The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

This is exactly what some of us have been trying to say for weeks. So many have called for Maurice's head and while he certainly has played a big part in all the troubles, there's plenty of blame to go around from the top down. This team is lacking in several areas and no matter what Maurice does or doesn't do (or says or doesn't say) , there's just not enough overall skill here to be able to compete at a high level consistently. We've seen glimmers of solid play from individual players, at times the whole team and even a few great wins but imo, there's just not enough of anything to be able to string any number of wins together.

Its pretty obvious JR's hands are tied and when something can be done that won't handicap the future of this team, he'll do it. In the mean time, there's not much to do but hope the kids get their experience while the vets find a way out of their funk.

What would be the difference if we won and Kaberle was scratched,,WE WON,,How hard is it to figure that out.Even if you are paying the guy way to much money don't let him cost you the win. They need to face it,,they screwed up by signing him,even if it was for $10.00 a game.

What would be the difference if we won and Kaberle was scratched,,WE WON,,How hard is it to figure that out.Even if you are paying the guy way to much money don't let him cost you the win. They need to face it,,they screwed up by signing him,even if it was for $10.00 a game.

So are you saying the only reason we lost the game last night was because Kaberle played, and we would have won if he didn't? Last I checked, defense wasn't the big issue last night....scoring goals was.

Kaberle was the worst signing since OhNOzolinsh!!! $4.25M for 3 years...when no one else wanted him.

He needs to be in the press box.

Poni is a bust. Only 1.5M for 1 year though.

Stewart is unproven...Seems to hardly get a chance in the top 9. But is really cheap at 900K for 2 years.

So, I blame JR as well.

What I don't understand is JR came out & said he disagrees with MO on not playing the prospects more than 5 min a game. Really?...didn't you fire a Stanley Cup winning coach cause you disagreed with what he was doing with the team?

Do NOT trade any picks or prospects to help this team. It is too late for them.

Instead start looking to move UFA for picks & prospects.

Time to do a full rebuild...starting with MO!!!

I may be the only one, but I see value in Poni. Not the expected replacement for Cole, but a low cost one year signing.

Why? Poni IMo is one of the more responsible players in getting back defensively. IMO he fits nicely with Sutter and Dwyer, but not the expected high scoring winger some hoped for. Even if Sutter moves to play Center with Staal, a replacement 3rd line center will benefit from Poni on wing.

While we're talking transactions, JR did re-sign Jussi and IMO was right to pass on Cole at the asking price given Cole's age.

Practice Update: 11/19

• Missing from practice: LaRose, Dwyer, Sutter and Jokinen. And Joni Pitkanen, still out with a lower-body concern.
  • No news on Dwyer yet
  • Power play work down in one end with Ruutu, Skinner, Staal, McBain and Faulk. Harrison-Kaberle the other D-pair.
  • A forward will be recalled from Charlotte
  • Joni Pitkanen down graded to day-to-day
  • Ward in goal for Leafs game

Production rates, 20 games in...

I have to admit, theres's not much enthusiasm in putting together these numbers, but I did, if only for the sake of propagating useless statistics.

This is still a very small sample, so take it for what it's worth. Keep in mind that there are a couple of players that have only had limited ice time so far.

Like previous production numbers posted, I have combined even strength and power play stats to calculate the numbers (Shorthanded stats are not included. Yes, this hurts some players - primarily Sutter, Dwyer and Brent - but Staal and Tlusty also have short-handed points.)

The production rate reflects goals + points per 60 minutes played.

(i.e. goals + points / toi * 60)

(i.e. goals count twice as much as assists.)

This only shows production - obviously players bring more to the game than this will indicate.

I have included the production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here.

After 20:

1st20- 1st10 *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

4.14 - 4.80 Jeff Skinner (4.12)

3.24 - 3.25 Jussi Jokinen (3.71)

3.09 - 3.12 Tuomo Ruutu (3.32)

2.88 - 2.35 Chad LaRose (2.07)

2.81 - 3.75 Anthony Stewart

2.31 - 2.31 *Brett Sutter

1.83 - 2.50 Jiri Tlusty (1.93)

1.70 - 2.57 Eric Staal (3.72)

1.44 - 3.38 Tim Brent

1.40 - 1.56 Alexei Ponikarovsky

1.17 - 2.34 Brandon Sutter (2.12)

0.45 - 0.88 Patrick Dwyer (1.45)

0.00 - 0.00 *Zac Dalpe (3.56)

0.00 - 0.00 *Zach Boychuk (2.67)

As a comparison, this is last season's numbers after game 20 (and the previous full season when available):

Last season:

1st20- 1st10 *=less than 100 minutes (previous season)

