The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I really am quite sure that JR is working the phones hard and worked that GM meeting hard. I also believe that JR wants to make a trade even if it might not be perfect, and might end up giving up more than he wanted to (or would have had to if he had just made a real move offseason). So I have to think that he just hasn't found a guy that is even worth overpaying for.

If that continues and we continue our current path, he will have no choice but make a coaching change.

ice_chipChip Alexander - Rutherford: "Once we get through the weekend, we should have a better idea of the overall picture, where we're going."

LOL, so the first 19 games doesn't shed any light on where we are going?

LOL, so the first 19 games doesn't shed any light on where we are going?

I have to think he means that he'll know what's out there for a trade.

Love him or not, JR is way too smart to not know that we've bottomed.

No way I trade any picks or prospects to try & help this team out.

I'm not throwing in the towel, but no need to trade the future.

And unfortunately no one wants anyone that we are willing to trade.

Ugh. Canes Youth & Amateur Hockey Night is the Sunday game against Toronto. We're going. I hope Mo isn't, but JR's comments lead me to believe it's going to be a listless affair full of silence at the RBC Center... unless the Maple Leaf fans show up.

I'm readying the paper bag for my head.

I told my kids this might be the only game we're going to, unless this team sees a turn around. Do I want to go to games? Of course I do. But I don't want to go see this "team" right now. Ugh.

From: @DarrenDreger: Hurricanes may be running out of options. Trade or coaching change. I expect one or the other. All the signs are there.

Of course JR will do nothing....

No way I trade any picks or prospects to try & help this team out.

The thing too is that the higher we pick the more we are giving up if we trade a pick, especially a first rounder.

The more the team flounders, the more valuable that pick is.

I'd trade a late first rounder for "the" guy. But not a top 10 pick.

Edited by remkin

From line combinations at practice, it looks like Boychuk may be sent back to Charlotte

Might be a good thing for him. Has anyone else noticed the pounding he is taking out there? He's hit hard every time he is on the ice. Seems like he has a hard time positioning himself to take or avoid a hit.

From TSN / ESPN:

Speaking of disappointments (that was a Burnside-like transition, was it not?), the Hurricanes lost again last night -- and did so in ugly fashion. It's never good to hear players say afterward that they never showed up for a game, but those were the comments coming from the Carolina room. Carolina is 3-7 in its last 10 and currently in the No. 14 spot in the East. Paul Maurice has to be at least a little nervous, or maybe it's time for a trade. I can't imagine GM Jim Rutherford letting this slide continue much longer without action.

LeBrun: I was hearing whispers this morning that the Hurricanes are very much active on the phone looking at what was out there. Rutherford won’t sit on his hands while this slide continues. My sense is that a trade is more likely to come before a coaching change. Perhaps a trade can buy Paul Maurice some time behind the bench, but if the losses continue to pile up, he might be in trouble as well. American Thanksgiving is the time-honored threshold on the calendar for teams to size up what they have and get ready to act on the trade front. In Carolina, that’s been sped up a week, if the Hurricanes are able to find what they want out on the market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/12359/daily-debate-big-gamble-in-chicago-and-free-fall-in-carolina

Edited by rocheccw

The fate of the season is hanging on the edge. That's no exaggeration. It is that bad. The Canes are going to have to start winning -- a lot -- in order to make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, JR is talking about swapping around guys from Charlotte? What? Mo isn't even giving the ones here a chance. What's that going to do?

How about perspective. Do you all remember the Washington Season of 07-08? Of course you do. Washington pulled out of a power dive only to dash our hapless Cane's playoff hopes right at the end of the season. Ultimately, that put Lavi on PK and JR's death watch. Anyway, the Cane's season this year is going in spooky parallel to the Washington season 4 years ago. At this point, Canes have 15 pts, Wash had 13. Glen Hanlon was fired on November 22.

If you have the time, take a look at the link and scroll to the bottom and just get the gist of "red" and "green". In order for the Caps to make the playoffs (with 94 points), they had an incredible set of runs in Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar. It is scary what it will take to turn it around. Keep in mind that Washington clearly had tons of talent at that time, I think it would be safe to say a talent level over what the Hurricanes have today.

