The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

From Spectors about the potential Bobby Ryan sweepstakes:

http://spectorshocke...vember-30-2011/

Interestingly enough, Pierre LeBrun didn't mention the Canes anywhere in his reasoning as to why it wouldn't make sense for most teams. The Canes have the cap space, they have some very good prospects to deal and are desperately in need of a scoring winger. Makes perfect sense to me. :grin:

SPECTOR’S NOTE: LeBrun is the voice of reason here. I don’t doubt the Ducks are getting offers for Ryan, along with probably Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, but I don’t see those two going anywhere. GM Murray will listen, but he’s also not going to do a trade just for the sake of it. He’ll want a strong return which can help his team now and in the future. I’ll have more on this later today in my Hockey News column, but I will say I don’t think the Leafs or Rangers have any real need at this time to make a blockbuster move, as both clubs are currently playing well, and a major move could adversely affect team chemistry. The Flyers are in the market for defense, not another scoring winger. The Panthers may have lots of cap space, but they’re not spending it because they’re on a tight budget. The Flames and Devils don’t have much, in my opinion, to offer up for Ryan. The Bruins have no reason to make a trade as they’ve rebounded strongly from their slow start. Even if they were, I doubt very much Murray would be interested in Horton or Krejci.

Ducks Ryan knows he might be the one to go - OCR

Exactly - it just makes too much sense for him to land here. I really do feel like we have the pieces to make the trade happen. It might mean giving up someone we really don't want to, but it would be a move for the future of the franchise. How long is Ryan under contract? We, of course, would have to rid ourselves of the Kaberle contract.

We have a lot of UFAs on this team who may not resign here; we might as well use them to get a true talent on this team. Yeah, $5 mil is a lot of money, but not THAT much - not Staal money. Just friggin' make it happen, JR!

Although, I will add, Ducks' GM and scouts were at the Sabres game last night.. Ugh..

For what its worth, here are the teams that had scouts at last night's game:

ice_chip Chip Alexander Leafs, Stars, Kings, Blackhawks, Canucks, Avs have scouts at game. Big turnout. Maybe expecting some players to come available?

Ruutu might have just played himself into a trade. He was probably the best or second best player on the ice last night. I'd really hate to see him go, but he would probably have much better numbers on another team. He is a really underrated offensive player with a lot of skill. He has just never been able to show it with the type of offensive system the Canes have been using the past few years. None of the teams with scouts seem to have any sort of need for another blueliner. The Stars, Kings, Blackhawks and Canucks would probably have our top 2 dmen on their bottom pairing. I highly doubt those guys came to check out Bryan Allen or Tomas Kaberle.

Edited by Justin8649

Bobby Ryan's current contract:

This season he is slated to make 3.25 mil.

The next four seasons he is slate to make 5.562 mil.

His contract average is 5.1 mil

Current Hurricanes with UFAs at the end of this season (Current Salary):

Tuomo Ruutu (3.8 mil)

Bryan Allen (2.9 mil)

Tim Gleason (2.75 mil)

Alexei Ponikarovsky (1.5 mil)

Current Hurricanes with RFAs at the end of this season (Current Salary):

Jiri Tlusty (525,000)

Brett Sutter (525,000)

Jamie McBain (850,000)

Interesting that Joni and Kabs are eating up almost 9 mil between the two of them until 2013-14 season.

Edited by hopper915

LeBrun believes the asking price for Ryan “would likely revolve around a young defenseman, a young forward and possibly a high draft pick — in other words, a big package involving two to three pieces.”

Young defenseman - McBain

Young forward - Boychuk? Though, they would probably want someone who can play in the top 6 now. Is Ruutu considered young?

Give them w/e pick they wanted. I would do it.

For what its worth, here are the teams that had scouts at last night's game:

ice_chip Chip Alexander Leafs, Stars, Kings, Blackhawks, Canucks, Avs have scouts at game. Big turnout. Maybe expecting some players to come available?

