than a few days to overcome mono, and Joslin looked terrible the other night.

I still don't have much faith in this core of defense though. I don't see the swap of Corvo for Kaberle as much more than a wash. At least Corvo was much more dedicated to fitness. Gleason has to be 3x better than he was last season, or he's going to find himself traded for a low draft pick in March. McBain.....I'll hold judgement until I've seen him play a few more games....he's still young. But so far he's been subpar.