The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

You look at a team like the Panthers, patched together from guys all over the place.... That team has more chemistry than ours does, and that's sad.

looks as if Dineen as taken an island of misfit toys and made it a "us vs the world" mentality and has built a contender. believe Captain Kirk can do the same given enough time

I think I'll get flamed for this, but I really really really wanted to make the playoffs this season. All this talk of re-building again and everything just makes me sick. The playoffs are like a disease around here that this franchise can never catch, for whatever reasons. Our fair-weather fan base needs the playoffs. I know our record is 8-15-4 (which is awful...), but I do not want JR throwing in the towel already for this season and our chances of making the playoffs.

Nope. You won't get flamed by some of us. The chance is dimming but the way the east is beating each other up it is still possible to at least challenge for a playoff spot. But time is running out and something IMO has happen soon. Either this team gets better really quick or we make a move or two really really quick.

It is never over until your eliminated.

Off the trending topic,

The Penguins team was at Raleigh Center Ice today and about half of them made themselves available to the public. I just want to say to those of you who were just worrying about the Penguins rather than actually watching practice should be ashamed of yourselves.

Unless Hurricanes players were asking Pens players for autographs I have no idea what your mad about.

Unless Hurricanes players were asking Pens players for autographs I have no idea what your mad about.

I get that stuff like that doesn't happen everyday, and i admit that even though i despise their team that it was pretty cool for all of about 10mins. The fact still remains it was a hurricanes practice. The whole practice people were standing by the line waiting for pens players to walk by rather than watching our team giving it all they got. That was the hardest i've seen them practice for years, and it seemed like it didn't matter to some. Granted, most of hurricanes fans were actually watching practice, but it irritated me seeing some of our fans more interested in another team. It wouldn't have been that bad if it were going on outside rather than directly in front of the ice.

I get that stuff like that doesn't happen everyday, and i admit that even though i despise their team that it was pretty cool for all of about 10mins. The fact still remains it was a hurricanes practice. The whole practice people were standing by the line waiting for pens players to walk by rather than watching our team giving it all they got. That was the hardest i've seen them practice for years, and it seemed like it didn't matter to some. Granted, most of hurricanes fans were actually watching practice, but it irritated me seeing some of our fans more interested in another team. It wouldn't have been that bad if it were going on outside rather than directly in front of the ice.

That is because, when you see half the arena tomorrow night filled with rabid Pens fans----it is mostly folks who wear Canes

jerseys the rest of the year !!! They come out of the greater Raleigh area woodwork twice a year in all their Pens garb.(A few

travel down, of course)

That's funny. Hard to believe that was 10yrs ago almost. But fans left their house to watch them practice, and a few could seem to care less. Even crosby and company seemed more interested in watching our team than the select few. And what really got me was people huddled to get orpik's autograph. Had i'd gone over there, it wouldn't have been to get an autograph.

I myself am a fan of the Wild and Sharks in addition to Carolina. Who's to say if cullen, koivu, marleau or thorton were there i would've acted differentl.

Sounds vaguely familiar. If we could ever field a winning team in November/December, then I think our playoff chances year in/year out would be great.

I think this is getting in the team's collective head, especially Staal. The "dream team" year was so bad, the scar still hurts.

Nope. You won't get flamed by some of us. The chance is dimming but the way the east is beating each other up it is still possible to at least challenge for a playoff spot. But time is running out and something IMO has happen soon. Either this team gets better really quick or we make a move or two really really quick.

It is never over until your eliminated.

This is actually a good point. If the trend continues, there could be a low bar for playoff entry this year in the East. Especially if the shine wears of the Panthers. So yeah, it isn't over, but the team really has to have a decent December to recover.

That is because, when you see half the arena tomorrow night filled with rabid Pens fans

There used to be a lot of rabies cases here in Carolina. Lousy season starts, cliffhanger bad endings, and just some general bad years have innoculated many of their rabies.

I think I'll get flamed for this, but I really really really wanted to make the playoffs this season. All this talk of re-building again and everything just makes me sick. The playoffs are like a disease around here that this franchise can never catch, for whatever reasons. Our fair-weather fan base needs the playoffs. I know our record is 8-15-4 (which is awful...), but I do not want JR throwing in the towel already for this season and our chances of making the playoffs.

