The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Last season they over-achieved expectations, so we really didn't "rebuild". Since then, we lost Cole and Corvo and brought in Stewart, Poni and Kaberle.

This team kinda reminds me of when Laviolette was first brought in after Mo was let go the first time. It took time and some changes.

JR made some mistakes this past summer but at least he's trying to fix them now. Isn't that what fans have been calling for? Accountability and action? Paul Maurice was only one of the many issues for this team, that's been addressed because it was the quickest and easiest change to make but player /personnel changes are going to take longer.

Stay tuned.....

Has this season been good? No

Have the free agents worked out? No?

Are there clear issues with talent on this roster? Yes

But I want to add four reasons that can explain this that seem to get overlooked.

1. Team for Sale - At the start of the year, we were trying to sell part of the team so keeping the budget small was crucial. Thomas Thewes passing, in my eyes, is the 2nd worst thing that has happened to this franchise, only behind the death of Steve Chaison. Mr. Thewes was crucial to our financial plan. Now that we have more invested, hopefully we will bounce back.

2. Cole / Whitney - You can say "Oh we need these guys" or "why did they leave?" Simple. THEY decided to. We didn't let them go. Cole to me wasn't a problem with how he left but I have a huge issue with the way Whitney handeled his departure. He denies a trade for a Colten Teubert and a first round pick because "he doesn't want to move his family" but then signs in Phoenix. Last I checked that's 2,177 miles from here. Throw in losing both these guys and not getting anything in return for either of them and that leads to issues.

3. Cup trades - We traded away a lot to get Doug Weight and Mark Recchi in 2005 - 2006. The Weight trade involved a first round pick and fourth round pick and Recchi in involved a second round pick. When you figure that the only players that we have drafted in the last 5 years making an impact are McBain and Skinner, you see lots of depth issues. For the record, St. Louis got Patrik Berglund with our pick and he scored 56 goals through his first three years in the league including 22 last year.

4. 2009 / 2010 Gamble - The 2009 playoff run was epic and looking for one more run out of guys like Brind'Amour, Whitney and Walker, the Canes added only veterans to try and make one more run. The result was one of the worst sasons in franchise history.

The Canes have played roughly a third of the season, 27 games, and currently have 20 points in the standings. There are only 3 teams in the league with fewer points; 2 with 18 and one with 17. Those 3 teams have from 2 to 5 games in hand on the Canes, so at some point the Canes could be losing ground to those teams. You can say that the Canes are only 6 points out of a playoff spot, but there are 6 teams to crawl over to get there, and by the way, they all have games in hand. The whole league has games in hand since the Canes have played more games than every team. Unless this team goes something like 8-2 in the next 10, it's over as far as any playoff dreams are concerned.

JR and Captain Kirk need to look at every decision with an eye (really both eyes) toward the future. If a deal for a Bobby Ryan or the like comes along, great, but don't expect miracles. Any players on the team not deemed as part of the future need to be considered expendable this year and we need to see what our Dalpes, Boychuks, Bowmans, etc. bring to the table. That would certainly be more tolerable than to keep bailing water out of a sinking ship.

Edited by super_dave_1

But I want to add four reasons that can explain this that seem to get overlooked.

1. Team for Sale - At the start of the year, we were trying to sell part of the team so keeping the budget small was crucial. Thomas Thewes passing, in my eyes, is the 2nd worst thing that has happened to this franchise, only behind the death of Steve Chaison. Mr. Thewes was crucial to our financial plan. Now that we have more invested, hopefully we will bounce back.

2. Cole / Whitney - You can say "Oh we need these guys" or "why did they leave?" Simple. THEY decided to. We didn't let them go. Cole to me wasn't a problem with how he left but I have a huge issue with the way Whitney handeled his departure. He denies a trade for a Colten Teubert and a first round pick because "he doesn't want to move his family" but then signs in Phoenix. Last I checked that's 2,177 miles from here. Throw in losing both these guys and not getting anything in return for either of them and that leads to issues.

