The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I wonder if the new 4 conference setup will play in hand in how JR goes about finding a winger for Staal? The new conference/division the Canes are in is much harder than just the SE division.

I wonder if the new 4 conference setup will play in hand in how JR goes about finding a winger for Staal? The new conference/division the Canes are in is much harder than just the SE division.

I agree with ya jfive,,next year is going to be even tougher and since we have been in the cellar the last few years I hope this will help shed some light on the Canes and they will be willing to go out and get a good winger to help the anes out. We can't be at the bottom of the division and the cap floor and expect much out of the Canes. We surely don't want to be under the Islanders year after year. More wins equals more fans thru the door which is more MONEY!

Beat writer for the BJs claims the Canes offered TKabs and a 2nd rounder for Brassard.

EDIT: pretty obvious the BJs didn't like that offer.

Edited by jfive

Are there any impact now players like Skinner, Fowler, and the other 2 guys of 2 years ago?

FAIL FOR NAIL!!!

Nail Yakupov will be the 1st overall pick, & more than likely play in the NHL next season.

My link

In 21 games for the Sting this season, Yakupov has 14 goals, 41 points and a plus-17 rating. He was named the Canadian Hockey League's Rookie of the Year last season after producing 49 goals and 101 points -- the latter total shattered Steven Stamkos' team record for a rookie (92 points in 2006-07).

nail-yakupov.jpg?w=320

Edited by rocheccw

FAIL FOR NAIL!!!

Nail Yakupov will be the 1st overall pick, & more than likely play in the NHL next season.

My link

In 21 games for the Sting this season, Yakupov has 14 goals, 41 points and a plus-17 rating. He was named the Canadian Hockey League's Rookie of the Year last season after producing 49 goals and 101 points -- the latter total shattered Steven Stamkos' team record for a rookie (92 points in 2006-07).

Yakupov is a great talent, no doubt, but I'm afraid he will get in trouble for questionable hits and over-celebration - much like Ovie's "fire-sick."

Maybe we should start a new thread about the upcoming draft prospects?

Yakupov is a great talent, no doubt, but I'm afraid he will get in trouble for questionable hits and over-celebration - much like Ovie's "fire-sick."

Maybe we should start a new thread about the upcoming draft prospects?

yeah that'd be good because check this out!

Listening to XM, and hearing that goalies are dropping like flies everywhere.

Peters was passed over for replacing Boucher in order to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.

I wonder if Peters wouldn't be part of a possible trade package? He's had a great month in the AHL.

---

Aside from that, I was just looking at the standings, reminiscing about 6 years ago, and just fell into a deep depression. Man, this team of ours has seasons the way they play -- from one extreme to the other. And right now, we are in the extremes of extremes on the negative side.

---

Anybody notice that Skinner's production has dried up? Maybe he misses Mo.

Edited by wxray1

i hope we dont start a fail for nail... lets see if somehow we can salvage the season... somehow

35-15-4 is what the team would need to do from here on out just to be in a position to fight for 8th spot. Do you honestly think this team has any chance of doing that? One of the worst things this team could do right now is go on another late season surge and end up just out once again and with no draft pick.

Did you guys hear Bob McKenzie tonight? He said CAR may consider trading either Staal or Ward for the rebuild because we look like we are so far from being a contender. I like McKenzie, but really? He went on to say that is just his opinion and that he hasn't actually heard anything like that around the league. Duh, Bob.

Besides, are we really that far away from being a contender? I don't think so. I think this team is right where it should be, considering we still don't have a first line.. but w/e.

Edited by jeromeo87

I heard it and I laughed. There is no way we are trading Ward or Staal. I don't really understand how trading away our top two players will make us a better team, anyway. Well, 2 of the top 3, I guess that is debatable.

Did I miss something? Nodl is pronounced 'Noodle'?

Those crazy Canadians reinvent the English language all the time. Who knows.

Edited by jb_online

Those crazy Canadians reinvent the English language all the time. Who knows.

In the game day thread I know you said you're in GA so you probably didn't see the FSC broadcast. John and Tripp said that Nodl notified them that as of yesterday it is pronounced the same way as "Noodle." That's how it is pronounced in Austria, where he's from.

In the game day thread I know you said you're in GA so you probably didn't see the FSC broadcast. John and Tripp said that Nodl notified them that as of yesterday it is pronounced the same way as "Noodle." That's how it is pronounced in Austria, where he's from.

Oh, thanks for the explanation!

It's like the two Kaberle's who both pronounce their last name differently. It's good that he had them correct it, I mean any man should addressed by his native pronunciation.

Did you guys hear Bob McKenzie tonight? He said CAR may consider trading either Staal or Ward for the rebuild because we look like we are so far from being a contender. I like McKenzie, but really? He went on to say that is just his opinion and that he hasn't actually heard anything like that around the league. Duh, Bob.

