The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Sorry dont have the link right now but the latest rumor from Spectors is Bryan Allen for Antoine Vermette (via Columbus)

IDK how that really helps us getting rid of one the few guys that can play defense for what i consider a mediocre winger

. Hope a rumor is all it turns out to be

Here you go:

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reported “there’s talk” of the Columbus Blue Jackets shipping winger Antoine Vermette to the Carolina Hurricanes for defenseman Bryan Allen…Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard is a healthy scratch and available but his $3.25 million per season cap hit makes him too expensive…The NY Islanders are said to be seeking a second line center and could shop winger Kyle Okposo…Matheson wondered what the Oilers could get from the Blackhawks if the latter were interested in Sam Gagner to play second line center with Patrick Kane…The Hurricanes are shopping defenseman Tomas Kaberle, but his $4 million per season salary isn’t attracting interest…

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Vermette does have some trade value, but he also has a cap hit of $3.75 million per season. Not sure if the budget-conscious Hurricanes would have interest in that…Brassard seems untradeable at this time…Not sure if the Isles would shop Okposo, but he’s definitely slumping big time this season, and the struggling Isles need to shake things up…Dunno why the Blackhawks would want Gagner as a second line center, when Kane is playing so well (14 points in his last 11 games) in that role…Good luck moving Kaberle, whose stock has fallen off significantly over the past year.

Trading Allen means many more shots coming Ward's way. Allen leads this team in blocked shots.. Plus, JR has said a couple of times that Allen is one of the guys that actually speaks up in the locker room.

However, has Harrison's play made Allen more expendable?

Edited by jeromeo87

This might be a dumb question, but as a novice fan I really don't understand. Other than having to deal with injured players, why does Mo change the lines so much? Granted with the way this season has been going, you have to try ANYTHING and see if it works. But, I would think that you would leave some lines alone to build chemistry and let them gel.

There are no dumb questions. Many of us both long time and new hockey fans have been asking the same question. IMO we keep trying to fit square pegs in round holes in the hope one will surprise us and fit. Really your guess is as good as any.

Trading Allen means many more shots coming Ward's way. Allen leads this team in blocked shots.. Plus, JR has said a couple of times that Allen is one of the guys that actually speaks up in the locker room.

However, has Harrison's play made Allen more expendable?

I would think it is more a feeling that Joslin and/or Faulk can fill the void left by Allen. Not sure I like this but will be the first to admit we need to do something. Of course it is only a rumor at this point.

Why all the line shifting is a good question. Mo would probably say trying to find chemistry, or get so-and-so going. Matching up against defense is another one. In reality, a lot of it has to do with trying to find a guy who would usually be on the 3rd or 4th line who can play up a line or 2. That will be a constant battle for anyone coaching this team.

There are no dumb questions. Many of us both long time and new hockey fans have been asking the same question. IMO we keep trying to fit square pegs in round holes in the hope one will surprise us and fit. Really your guess is as good as any.

I would think it is more a feeling that Joslin and/or Faulk can fill the void left by Allen. Not sure I like this but will be the first to admit we need to do something. Of course it is only a rumor at this point.

Good point. Also, I just doubt that they would resign both Gleason and Allen after the season (though, I really wish they would). So, if this rumor has any merit, we are giving up a guy we probably won't resign for a guy who is under contract for the next 3 to 4 years at a good value, in my opinion. From what I know of Vermette, he has a nice shot, shootout skills, and has no problem going to the net. The question is whether he would play center or winger here. I'm sure Mo would try everything with him.

Edited by jeromeo87

Good point. Also, I just doubt that they would resign both Gleason and Allen after the season (though, I really wish they would). So, if this rumor has any merit, we are giving up a guy we probably won't resign for a guy who is under contract for the next 3 to 4 years at a good value, in my opinion. From what I know of Vermette, he has a nice shot, shootout skills, and has no problem going to the net. The question is whether he would play center or winger here. I'm sure Mo would try everything with him.

I'm sure that kind of logic will enter into any trade we make. As for how we would use Vermette I'm going to guess as a winger.