4.57 - 2.42 Eric Staal (3.88)

4.01 - 3.66 Jeff Skinner

3.82 - 2.67 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

3.44 - 2.82 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

3.36 - 2.05 Chad LaRose (2.66)

3.12 - -.-- *Jon Matsumoto

2.96 - 2.59 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

2.96 - 1.98 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

2.75 - 2.10 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

2.68 - 3.02 Erik Cole (2.47)

1.83 - 0.61 Tom Kostopoulos (1.69)

1.61 - 0.00 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

1.35 - 1.71 *Patrick O'Sullivan

1.30 - 1.30 *Zac Dalpe

0.00 - 0.00 *Drayson Bowman (2.22)

0.00 - -.-- *Troy Bodie

I'm not, if JR makes a coaching change he at least in the past has always waited for a lull in the schedule. I would wait until we have 3-4 days off in the schedule to be surprised.

I'm not, if JR makes a coaching change he at least in the past has always waited for a lull in the schedule. I would wait until we have 3-4 days off in the schedule to be surprised.

That would end his tenure on December 9th. I am not sure we can go through this purgatory for 11 more games. I would hope that any trades or coaching changes would have been completed by then.

JR may hesitate to fire Mo just yet because he feels he has not given him a team he can win with. So JR's preference may be to try a trade first.

Once JR publicly mentioned the plan to trade a DMan for a winger for Staal, I figured something was pretty well worked out and would happen quickly. Perhaps the delay was because something fell through, or perhaps JR just wanted to wait out Pitkanen's injury.

With the call-up of Faulk, and Dalpe being sent down (prior to being called back up due to Dwyer's injury), JR has set the stage for a DMan for forward swap. Also, they may want to see how Faulk does (hence the wait through the weekend statement) to know if they can get by without waiting for Pitkanen's return before trading a DMan.

Just speculation, obviously, but I would expect a trade sooner rather than later, possibly very soon if Faulk continues to play well, with a coaching change perhaps down the road, depending on how things go after a trade.

I gotta say, I am surprised no changes have been made, yet..

Well I found another rumor from over at HockeyBuzz. This one's not from Eklund himself, but it's just a rumor nonetheless. The important quote in the article is:

So perhaps we're looking at McBain, a 2nd, and a conditional pick (based on Hemsky signing a new deal in Carolina) for Ales Hemsky?

I know a few here have mentioned Hemsky before and have probably thought of a trade of this nature. Just throwing it out there since it's being proposed by a guy that follows the Oilers. As for me, I think I'd take a good long look at this and at least consider doing it. While McBain is young and has a bunch of potential, he's struggling a bit and we'd both be adding a winger for Staal and clearing room for Faulk to stay in the lineup. It would be a risky move for sure though. And with PK's spending habits firmly established, I doubt a deal like this (adding to payroll) would really happen anyway.

Yeah, for some reason, I've had a feeling for a while now that we are going to be dealing with the Oilers. They have expended forwards and we have an extra dman, which they need. I'm just hoping we can somehow rid ourselves of this Kaberle contract.

I didn't really mean a coaching change - I meant the trade we all seem to be waiting on..

In his recent interview he did seem to say nothing was available and I believe him on that point. Last time he was in this position he traded Kapanen for nothing, so I'd rather him make a smart move then make a move just to make a move.

That would end his tenure on December 9th. I am not sure we can go through this purgatory for 11 more games. I would hope that any trades or coaching changes would have been completed by then.

I understand that but that's how JR has operated in the past and I doubt he'd stray from it.

How about this:

(Gagner/Jones/Eager) from EDM in exchange for (Mcbain/Larose/Poni)

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

(Boychuk/Bowman)-Staal-Sutter

Jones-Gagner-(Dwyer/Dalpe)

Eager-Brent-Stewart

Pitkanen-Gleason

Allen-Faulk

Harrison-Kaberle

Ward

Boucher

Edited by RonnieFranchise

The Oilers are 9-7-2, which while not amazing isn't too shabby. I don't think they're looking for a major shakeup. A forward whom they feel they'd be unable to sign in the offseason for a young dman and a draft pick or two? Probably perfect for them.

How about this:

(Gagner/Jones/Eager) from EDM in exchange for (Mcbain/Larose/Poni)

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Jones-Staal-Gagner

Tlusty-Sutter-Dwyer

Eager-Brent-Stewart

Pitkanen-Gleason

Allen-Faulk

Harrison-Kaberle

Ward

Boucher

I don't quote on this message board too often, but I would like to propose a counter offer to yours, RonnieFranchise. Three things this team could use an injection of would be, A.) first line wing, B.) 2nd line center C.)veteran leadership. Both of these options would help Staal and help the team out of the funk they are in. My proposal to Edmonton would be....