3. Cup trades - We traded away a lot to get Doug Weight and Mark Recchi in 2005 - 2006. The Weight trade involved a first round pick and fourth round pick and Recchi in involved a second round pick. When you figure that the only players that we have drafted in the last 5 years making an impact are McBain and Skinner, you see lots of depth issues. For the record, St. Louis got Patrik Berglund with our pick and he scored 56 goals through his first three years in the league including 22 last year.

4. 2009 / 2010 Gamble - The 2009 playoff run was epic and looking for one more run out of guys like Brind'Amour, Whitney and Walker, the Canes added only veterans to try and make one more run. The result was one of the worst sasons in franchise history.

All very good points. The issues the current team has are the result of so many different moving parts and not just one specific thing. JR has committed himself to turning things around but its going to take time. The good news is that Charlotte has finally been restocked so there are parts to work with for immediate fixes as well as important pieces for the near future.

Hey, the CBA is up for review again and there's always he threat of another lockout, maybe JR can catch lightning in a bottle again? :grin:

I would actually be ok with using some picks and/or prospects to bring someone in, IF that player is under contract for some time. We already have both good defensive and forward prospects that aren't being used. I don't think you have to necessarily add to that. Not this year, at least. The Hurricanes need some NHL ready talent NOW. For example, if the Oilers would give us Hemsky for Boychuk and a 2nd (not saying they would - just an example here) and he signed a three or 4 year contract extension, would you be ok with that deal?

Hemsky is too injured prone for me, but I get what your talking about.

How do we know Boychuk is not NHL ready? Every time he came up 4th line 5 min per game. Maybe one game in the top 9 then make any mistake & he was sent back to the 4th line, press box, or Charlotte.

Yes...it is early...at most I give it to game #50 that will be mid January. But I don't trade any picks or prospects unless it lands us someone like Bobby Ryan. Young, NHL proven, & signed to a long contract or extended right after the trade. Just make sure it is for the long term.

I just get tired of the retreads, & the third liners that are suppose to possible step up & be that missing top 6 guy. Time to go full youth movement.

Pens did it. Caps did it. Hawks did it. Oilers did it. Look at them now.

All very good points. The issues the current team has are the result of so many different moving parts and not just one specific thing. JR has committed himself to turning things around but its going to take time. The good news is that Charlotte has finally been restocked so there are parts to work with for immediate fixes as well as important pieces for the near future.

Hey, the CBA is up for review again and there's always he threat of another lockout, maybe JR can catch lightning in a bottle again? :grin:

I doubt we will see another lockout, but I DO hope to see the cap lowered.. That's a big problem for us

I doubt we will see another lockout, but I DO hope to see the cap lowered.. That's a big problem for us

I would hope not, the lock out was a very tough lesson for everyone involved and I would hope that both sides would try and make sure doesn't ever happen again.

And I also agree, the ever increasing cap is a huge problem for teams like ours who could barely keep up with Jones's as it was. Yes there are a few smaller market/lower spending teams that are succeeding like Dallas, but they're the exception and not the rule. A sport like the NHL who cant compete with top tier leagues needs to keep their playing field somewhat even to make sure their sport maintains its interest, consistently brings in new fans and gets national media attention for sponsorship.

....and then there's that thing called realignment. From everything I've seen and read, it could get much tougher to get into the playoffs in the East. You can almost bet Detroit is coming. But, that's a different issue.

IMO, the time to hold onto to the slim hope we might make the playoffs is gone. It's time for an eye to the future. No lip service about how we are "transitioning" or "rebuilding", like has been done for the last two years. It's time to dump anything not in our future plans for prospects and picks, particularly any expiring contracts.

But with that said, how do we do that and stay above the cap floor? That could be a challenge.

Pens did it. Caps did it. Hawks did it. Oilers did it. Look at them now.

Pens nearly left the city as well during the process... Caps were bottom dwellers for decades as were the hawks. I think the reason why JR continues to cling on to some portion of older vets is that we can't really afford to go a decade of losing and hoping prospects pan out (of course we are looking at 3 years in a row now...) Fortunately our scouting has improved, but we haven't been exactly drafting "Skinners" every year.

Edited by Ichigo-1

Fortunately our scouting has improved, but we haven't been exactly drafting "Skinners" every year.

