The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Amen :woohoo:

This board needed a change as much as the team needed it.

I'm excited about an aggressive style of player. We have some big guys on this team that can really throw their body around if coached properly.

I've posted my thoughts elsewhere, but let me just say here, that this came late, but just in the nick of time. The last couple of games were the first time in a long time that I actually didn't want to go to or watch a Cane's game. It had gotten so bad that I was rethinking games I have tickets for.

Some of the blood just started flowing back to my Cane's center, just before it died.

JR, don't wait this long next time.

Now go get that winger.

Edited by remkin

There are a couple rumors I ran across:

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com

"The Hurricanes aren’t thrilled with Tomas Kaberle and have checked around to see if there is any interest."

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/

"The Columbus Blue Jackets clearly need help on the back end and there’s talk of a deal sending Antoine Vermette to the Carolina Hurricanes for Bryan Allen. Meanwhile, centre Derick Brassard, the Jackets’ first pick in the 2006 draft, is a healthy scratch. He is definitely available, but at $3.3 million this year and $3.7 million next season, he’s too expensive. He should be taking over games at 24, but doesn’t have enough competitive fire. Has any team swung and missed more with their first-rounders — Nikita Filatov, Gilbert Brule, Nikolai Zherdev, Pascal Leclaire, Brassard — all going in the top eight? If you’re wondering how bad the Jackets are, they’ve won six of their last 40 games."

Edited by hopper915

I have a sneaking suspicion that if a deal could have been made it would have already. I wonder if JR will give Muller a chance to see what he can do with the current roster before making the next big move? The immediate response after a coaching change is usually a positive one but the roster issues will still be there when the adrenaline settle down.

We better not trade Allen away, he's been one of the bright spots in a relatively dark season.

I feel the same way but unless JR finds a taker for Kaberle, he's probably in danger of being traded due to his salary.

On Vermette for Allen, I think we have to take the long view now.

Vermette is signed for a while and nicely fills a BIG need.

Allen would definitely be missed, but might be the type of guy we can find on the market offseason. Heck, might even be able to sign him back in the offseason.

We have so many promising young dmen, but our nonSkinner forward prospects have not yet flourished.

We need the help up front, even if a Dalpe comes around. Don't forget Ruutu is only signed for this year.

Allen is also only signed for a year and it getting pretty big bucks. I like Allen. He'll get in front of a train, but...

Vermette for Allen? Long term...absolutely, pull that trigger.

Edited by remkin

It looks like we are still in the market for a winger

ice_chip Chip Alexander Rutherford said Canes are looking to trade for a forward, saying ideally it would be in exchange for a defenseman.

Chip Tweets..

ice_chipChip Alexanderb - Hurricanes will retain the assistant coaches, Rutherford said, Maurice will leave the organization, so he is not being reassigned.

ice_chipChip Alexander - Muller's contract will pay him for the remainder of this season and three more seasons, Rutherford said.

ice_chipChip Alexander - Rutherford said Canes are looking to trade for a forward, saying ideally it would be in exchange for a defenseman.

I promise. I'm not crazy. But what about...

What about trading Tim Gleason for a winger? I think JR is stuck for now with TKabs.

#6 still has value, but has under performed this year.

Is this travesty? Crazy?

Yeah, I know, who provides D leadership? Is it all on Pits? Would this wake up TKabs?

I dunno, I think there's something in my water.

I'm not pumping up Vermette's tires up too much. Yeah, he made a nifty between the legs pass. But, if you ask me, the last thing the Canes need to do now is take on another 3 year contract for a chance at a guy who might get back to what he was 2 years ago.

If anything, it's a short-term fix for offense that would come at the expense of trading away Allen's defense, which we are woefully short on. And Allen aint that good.

Edited by coastal_caniac

With 3 games this week I wouldn't trade anyone, except maybe Kabs, until Muller gets to see lots of film, practice habits and game action.

As for that winger, he better be able to play with anyone on this team and not only Staal. The latter would be high risk for the organization since Staal apparently doesn't fit with anyone on this team other than Jussi. He (or Mo) seemed to prefer Rosie, but that's not the answer.

IMO if you can't play with Skinner, who showed more determination and fight than the entire team vs Ottawa, then you need to look in the mirror.

Great news today. I hope that's the last we see of Mo as a Canes head coach.

As for trades, you have to seriously consider the following.

1. Kaberle for anyone or anything. A draft pick, a bag of pucks, or even a single dollar. I seriously believe he's here either for the duration or until a contending team loses a dman for the season due to injury.

2. Allen. He's been great, which means his value is up. I'd give Muller this week to get a feel for this team, who wants to play for him vs. who doesn't, then see if there's a deal for a top 6 here.

3. Gleason. I think his stock has fallen a little bit. Obviously if we move Allen it means we think we will keep Gleason, and vice versa. One thing JR does not want to do is trade one of these two guys and then not be able to sign the other in the offseason.

November 29, 2011 Day 1 PM (Post Mo)

GO CANES!!!

Great news today. I hope that's the last we see of Mo as a Canes head coach.

As for trades, you have to seriously consider the following.

1. Kaberle for anyone or anything. A draft pick, a bag of pucks, or even a single dollar. I seriously believe he's here either for the duration or until a contending team loses a dman for the season due to injury. Put him on Waivers!

2. Allen. He's been great, which means his value is up. I'd give Muller this week to get a feel for this team, who wants to play for him vs. who doesn't, then see if there's a deal for a top 6 here. I would keep him, as we need his physicality!

3. Gleason. I think his stock has fallen a little bit. Obviously if we move Allen it means we think we will keep Gleason, and vice versa. One thing JR does not want to do is trade one of these two guys and then not be able to sign the other in the offseason.

Needs to regain his physical presence and not be afraid to hit anyone!

November 29, 2011 Day 1 PM (Post Mo)

GO CANES!!!

The Ducks might be shopping Bobby Ryan. I think Visnovsky is on the shelf at the moment and they could be looking to shake things up.

IF this is true, THIS is the winger JR needs to go after.

There is no way the Canes could come up with any sort of reasonable package to acquire Bobby Ryan. We would have to give them Gleason, Ruutu, Dalpe and a 1st rounder just to get things started.

Twitter..

mikemaniscalco - One thing evident by the morning skate for the Canes. The new coach is gonna work on this team's passing abilities. (Which needs it)

Thanks God.. one of my biggest complaints about this team for years: sloppy passing.

AGREED! They have been really frustrating enough. Everything 12" too far in front or behind and thus our transition has been slooooooooooooow.

Anyone else have other names they think might be possibilities for the top6/9 forward?

Twitter..

mikemaniscalco - One thing evident by the morning skate for the Canes. The new coach is gonna work on this team's passing abilities. (Which needs it)

Thanks God.. one of my biggest complaints about this team for years: sloppy passing.

From Eklund, but yeah...

That brings us to Bobby Ryan...If there is a player who could possibly be moved it would be Bobby Ryan...I am not hearing anything imminent, but I am hearing several teams inquiring including Carolina, the Islanders, Ottawa, Montreal and St. Louis.

We have a lot of UFAs this season, it may make sense to move them to acquire someone like Ryan who is under contract for years to come. Plus, we NEED a guy like Ryan.

TSNBobMcKenzieBob McKenzie - CAR claims Andreas Nodl on waivers from PHI.

Didn't see that coming..