No flaming here. In fact, I think a lot of people here agree with you. We all want the playoffs. But the reality is that we've dug ourselves a big whole and left a slim chance of making the postseason this year. That is, if we continue to play like we've had the last two months. Sure, we could go on a hot streak, and I hope we do, but with a new coach and learning a new style of play, it's going to take a while for everything to gel. I just hope it happens sooner than later.

I haven't seen anything to make me think we may go on a hot streak. We just don't have the skill on this team to compete with other teams. Changes have to be made for any hot streak to happen.

We are officially in last place in the East, and every team ahead of us has games in hand. Only Anaheim and Columbus are worse in the NHL, and they have games in hand on us as well.

The vultures will start circling soon. We've got Allen, Gleason, Poni and Ruutu as UFAs. Any one of them could get us picks/prospects as we near the trade deadline.

I hope we re-sign Ruutu. We probably need to keep one of Allen or Gleason but not both. Moving Kabs would be a breath of fresh air, but I fear he's our nightmare now. I'll wager Poni is gone by the deadline. He already has more goals this year than he had all last season in LA. He's not the complementary 1st line winger teams thought he was coming out of Toronto, but I've liked the way he plays on the 3rd line. We'll get a mid-round draft pick for him.

Bottom line: I fully expect by March that we'll be seeing some of the Checkers filling in roster spots on this team as an audition to 2012-2013.

I like the way the team is playing under Muller, but it would be crazy to trade picks/propects for a top-6 winger unless the right deal fell in our laps. The player coming to us would need to be signed for a couple of years as well.

I hope the ownership situation is sorted enough that while we might not spend to the cap, we're not at the bottom of it either.

And finally: Fail for Nail!

The latest from Spectors:

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/12/04/sunday-nhl-rumor-roundup-december-4-2011/

Its not surprising that talk has already started about the Canes as potential sellers at the trade deadline.

I believe the deadline is Feb. 27th this season. That seems a long time away but the way the season is going i see no reason to doubt that the fire sale will be a reality.

IMO JR needs to blow this team apart and every player on this team should be on notice with the exceptions of Skinner and Ward.

Spector mentions Ruutu and Gleason specifically. I wouldn't be shocked to see either moved for picks/prospects.

I'm beginning to wonder if #12 might be another one. I'll probably get flamed for that but I sure never thought the Flyers would move Mike Richards. I bet nobody thought the Oilers would trade The Great One either.

Just sayin.....anything is possible

The latest from Spectors:

http://spectorshocke...ecember-4-2011/

Its not surprising that talk has already started about the Canes as potential sellers at the trade deadline.

I believe the deadline is Feb. 27th this season. That seems a long time away but the way the season is going i see no reason to doubt that the fire sale will be a reality.

IMO JR needs to blow this team apart and every player on this team should be on notice with the exceptions of Skinner and Ward.

Spector mentions Ruutu and Gleason specifically. I wouldn't be shocked to see either moved for picks/prospects.

I'm beginning to wonder if #12 might be another one. I'll probably get flamed for that but I sure never thought the Flyers would move Mike Richards. I bet nobody thought the Oilers would trade The Great One either.

Just sayin.....anything is possible

Interesting but not surprising, no doubt the vultures are circling.

I would expect us have big roster changes coming before the start of next season with Kirk Muller hopefully being allowed to give input on the type of players he'd like to see be brought in. If there's one lesson I'd like JR to have learned from the past few seasons, its to allow your coach to have a huge say on the personnel he has to work with. I look at the next 10 or so games as a way to weed out who will buy into the new system and who is capable of executing it with success.

Something tells me we're in for a Florida Panther's like rebuild. Seems to be working for them.

Something tells me we're in for a Florida Panther's like rebuild. Seems to be working for them.

I agree with you TSA. I think a full blown, new system, new style rebuild is a reality here. Isn't it depressing though how we've all but been eliminated before Christmas? :(

Phoenix put Patrick O'Sullivan on waivers today. Its just not happening for this guy, there must be some reason.

