The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Lastly, I'm with you on Faulk, he just looks to be seamless in his transition to NHL ice. That kid could make the club, no doubt, and from there ya never know.

That's what kind of got me going on this whole thing again. If one does put Faulk in there then we clearly have too many defensemen. It opens up the need for a trade, which starts one thinking what dman would go, who would we get, etc.

I think it's still probably not likely pre-season, but at least we should have some flexibility. Then again, if a GM out there has a top 6 forward and has a desirous feeling about any of our defenseman other than Faulk and Murphy....

ruutu still has been nursing a injury.. i wouldnt give him too many minutes till hes 100 percent.. So, maybe i missed it, are 9 dmen going to make this team to start? Like to see a good quality win on road, to finish preseason..

I listened to John Forslund interview on the Fan after the game last night. He seemed to think we will carry 9 Dmen into the season. He indicated that Faulk could make the team and it will be a tough decision on Murphy after the 9 game limit.

I've seen enough during this training camp to affirm my belief a true #2 center continues to be the big hole in the top-6. If I trade a defensman, that's where I'm looking to improve.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I may be in the minority, but I think Sutter should be allowed to center the 2nd line for a while.

I also still firmly believe that Murphy will be sent back to the OHL, Faulk will stick around, and Joslin ends up on IR by next Friday.

I did not see the game last night. I have not read about it yet. But we had 3 shots in the first period, 21 for the game vs. 43 for them.

Whether it's a first line winger or a really nice second line center, (which will at least push Jussi up) let's go for it.

Put Faulk in there, trade some guys and get that piece.

Dalpe can become a first line winger. He is not one now.

JR wanted to see what he had in the preseason. Had he replaced Cole with Stewart, Poni, one of the yutes?

Well I think that the answer is in.

I may be in the minority, but I think Sutter should be allowed to center the 2nd line for a while.

I also still firmly believe that Murphy will be sent back to the OHL, Faulk will stick around, and Joslin ends up on IR by next Friday.

You're in a minority on Sutter, but I'm with you. I've been saying it for a year now. That fees a quality player for Staal (I suggest Jussi) and move Dalpe down where ha can develop. He'll be a good one IMO.

Faulk has made the team, and Murphy is going to Kitchener.

I'll take a wait and see on the forwards until the season starts. Right now it doesn't look good.

Sutter IS capable of more offense, and he knows it. Whether or not Maurice is comfortable allowing him to do anything but check against everyone's top line, is another story. But I think with two capable wingers, Sutter could easily be the #2 center. Saddled with LaRose and Dwyer/Tlusty/etc he isn't going to ring up 50 points though.

Sutter IS capable of more offense, and he knows it. Whether or not Maurice is comfortable allowing him to do anything but check against everyone's top line, is another story. But I think with two capable wingers, Sutter could easily be the #2 center. Saddled with LaRose and Dwyer/Tlusty/etc he isn't going to ring up 50 points though.

Exactly, and the reason I believe the #2 center slot is the hole. I might add JR to the list of those framing Sutter's role, at least in his comments publicly, particularly when Sutter's contract was firmed up going forward during the summer.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Jussi moving to center, is faceoff percentage worth what will likely be a 20 point decline in his scoring? We could win faceoffs 80% or better and we still don't have the offensive talent to score goals.

You don't just walk into center and put up points if your used to wing.

Edited by legend-1

I'm with a few others and I agree they don't need a second line center, we have a very capable one in Brandon Sutter. What they need is a Matt Cullen type 3rd line center who is versatile enough to play center and wing, and jump up into the top 6 when needed.

The erratic lines are frustrating but I'm not sure I'd be blaming it all on Maurice. When your top 6 aren't scoring and the games start mattering 4 days from now, something drastic needs to be done. Anyone have any better ideas how to jump start Skinner, Staal and the other top 6?

I'm with a few others and I agree they don't need a second line center, we have a very capable one in Brandon Sutter.

I'm with you on thinking that Sutter has a lot of offensive upside and could do it, but the Canes still need another center for either the second or third line.

I'm with you on thinking that Sutter has a lot of offensive upside and could do it, but the Canes still need another center for either the second or third line.

So if you think Sutter has alot of offensive upside and could do it, why would you think that the Canes need a center for either the 2nd or 3rd lines? Seems to me if he's capable and has the offensive upside, they'd only be needing a 3rd line center, and the 2nd line center would be filled.

We have one: Tim Brent. The guy scored 8g/12a on 4th line duties for Toronto last year. He's played well in the pre-season here. Why isn't he considered the 3rd line center? Riley Nash has apparently impressed enough to hang around, so make him the 4th line center.

