The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

North American skater means he plays a simple, physical game. As to the heart question I feel as fans it's hard to question a players heart. I just don't understand how you're calling those players out. You watch on tv and go to games. You aren't behind the scenes. But you did meet a player once though right? Is that the same as staying at a Holiday Inn Express?

I certainly not trying to call anyone out. Just by watching them play, it doesn't seem like they have the grit like the guys we used to have here. They don't seem to have that "whatever it takes" mentality. That's all I'm trying to say.

I don't know if it's "heart and soul" that these players are missing, but they are certainly missing something that those other players had that jerome is talking about.

Whitney, Stillman, Brind'amour, Williams, Cullen, Wesley and Hedican to having guys like Tlusty, Pitkanen, Kaberle, Stewart and Poni.

Why are you questioning heart here? Your comparing apples to oranges in terms of talent, the team on the left would whoop this teams butt even at their current ages. Only difference is the NHL's inability to make the salary cap useful.

Blake Comeau is on waivers.. He's having a Staal-like season (well.. even worse than Staal), so far, but he put up 24 goals last season. Right handed shot... We've been needing one of those. I think he has a cap hit of $2.5..

I would probably pass.

Edited by jeromeo87

I don't know if it's "heart and soul" that these players are missing, but they are certainly missing something that those other players had that jerome is talking about.

It could also be called the "refuse to lose" mentality. But one difference can also be seasoned veterans vs. younger players (except

Kabs) When you try to build a team with youth-----they may be more likely to panic, cave, fold etc. when adversity hits. The desire or heart may be there but the experience and patience is missing. Cole and Corvo were our oldest vets---and we lost them this year.

Nothing we didn't already know - from spector's hockey..

TSN.CA: Darren Dreger recently reported Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is trying to move defenseman Tomas Kaberle, as he’s looking for help at forward. The Islanders are shopping forward Blake Comeau and hope to get draft picks in return.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: At $4.25 million per season, Kaberle will be very difficult to move, which could perhaps take swapping bad contracts with another club, which probably won’t address the Hurricanes scoring issues. As for Comeau, it’s surprising how much his play has dropped off this season after years of steady improvement, leading me to wonder if the problem is head coach Jack Capuano. Perhaps a change of scenery might do him good.

I thought the 20 pound turkey my father made yesterday was big - saw a bigger one tonight wearing #51.

I'm tired of seeing this guy wearing a Canes' jersey.

Agree. If he not be traded for the two buckets of pucks JR is asking for time to reduce that to one bucket. More than likely he needs to be waived or bought out. That could free up some money for the mysterious first line forward we are hoping for.

I know JR said he didn't want to make a trade to just make a change but maybe its time.

I think you ether need to change the coach to see if this bunch can respond or you need to

move some players now.

Maybe both.

I know JR said he didn't want to make a trade to just make a change but maybe its time.

I think you ether need to change the coach to see if this bunch can respond or you need to

move some players now.

Maybe both.

As long as it doesn't hurt the future, JR should make every change he can think of. It's time for change for the sake of change. At least give the fans some hope and maybe they will come through the turnstiles.

As long as it doesn't hurt the future, JR should make every change he can think of. It's time for change for the sake of change. At least give the fans some hope and maybe they will come through the turnstiles.

Oh, your an optimist. At this point and time I would make a change for the sake of change. I wouldn't give away the farm but I would be willing to make a change just to change the clubhouse. I would worry about the future, "at a date to be determined later".

Where is PK on this issue? He seems not to care. Now that he has some minority owners and an already sold STH-base of about 10,000 it seems that he senses no urgency to make a change. The way the season is going the majority of people purchasing tickets for a particular game will be the fans of the opposing team.

While this does sell tickets and with STH chosing not to go to the games, it turns the RBC into a "home" game for the visiting team. For proof of my theory, look at the arena for the next Pens' game. I am getting tired of what we have for a team and am about to try and sell the remaing 10 tickets of my 12 game plan at a loss.

So here's a question. How do you let a division opponent, who embarrassed you a month ago, waltz into your building and slap you around? And we're not even talking a top tier team!

Dreadful.

Remember way back when, I think it was November 1st, when we all thought, "hey we survived a tough October; we have 10 out of 15 at home in November!"

