The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Maybe so bluedevil but it sure looks like the precursor to a trade.As for Ryan, it would be great but not sure we will pull the trigger on that trade.

Maybe so bluedevil but it sure looks like the precursor to a trade.As for Ryan, it would be great but not sure we will pull the trigger on that trade.

I see a Jokinen and first rounder for Ryan if we are going to play this game.

Like I said, I don't know if we will pull the trigger on that trade. if we did your guess is as good as mine.

I think we are close to a trade though.

Anyone remember who Staal played with during the Olympics? What about the World Championships as well? I seem to remember Getzlaf, Perry, Nash, and Crosby from the Olympics. I might be off on a few of those though. I'm just trying to brainstorm/throw a few ideas out there for possible trade targets. Of course I know a few of those players are not realistic but I imagine JR could be looking for someone with familiarity to speed up the chemistry process to get Staal going again.

That's a wash of a trade, which I am sure is your point.

How about Kaberle for Crosby, straight up?

:rolleyes:

Edited by jb_online

That's a wash of a trade, which I am sure is your point.

How about Kaberle for Crosby, straight up?

:rolleyes:

How is it a wash? The Ducks want a play maker and we want a sniper. Don't sit there and honestly tell em you think Kaberle will fetch us something? It's going to take a key player to bring in Ryan.

How is it a wash? The Ducks want a play maker and we want a sniper. Don't sit there and honestly tell em you think Kaberle will fetch us something? It's going to take a key player to bring in Ryan.

The Kaberle thing was a joke.

Trading Jokinen for Ryan is basically trading a top 6 player for a top 6 player - there is no advantage there only a change of scenery for the players. Losing the first round pick is basically giving them the icing on the cake. We need to unload a defenseman since we have more than we need, as well as cut some salary in the process since we are taking more in (if the trade were to happen). Think about it, Faulk is ready for the NHL, he's already playing here. Now that Pitkanen is back we have too many, we put Kabs in the press box because of it. Since Allen is at the end of his contract, and we'd probably lose him to Free Agency anyway, we need to include him into the trade. I hate that because I really like Allen, but when it comes to these decisions we have to use our head and not our heart. That's what makes JR a great GM and in some cases it's his weakness (bringing back Aaron Ward for example). We need to get better in the top 6 forward positions, so we need to keep what we have and add to it. We can't do that by trading away one of them.

If you don't call Ruutu a sniper, then this team has absolutely no snipers at all. He easily has the quickest release and can pick a corner with ease. When he was playing with Jokinen and Skinner, our offense was on fire (well, as on fire as our offense can get). Skinner draws the D, Jokinen makes the plays, Ruutu hits the net.

Edited by Justin8649

Trading Jokinen for Ryan is basically trading a top 6 player for a top 6 player - there is no advantage there only a change of scenery for the players. Losing the first round pick is basically giving them the icing on the cake. We need to unload a defenseman since we have more than we need, as well as cut some salary in the process since we are taking more in (if the trade were to happen). Think about it, Faulk is ready for the NHL, he's already playing here. Now that Pitkanen is back we have too many, we put Kabs in the press box because of it. Since Allen is at the end of his contract, and we'd probably lose him to Free Agency anyway, we need to include him into the trade. I hate that because I really like Allen, but when it comes to these decisions we have to use our head and not our heart. That's what makes JR a great GM and in some cases it's his weakness (bringing back Aaron Ward for example). We need to get better in the top 6 forward positions, so we need to keep what we have and add to it. We can't do that by trading away one of them.

JB you are being unrealistic here and expecting to get Ryan while just giving up salary is not going to happen. The Ducks clearly stated that they want a play maker. Not a defensemen. You will need to trade away a good player in order to get a good player.

You consider trading Jokinen for Ryan as a top 6 player for a top 6 player? Seriously? The talent level between the two is enormous.

