The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

What a joke. What are you basing this on? Your hockey expertise?

Yes. Name me one playoff team that has a 2nd line center who has 18 points and a -4. Defensive centers are not mean to be 2nd line centers unless they can put up 60 points on a consistent basis. The kid will get better but he is not the 2nd coming like many of you proclaim. You can easily buy centers that are good in the FO circle, can kill penalties, and put up 40 points on a consistent basis for right around the 2m range and those are your 3rd line centers.

As of right now Sutter is a 4th line center. 3rd line at best until he proves that he can be a consistent scorer. Which he has not.

Edited by bluedevil58

If they trade Gleason and Allen they now have a huge hole on defense to fill. Top 4 stay-at-home guys are hard to come by and can be very expensive, especially in the summer as FA's.

The question is. Is Gleason a top 4 stay at home d-man?

The question is. Is Gleason a top 4 stay at home d-man?

He is here due to lack of better options regardless of his play. Not sure where he'd fall on other teams but I suspect he would be a top 4. I bet he brings his game up to a new level and feels rejuvenated once he's playing for a team with a shot at a long post season.

Yes. Name me one playoff team that has a 2nd line center who has 18 points and a -4. Defensive centers are not mean to be 2nd line centers unless they can put up 60 points on a consistent basis. The kid will get better but he is not the 2nd coming like many of you proclaim. You can easily buy centers that are good in the FO circle, can kill penalties, and put up 40 points on a consistent basis for right around the 2m range and those are your 3rd line centers.

As of right now Sutter is a 4th line center. 3rd line at best until he proves that he can be a consistent scorer. Which he has not.

I have to disagree. You can't compare Sutter's points skating mostly 3rd line and PK time against a second line center who has been skating that position all season. The 3rd line center is not going to put up those numbers. Sutter has been consistent and very good on our 3rd line.

Does he have the skill and talent to be a 2nd line center? I think so but until you slot him there for a period of time you really don't know. I would think on a loaded playoff bound team he probable would be third line. What is wrong with that?

As for 4th line why would any team want to put a guy like Sutter on a fourth line. I would argue we and many other teams are better with a Sutter type on the ice then sitting for most of the game on fourth line. If there is one position he doesn't fit it is fourth line but I'll bet if you asked him to play there he would without complaint. It just appears to be the type of character player he is.

Joslin is due to finish his conditioning stint in Charlotte by the 17th at the latest so could this be a target date far any kind of move?

The issue is that many of you think it's ok to have someone that has 18 points in 43 games and is a -4 be our 2nd line center. It's almost as if we are content with sub mediocrity due to consecutive losing seasons and a lot of people forget how good a 2nd line center actually needs to be in order to make the playoffs. Our cup Run we had Staal, Brindy, Weight, and Adams centering our lines.

The previous cup run we had Francis, Brindy, and Vasicek(?). The point is all winning teams have their top 2 centers who can score and put up points. 2nd line Center is a critical position and if we play Sutter there before he is ready and proves himself as a consistent scorer we will keep missing the playoffs. I was fine with that "what if this works out" game talk this previous off-season with Poni, Stewart, and Dalpe(our glorified 2nd line center). Look where that got us. Look at the standings. I'm not fine with playing the "what if he works out" game anymore. I learned my lesson.

As of right now, we do not have the solid 2nd line center. Jokinen fills in but is better on the wings IMO. Until we make a move to land us a 60 point/season 2nd line center. We will continue to miss the playoffs time and time again. I'm all for playing Sutter on the 2nd line because we really have no other options. But I'm not fine going into this off-season thinking Sutter is the answer to our 2nd line woes. Especially if he doesn't start scoring. i hope I eat my words. But many of us have forgotten what a good 2nd line center actually needs to do. getting a 60 point center is me being generous. Ideally they need to score more points than that in order to be successful.

The issue is that many of you think it's ok to have someone that has 18 points in 43 games and is a -4 be our 2nd line center. It's almost as if we are content with sub mediocrity due to consecutive losing seasons and a lot of people forget how good a 2nd line center actually needs to be in order to make the playoffs. Our cup Run we had Staal, Brindy, Weight, and Adams centering our lines.

The issue is right here ^. Not sure why you classify all our opinions as a blanket response (or knee jerk reaction) based on a few individual opinions. If you take the time to read what people write, you'd see that in fact, many of us don't think as you state we do.

For example, and its been explained by a few now....

Not everyone thinks its ok to have someone that has 18 points in 43 games and is a -4 be the 2nd line center and as you state, be content with sub mediocrity. What you're blatantly ignoring to further your opinion is the fact that Sutter hasn't had the opportunity to see what he can do with 2nd line minutes consistently. I'm afraid your samples aren't exactly an apples to apples comparison and since others are providing you with facts to back up their opinions, why is it you feel Sutter is only 4th line material and playing above his head as the 3rd line center?