I was wondering how long it would take for Brent to pop out in the conversation as a potential third line center.

Sutter averaged 16-18 minutes a game last year while Brent's average was 10-12, and he only got close to Sutter's average in 8 games. I admit I don't know a lot about Tim Brent, but I wonder if he can handle that additional icetime, particularly playing against the other team's top line night in and night out?

Similarly, when we acquired him it was my impression he was brought in to be a role player on the fourth line, by winning face offs and killing penalties. I'm not sure Nash fills that role. Sutter2 may fit that role more closely than Nash.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Since they're running out of time to set the line combos and find some chemistry, what if they used the preseason a little differently than they do?

Instead of wasting preseason games on young players they know don't have much of a shot at making the big club, why not allow them to come and participate in camp to get the NHL experience but only play them in one game and not more than 2-3 of them on the roster at a time. This would allow the vets and the few bubble guys who really might have a shot at making the team more chances to play together and find some chemistry before they get into a situation like this year where they're scrambling to find something that might work a few days out.

Some of these guys haven't played more than 2-3 games because so many of the Checkers were getting their ice time. The guys who really needed it were either sitting in the press box or not playing where they were best suited to. Too bad camp can't be a week longer.

Since they're running out of time to set the line combos and find some chemistry, what if they used the preseason a little differently than they do?

Instead of wasting preseason games on young players they know don't have much of a shot at making the big club, why not allow them to come and participate in camp to get the NHL experience but only play them in one game and not more than 2-3 of them on the roster at a time. This would allow the vets and the few bubble guys who really might have a shot at making the team more chances to play together and find some chemistry before they get into a situation like this year where they're scrambling to find something that might work a few days out.

Some of these guys haven't played more than 2-3 games because so many of the Checkers were getting their ice time. The guys who really needed it were either sitting in the press box or not playing where they were best suited to. Too bad camp can't be a week longer.

I was wondering the same thing.

So if you think Sutter has alot of offensive upside and could do it, why would you think that the Canes need a center for either the 2nd or 3rd lines? Seems to me if he's capable and has the offensive upside, they'd only be needing a 3rd line center, and the 2nd line center would be filled.

I didn't say we needed a 2nd and a 3rd line center. If Sutter is moved up, then that still leaves us one center short.

Some of these guys haven't played more than 2-3 games and because so many of the Checkers were getting their ice time. The guys who really needed it were either sitting in the press box or not playing where they were best suited to. Too bad camp can't be a week longer.

Some of the teams have a split squad during pre-season. I like that idea because you can evaluate the utes while the vets get their ice time.

Here is what I think. It is a little late in the preseason to start playing musical chairs with the lines. It isn't like we are shifting a player. We are trying out complete new line combos. Shifting this guy here and that guy there and oh wait a minute lets try Nash at wing. We brought Poni in to play with Staal. Let him play there. If we think Dalpe has the speed to help that line then put him there and if not put Jussi there. If Dalpe does play top line then put Skinner/Ruutu/Jokinen back together. Let LaRose skate left wing on the third with Sutter and Stewart and let Brent and Dwyer do what they do best on the fourth line and hope Tlusty can contribute.

Tell them these are our lines. The cavalry isn't coming to rescue you. Do what we brought you here for. Score goals and win games.

Then go out and find that center so Sutter can play on Staals wing because he is probable the best option at center or wing we have.

I still think Dalpe could be a very good 2nd, or 3rd line center if they would just let him play there.

Or move Sutter, & Brent up one line, & let Nash be the 4th line center. He will only get 5 min a game under Coach Mo.

Dalpe would be a waste on the 4th line.

Edited by rocheccw

Here is what I think. It is a little late in the preseason to start playing musical chairs with the lines. It isn't like we are shifting a player. We are trying out complete new line combos. Shifting this guy here and that guy there and oh wait a minute lets try Nash at wing. We brought Poni in to play with Staal. Let him play there. If we think Dalpe has the speed to help that line then put him there and if not put Jussi there. If Dalpe does play top line then put Skinner/Ruutu/Jokinen back together. Let LaRose skate left wing on the third with Sutter and Stewart and let Brent and Dwyer do what they do best on the fourth line and hope Tlusty can contribute.

Tell them these are our lines. The cavalry isn't coming to rescue you. Do what we brought you here for. Score goals and win games.

Then go out and find that center so Sutter can play on Staals wing because he is probable the best option at center or wing we have.

I totally agree. Mo has to make a commitment, and he shouldn't be second-guessing based on only a couple of games that they played together in pre-season.

Lines do not come together immediately. Everyone will have to have some patience, before there are calls to blow up the lines.