The more I look, the more depressed I am.

Strangely, I'm glad JR isn't doing a trade just to do one. I think this season is over, so JR might as well start planning for next year. There's no rush. It's done.

I'm reading the Chip tweets that Jeromeo posted and I am shaking my head in disgust.

How could last night's "game", not be the final straw? I do not understand. How many more blowout losses do we need to endure before JR finally wakes up and realizes that Maurice HAS LOST THE TEAM? For crying out loud, just about every hockey writer/analyst is saying what I and the rest of the fans are saying.

"I have a lot ideas in my head right now but no conclusions". This reeks of a lazy high school student, one who procrastinates.

So we're not even going to give Boychuk or Dalpe top minutes and instead just send them back to Charlotte so Jiri Tlusty and Chad LaRose can play first or second line minutes? What a waste. Why bother calling them up at all then?

I don't know what to say about the potential trades quote.

"Once we get through the weekend, we should have a better idea of the overall picture, where we're going." Really? You have to wait two more games to see where we are going? Well buddy, let me clue you in, WE ARE HEADED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE STANDINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you seriously not see this last night? I have a 15 y.o. cousin, rarely watches sports, but even she can see this team is terrible and needs to change. Are you not listening to what the fans/hockey writers/etc. are saying? THIS IS NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

There is still time to salvage the season and make a run for the playoffs. Are you going to wake up and realize that? Can you please put your damn friendship with Maurice aside? Can you realize that signing him to a 3 year contract was a mistake? Will you please do something about this mess? And now while there is still time? Please?

"Once we get through the weekend, we should have a better idea of the overall picture, where we're going." Really? You have to wait two more games to see where we are going?

Could it be possible we have made an offer to a new coach and/or made a trade proposal that another GM is thinking over. We may be waiting on a decision by someone else before knowing the complete picture.

Could it be possible we have made an offer to a new coach and/or made a trade proposal that another GM is thinking over. We may be waiting on a decision by someone else before knowing the complete picture.

I don't believe the hold up for change is on JR's end. ;)

Chip's still tweeting:

Maurice on coaching speculation: "This is the grind that you learn to survive and deal with it as a man."

Asked Maurice speculation about job. "It's not a one-time thing. We've been dealing with that for a while."

Staal: "The coaching staff has been very good. They're doing all they can." Said players need to jell as a group, play better D for Ward.

Staal: "We have to play for each other, and sticking together. That's the only way you can do it."

Don't know what to say about the Mo quotes. As for the Staal quotes: that's standard stuff from a captain, or most any players. They won't throw the boss under the bus. You probably wouldn't publicaly do the same to your immediate boss either.

Chip also tweeted Dalpe to go back to Charlotte and Stewart will get a start apparently on the Staal line

The thing that is bothering me right now is the fact that JR does not have a history of big, shake up type deals. IMO that needs to happen if he plans on keeping Mo much longer.

Chip also tweeted Dalpe to go back to Charlotte and Stewart will get a start apparently on the Staal line

Pressbox to the 1st line. Wow. Mo has a handle on this thing.

How about one of those "State of the Canes" things, JR.

Edited by super_dave_1

There are a couple easy things we can do to start winning, but JR needs to stop basing his team on personal relationships, and start managing it as a business that needs to win....

1. Fire Mo.

2. Trade for a top 6 forward

3. Poni, Kabs, McBain need to go (i wouldnt mind seeing LaRose go 2)

4. Dalpe and Boychuk need top 6 minutes and tlusty should get in the top 9

5. LaRose needs to be a 3rd or probably 4th line winger because him playing 1st line is a joke....Maurice keeps making line changed but sticks with Rosey on the first line...there's your problem

Play our young guys, trade, fire mo-its simple...sure we might not make the playoffs but it will be way more exciting watching a young team with a bright future developing than watching a more veteran team losing and making mistakes...If over 10,000 fans can see the problem-y cant JR?