Well we don't know if they're Skinners because they haven't been given a chance.

But with that said, how do we do that and stay above the cap floor? That could be a challenge.

There is one way that Kaberle can contribute. He does count towards the cap floor.

Edited by super_dave_1

Pens nearly left the city as well during the process... Caps were bottom dwellers for decades as were the hawks. I think the reason why JR continues to cling on to some portion of older vets is that we can't really afford to go a decade of losing and hoping prospects pan out (of course we are looking at 3 years in a row now...) Fortunately our scouting has improved, but we haven't been exactly drafting "Skinners" every year.

All True...but those bad years have given us Skinner, Sutter, Faulk, & McBain at the NHL level.

Dalpe, Boychuk, Nash, Sanguinetti, & Bowman at the AHL level, & they should all be at the NHL level soon.

Add Dumoulin, R. Murphy, & Rask who are not far from turning Pro.

Plus our 2012 1st round pick will probably be in the top 10, & as you said our scouting has improved a ton the last few years.

All we would have to do is resign Ruutu, give Skinner a raise, resign Boychuk & Bowman. Only add another vet if we still need to get above the cap floor.

Revamped young Canes roster with a shot to gel for many years to come. I thought that would be this year by the way, but instead we got Poni, Kabs, Tlusty, Dwyer/LaRose, & Stewart. Leaving no holes for the young guns to fill unless the had a camp equal to Skinner's camp last year, or Faulk's camp this year. Nash by the way also had a great camp this year.

I'm just saying I would like to see all the young guns up with the Canes, & some of the retreads gone.

Poni gone. Kabs gone. Pick one - Tlusty or Stewart. Pick one Dwyer or LaRose. That opens up four holes for McBain, Dalpe, Boychuk, & either Bowman or Nash. We need to see what these guys can do on the NHL Level in the correct spots!

....and then there's that thing called realignment. From everything I've seen and read, it could get much tougher to get into the playoffs in the East. You can almost bet Detroit is coming. But, that's a different issue.

IMO, the time to hold onto to the slim hope we might make the playoffs is gone. It's time for an eye to the future. No lip service about how we are "transitioning" or "rebuilding", like has been done for the last two years. It's time to dump anything not in our future plans for prospects and picks, particularly any expiring contracts.

I'm actually hoping JR and PK spends some money in the next offseason and bring in some veterans. Besides, what prospects do we have now that coaches and management actually trust to be full time NHLers. I think it's too late for Boychuk and this team. Use him to bring someone in (like a Hemsky or whomever). I guess I can see Dalpe and heck, maybe even Murphy with the Canes next year, but whom else? (assuming anyone we are about to draft will not be NHL ready next season..) Bring in some vets - it would almost be like the offseason before we won the cup.

I still think we need another center and we will need to fill in some winger positions..

Skinner - Staal - Hemsky (or whomever - but an actual first line winger)

Whitney (maybe wants to retire a Cane)/ or someone like Stempniak - Sutter - Jokinen (UFA this year)

Dalpe - Stoll (or another third line center) - LaRose

Dwyer - Brent - Stewart

If Dalpe isn't ready, I guess that's where Nodl comes in.

Too soon to be thinking offseason?

Edited by jeromeo87

There may be a solution for all of those who believe that our 2nd liners should really be 3rd liners, and for those who want more balance, even on the 4th line, and of course all of this without giving up the Skins and Finns line. I have 2 suggestions. Patrick Dwyer, the former captain of the River Rats along-side Staal, the captain of the 'Canes. Dwyer is such a hard-working player who would help Staal's Plus/Minus, and I believe Dwyer's game would be helped out by playing alongside Staal. 1st Suggestion:

Stewart-Staal-Dwyer

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Poni-Sutter-LaRose

Tlusty-Brent-Nodl..... OR, say we got a top 6 forward from trading Kabs Allen and Nodl for, let's say Bobby Ryan:

Ryan-Staal-Dwyer

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Poni-Sutter-LaRose

Tlusty-Brent-Stewart

Joslin-Gleason

Pitkanen-McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Ward

Boucher

Thoughts? Don't be too hard on me, just trying to make a change suggestion lol :)

Edited by Dukefan711

Off the trending topic,

The Penguins team was at Raleigh Center Ice today and about half of them made themselves available to the public. I just want to say to those of you who were just worrying about the Penguins rather than actually watching practice should be ashamed of yourselves.

