The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Ironically, the Ducks fans are saying Ryan is inconsistent and lazy, LOL.

Just like with Staal I say, wow, if that guy can be inconsistent and lazy and finish the year in the top 21 of all NHL players in points and put up 30+ goals three years in a row, and be a dramatically plus player for his career...

Imagine what he could do if he tried.

But seriously, if they've had enough of him, just send him on over.

Greg Wyshynski from Puck Daddy just retweeted a Flyers writer who claims that Philly is not in on Bobby Ryan. He also claims the NYR and Canes have the inside track. Interesting news to say in the least.

EDIT: Randy Carlyle was just fired so that probably staves off any roster changes for the time being.

Edited by jfive

Nail. Coffin.

RealKyper Nick Kypreos

#Ducks GM Bob Murray has assured Bobby Ryan he is off #NHL trading market today. Also told Ryan's desire to be moved is no longer an issue.

Funnily enough, I just stumbled across one of our buddies posting on the Ducks forum: http://fans.ducks.nhl.com/community/topic/8981-ryan-will-be-a-cane-by-the-end-of-the-week/

Edited by Justin8649

Thats a smidge embarassing for our forum....

Oh No! I affected our forum pride. I guess I'm en embarrassment to our interwebz honor. I apologize for getting insight from others and seeing other fans opinions.

legend, bluedevil, I think you forgot this --> :sarcasmalert:

:lol:

I should probably make that icon my first "signature".

Edited by JLP

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere. From CNNSI, Scotty Bowman's take on the state of the Canes:

As far as Carolina goes, the Hurricanes are in that Southeast Division of lower payroll teams and it’s reflected by their roster as far as Bowman is concerned. “They got Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. Tuomo Ruutu’s OK. But they don’t have any other forwards. Their defense corps, he keeps getting recycled guys. How can you keep winning with recycled players? You click for a while, eh? They have a goalie (Cam Ward) who’s very good. He’s going to need some relief, though. They get a lot of shots against them.”

Dude knows a thing or 9 about coaching in the NHL. I'd throw in Sutter, but who am I to argue w/ Scotty Bowman?

legend, bluedevil, I think you forgot this --> :sarcasmalert:

:lol:

I should probably make that icon my first "signature".

When our members troll other boards, it's embarassing.

If a Leafs fans comes in here and says... "Staal will be a Leaf next week, discuss"

It's trolling.

Anyway I'm done with it, not the topic for it.

When our members troll other boards, it's embarassing.

If a Leafs fans comes in here and says... "Staal will be a Leaf next week, discuss"

It's trolling.

Anyway I'm done with it, not the topic for it.

My apologies for ruining our internet forum honor by "trolling".

Dude knows a thing or 9 about coaching in the NHL in the 20th century. I'd throw in Sutter, but who am I to argue w/ Scotty Bowman?

Fixed that for you. I guess Jokinen is going to have to score 100 points to get remembered outside Raleigh. Then again Bowman's gotta be pushing 80, can cut him some slack for that I guess.

Edited by JLP

Now that the Ducks have gone with a coaching change, Ryan is officially off the market. Apparently, the struggling Flames are shopping Iginla but he has an NTC and is rumored to be interested only in teams with a shot at the Cup. At 34 I don't blame him.

Not sure what JR can do. I am sure that it needed to be done five months ago, on July 1, when free agency opened. You look at a team like the Panthers, patched together from guys all over the place.... That team has more chemistry than ours does, and that's sad.

At this point, JR needs to start considering what this team will look like next season. Which of our FAs will be coming back? How does he rid himself of Kabs? Are we going full on youth movement? Some of those FAs could bring legit prospects back this way.

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere. From CNNSI, Scotty Bowman's take on the state of the Canes:

Don't think the quote made it on my paste here, but I saw this quote in Luke's article this morning. Pretty honest assessment.

His point is well taken. Sure Jokinen and Sutter along with Ruutu, are solid forwards. But even then Sutter is really a 3rd maybe second liner, as are Jussi and Ruutu. We can have just about any of our guys on the 3rd line, the problem is that you need at least 6 legitimate top 6 forwards, and at least 2 top line forwards. And we have 4 and 2, but with Staal off, really 4 and 1.

JR compiled an amazing group that won the cup. Those around longer than me can educate us how he got the likes of Williams, Stillman, Cullen, Whitney, to go with Staal, Brindy, and Cole. But then add Recchi and Weight, and that's some serious talent up front. That team had 7 guys put up 50 points (ok Cullen had 49, but from the 3rd line), and that didn't include Weight or Recchi.

