The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

It seems like we are buried under the rubble of a failed season, but we are only 5 points out of 8th place. 3 wins and 3 losses by Washington is all it takes to replace them... and this isn't the same Washington team we've become familiar with in the last few years. After them there is Buffalo and NYR with 7 points over us. These teams aren't really pulling away from us at this point, they are very catchable. We just need a spark or a correction in the locker room and the prize is right there for the taking. If Staal gets himself straightened out and starts producing I firmly believe that Carolina will push someone out of the top 8 and remain there. It's amazing at how different this team is without our productive top line center and captain.

JR lost two key guys, and replaced them with three guys. I am not sure of the cost involved, but I would think it would have been cheaper to keep Cole and Corvo rather than sign three players( Poni,Stewart& Kaberle). Also, I am from Boston,so I watch the Bruinswhen the Canes are not on. When Kabs was signed, I said JR made a huge mistake. Sadly, I was right.

JR was awful this offseason. Let's look at what he did and what he should've done...

1. Sign Tomas Kaberle at 4.25 million a year

2. Sign poni at $1.5 million a year

3. Sign stewart at 1 million a year

Now let's add up the salaries from these three pointless players that have taken away spots from our young guys....you get 6.75 million.

With 6.75 million we could have easily signed a great first line winger or center like Brad Richards. Instead, we sign 2 3rd/4th liners and an awful defenseman. I don't get their thinking on this..We had cap space and we blew it...Now just waive Kaberle or buy him out...this was the worst spending of money I've ever seen from JR.

To folks saying we could have signed a first line player this summer, keep in mind that the player has to want to be here. Just because we have the money to do it doesn't mean that the player would accept it. If it all came down to money, Toronto and LA wouldn't be losing out on so many free agents.

While I wanted the 'Canes to pick up some top line talent just as much as anyone, I find it a bit misleading to just assume we could have done it if other players hadn't been signed.

It seems like we are buried under the rubble of a failed season, but we are only 5 points out of 8th place. 3 wins and 3 losses by Washington is all it takes to replace them...

Yeah, yeah, it only looks like 5 points, but it isn't that simple.

The games in hand are killing us. And it isn't a zero sum game against Washington. That's where losing to Montreal and Winnipeg REALLY kills us. We don't just need Washington to lose 5 in a row and us to win 3, we also need Tampa, Montreal, Winnipeg and Ottawa to lose more than win. (Yes, Washington has to lose 5 since they have 2 games in hand.)

Points will be given out to everyone. It isn't just Washington to worry about, it everyone. The rising tide raises all the ships. 3 point games against two of the teams ahead are particularly damaging.

So, it can start with Ottawa. We can deny them 2, and get 2 back today. Each opportunity that the team fails to do so is another nail.

JB, I appreciate your optimism, but the situation is dire. Very dire. Yes, it is doable. All is not lost yet, I give them a 1 in 5 chance to pull out on pure dumb statistical basis. But the trend of the way this team is playing adds to the pain and makes it worse. Oh, and the fact that JR is just standing on his <deleted> hands!

JR was awful this offseason. Let's look at what he did and what he should've done...

Now let's add up the salaries from these three pointless players that have taken away spots from our young guys....you get 6.75 million.

I'm with you on Kabs. Bad deal. Poni has been solid and worth $1.5 M. The jury is out on Stewart because Mo doesn't know what to do with him. The real issue with signing Dalpe, LaRose, Poni, and Stewart is that this was a year that we were supposed to see what guys like Boychuk and Dalpe could do. Signing those 4 guys pretty much makes sure that the young guys stay on the 4th line, in the press box, or in Charlotte.

I think JR over estimated his ability to pick diamonds in the rough. Those reclamation projects are great to fill in the edges, but they can't be counted on to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman. It's a plus when they do, but you can't depend on that happening.

We've got 2/3 of the season left to collect the points needed to get 8th place. It's like being behind after the first period. There is a LOT of ice time to get back on track.

With 6.75 million we could have easily signed a great first line winger or center like Brad Richards. Instead, we sign 2 3rd/4th liners and an awful defenseman. I don't get their thinking on this..We had cap space and we blew it...Now just waive Kaberle or buy him out...this was the worst spending of money I've ever seen from JR.

Exactly. I suggested this exact move. The 3rd line an other spots could have been filled with our yutes which are cheap.

Or just sign Cole. If you don't want him for 4 years, don't give him a NTC, and trade him if he doesn't deliver. At least we knew he could deliver.

We've got 2/3 of the season left to collect the points needed to get 8th place. It's like being behind after the first period. There is a LOT of ice time to get back on track.

Yes, there's a lot of hockey left to be played. No one is saying it's impossible for the Canes to get back in this. However, we're not in 9th place, 5 points out of 8th. We're in 14th place. That means that even if we go on a winning streak, we need the 5 other teams in front of us to go on their own losing streaks. It's one thing to have to climb over one or two teams to reach 8th. It's a completely different one to have to climb over almost half the conference.

Furthermore, without a coaching change or a change of personnel, what you get is what you've seen. The team, as constructed, is not capable of winning the necessary number of games to make a playoff push. Period.

At this point are we better off losing? I mean, at best we're probably not going to get much from a trade unless we trade someone we shouldn't be trading. And the last time we stunk this bad we got staal. I hate to see this team lose but instead of putting bandaids on gun wounds we could get a top pick and move forward in the offseason. There will be a lot of good free agents next year.

