The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Some (cough, cough) were willing to give a guy like Patrick O'Sullivan a chance on the first line but now pitch a fit and demand a trade when our own home grown talent is given a chance in the top-6.

That's funny right there.

I'm excited we have Dalpe on first line with Staal and Poni. I think he is the real deal. If it doesn't work out it isn't like we can't move to second or third line. But I have high expectations Dalpe is going to fit in on Staal's line.

The second line of Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen are a proven line. There is no reason to think they won't work again this season.

The Sutter and Brent line look ok too.

It not like we don't have options in Charlotte if we need to call someone up.

I do agree the defense is still a work in progress. But there is a lot of talent there. I think I will wait and see what the final pairings look like before making a judgement.

As for a trade, IMO it isn't what we lack as much as what we have that will drive a trade. I expect we will see some trade(s) early in the season. We have lots of talent that has just been evaluated that should be attractive to other teams and I suppose one of our roster players could go too. Until the season starts we need IMO to be optimistic.

So we have home grown talent on the wing on the top line (for now) and people still aren't happy. Geez.

Homegrown and proven would be better. :-)

I would love Dalpe to be that 1st line winger we've all been clamoring for.

Some (cough, cough) were willing to give a guy like Patrick O'Sullivan a chance on the first line but now pitch a fit and demand a trade when our own home grown talent is given a chance in the top-6.

That's funny right there.

It's been a while since you took a shot at me. Yes, O'Sullivan did not work out, sue me. He had the skills but other issues prevailed. But he had far more proven NHL scoring than Dalpe does.

You have no problem with a first line winger with 3, count'em 3 NHL goals? No humor in that right there? Going into the season with a completely unproven guy in the top slot to go with another guy coming off a bad year? No humor in that at all? Seems kind of laughable to me.

I like Dalpe. But first line? I'd like to see a bit more before jumping on that bandwagon. Maybe he's the next skinner. If so, that would be incredible. Still might have too many dmen though.

My point really is that I am liking Faulk, which I mentioned before the news that he was sticking around and could make the team. If Faulk can make the team then there are several expendable pieces that could make a trade possible.

If we picked up another top 6 forward, room could still be made for the golden boy, and the team would be that much better immediately.

Edited by remkin

I always thought Dalpe would be that 2nd or 3rd line center that we were missing, & not a 1st line wing...But on wing with less D responsibility then I could see him work his way up to a 1st line wing.

I'll be shocked if he starts out on the 1st line. That is a lot of pressure for a rookie...they didn't even do that to skinner as he played most of the year on the 2nd line.

Edited by rocheccw

It's been a while since you took a shot at me. Yes, O'Sullivan did not work out, sue me. He had the skills but other issues prevailed. But he had far more proven NHL scoring than Dalpe does.

You have no problem with a first line winger with 3, count'em 3 NHL goals? No humor in that right there? Going into the season with a completely unproven guy in the top slot to go with another guy coming off a bad year? No humor in that at all? Seems kind of laughable to me.

I like Dalpe. But first line? I'd like to see a bit more before jumping on that bandwagon. Maybe he's the next skinner. If so, that would be incredible. Still might have too many dmen though.

My point really is that I am liking Faulk, which I mentioned before the news that he was sticking around and could make the team. If Faulk can make the team then there are several expendable pieces that could make a trade possible.

If we picked up another top 6 forward, room could still be made for the golden boy, and the team would be that much better immediately.

It was intended more as a friendly jab, particularly since you have been the top-line winger guy for a few seasons. Since I forgot last time I'll add my smiley face thingy here. :) Maybe he is the golden boy, as you put it, in the minds of the organization, I don't know. I just thought you would be happy that at least we have somebody coming out of our own organization to potentially fill that spot you have craved for such a long time.

BTW, O'Sullivan is the second leading scorer for Phoenix right now. :o

Since I got this Dalpe thing all juiced up, I'll put this out their for thoughts. What is the big difference between:

Poni - Staal - Jokinen

Skinner - Ruutu - Dalpe

and

Poni - Staal - Dalpe

Skinner - Ruutu - Jokinen

Skinner - Ruutu - Jokinen has worked before, so I don't have a big problem trying Dalpe on the first line. I kind of think that's what the coaching staff is thinking. If it doesn't work he can play beside Ruutu on the second line. But to put a guy with that much skill on a checking (third or fourth) line just doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I'm too much of a skeptic to think we would actually go out and spend 4 million dollars on a proven first line winger. I know it's a real concern to put Dalpe on the top line, but I still think this team is a couple of years away from being really in the mix. So why not? Still think he will surprise us though. I like physical, skill, and speed, and IMO the combinations with Dalpe on the first line balances out the top-6 a little better.

Edit: And this just in from Micheal Smith on the game day blog. The coaching staff likes reuniting Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen based upon the chemistry they have had in the past. Sounds like this probably explains Dalpe's move to the top line more than anything else. If Dalpe doesn't work out feel free to blame me. :bag:

Finns and Skinner Reunited

Edited by coastal_caniac

POS always showed up in preseason...and then poof he disappeared into thin air once the real games started. :missing:

Who knows maybe the fifth team is the charm... :spin:

I like the prospects of Dalpe on the first line (who may or may not be a first liner) better than the prospects last year with LaRose on the top line (who is definitely NOT first line material).