But here's the good news, Muller feels that Sutter IS 2nd line center material and is giving him his shot albeit with Dwyer and Nodl, not exactly proven 2nd line talent either.

Bs....

It cost us 3 mil to have Cullen on our 3rd line not even second line and those types of players rarely make it to the market because teams actually want to keep them.

Edited by legend-1

Yes. Name me one playoff team that has a 2nd line center who has 18 points and a -4.

Nashville (Mike Fisher), among others. As others have said, it isn't even a fair comparison. Look at Getslaf's stats. In your book he's a definite 4th liner, or maybe an AHL candidate. Bah!

As for the much beloved Mr. Cullen (2nd line, or Brodziak, 3rd):

Player Team Pos GP G A P +/-

1 Mikko Koivu MIN C 38 9 24 33 +10

2 Matt Cullen MIN C 41 10 13 23 -1

3 Pierre-Marc Bouchard MIN C 37 9 13 22 -1

4 Kyle Brodziak MIN C 42 11 9 20 -7

Now are Sutter's numbers far off? Want to adjust for a team -5 (Minn) vs a team -34 (Canes). Really big difference - uh no!

Edited by Manwolf

Ruutu - re-sign. As others have stated, moving him just means more holes in our top 6. HOWEVER, we need a hometown discount. He's making $4.4M this year, and if you'll remember we didn't sign 1L winger Cole for that kind of money.

Gleason - trade. I agree with others that he just doesn't appear like he wants to be here. He had a great experience with the Olympic team, just had a child, and is playing for a team that appears to not be going in the direction he would prefer. I think he wants a chance at a Cup. I think he was paired with Corvo for years and now he's gone as well. I suspect we'll move him.

Allen - re-sign. I was one who advocated moving him because he's in the last year of his deal, but he's been awesome this year. I love his grit. I love the way he came into the season in shape and has played with an edge all season.

Poni - trade. I think he's shown he can score sporadically and someone will offer something (a pick probably) for him. He's streaky enough that someone on the playoff edge will take a chance on him getting hot for them when they need it the most.

Dwyer/Tlusty - dump them. I've said it before and I'll say it again: put them on waivers, move them to Charlotte. If someone picks them up, oh well. They've been given sufficient time in the top 9 to prove they can be scorers... and they're not. I want some combo of Bowman, Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman up here for the rest of the season and these two guys are blocking the way. GOOD-BYE.

We need a 1L winger to play with Jussi and Staal. I look at Philly tonight, and when Jagr/Giroux/Hartnell are on the ice they are a dominant team. Would love to have that sense that we have a line that can go on the ice and dominate the opponent. I like giving Sutter the chance to prove he can be that 2nd line center. If he can put up some points, slot him between Skinner and Ruutu. If he can't, slide him back to 3rd line center and go pick up a 2nd line center in free agency. I really think Nodl-Brent-Stewart will be our 4th line next year and I like the mix of grit/scoring ability.

The D needs help. I like Faulk. As I said, I like Allen. I like Pits. McBain is struggling. I can see him being part of a deal if a major piece is coming back our way. With Murphy iin the wings, McBain could be trade-bait. I think Gleason is gone. I like Harrison. It'll be interesting to see what we do with Joslin; he's really been the odd man out this season, with the illness and now needing a conditioning stint. I doubt he's worth much on the trading block right now.

Here's an idea... One of our multi-millionaires not playing up to his contract steps up and plays better and that takes the critics pressure off the other multi-millionaires not playing up to his contract.

I'm tired of acquiring 3rd rounders for UFA's if we ever acquired what we thought the player was worth as a rental then sure but losing a month of talking time to a known NHL player rather then getting a pick for a guy whose got a snowballs chance of making it....not worth it.

Corvo for a 4th last year? Is there really much of a use in that?

Nashville (Mike Fisher), among others. As others have said, it isn't even a fair comparison. Look at Getslaf's stats. In your book he's a definite 4th liner, or maybe an AHL candidate. Bah!

As for the much beloved Mr. Cullen (2nd line, or Brodziak, 3rd):

Player Team Pos GP G A P +/-

1 Mikko Koivu MIN C 38 9 24 33 +10

2 Matt Cullen MIN C 41 10 13 23 -1

3 Pierre-Marc Bouchard MIN C 37 9 13 22 -1

4 Kyle Brodziak MIN C 42 11 9 20 -7

Now are Sutter's numbers far off? Want to adjust for a team -5 (Minn) vs a team -34 (Canes). Really big difference - uh no!