And now we seem to forget the contributions of Martin Gerber. 38- 14-6 a season to get us to the Stanley Cup. Maybe we have had 1 season somewhat close, but nothing but "Defense Sucks" make a change, "Offense Sucks" make a change, "Coach Sucks" make a change, and now what do we do.

There may be a solution for all of those who believe that our 2nd liners should really be 3rd liners, and for those who want more balance, even on the 4th line, and of course all of this without giving up the Skins and Finns line. I have 2 suggestions. Patrick Dwyer, the former captain of the River Rats along-side Staal, the captain of the 'Canes. Dwyer is such a hard-working player who would help Staal's Plus/Minus, and I believe Dwyer's game would be helped out by playing alongside Staal. 1st Suggestion:

Stewart-Staal-Dwyer

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Poni-Sutter-LaRose

Tlusty-Brent-Nodl..... OR, say we got a top 6 forward from trading Kabs Allen and Nodl for, let's say Bobby Ryan:

Ryan-Staal-Dwyer

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Poni-Sutter-LaRose

Tlusty-Brent-Stewart

Joslin-Gleason

Pitkanen-McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Ward

Boucher

Thoughts? Don't be too hard on me, just trying to make a change suggestion lol :)

I merged your line up post into here since this seems to be where people are making all the line up suggestions.

I think Dwyer may have already been tried on that line at one point. Even though he's a speedy defensively responsible winger, he's going to have a tough time matching up against all the best defenders in the league who are on Staal every minute he's on the ice.

I merged your line up post into here since this seems to be where people are making all the line up suggestions.

I think Dwyer may have already been tried on that line at one point. Even though he's a speedy defensively responsible winger, he's going to have a tough time matching up against all the best defenders in the league who are Staal every minute he's on the ice.

Thanks and yeah, I know having Dwyer on the first line would really test him, but I brought it up because I thought if Tlusty could do it...lol and also to put two captains together for a hard-working "leadership line", and the final reason is, when you look at the 2nd-4th line, every single one of those lines improve with my suggestion. Now, if only Dwyer passes the test, and we can get one more top 6 to play along-side Staal(I now realize how bad we miss Cole).

Edited by Dukefan711

Where can I get a schedule showing when the Canes practice and skate; also where do they do it at, the RBC Center? Thanks so much to whoever helps me!

I think I'll get flamed for this, but I really really really wanted to make the playoffs this season. All this talk of re-building again and everything just makes me sick. The playoffs are like a disease around here that this franchise can never catch, for whatever reasons. Our fair-weather fan base needs the playoffs. I know our record is 8-15-4 (which is awful...), but I do not want JR throwing in the towel already for this season and our chances of making the playoffs.

Edited by fallen_apostle

Fallen, im with ya, im the eternal optimist [in my head] hoping for that huge winning streak...then i wake up.. :)

Fallen, im with ya, im the eternal optimist [in my head] hoping for that huge winning streak...then i wake up.. :)

Yeah, heck yeah, we all want playoff fever. There's nothing like the playoffs!

But the team isn't cooperating.

At first, all we had to do was start out October at 0.500 to survive. Mission accomplished! 11 out of 22 points.

OK, for November -- our return home -- we need about 0.600 to stay in the mix. Disaster! 9 out of 30, or 0.300.

It is now a huge hole. 0.500 is just a step, just puts the team in reach, but even then won't be enough to be in. To reach 0.500 by the end of December, the team needs to play 0.750, or 3 out of 4. They've already lost 1. They are not cooperating.

There's still hope, but every day it gets grimmer. Simply put, November was a real disaster. There are not easy words for it.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

There's still hope, but every day it gets grimmer. Simply put, November was a real disaster. There are not easy words for it.

Sounds vaguely familiar. If we could ever field a winning team in November/December, then I think our playoff chances year in/year out would be great.