We need to go total rebuild. The exception would have been if we could have landed our latest pipe dream, Bobby Ryan. That was a ready made, young superstar all loaded up and ready to go and signed for 2.5 more years. Too good to be true as it turns out.

So, we rebuild.

But here's the key. The rebuild has to include picking up a legit first line free agent AND a legit top tier shut down guy in free agency, and not lose Ruutu. Shed salary. Kaberle, LaRose, and either Gleason or Allen could go. Find those two free agents, and just one JR cast off find. Get speed. Get a top pick this year. Go down just this once and grab a top pick.

Last time we got Skinner.

Anyway, ever since the cup JR's retreads have been more misses than hits, and this year was 3 strikes.

This team is dead last in points gotten vs. games played. The coaching move will help, but unless a Bobby Ryan type move is coming, we are NOT running off the kind of streak we need with this team. And we are too far in the hole to trade young assets. As much as I want a top line winger, our best bet would be to sit back and see if the perfect guy just happens to pop up, but in the end that will likely have to be an offseason move as the top guys will be going to playoff contenders.

JR did good work with Jussi and Joni, but after that just about every move was wrong. At least 5 major mistakes if you count keeping Mo.

Time for a rebuild.

Edited by remkin

JR compiled an amazing group that won the cup. Those around longer than me can educate us how he got the likes of Williams, Stillman, Cullen, Whitney, to go with Staal, Brindy, and Cole. But then add Recchi and Weight, and that's some serious talent up front. That team had 7 guys put up 50 points (ok Cullen had 49, but from the 3rd line), and that didn't include Weight or Recchi.

Williams - He was traded for from Philly for Danny Markov. Markov was an older experienced defensman that didn't really work. We needed one more forward and Philly was very young on the blue line. We had guys like Ward, Hedican and Wesley, so experience there wasn't an issue. A classic mutually beneficial trade.

Stillman - He was a free agent after winning the cup in Tampa in 03 - 04. He was good there, but classic example, as we saw in free agency of 2006 after winning the cup, guys are going to want more money because they were just successfull.

Cullen - A free agent we picked up. Brindy was still in his prime the feelings about Staal were basically like what we were thinking about Dalpe at the beginning of this year - he's ready, just unproven. Cullen was exactly what we needed - a guy who can play the 2nd center spot is Staal wasn't ready, but good enough of the defensive side of things where he could slide into a 3rd line spot.

Whitney - Kinda like Cullen, just a free agent. Free agency was NUTS after the lockout b/c many contracts were signed for one year in 03 - 04 because of the pending lockout. Whitney was brought in to basically be a veteran leader. He actually didn't have that good of a year...

Yes, that team was dirty. Stillman Staal Cole that year was probably the best line we've ever seen in Raleigh.

Williams - He was traded for from Philly for Danny Markov. Markov was an older experienced defensman that didn't really work. We needed one more forward and Philly was very young on the blue line. We had guys like Ward, Hedican and Wesley, so experience there wasn't an issue. A classic mutually beneficial trade.

Stillman - He was a free agent after winning the cup in Tampa in 03 - 04. He was good there, but classic example, as we saw in free agency of 2006 after winning the cup, guys are going to want more money because they were just successfull.

Cullen - A free agent we picked up. Brindy was still in his prime the feelings about Staal were basically like what we were thinking about Dalpe at the beginning of this year - he's ready, just unproven. Cullen was exactly what we needed - a guy who can play the 2nd center spot is Staal wasn't ready, but good enough of the defensive side of things where he could slide into a 3rd line spot.

Whitney - Kinda like Cullen, just a free agent. Free agency was NUTS after the lockout b/c many contracts were signed for one year in 03 - 04 because of the pending lockout. Whitney was brought in to basically be a veteran leader. He actually didn't have that good of a year...

Yes, that team was dirty. Stillman Staal Cole that year was probably the best line we've ever seen in Raleigh.

Thanks! So JR did it once, he can do it again.

Time for a rebuild.

Agree w/ most of this. The Poni and Kaberle signings made zero sense when they happened and they make much less than zero sense know. Give them to anyone who'll take their salaries. At least Poni comes off the books at the end of the season.