At this point are we better off losing? I mean, at best we're probably not going to get much from a trade unless we trade someone we shouldn't be trading. And the last time we stunk this bad we got staal. I hate to see this team lose but instead of putting bandaids on gun wounds we could get a top pick and move forward in the offseason. There will be a lot of good free agents next year.

No, the last time we stunk this bad we got Skinner. It wasn't that long ago. 2 out of 3 years of Mo.

Just sayin'

Edited by super_dave_1

No, the last time we stunk this bad we got Skinner. It wasn't that long ago. 2 out of 3 years of Mo.

Just sayin'

I'd say the year we selected Staal was about as rock bottom as it gets for this franchise when the Canes came in dead last in the league with 61 points. When Skinner was selected at #7, there were about 6 teams worse than the Canes and we weren't even considered for the top 3 lottery.

Not sure which of these types of seasons we're heading toward but the year we picked Skinner wasn't nearly as bad as '03. I can't imagine that any fan that was following the Canes back then would disagree. It was nicknamed "the year we don't speak of" for a reason.

Yes, there's a lot of hockey left to be played. No one is saying it's impossible for the Canes to get back in this. However, we're not in 9th place, 5 points out of 8th. We're in 14th place. That means that even if we go on a winning streak, we need the 5 other teams in front of us to go on their own losing streaks. It's one thing to have to climb over one or two teams to reach 8th. It's a completely different one to have to climb over almost half the conference.

Furthermore, without a coaching change or a change of personnel, what you get is what you've seen. The team, as constructed, is not capable of winning the necessary number of games to make a playoff push. Period.

We just need a spark or a correction in the locker room and the prize is right there for the taking. If Staal gets himself straightened out and starts producing I firmly believe that Carolina will push someone out of the top 8 and remain there. It's amazing at how different this team is without our productive top line center and captain.

Yes we need something changed, I said that before. Now if Staal had his point per game scoring habit for the first 25 games we would be in a totally different position in the standings. He corrects that and we are scoring more and losing less points in one-goal games. If JR makes a trade that changes the team for the better, we are also sitting in a better place. And I think we all agree that Coach Maurice has lost control of the team - even he admitted it when he said he was saying the same things during every intermission and practice. Replace him and the team is in a better place. The point is at this point, rock bottom isn't too far from the bottom rung of the ladder. Picking up 5, 7, even 9 points in 52-57 games on seven teams is not impossible. We don't need to win several games in a row to leap over other teams in the conference, we just need to have a better winning percentage than a handful that are ahead of us. There are 52-57 games for us to do this.

We all remember going through a 14 game winless streak a few years ago, and the Canes still missed the playoffs by what, 2 points? Well we haven't had a streak like that yet.

Everyone is so gloom and doom. I hate losing, too, it ruins my day. But come on, it's way too early to start jumping on the tank the season crap.

Truth is, JR waited too long and did nothing. To make major changes via trade would be a mistake at this point, because you could lose a lot just to get the trade and gain little in return. Also, it seems to me like no one on our roster that is expendable anyone else wants. I think we should've fired Maurice after the Montreal game. Seeing how the team responded from that point on would've told us if a trade was necessary or if the coaching was the real problem. Now, it's too late. If anything we get a fluke streak going and sit close to the playoffs and THEN JR pulls the trigger on a trade. But honestly the way this season is going and the way we are playing, I have no hope in us making the playoffs. We waited too long, and now it's smarter to accept the losses and hope whoever we draft this summer is another Skinner.

The only reason we aren't last in the Conference is because the Islanders have played 4 less games than us. We have the most losses in the Eastern Conference.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'd say the year we selected Staal was about as rock bottom as it gets for this franchise when the Canes came in dead last in the league with 61 points. When Skinner was selected at #7, there were about 6 teams worse than the Canes and we weren't even considered for the top 3 lottery.

Not sure which of these types of seasons we're heading toward but the year we picked Skinner wasn't nearly as bad as '03. I can't imagine that any fan that was following the Canes back then would disagree. It was nicknamed "the year we don't speak of" for a reason.

Other than just disagreeing with me, do you remember the 14 game losing streak that the Canes had year before last? That team was also dead last in the league at this point in the season.

Yes, I was following the team in 2003.

Edited by super_dave_1

I find the Kaberle scratch interesting. I don't see why a team would scratch a player they are trying to trade.. Maybe JR has something in the works?

Or maybe he thought they had a better chance of winning with him out of the line up?

I find the Kaberle scratch interesting. I don't see why a team would scratch a player they are trying to trade.. Maybe JR has something in the works?

Oh no! What will they do with the bobbleheads?

(I got stop my sarcasm. JR, DO SOMETHING!)

Maybe Kaberle sucks so bad, and the whole league agrees, and JR has no choice but look like more of a behind if he plays him?

Edit: :)

Edited by coastal_caniac

Oh no! What will they do with the bobbleheads?

(I got stop my sarcasm. JR, DO SOMETHING!)

Ok, this made me laugh. What will they do with the bobbleheads? Maybe they won't show up like the Skinner ones, that would work.

Edited by TSA

I posted weeks ago Kaberle could never be traded, because he has a bobble head clause in his contract.

Edit: Great minds think alike

Ha ha, I needed a laugh.

But this team is so wacky right now, I wouldn't be surprised if bobbleheads are part of a trade decision.