Interesting - I didn't know that many teams were at the game last night. Anyone want to guess what forward JR would be interested in from those teams. I'll go first. From the Kings - J Willy. Haha..

LeBrun believes the asking price for Ryan “would likely revolve around a young defenseman, a young forward and possibly a high draft pick — in other words, a big package involving two to three pieces.”

Young defenseman - McBain

Young forward - Boychuk? Though, they would probably want someone who can play in the top 6 now. Is Ruutu considered young?

Give them w/e pick they wanted. I would do it.

Interesting - I didn't know that many teams were at the game last night. Anyone want to guess what forward JR would be interested in from those teams. I'll go first. From the Kings - J Willy. Haha..

Ruutu is 28. He's younger than me, so does that count?

Don't laugh about Jwill, JR loves to recycle former Canes and it would not be outside the realm of possibility that could happen. His current contract average is 3.65 mil til 2014-15 season. Its loaded at the front end, but decreases in the final two seasons.

Just throwing this out there.... but I don't see why the Ducks would be interested in Ruutu or Gleason as some have suggested. They're sitting in the same place as we are in the standings and although whatever deal they make could have an immediate impact, the real goal would be for long term gain. Ruutu and Gleason are both UFA's at the end of the season so there's no guarantee they'll be in anyone's long term plans. I would assume the Ducks are looking for a young defenseman and forward to help build around the pieces they already have in place and strengthen them for years to come.

The good news is we have those pieces too ;)

Jussi isn't at practice this morning. With all the trade rumors I always read way to much into almost anything. Just saying McBain doesn't play last night and Jussi not at practice.

NEVER MIND!

Mike Sundheim by ice_chip Jussi's wife, Salla, is having a baby today! Jokinen not at practice.

Congrats to Jussi and Salla.

11/30 Practice Updates

• Jim Rutherford said Justin Faulk's steady play has made "a defenseman or two expendable" - he's actively looking to move one for a forward.
  • Jay Harrison practicing with the team.
  • All defensemen on the ice
  • Jokinen not at practice. Jussi's wife, Salla, is having a baby today
  • Looks like lines will remain same. Staal with Skinner, Ruutu, ect. Practice about to start.
  • Muller told forwards wants more tips in front of net. "Let's get hungry," he said.
  • Very much an uptempo practice under Muller. Lot of work today.

Ruutu is 28. He's younger than me, so does that count?

Don't laugh about Jwill, JR loves to recycle former Canes and it would not be outside the realm of possibility that could happen. His current contract average is 3.65 mil til 2014-15 season. Its loaded at the front end, but decreases in the final two seasons.

Love J Willy, but man that guy can't stay healthy. Pass.

From Spectors about the potential Bobby Ryan sweepstakes:

[snip]

... The Flyers are in the market for defense, not another scoring winger.

C'mon Lavi, pick up the phone, give Frankie a call...I'm sure he'll give you a good scouting report on his brother. :lol:

The hit was more than a little high. Joslin caught him right in the sucker with a nice forearm/elbow combo. I'd be willing to bet Joslin gets at least a fine. Pretty sure he doesn't have any priors so I would think that plays into it as well. I think Puck Daddy posted a link on twitter if I'm not mistaken.

I couldn't believe John and Tripp (well, ok, John) skipped over that hit. I guess Tripp was too busy giving Staal credit for Faulk's goal-saving play to notice. :rolleyes: Puck Daddy had an article with Versteeg complaining about it. Versteeg fell into Joslin's elbow, but Joslin should not have had the elbow up. Probably should have been a penalty. He might get a fine, but that's it.

Well if Calgary pans out I could be in the running for the Just For Fun thread. It is Eklund though so I'm a little weary of the rumor. Everyone knows the Canes are looking for help so to juice it up he probably threw out 2 teams that are known to be on the market as well.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we're talking to Calgary as well as the Ducks with all the Iginla rumors going on. If they actually have some merit I could see us doing a multi-team deal that sees us giving Calgary whomever to move Iginla to the Ducks who would then give us Ryan.

