The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

lol wow what a disaster of a season. I thought we were on the rise after last season. So disappointing.. I can hardly stand to watch the games anymore. It's not if we're going to lose it's a matter of how we're going to lose. So disappointing. Thanks for being a cheap skate PK. Good luck with season ticket sales next season...

lol wow what a disaster of a season. I thought we were on the rise after last season. So disappointing.. I can hardly stand to watch the games anymore. It's not if we're going to lose it's a matter of how we're going to lose. So disappointing. Thanks for being a cheap skate PK. Good luck with season ticket sales next season...

well, just enjoy the games and the victories when they come... Not much more to do... I just hope when i see canes in beantown, they can win that one..

well, just enjoy the games and the victories when they come... Not much more to do... I just hope when i see canes in beantown, they can win that one..

I'm with you dinz. Just enjoy the games. Watch what happens under Muller and enjoy a success when we win. Still lots of season left and lots of hockey to watch.

So today in practice according to tweets we have Ruu and Jussi with Staal, Bowman and LaRose with Sutter and Poni and Tlusty with Brent

Skinner skating with no contact jersey and Dwyer still not cleared for contact.

I guess if something else doesn't change we plan to call up a center from Charlotte.

x

Well its about time that Muller stopped running out the same lines that Mo pitched. Staal needs a setup type player and Jussi has delivered in the past. If this didn't happen I'd prefer they put Nodl up there with him. The Staal, Dalpe, Bowman, Tlusty, etc. combinations had no playmaker. That made thing worse for Staal, not better.

I like the Sutter line as 2nd line, but not Rosie in the top 6 (again). I'd prefer Poni on that right wing instead.

The 3rd line is a combo of JR signings, so he can see the damage in place from the off season (Tlusty, Brent, Poni) instead of getting a top 6 forward. I suspect the 4th line of Bre. Sutter w/ Nodl and Stewart will outperform the 3rd line.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Kirk trying something else, but not expecting immediate improvement. Now only if he'd try something else with shootouts.

Well its about time that Muller stopped running out the same lines that Mo pitched. Staal needs a setup type player and Jussi has delivered in the past. If this didn't happen I'd prefer they put Nodl up there with him. The Staal, Dalpe, Bowman, Tlusty, etc. combinations had no playmaker. That made thing worse for Staal, not better.

I like the Sutter line as 2nd line, but not Rosie in the top 6 (again). I'd prefer Poni on that right wing instead.

The 3rd line is a combo of JR signings, so he can see the damage in place from the off season (Tlusty, Brent, Poni) instead of getting a top 6 forward. I suspect the 4th line of Bre. Sutter w/ Nodl and Stewart will outperform the 3rd line.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Kirk trying something else, but not expecting immediate improvement. Now only if he'd try something else with shootouts.

It looks like Muller is trying to figure this team out and how to put the puzzle together. From what I have read it appears Muller is putting his veterans up top and telling them to make it work.

I wonder if they are still going to put Sutter's line out with the other teams best.. Interesting shuffle. I like it. I had just mentioned wanting Jokinen on the wing.

I wonder if they are still going to put Sutter's line out with the other teams best.. Interesting shuffle. I like it. I had just mentioned wanting Jokinen on the wing.

You sure did. I also like Jussi on wing. Staal now has the best two (healthy) forwards we have. Time to play like a first line.

You sure did. I also like Jussi on wing. Staal now has the best two (healthy) forwards we have. Time to play like a first line.

I'm still a little cautious; Staal and Ruutu have never really shown much chemistry together on the ice. Jokinen and Staal is another story, however. We shall see.

It looks like Muller is trying to figure this team out and how to put the puzzle together. From what I have read it appears Muller is putting his veterans up top and telling them to make it work.

I agree. He seems to be putting responsibility and expectation on Staal and Rosie (the shootout). Up to them to deliver.

Production rates at the half point...

Just thought it was as good of a time as any for an update.

Like previous numbers posted, I have combined even strength and power play stats to calculate the numbers (Shorthanded stats are not included. Yes, this hurts some players that have short-handed goals/points.)

The production rate reflects goals + points per 60 minutes played.

(i.e. goals + points / toi * 60)

(i.e. goals count twice as much as assists.)

This only shows production - obviously players bring more to the game than this will indicate.

I have included the production rate from last season (after the player's name) for players who were here. Nodl's numbers include games played with PHI.

After 41:

1st41- 1st20- 1st10 *=less than 100 minutes (last season)

3.82 - 4.14 - 4.80 Jeff Skinner (4.12)

3.27 - 2.31 - 2.31 *Brett Sutter

3.19 - 3.09 - 3.12 Tuomo Ruutu (3.32)

3.01 - 2.81 - 3.75 Anthony Stewart

2.86 - -.-- - -.-- *Riley Nash

2.53 - 3.24 - 3.25 Jussi Jokinen (3.71)

2.53 - 2.88 - 2.35 Chad LaRose (2.07)

2.44 - -.-- - -.-- Drayson Bowman (0.27)

2.41 - 1.44 - 3.38 Tim Brent

2.37 - 1.70 - 2.57 Eric Staal (3.72)

2.34 - 1.83 - 2.50 Jiri Tlusty (1.93)

1.86 - 1.17 - 2.34 Brandon Sutter (2.12)

1.83 - -.-- - -.-- Andreas Nodl

1.59 - 0.00 - 0.00 Zac Dalpe (3.56)

1.15 - 0.00 - 0.00 Zach Boychuk (2.67)

1.06 - 1.40 - 1.56 Alexei Ponikarovsky

0.96 - 0.45 - 0.88 Patrick Dwyer (1.45)