I agree with you TSA. I think a full blown, new system, new style rebuild is a reality here. Isn't it depressing though how we've all but been eliminated before Christmas? :(

Totally agree on the firesale and I'm behind it...love Ruutu but he's getting 4.4 mil this year, if he wants a raise, I'd think that there are A LOT more guys we could get for 5 mil a year who could help this team more. Allen, Gleason, and Ponikavarsky are all UFAs, Tlusty is a RFA and I would think that only one of them would be with us after the deadline (Gleason or Allen), certainly not on next year's roster. LaRose and Dwyer are pretty much clones of eachother, energy, speed, good on the kill, can provide some scoring. We only need 1 of them. Kitchener is doing better than expected but I still expect that Murphy will be with us or the Checkers before the season is up, same with Doumalin once the NCAA season is over.

I hope to see Dalpe, Boychuck and Bowman up soon to see what they have to offer in the new system...the speed and attack style should suit all 3 of them very well. If they can show us something then I'd say the team makes trades for picks/prospects and let the youngsters play out the season, make and learn form their mistakes and be ready to be full time NHLers next year with Rask, Nash, and hopefully Shugg ready to pick it up as well.

Something tells me we're in for a Florida Panther's like rebuild.

Sound great to me. This has the same feeling as the offseason before 05-06. Lots of new faces on that team. And we've set outselves up for a kind of rebuild, with many names coming off of the books. Ruutu, Poni, Allen, Gleason, McBain, and Tlusty are all free agents after this year (though McBain and Tlusty are RFAs). I'm betting McBain stays and Tlusty does not.

Sound great to me. This has the same feeling as the offseason before 05-06. Lots of new faces on that team. And we've set outselves up for a kind of rebuild, with many names coming off of the books. Ruutu, Poni, Allen, Gleason, McBain, and Tlusty are all free agents after this year (though McBain and Tlusty are RFAs). I'm betting McBain stays and Tlusty does not.

I wonder if McBain is on the trading block...We know Faulk, Pitkanen, Joslin, Murphy and Harrison are all likely to be with the team next year. I bet that Doumalin will be on the 2012 roster and at 6'3", 205, he will add some size and grit. That leaves Gleason, Allen, McBain and Kaberle all possibly on the outside looking in. I'd think that one of those 4 come back, maybe 2 if we cannot find some sucker to take Kaberle from us.

McBain could generate a 2nd round pick for us, maybe even more...he's got skills and serious upside, I just don't know if there is space for him as an offensive D-Man here with Faulk, Pitkanen and Murphy on the 2012 roster.

I wonder if McBain is on the trading block...We know Faulk, Pitkanen, Joslin, Murphy and Harrison are all likely to be with the team next year. I bet that Doumalin will be on the 2012 roster and at 6'3", 205, he will add some size and grit. That leaves Gleason, Allen, McBain and Kaberle all possibly on the outside looking in. I'd think that one of those 4 come back, maybe 2 if we cannot find some sucker to take Kaberle from us.

McBain could generate a 2nd round pick for us, maybe even more...he's got skills and serious upside, I just don't know if there is space for him as an offensive D-Man here with Faulk, Pitkanen and Murphy on the 2012 roster.

You bring up a good point. McBain would be a good asset to maybe bring in some forward help. I was more so saying that out of all of our RFAs I think McBain is most likely to stay here.

On another note, is it common knownledge that Dumoulin will be ready next year? I've heard Murphy could be ready, but this is the first I've heard that Dumoulin could be ready.

I wonder if McBain is on the trading block...

I agree that McBain might be on the block, but I wouldn't even think about it for a second round pick. 1/4 second round picks ever see 100 games in the NHL and McBain, while still working on aspects of his game, has WAY more upside than that.

A first rounder on a mid or lower team maybe, or a similar promising young forward.

He is an asset, but we need more than that for him or we should keep him.

Edited by remkin

You bring up a good point. McBain would be a good asset to maybe bring in some forward help. I was more so saying that out of all of our RFAs I think McBain is most likely to stay here.

On another note, is it common knownledge that Dumoulin will be ready next year? I've heard Murphy could be ready, but this is the first I've heard that Dumoulin could be ready.

I was at a luncheon where Ron Francis spoke and he said they wanted him in Charlotte this year but he decided to stay in school. I think this means he's close if not ready to play here. Said similar things about Biega and that Biega told the team that his dad "would kill him" if he did not get his degree from Harvard before turning pro.

MOST Defensemen take longer to develop to make it on the NHL level than forwards. While Doumalin has the size, but is not a physical defenseman.