Hold on just a minute. How can one compared Gez to Sutter? You are honestly telling me a guy that has a 69, 92, and 79 point seasons 3 years in a row equates to a Sutter or that I think he is a 4th line player by my "logic"? Getz is way better than Sutter...That's a bad comment. Both Koivu and Cullen have put up 50 point seasons. Something Sutter has yet to do. Until the guy proves he can score he IS NOT 2nd line material.

On a more positive note, I did really like Samson last night. The guy really played an aggressive game and looked great out there...

Hold on just a minute. How can one compared Gez to Sutter? You are honestly telling me a guy that has a 69, 92, and 79 point seasons 3 years in a row equates to a Sutter or that I think he is a 4th line player by my "logic"? Getz is way better than Sutter...That's a bad comment. Both Koivu and Cullen have put up 50 point seasons. Something Sutter has yet to do. Until the guy proves he can score he IS NOT 2nd line material.

On a more positive note, I did really like Samson last night. The guy really played an aggressive game and looked great out there...

He put up 40 as a second line center in his rookie year when Cullen was still handling the 3rd line. Since then he's been on the 3rd line where your not going to score a ton.

How the heck are you supposed to prove you can score on the checking line? The only line that's not called a scoring line, the frickin checking line.

He was making fun of you with the Getz comment and you took it and made it funnier by the way.

He put up 40 as a second line center in his rookie year when Cullen was still handling the 3rd line. Since then he's been on the 3rd line where your not going to score a ton.

How the heck are you supposed to prove you can score on the checking line? The only line that's not called a scoring line, the frickin checking line.

He was making fun of you with the Getz comment and you took it and made it funnier by the way.

Until Sutter can prove that he can put up solid numbers on a consistent basis. He has no business what so ever being on the 2nd line.

1/11 Practice Update

**Jeff Skinner has been cleared for contact. Happy that he's feeling good but hope its not too soon.

• Eric Staal and Jaroslav Spacek not skating today.
  • Skinner working with Ruutu, Tlusty in Staal's absence. Other lines remain the same from last night.
  • LaRose also not skating today with his upper-body concern.
  • Kirk Muller said after practice that Jeff Skinner could play tomorrow night, depending on how he responds to today's practice.
  • Chad LaRose will not make the trip with the team to Tampa Bay. Eric Staal and Jaroslave Spacek will play, despite not skating today.

Until Sutter can prove that he can put up solid numbers on a consistent basis. He has no business what so ever being on the 2nd line.

lol...

With that mentality I have no idea why you want to see youngins on the team because unless they put NHL numbers consistently they don't belong here.

You don't know what you got if you keep playing them on the checking line.

Edited by legend-1

1/11 Practice Update

**Jeff Skinner has been cleared for contact. Happy that he's feeling good but hope its not too soon.

• Eric Staal and Jaroslav Spacek not skating today.
  • Skinner working with Ruutu, Tlusty in Staal's absence. Other lines remain the same from last night.
  • LaRose also not skating today with his upper-body concern.
  • Kirk Muller said after practice that Jeff Skinner could play tomorrow night, depending on how he responds to today's practice.
  • Chad LaRose will not make the trip with the team to Tampa Bay. Eric Staal and Jaroslave Spacek will play, despite not skating today.

does this mean he is now a GTD?

does this mean he is now a GTD?

MSmithCanes Kirk Muller said after practice that Jeff Skinner could play tomorrow night, depending on how he responds to today's practice.

MSmithCanes Chad LaRose will not make the trip with the team to Tampa Bay. Eric Staal and Jaroslave Spacek will play, despite not skating today.

Jeff Skinner

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1112/skinner011112.mp3

Kirk Muller

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1112/muller011112.mp3

Loudest and proudest....give me a break - this market is not for hockey. 77% capacity v Philly and 80ish% this past Friday v Buffalo (half that 80% were Sabres supporters) is embarassing to the team, league and market. Hurricanes promote themselves as loudest and proudest in NHL...please. And...dont even get me started on the National Anthem issues. Hate to say all this since I have been a season ticket holder for 5 yrs but this is not a market for hockey and thats a shame.

yeah i agree some of those statements are a bit ridiculous. and unfortunately you may be right about the market. and on a side note - why does eric staal feel he needs to take a day off today while everyone else practices?

Loudest and proudest....give me a break - this market is not for hockey. 77% capacity v Philly and 80ish% this past Friday v Buffalo (half that 80% were Sabres supporters) is embarassing to the team, league and market. Hurricanes promote themselves as loudest and proudest in NHL...please. And...dont even get me started on the National Anthem issues. Hate to say all this since I have been a season ticket holder for 5 yrs but this is not a market for hockey and thats a shame.

[/quote

very bad troll attempt. 2 trolls are at it above guys.

Edited by bluedevil58