After further thought maybe put him at center. Ok..ok..I don't know

I'd like to preface my post by stating I know absolutely nothing about Vermette. If we were to bring him in, what do you guys who know of him think would be the best place for him? It would all hinge on whether we move Sutter back up to centering Staal (which I think worked alright). If we did that, he'd most likely center the 2nd line. If not, maybe he plays wing with Staal. Or we could go with a Vermette-Sutter-Staal line. Lots of possibilites, but I don't know what would be the better fit. Thoughts?

I'd like to preface my post by stating I know absolutely nothing about Vermette. If we were to bring him in, what do you guys who know of him think would be the best place for him? It would all hinge on whether we move Sutter back up to centering Staal (which I think worked alright). If we did that, he'd most likely center the 2nd line. If not, maybe he plays wing with Staal. Or we could go with a Vermette-Sutter-Staal line. Lots of possibilites, but I don't know what would be the better fit. Thoughts?

I think he's most comfortable at Center, so maybe he is the missing 2nd line center we have been looking for since Cullen. That way we could move Jokinen back with Staal. However, JR DID say they are looking for a WINGER to play with Staal, so...

Just want a throw a random question out there. Both Allen and Gleason have one year left on their contracts; if you could only resign one in the offseason, which would you choose?

Put Gleason and Allen in a small dark room, toss in a broken pool cue and shut the door. You'll know who to keep in the morning.

This might be a dumb question, but as a novice fan I really don't understand. Other than having to deal with injured players, why does Mo change the lines so much? Granted with the way this season has been going, you have to try ANYTHING and see if it works. But, I would think that you would leave some lines alone to build chemistry and let them gel.

He is jumbling them too much, that is correct. He has been trying to find a combination to ignite Staal and get him out of the slump, but obviously that hasn't worked out. But I'm with you, he should stop and let them gel and eventually Staal will get himself sorted out or he wont. But the revolving line stuff has to stop or no one will gain chemistry.

Allen for Vermette huh? Antoine is a decent player, he doesn't miss games, he relatively consistent, but not a top line guy so he could be centering the Skins and Fins line (thus eliminating that cool line-name) freeing up Jokinen to play with Staal? Hmm... sounds pretty good... but losing Allen will hurt an already shaky defense. I guess Dave Lewis will lean on Harrison and Faulk to pick up the slack. And Faulk looks like he might be able to do that.

Speaking of Harrison... gotta love his new slap shot.

Vermette would be a prototypical JR move. He is skilled, but his production has dropped back after a great year a couple of years ago and at least statistically off to a slow start. So, might benefit from a change of scenery. Also, not a guy moving from a great team to a terrible team.

If he is under contract for a few years it might be a very nice complimentary piece moving forward. Lock down second line center for a few years. Moving Jussi up to Staal's line might help, but it is not THE move.

Another thought though is that over the past few years it appears that Vermette has developed some nice play making skill. I have recollections of him being fairly skilled when he was with Ottawa. He could center Staal's line for a while. In 09 he put up 65 points including 38 assists. Those numbers would really help on Staal's line.

Not nearly a point a game guy like Hemsky, but still, would help. While I would hate to give up Allen, at least it doesn't give up the future, and if Kabs can start playing better he might be more tradable later for even more help.

I'd pull the trigger on this one.

edit: I wonder if Boychuk and Dalpe down and Sutter up means this deal is nearly done?

Edited by remkin

I'm not expecting a trade involving a defensman until Pitkanen is healthy.

As far as that Harrison slap shot, I'm digging it, but he needs to hit the net more. Harrison keeps getting better, at least in my opinion. I read a few things in the Toronto media about him yesterday and they seemed to say the same things about how well he has done since coming over to the Canes. It was good to read positives around the team for a change.

I'm pretty sure JR has wanted Vermette for quite awhile going back to his Ottawa days. Vermette played Center then and killed penalties. He's the perfect 3rd line center to get Sutter out of that role. I'd make the trade.

Well it certaintly does shed some light on that Columbus beat writer posting on Chips twitter wall not long ago. Was kinda wondering if anything would come from his comment.