Disagree re: LaRose. He's not making much (by NHL standards), skates his *edit* off, kills penalties, and is a fan favorite. While he's certainly not a guy you build a franchise around, he's a great role player. If someone wants to overpay for a grinder with Cup experience let them, but moving him and his salary has to be a low priority. It's a small enough salary and he's good enough at what he does that he's more part of the solution than the problem imo.

Speaking of the lightning in a bottle team, I was lamenting last evening with a friend who's new to the Canes how much fun it was was 17 and 11 play alongside each other. Full strength, PP, PK....the two of them moved like unit most of the time. Hated to see Williams get hurt - he was a favorite of mine.

Agree w/ most of this. The Poni and Kaberle signings made zero sense when they happened and they make much less than zero sense know. Give them to anyone who'll take their salaries. At least Poni comes off the books at the end of the season.

Disagree re: LaRose. He's not making much (by NHL standards), skates his *edit* off, kills penalties, and is a fan favorite. While he's certainly not a guy you build a franchise around, he's a great role player. If someone wants to overpay for a grinder with Cup experience let them, but moving him and his salary has to be a low priority. It's a small enough salary and he's good enough at what he does that he's more part of the solution than the problem imo.

LaRose is a tough one. I would agree that he is worth his salary. He has been productive. He could be a solid third line piece of a very good team including ours. So in general I don't have a problem with LaRose except that he kept getting slotted ahead of his ability. Consequently, while he has some ok production, he is working on a plus/minus to go with Staal's and his own from last year.

JR also signed Dwyer, whom lots of smart hockey fans love, and for good reason, but who has absolutely NO finishing ability. Dwyer is really a 4th liner, but does so many other things right that he could be the #9 forward on the 3rd line. But that's his max.

Then there was Tlusty. The guy does a lot of good things and has more finish than Dwyer, but has not yet really produced as a top 6 guy.

Then Poni and Stewart. Poni is getting the goals (18 goal pace), but 3 assists? Brett Sutter has 3 assists. Lumbering not playmaking, he is the anti-Dwyer, really doesn't add much else other than just sub 20 goals.

So there are Stewart, Poni, LaRose, Tlusty, Dwyer all taking up space in our top 9. All third liners. And no Cole.

But worse, guys like Dalpe and Boychuk are blocked by those guys.

So instead of Poni, Stewart, LaRose, Tlusty, Dwyer and no Cole. I favored: pick 2 of those 4, and use left over salary to truly replace Cole. And then elevate either Dalpe or Boychuk for a serious look, or both.

Every team needs a Dwyer or LaRose or Tlusty or Stewart in their top 9. ONE of them, two at most.

Clear out some of the third liners and get our kids up for a serious look.

On Kabs, barring JR's twin out there seeing the "potential", I think we have no choice but to keep him and try to get him playing well enough to move him at the deadline. If he could get back to near his former self, we could get a nice pick for him and dump that salary.

Edited by remkin

LukeDeCock - 9 scouts at RBC tonight: WSH, OTT, VAN, TOR, NSH, COL, CHI, CLB, LAK, DAL. Apparently 12 in Charlotte last night. Vultures circling.

PaulBranecky - One thing I did take away from scouts being here is that they too had trouble identifying first line. Called them 1a, 1b, 1c

JR Failed this off season.

Poni = Bust.

Kabs = epic fail.

Stewart = Could still work out in the right roll + is really cheap.

Keeping Mo, & not going after Kevin Dineen was a huge mistake that might have just been corrected by grabbing Muller.

Time to go full rebuild. DO NOT TRADE any PICKS or Prospects to try & help this team. I don't see how this team makes the playoffs.

Instead it is time to start trading any UFA / RFA that Muller doesn't want, & get picks & prospects in return. Trade Kabs & Poni for anything you can get.

Bring up Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman, & any others that we need to see perform at the NHL level with top 9 minutes please.

I was under the impression that last year was rebuild mode. Are we going to go into rebuild mode again? There is still A LOT of hockey left. The playoffs are still in reach..Not trying like a homer here but we can still make the playoffs. Give it a few more weeks. I think we're starting to see the differences in a new coach already with regards to our fore checking.

I would actually be ok with using some picks and/or prospects to bring someone in, IF that player is under contract for some time. We already have both good defensive and forward prospects that aren't being used. I don't think you have to necessarily add to that. Not this year, at least. The Hurricanes need some NHL ready talent NOW. For example, if the Oilers would give us Hemsky for Boychuk and a 2nd (not saying they would - just an example here) and he signed a three or 4 year contract extension, would you be ok with that deal?