Besides, are we really that far away from being a contender? I don't think so. I think this team is right where it should be, considering we still don't have a first line.. but w/e.

Yep I saw that too.Was really shocked but even if its just a way/method maybe to get Staal and Cam headed in the right direction it may at least show that no one is safe on any team that are in the Canes situation.. If Gretsky can get traded anyone one can.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be too surprised if either was traded for the right deal. It's not what I expect from management, but I wouldn't be shocked. I know from speaking with other fans that a lot of getting tired of them and interested in seeing what they could bring in exchange. They are far from being our "top two" players as someone put it. Staal is only like our 4th or 5th most productive guy on offense and Cam's save percentage has dipped below 9. I could understand if they are questioning whether they want to build team around these 2 as we move forward especially with things that have recently developed.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be too surprised if either was traded for the right deal. It's not what I expect from management, but I wouldn't be shocked. I know from speaking with other fans that a lot of getting tired of them and interested in seeing what they could bring in exchange. They are far from being our "top two" players as someone put it. Staal is only like our 4th or 5th most productive guy on offense and Cam's save percentage has dipped below 9. I could understand if they are questioning whether they want to build team around these 2 as we move forward especially with things that have recently developed.

I think all us fans need to take a collective breath and see how things pan out with our new coach, new, system, new lines and likely some new players. Everyone is learning and everyone is making mistakes. Cam was under .900 last night because of a bad call. That happens but it does not mean he stunk up the building either. Harrison and Pitkanen are injured and we've got a 19 year old and a 24 year old coming off of mono playing extensive minutes. Cam is an elite goalie and he's going nowhere. Staal is starting to round into form and he will likely end up in the top 2 or 3 on the team in points by the end of the season. He is ABSOLUTELY one of our top player.

Good win for the team last night...although Dwyer on the first line screams for one of the Charlotte boys (Boychuck, Bowman, Dalpe) to get a shot with the team when we get back to the friendly confines...I hope.

Edited by Law-Dawg

I think all us fans need to take a collective breath and see how things pan out with our new coach, new, system, new lines and likely some new players. Everyone is learning and everyone is making mistakes. Cam was under .900 last night because of a bad call. That happens but it does not mean he stunk up the building either. Harrison and Pitkanen are injured and we've got a 19 year old and a 24 year old coming off of mono playing extensive minutes. Cam is an elite goalie and he's going nowhere. Staal is starting to round into form and he will likely end up in the top 2 or 3 on the team in points by the end of the season. He is ABSOLUTELY one of our top player.

Exactly. Plus, Staal has scored 7 pts in the last 5 games.. that't not too shabby..

Staal and Ward will be traded only if they ask for it. Just about all players go through rough patches. The percentage play is letting your stars find there way rather than exchanging you guy for a guy another team is giving up on. Plus you are trading them at their lowest value. No to that. And it WILL NOT HAPPEN.

We are in a different place now though, than when I was calling for the top line winger since....two years ago? But really right when we lost Cole to when it became obvious that the great hope Dalpe along with Poni and Stewart were not Cole replacements. JR's mistakes and inability to make a move when there was still time, has left us as a dire long-shot for the playoffs.

Now JR must make every move with an eye to the "after this year" future. This will likely block a move to bring in a top line forward, since there is much asked for in return and our assets mainly are the future. That ship has sailed. The only exception would be an unexpectedly available young star signed for a few more years (al la Bobby Ryan). But that is a loooooooooong shot.

Right now we are officially the 29th best team in the league based on point percentage. Columbus and Anaheim are behind us, but both have 3 games in hand. We are a hair away from #30.

I say JR should make moves to clear out some of the third liners and get Boychuk and Dalpe the heck up here for the rest of the year.

Allen or Gleason and Kabs can be moved at the deadline for picks, maybe even a first rounder. I keep Ruutu.

Let the kids play, and if we end up at or near the bottom, get that elite forward in the draft. Then we will truly know once and for all what to do with Boychuk and Dalpe.

Next year, if Boychuk and or Dalpe, Ryan Murphy, McBain, Faulk, Skinner, New Top pick, Sutter are all on the team, there will be lots of room in the cap to keep Ruutu and add two more key pieces.

We can be good next year, and really really good the year after that.

Edited by remkin

Dealing Ward, even if he asks to be dealt would be dumb. How often does a goalie of his capability come around and no less land here?

Staal, I'm starting to feel less and less of a connection to. I know he puts up a ton of points but he's doing things that grind my gears from a captains standpoint. Some people enjoyed his mouthing off penatly last night "he's showing fire" as some put it....at 2-1, how many would have enjoyed it if the game became 2-2 and was a totally different game? I, myself would have been infuriated. That penalty could have changed that game with our fragile team psyche. Your captain doesn't put you in those situations.