JR had liked Vermette for some time now, as someone else suggested. But I wouldn't be looking at trading Allen for him. We need Allen, Gleason and Harrison to balance out the offensive-minded D-men. And esp since Allen is both a good character guy and such a good shot blocker on a team that has allowed more goals than any other in the league this year. Keep Allen.

If I could dream for a second, I want Getzlaf or Iginla playing with Staal. Eric played like a monster in the Olympics with Getzlaf and Iginla has the heart and drive that we need.

I thought I might wake up to the news that we had Vermette. Very sweet goal Gejustin showed, between the legs.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this. Not sure why Columbus would give him up, but fine with me.

I really like his being signed for a while because he could be a nice piece no matter what we do moving forward. I love Ruutu, and he has put some pucks in but somehow so far seems off a little. I definitely want him back and I assume he wants back with his fellow fins, but you never know. Either way, we want to fill out a truly dangerous top 6. Right now we have a dangerous top 4 IF you include Staal. So, even if by some chance we find the top winger (even if it's a rental), we can slot them in.

I still like Boychuk and have to trust others that Dalpe is going to be a scorer, but for whatever reason their development is slow.

I'm still a Hemsky guy, but Hemsky is not a typical JR move, especially if he can't sign him. Plus, Hemsky is so injury prone and Vermette is rock solid.

After last night, I wonder if even a somewhat smaller move like this might not be enough.

The last few games have shown that we really might be a piece or two away from being a decent team. No we're not going to be elite, but we need some playoffs.

We also need playmaking. Until last night plays were not part of our game. Vermette can bring that.

Edited by remkin

Sorry for the back to back posts, but I'm just that full of ideas.

But seriously....

Don't look now but our schedule....O.K., look now......

Our schedule lays out for a very nice run and what a perfect time for it on the heels of two very nice wins. Plus, when this mini run of winnable games is over we run into the wall the Pittsburgh is and then head out West and then get our post road trip let down game vs. Vancouver. So, not only do we have a shot to have a nice run, but if we don't we will almost certainly fall back more.

MTL, WPG, ott, FLA, NYR. The capitalized games at home. I'm not saying that this team is going 5-0 over that stretch. But what about a team with a brand new top 6 forward to juice things up? Add a really nice run through those 5 games to our current 2 game streak and we could have a little something going.

I say make the move TODAY!!!!

Come on JR!

Don't look now but our schedule....O.K., look now......

Our schedule lays out for a very nice run and what a perfect time for it on the heels of two very nice wins.

Yep, the next 5 games do set up well. No excuses from Mo about playing good teams.

3 and 2 WILL NOT do it. That pace isn't sufficient to pull them out of their hole and get on a playoff hunt.

It has to be 4 or 5 wins. Must be. And even then, it just fills the hole a bit. They'd have to continue over .500 after that on their Western swing.

These upcoming games are incredibly important and will swing the season.

Niclas Bergfors is on waivers..Not a huge fan, but picking him up would remind me a little of when JR picked up Samsonov

No thanks.

From the Hockey Writers site (Mar 2011):

It’s safe to say that the entire Atlanta Thrashers hockey club has needed a wake up call on numerous occasions this season, but the hard work never stops for a large majority of the players in the lineup. Bergfors though, seemed to be the one player that was not understanding what Craig Ramsey was preaching, strong work ethic.

Bergfors had high praise when drafted by the New Jersey Devils organization in 2005. There was one flaw that was abundantly clear though, his inability to consistently work hard at both ends of the ice. Five years and counting and you can find that same issue with Niclas Bergfors.

I think I posted this somewhere else.. not sure.. But it's odd to look back at the kinds of players we used to have to the players we currently have. I might be the only who understands this, but we went from a team that had heart and soul guys like Whitney, Stillman, Brind'amour, Williams, Cullen, Wesley and Hedican to having guys like Tlusty, Pitkanen, Kaberle, Stewart and Poni. I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but I honestly do question the amount of heart and soul some of these players have. They just don't seem like Hurricanes players to me; they don't have that IT factor. Does that make any sense?

Not too long ago, I once heard Tripp Tracy say something like "Tuomo Ruutu is a North American skater." At the time I didn't truly understand that, but after some thought there does seem to be something to that statement.

What do you guys think?

Edited by jeromeo87