As a comparison, this is last season's numbers after game 41 (and the previous full season when available):

Last season:

1st41- 1st30 *=less than 100 minutes (previous season)

4.24 - 4.04 Eric Staal (3.88)

4.16 - 1.30 Zac Dalpe

4.09 - 3.62 Jeff Skinner

3.81 - 3.33 Tuomo Ruutu (3.33)

3.75 - -.-- Zach Boychuk (2.12)

3.42 - 3.16 Jussi Jokinen (4.19)

2.77 - 2.69 Sergei Samsonov (2.68)

2.68 - 2.24 Erik Cole (2.47)

2.64 - 3.12 *Jon Matsumoto

2.32 - 1.89 Patrick Dwyer (1.57)

2.23 - 2.23 Jiri Tlusty (1.86)

1.92 - 2.63 Brandon Sutter (3.07)

1.87 - 2.27 Chad LaRose (2.66)

0.88 - 1.56 Ryan Carter

0.79 - 0.75 Troy Bodie

Production rates at the half point...

That's some pretty cool number crunching.

Too bad Bran. Sutter gets a bit hosed on the shorty thing. Still, we know the story on that separately, so it is good to keep it out. What pops at ya is Staal. As a top line, offensive guy, his number sticks out like a sore thumb.

Canes Reassign Drayson Bowman to Charlotte Forward played in 11 games during most recent NHL recall

Saturday, 01.07.2012 / 9:40 AM/ News

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned forward Drayson Bowman to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Bowman, 22, played in each of Carolina’s 11 games since his Dec. 11 recall from Charlotte. He has notched two goals and earned three assists (5 points) in 13 NHL games this season with the Hurricanes. Born in Grand Rapids, MI, but raised in Littleton, CO, Bowman (6’0”, 190 lbs.) is in his third professional season and has scored 37 goals and earned 39 assists (76 points) in 130 career AHL regular-season games. This season, he has scored eight goals and earned six assists (14 points) in 23 games with the Checkers. Carolina drafted Bowman in the third round, 72nd overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Looks like Dwyer is ready :)

Looks like Dwyer is ready :)

Ugh. I'd rather have Bowman here than Dwyer. I just don't see Dwyer as an offensive weapon at all. Send him down and if someone picks him up on re-entry waivers, so be it. I see Bowman as a future top 9 forward on this team. I think we ought to have kept him here to give him the balance of the season.

Im torn here, bowman, has that long reach and has potential.. Patty is like larose, but doesnt score, but is scappy for his size in the corners.

JohnForslund John Forslund

Justin Peters will go in the nets tonight. Pat Dwyer will draw in. Skinner with team, continues solid progress.

What does "draw in" mean?

I think it's like "falling in" or coming together with. Basically, Dwyer will be in the line up.

I thought it meant he was penciled in...or something like that :hide:

John Forslund clarified since I wasn't the only one wondering what that meant...."he plays".

That's some pretty cool number crunching.

Too bad Bran. Sutter gets a bit hosed on the shorty thing. Still, we know the story on that separately, so it is good to keep it out. What pops at ya is Staal. As a top line, offensive guy, his number sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thanks. What actually stood out to me was how high Stewart is. He seems to get a lot out of his minutes, even if it is rather quietly.

As for Staal, yeah, he has really struggled, and the numbers show that. But looking at his numbers just since the coaching change (through yesterday's game) and he's at 4.71. It's a small sample, but hopefully a sign that things are going in the right direction for him now.

Muller talks about line changes and more

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1112/muller010512.mp3

Thanks for the post. Don't get me wrong, I know from experience that you don't know when you are doing this, but the "ya know"s from that sound bite are so annoying... again, I know he didn't mean to say that 4,000 times in the interview, but wow. Ya know?

Im torn here, bowman, has that long reach and has potential.. Patty is like larose, but doesnt score, but is scappy for his size in the corners.

So I'll elaborate a little bit. We know who Patrick Dwyer is. He's a scrappy 4th line player who can give you a little energy on the 3rd line when needed. He's not a scorer. He's been on this team for 2+ years. He is bringing nothing to this lineup that we don't already have with LaRose. In fact, LaRose is actually doing pretty well scoring goals this season. Maybe the hope is that Dwyer becomes another LaRose eventually.

However, we have 30+ games left in this season. I don't understand why we don't have Boychuk and Bowman up and playing on the 3rd line with Sutter or Brent. Give them the balance of the season and see if they are going to be top 9 players. We haven't seen these guys get an extended look like that yet. They come up, they play a few games, the go down. Usually they're on the 4th line at least under Mo.

So I'm confused. I would send Dwyer down and if he gets scooped up in re-entry waivers, big whoop. What have you lost? He's not a scoring machine. I would do the same with Tlusty. I'm sorry, but the guy has been given an extended look at the pro level and is not going to be a top 9 forward.

It's time for Boychuk and Bowman to get a nice long look in the top 9. Why not now?

Thanks for the post. Don't get me wrong, I know from experience that you don't know when you are doing this, but the "ya know"s from that sound bite are so annoying... again, I know he didn't mean to say that 4,000 times in the interview, but wow. Ya know?

Ya know. I know! lol

A. Dwyer, Poni, Stewart, Tlusty, Brent, Nodl, Bowman, Dalpe, Brett Sutter, Boychuk.

B. Jokinen, Skinner, Ruutu, Staal, Brand. Sutter.

C. (LaRose)

The hope was that someone, anyone, from column A. would legitimately move into column B. Thus far not one player has.

So clear our some space from column A, and get 2 new guys for column B. (And add one solid shut down dman).

Since we don't have to compete in the realigned powerhouse division next year, maybe we sneak in.

Edited by remkin