This team simply is not going to go after Ryan or Iginla. The Hurricanes are a small budget team. They have never signed a free agent star player. They have never traded for a star player. It simply will not happen unless the team makes the playoffs for a few years in a row and starts making money. The only reason the team spent money in the offseason was so they could reach the cap floor.

Going to disagree. Brindy and before that Ozo. Both were star players. The Ozo acquisition was a very big one. So was the Brindy for KP deal. Both were big moves to bring in star players.

This team simply is not going to go after Ryan or Iginla. The Hurricanes are a small budget team. They have never signed a free agent star player. They have never traded for a star player. It simply will not happen unless the team makes the playoffs for a few years in a row and starts making money. The only reason the team spent money in the offseason was so they could reach the cap floor.

unfortunately i think you may be right but it has me worried and it's absolutely ridiculous. Ryan is supposedly everything that staal is missing and what this team needs. If they aren't willing to spend 5.1 million for a first liner then what's the point? Pk might as well sell the team. We gave Ruutu 4.4. The cap floor is only going to continue to rise and we have plenty of cheap young defensemen coming. IF THEY BELIEVE RYAN IS TOO EXPENSIVE THEN THEY ARE ONLY LOOKING AT THIS SEASON. and that is concerning.

Going to disagree. Brindy and before that Ozo. Both were star players. The Ozo acquisition was a very big one. So was the Brindy for KP deal. Both were big moves to bring in star players.

The only reason we got Rod was because we traded away our whiny captain (remember Primeau? the guy that was demanding a trade?) I wouldn't exactly compare that to making a trade for a star player. Rutherford's hand was forced and it was basically a wash of a move. Admittedly, we did end up winning the trade though.

Ozolinsh is debatable. The best years of his career were already behind him and the Hurricanes basically traded away their entire draft to get the guy. I'm not sure that getting rid of a possible top 3 pick this year is a good idea with Yakupov and Grigorenko available.

The only reason we got Rod was because we traded away our whiny captain (remember Primeau? the guy that was demanding a trade?) I wouldn't exactly compare that to making a trade for a star player. Rutherford's hand was forced and it was basically a wash of a move. Admittedly, we did end up winning the trade though.

Ozolinsh is debatable. The best years of his career were already behind him and the Hurricanes basically traded away their entire draft to get the guy. I'm not sure that getting rid of a possible top 3 pick this year is a good idea with Yakupov and Grigorenko available.

You can't say the Ozo deal was not going after a star player based on how he panned out with Carolina that is unfair. At that current time everyone was ecstatic about bringing him in and it was a very big deal. This is about making the playoffs this year. I don't want a 1st overall pick and tank the rest of the season.

Edited by bluedevil58

I agree about Brindy, JR's hand was forced, so I don't think that really applies. But the Ozo deal, everybody was salivating over getting him, so I think that does apply. But outside of that particular trade, it really isn't JR's style.

I'll scream bloody murder if we give up our first round pick in this draft. I know some expect Muller to do wonders, but like they say, you can pour all the perfume you want on dog pooh, but it still smells like and is dog pooh.

This team needs a serious overhaul, IMO. And as crass as it sounds, I just don't think we have the horse's in this bunch to pull the wagon.

We made one bold move by going outside the org for Muller, let's face reality and look beyond this year's playoffs and start to ACTUALLY build for the future. I know it's too early for a firesale, but I'm not kidding myself either.

In the Eastern Conference for two straight years seven of the top eight teams on Nov. 1 ended up in the postseason, and in 2008-09, six of the top eight teams on Nov. 1 made the playoffs. That means that in the last three seasons, only four teams that were not in the top eight after the first month of the season have gone on to grab a playoff spot.

Consider that we are last in the East and November 1st was about a month ago, our chances are basically 0 at this point. Not only do the Hurricanes have to completely turn their game around, but they need 5 more teams to completely tank the rest of the season. It just isn't going to happen.

If the Canes got to the point of being a big time seller this year, the team is close to the salary floor now and couldn't just offload everybody without taking some salary back.