To Edmonton: Jamie McBain, Anthony Stewart, San Jose 2nd( from White trade), conditional pick (Hemsky contract extension pending)

To Carolina: Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, 3rd rd. pick

We would get that 2nd line center we have been missing this season in Horcoff (and brings a bit of veteran leadership being that he is the Oilers captain), and that top line playmaking winger that Staal needs (depth up front). Edmonton would receive a puck moving D-man in McBain as well as a servicable player in Stewart. Both teams would receive draft picks to strengthen their rosters for the future as well. Carolina would send a conditional pick that would possibly start as a 6th/7th rounder, and could go as low as 4th/5th rounder with Hemsky singing a contract extension with us.

Please feel free to add/contract from my proposal or drop a comment!

Edited by shauniac79

I don't quote on this message board too often, but I would like to propose a counter offer to yours, RonnieFranchise. Three things this team could use an injection of would be, A.) first line wing, B.) 2nd line center C.)veteran leadership. Both of these options would help Staal and help the team out of the funk they are in. My proposal to Edmonton would be....

To Edmonton: Jamie McBain, Anthony Stewart, San Jose 2nd( from White trade), conditional pick (Hemsky contract extension pending)

To Carolina: Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, 3rd rd. pick

We would get that 2nd line center we have been missing this season in Horcoff (and brings a bit of veteran leadership being that he is the Oilers captain), and that top line playmaking winger that Staal needs (depth up front). Edmonton would receive a puck moving D-man in McBain as well as a servicable player in Stewart. Both teams would receive draft picks to strengthen their rosters for the future as well. Carolina would send a conditional pick that would possibly start as a 6th/7th rounder, and could go as low as 4th/5th rounder with Hemsky singing a contract extension with us.

Please feel free to add/contract from my proposal or drop a comment!

My main concern with this is that it would most likely break up the Skins and Fins line. Not sure I'd want to break up the one thing that's going right for this team, but then again, maybe spreading those guys out will lift everyone up around them. Interesting proposal at the very least.

That sounds like a great deal for us, but why would Edmonton want to trade a top line winger and their captain/2nd line center for 1 decent defenseman and a dime a dozen player? (the picks basically even out) That would be like us trading Staal and Ruutu for what Kaberle was supposed to be (or call him a Pitkanen) and Tlusty. No way jose

My main concern with this is that it would most likely break up the Skins and Fins line. Not sure I'd want to break up the one thing that's going right for this team, but then again, maybe spreading those guys out will lift everyone up around them. Interesting proposal at the very least.

Thanks for the nice comments Stealth! You know I never took into account the 2nd line has been our best line so far this year. Good call on that one. Maybe shift Horcoff to third line right wing and that would balance out the lines with Stewart being gone. Our powerplay would get a huge boost with the addition as well! The Oilers so far tonight are 4 for 7 on the PP with Hall (2 pp goals) and Horcoff scoring(1 pp goal)!

Staal- Poni-Hemsky

Rutuu-Skinner-Jokinen (you could swap Jokinen w/ Rutuu @ center)

Sutter-LaRose-Horcoff

Brent-Tlusty-Boychuk/Dalpe ( that one's just for MO ) LOL! :coollaugh:

Allen-Gleason

Pitkanen-Kaberle ( doh! )

Harrison-Faulk ( Faulk has looked great since his 2nd call-up)

Wardo

Boucher

Am I Forgetting anyone? Feel free to help me out with this one, please.

That sounds like a great deal for us, but why would Edmonton want to trade a top line winger and their captain/2nd line center for 1 decent defenseman and a dime a dozen player? (the picks basically even out) That would be like us trading Staal and Ruutu for what Kaberle was supposed to be (or call him a Pitkanen) and Tlusty. No way jose

Well you have too take into account the fact that Edmonton has a couple of players coming off their ELC soon, (ie; Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi) and they have to find a way pay them. That leaves out Hemsky, who at the current time is more of a 2nd liner on that roster. Before Horcoff was team captain he was just a so called "dime-a-dozen" player. But of course, like all teams that have a bunch of young guns, you need a veteran presence to fill the captaincy role, therefor Horcoff was elected as as such ( Eberle or Hall should be considered future captain material ). Its also no secret that the Oilers live and die by the youth movement whereas the Canes need older players or vets to succeed under the Maurice regime. Yes, the picks even out the deal. But the overall trade works for both sides due to the fact that both teams receive equal components to fit each teams needs. Only problem with the deal is, we are still stuck with Kabs with that high dollar salary to do exactly like you said, Pitkanen does!

Edited by shauniac79