Speed: Advantage Ryan

Physicality: Advantage Ryan

Dangling: Draw

Shooting: Advantage Ryan

Potential: Advantage Ryan

If the Ducks went to JR and offered Ryan for Jokinen and JR's reply was "Sorry, that's a wash, I don't want to trade a top 6 player for a top 6 player" then I hope Karmanos removes him from the building immediately.

Anyway, the odds of the Hurricanes trading for Iginla or Ryan are basically nil. We don't have the budget and giving up a high pick in this year's draft is out of the question. That leaves the Canes with very few pieces to move. The Ducks are basically eliminated from the playoffs as well. They are also in a bit of a budget issue, so they can't just take on huge salaries like Bryan Allen.

Why did we pick up Nodl? Because he is better than Brett Sutter.

Edited by Justin8649

Jokinen has been in our top six since... always. Since you are the expert on Ryan and the Ducks fill me in on some info, please. Does Ryan kill penalties, play on the power play, win face-offs, and have a high percentage of scoring in the shoot-out? If so, then yes it's a wash, because that is what Jokinen has to offer. If he doesn't, then I guess it's fairly obvious who is the more productive player for his money.

It would be great for JR to get something for nothing, like he has before, but I don't see it happening unless the Ducks really want to unload Ryan. If they are in money trouble then it is in their best interest to get him off the books. So, that may be their priority. I don't know their situation as well as you claim to, so I have no clue what their motivation for putting him on the block is.

Fact remains, we few things to offer: a defenseman, prospects or draft picks in that order. If JR decides to trade a top 9 forward I doubt it would be one as versatile as Jokinen. If anyone it would be Ruutu, considering his contract situation.

Jokinen has been in our top six since... always. Since you are the expert on Ryan and the Ducks fill me in on some info, please. Does Ryan kill penalties, play on the power play, win face-offs, and have a high percentage of scoring in the shoot-out? If so, then yes it's a wash, because that is what Jokinen has to offer. If he doesn't, then I guess it's fairly obvious who is the more productive player for his money.

It would be great for JR to get something for nothing, like he has before, but I don't see it happening unless the Ducks really want to unload Ryan. If they are in money trouble then it is in their best interest to get him off the books. So, that may be their priority. I don't know their situation as well as you claim to, so I have no clue what their motivation for putting him on the block is.

Fact remains, we few things to offer: a defenseman, prospects or draft picks in that order. If JR decides to trade a top 9 forward I doubt it would be one as versatile as Jokinen. If anyone it would be Ruutu, considering his contract situation.

yes but Rutuu's value is very low right now and would not bring us in anything worth of consideration. if they are in financial trouble then that is another story all together. I don't know the situation with all the contacts on the Ducks and what not.

Edited by bluedevil58

Interestingly, despite Ruutu seeming off to me, he is on a 24 goal pace despite our team stinking out loud.

Also interestingly as of right now Ruutu has as many goals and one more point than Bobby Ryan.

When I first saw this talk of Bobby Ryan I thought, "ya right, just like we were seriously going to get Hemsky or Richards, or Gaborik a few years ago, or Rick Nash etc...."

But he is struggling this year, and he is 24 and is signed for three years, and $5.56 million, while not cheap isn't Staal money. Basically Kaberle and LaRose together money. The guy is not a playmaker, but he sure can score.

He's put up 30+ goals three years in a row. He's been a solid plus player. He could be a key piece for years to come.

The problem, other than salary, is how do you get him? I'd trade Jussi for him, but Jussi plus a pick?....plus Jussi took the hometown discount and is part of Joni and ultimately maybe Ruutu staying. Plus Jussi is a bigger bargain.

However, what about McBain and Boychuk and a pick. Then trade Kabs for a bag of pucks to move the salary.

I don't know, may not be enough. Ryan would be a great pick up, but not a JR move.

One can hope, but there is a list of top talents that we were thinking we were trying to get and didn't. In the end he'll probably be added to that list.