What optimism we had. Mo is still here and should be gone. Period. He IS INCAPABLE OF ROUSING THIS TEAM. Kaberle must haunt JR at night. What a complete and utter waste of $4M. I'll suit up for a quarter of that and provide similar results... And I can barely skate. Mark my words: we will be unable trade him, and JR will need to buy him out.

If you want to know why we don't have another top forward, it's because JR spent that money on TKabs. This hole we're in might take a few years to dig out of.

This hole we're in might take a few years to dig out of.

Ease back off the ledge there, witchking. All it takes is a crowbar to PK's checkbook.

On second thought, is there room on the ledge for 2?

All it takes is a crowbar to PK's checkbook.

Questions that must be asked now that he has won the Stanley Cup: "does he want a franchise that makes the playoffs on a consistent basis? Or, is he content of having an NHL franchise as his personal playtoy?

Good call out by Luke. Coastal, I think you're dead on and Kaberle's contract is holding up changes being made. Its been well published that JR's been shopping Kaberle for weeks with very few bites and I bet JR is going to have to give up something big just to unload the contract. I'd hate to lose a good player or prospect just to be able to unload the contract but unfortunately at this point, losing someone is a better option than keeping Kaberle active. I hate it for him and he's a had a great career but he just doesn't have it anymore.

Watching Cam's body language after the second Jets goal went in said it all.

Figuring out how to deal with Kaberle's contract is step #1 to finding the train tracks.

Filling some major holes where skill is lacking in the roster including supplementing the leadership is the next step to getting the train back on the tracks.

Bring in a new coach for a fresh start with some new ideas after the two above suggestions have been accomplished would be the final step the get the train headed in the right direction.

I highly doubt a new coach would have any more success than Maurice has with the current line up as is imo.

Figuring out how to deal with Kaberle's contract is step #1 to finding the train tracks.

Filling some major holes where skill is lacking in the roster including supplementing the leadership is the next step to getting the train back on the tracks.

Bring in a new coach for a fresh start with some new ideas after the two above suggestions have been accomplished would be the final step the get the train headed in the right direction.

I highly doubt a new coach would have any more success than Maurice has with the current line up as is imo.

Sorry, but I'm not buying. The Canes have plenty of Cap space, so it is ownership that is holding up anything. Acquiring a player while you temporarily deal with the Kabs issue is not mutually exclusive if only for a short overlap, e.g. one month.

A coaching change would have an immediate impact because it would be the first step towards the future direction. It is clear Mo will never get the team there.

Sorry, but I'm not buying. The Canes have plenty of Cap space, so it is ownership that is holding up anything. Acquiring a player while you temporarily deal with the Kabs issue is not mutually exclusive if only for a short overlap, e.g. one month.

A coaching change would have an immediate impact because it would be the first step towards the future direction. It is clear Mo will never get the team there.

In a perfect world I'd agree about Kaberle's contract being a separate entity but its been made clear that they won't be spending any more money,especially with this team's playoff chances fading away further and further each week. If they intend on keeping the salary where it is, I doubt they're willing to take the risk and acquire a new player/salary before knowing when the old salary is coming off the books (one way or another). Only way I'd see that is if they bought out Kaberle's contract but with 2 1/2 years left on it, its still going to be a significant cap hit.

You could be right that replacing the coach could have an immediate effect but I think it would be more for the fans base. I'd rather see a brand new system implemented that will complement the type of players on the roster and based on the performance we've seen so far this season, there's only about 5-6 players on the current roster that I'd consider being in the long range plans for this franchise.

JR started the offseason pretty well:]

Murphy: Good

Joni back at hometown price: Good

Jussi back at hometown price: Good

Then it all went wrong:

Losing Cole: Very Bad (see losing Cullen from a distant post).

Replacing Cole: Poni, Stewart: Not good.

Inexplicably Corvo Bails: JR makes a knee jerk, but typical JR move, try to get an underperforming guy and get him turned around

Kaberle: Really Bad: hard to imagine him being worse.

The thing is that the other people's cast off thing is a risky move. They were cast off for a reason. JR might be smarter than those watching these guys day in and day out, but it is 50-50 at best. Fine if you're just filling in the edges, but JR used this to replace two key players: Cole and Corvo.

FURTHER note that he replaced two FAST guys with two SLOW guys. Further, people probably don't remember, but Cole also hit people.

Finally: keeping Mo. The only reason to keep Mo after last year's debacle was to be able to fire him if things got off badly. Well could they be much worse?

Every day that no moves are made, I care a little less.