I like the prospects of Dalpe on the first line (who may or may not be a first liner) better than the prospects last year with LaRose on the top line (who is definitely NOT first line material).

Some would argue LaRose isn't even a 3rd liner.

He isn't. We are giving Stewart the shaft by putting him ont he 4th line. The guy has way more going for him than LaRose and he has size. I'm disappointed if we do not utilize Stewart.

It's interesting how hustle and results work. For instance, LaRose looks like he's giving about 110% all the time. He doesn't back down from anyone or anything. But he has to play that hard just to be on an NHL roster. There's not a lot of natural, God-given ability there. Just Chad hustlin'.

Now Staal gets the reputation as being a guy who hustles rarely but has the natural skill to show results.

How awesome would it be if we could get LaRose's hustle tied with Staal's natural talent? Oh, ya, Skinner. :-)

Of course, we've seen enough of the no hustle, no talent types here too.

How many of Dalpe's goals have been scored while playing with talented scorers on something other than a 4th line?

I think he's going to shut up a lot of skeptics once they see him play with talent. He was the best player in camp. The kid scored goals almost at will in scrimmages.

I think Stewart has found himself in a spot that's fairly equivalent to his showing in training camp. It's up to him to play his way up.

If Stewart had mono, he won't have the stamina for a while to log 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line minutes. That saps you for a while.

If Stewart had mono, he won't have the stamina for a while to log 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line minutes. That saps you for a while.

I think you have mistaken Stewart for Joslin.

Edited by jfive

At least your diagnosis was correct, Dr. House. Mono most certainly slaps you down. Joslin has played like he's not all with it. I think somebody posted about a potential conditioning stint for him in Charlotte. I think it's a good bet that could happen.

Not only that but Mono even if you get over it can zap your energy for almost a year afterwards. At least that's how a friend who had it described it.

It was intended more as a friendly jab, particularly since you have been the top-line winger guy for a few seasons. Since I forgot last time I'll add my smiley face thingy here. :) Maybe he is the golden boy, as you put it, in the minds of the organization, I don't know. I just thought you would be happy that at least we have somebody coming out of our own organization to potentially fill that spot you have craved for such a long time.

I guess it seemed a little mocking. But then again, my skin may be a little thin right now.

I would love nothing more than to see our prospect picks from a few years ago show up. My bold prediction about Boychuk was partly wishful thinking that he and Bowman in particular would finally arrive.

I really do like Dalpe. I see a lot of speed and potential, and he scored a lot in the AHL. I'll defer to those of you who have watched more preseason than me this year, and hope that he is the second coming of Skinner. But....

I just think first line is a lot of pressure. Also, with Poni and Staal, they should really be looking at a playmaking type to make that line go.

On another plane the idea that our plan for Staal's first line wingers are 1. a guy with a max 20 goal potential who had a terrible recent history 2. A kid who has 3 NHL goals. It just seems more nakedly obvious that our first line is going to be where all the question marks are. If both Dalpe and Poni come through, fine. If not that second line better be off the hook, and Staal better be ok with a big point drop off.

Personally I like the idea of Dalpe on the second line and slide Jussi up. Somehow dilutes the question marks and puts a touch less pressure on Dalpe. But I did see the beginnings of some chemistry between Jussi and Skinner last night.

I guess it seemed a little mocking. But then again, my skin may be a little thin right now.

I would love nothing more than to see our prospect picks from a few years ago show up. My bold prediction about Boychuk was partly wishful thinking that he and Bowman in particular would finally arrive.

I really do like Dalpe. I see a lot of speed and potential, and he scored a lot in the AHL. I'll defer to those of you who have watched more preseason than me this year, and hope that he is the second coming of Skinner. But....

I just think first line is a lot of pressure. Also, with Poni and Staal, they should really be looking at a playmaking type to make that line go.

On another plane the idea that our plan for Staal's first line wingers are 1. a guy with a max 20 goal potential who had a terrible recent history 2. A kid who has 3 NHL goals. It just seems more nakedly obvious that our first line is going to be where all the question marks are. If both Dalpe and Poni come through, fine. If not that second line better be off the hook, and Staal better be ok with a big point drop off.

Personally I like the idea of Dalpe on the second line and slide Jussi up. Somehow dilutes the question marks and puts a touch less pressure on Dalpe. But I did see the beginnings of some chemistry between Jussi and Skinner last night.

My bad, I got a little too carried away in my "friendly jabbing". :) I thought the Skinner, Ruutu, Jokinen line worked well last year, and they looked pretty good last night, although Ruutu looked at sub-100%. But like you said, if it takes time for that first line to gel, that second line better be going from the get go. From what I have seen of Dalpe he can take the pressure.

At least Mo looks to be rolling four lines, and after checking the boxscore last night, icetime was much more distributed than what we saw last year. Hopefully, that will take some pressure off all the lines.

Lastly, I'm with you on Faulk, he just looks to be seamless in his transition to NHL ice. That kid could make the club, no doubt, and from there ya never know.

ruutu still has been nursing a injury.. i wouldnt give him too many minutes till hes 100 percent.. So, maybe i missed it, are 9 dmen going to make this team to start? Like to see a good quality win on road, to finish preseason..