The problem with our prospects is that have proved they cannot do anything at the NHL level as of yet which is somewhat of a problem when using them as value for a trade...

No offense, but you could you maybe point out where they proved they couldn't do anything at the NHL level yet? By not tearing up the score sheet in their 2-4min/gm auditions? They were given very little time to prove they have what it takes to play at this level. I believe a lot of this falls back on the previous coach knowing the noose was going to tighten and he was trying to go with what he knew instead of trying what might have been.

From Spectors about the potential Bobby Ryan sweepstakes:

http://spectorshocke...vember-30-2011/

Interestingly enough, Pierre LeBrun didn't mention the Canes anywhere in his reasoning as to why it wouldn't make sense for most teams. The Canes have the cap space, they have some very good prospects to deal and are desperately in need of a scoring winger. Makes perfect sense to me. :grin:

SPECTOR’S NOTE: LeBrun is the voice of reason here. I don’t doubt the Ducks are getting offers for Ryan, along with probably Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, but I don’t see those two going anywhere. GM Murray will listen, but he’s also not going to do a trade just for the sake of it. He’ll want a strong return which can help his team now and in the future. I’ll have more on this later today in my Hockey News column, but I will say I don’t think the Leafs or Rangers have any real need at this time to make a blockbuster move, as both clubs are currently playing well, and a major move could adversely affect team chemistry. The Flyers are in the market for defense, not another scoring winger. The Panthers may have lots of cap space, but they’re not spending it because they’re on a tight budget. The Flames and Devils don’t have much, in my opinion, to offer up for Ryan. The Bruins have no reason to make a trade as they’ve rebounded strongly from their slow start. Even if they were, I doubt very much Murray would be interested in Horton or Krejci.

MSmithCanes Michael Smith @ For what it's worth, the Ducks didn't have anyone scouting in Raleigh tonight.9 hours ago

Ducks Ryan knows he might be the one to go - OCR

We desperately need someone who knows how to take the puck and put it past the goalie and into the net.

We desperately need someone to play with Staal who is at least a legit first liner.

Given that this season is fast slipping away, we need someone who can also be part of the future.

We need speed. We need a guy who will back-check.

We can't bring in anyone making the same or more than Staal (my opinion).

We need a big move. JR small ball needs a one time reprieve. You don't get a legit first line forward with small ball.

Still given our budget and JR's ways, it will probably have to be a guy with lots of credentials but whom is struggling a bit on a team that is struggling.

Bobby Ryan checks off every one of those.

The guy was #21 in the league in points last year with 31 goals, and a plus 15.

He has put up 30+ three straight years.

He is struggling a bit on a sinking team.

He was the #2 overall pick, right after some guy named Crosby. That's right, were it not for one Sid Crosby, he would have

been #1 overall.

If I'm correct he is signed for this year and two more in the mid $5 mill/year.

He's 24 years old. He could actually get better.

Bobby Ryan, Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Cam Ward.

I know Staal is struggling, but to make a playoff run it is said you need 4 All Star caliber players and a bunch of great support players.

Bobby Ryan gives us that instantly. Will this team make the playoffs this year with Ryan? Well we've dug a big hole, but to have a chance we need this kind of move. The coaching change will not be enough to go on that kind of run. BUT he's signed for 2 more years after that. Think of what a team we could put together moving forward.

The media doesn't seem to have us in the mix and I don't know what we have that they'd want, but short of the All Star's listed above, who wouldn't you trade to get him? I'd trade just about anyone not listed in that list above. Neigh make that ANYONE not listed.

That's how thin our talent is at that level.

The really question is what do we have that they'd want that's not on that list of 3?

Of all the moves we have teased about: Hemsky, Richards, Vermette, Nash, Gaborik....Ryan makes the most sense.

Of course JR never lands this kind of guy, so I dream, but oh just to do it this once!

Edited by remkin