*No Dwyer or LaRose today

Practice update for 10/4 from Michael Smith

Ruutu -Staal - Skinner

Dalpe - Sutter - Ponikarovsky

Stewart - Jokinen - Tlusty

Brent - Nash - ?

Ugh. I mean, really, ugh.

Why would you waste Jokinen's playmaking ability as a 3rd line center? Good Lord Mo is going to get us crucified...

Go with:

Jokinen - Staal - Poni

Skinner - Sutter - Ruutu

Stewart/LaRose - Brent - Dalpe

Tlusty - Nash - Dwyer

Problem solved. The top two lines get a solid center with experienced scoring ability, a winger with play-making ability and a big body that can go to the net/lay some checks.

Dalpe gets a chance to show he can skate on a scoring line, albeit top 9. If Brent can't cut it at 3rd line minutes, start looking for a 3rd line center via trade. We have too many d-men anyway.

Practice update for 10/4 from Michael Smith

Ruutu -Staal - Skinner

Dalpe - Sutter - Ponikarovsky

Stewart - Jokinen - Tlusty

Brent - Nash - ?

You'd think Mo, Brindy and Lewis had their minds made up by now and use the remaining days to let lines and defensive pairings finally get (re-) acquainted with each other. I can't see how all this line shuffling and taking yet another look at a couple of very average, new players, is supposed to be productive. It's not like they still haven't figured out each of their strengths and weaknesses. To me, Mo is still way too inclined to mess with his entire lineup just to accomondate a couple of players and I think it's a waste of the little pre-season time they have left. Every powerplay and penatykill is going to disrupt his lines for at least one or two shifts anyways and assessing players during regular season games is a lot more telling than during practice.

Hate to say it. But get ready for a very long and very disappointing season.

It certainly doesn't look promising. An ugly pre-season, a lot of prospects not capable of stepping up, a lot of special teams not capable (period).

It's frustrating. Last season was frustrating. I look at this team and I think 1 or 2 more quality pieces would get us over the hump. But I just don't think we're going to get them.

Edit: That was my pessimistic persona. My optimistic persona says we needed 1 or 2 pieces and we added Dalpe and Faulk and Murphy. And that we need to give them time to gel and see if they're the real deal. Sigh... Can Mo coach this team to over-achieve? That's the question.

Edited by witchking-ch1

It certainly doesn't look promising. An ugly pre-season, a lot of prospects not capable of stepping up, a lot of special teams not capable (period)

I thought the penalty kill was the lone bright spot. Could've been Boucher and Ward though.

In order to improve upon last season I think it's common knowledge that the 'Canes need to score at the same rate or better than last season, limit shots, and convert on the PP. With all the line shuffling and regulars not playing it doesn't seem as if they have improved on any of the needs. Of course it was just preseason but I must admit I am somewhat concerned given my previous claims that it was "just preseason."

Anyway here is an interesting read from Puck Daddy. It's a bunch of predictions from Wysh and company. Some have predicted Dalpe to win ROY and one even predicted Coach Mo as the first coach to go.

http://t.co/vX5I8xiS

EDIT: I know it's a funky looking link, I guess it's the phone friendly Twitter version.

Edited by jfive

I'm as depressed as everyone else. The lack of PP is really alarming. Consider this: the ONLY PP goal in the preseason was basically a 5 on 3. Well, it came in the seconds after a 5 on 3 went to 5 on 4. Alarming.

But the contrarian in me has hope. Remember Fall 2006, and the optimism? Remember Fall 2009, and the optimism of the "dream team" combined with the joy of the recent playoffs?

Everyone had their heads in the sand (and maybe somewhere else).

This time, there is proper perspective. Maybe, just maybe the team leaders and coaches will take this and work with it. I hope so. They can't afford a lousy start.

I'll leave all the line analysis, Mo analysis, rookie analysis up to you guys. I'm just saying that nobody is giddy this time. (OK, maybe on goal tending -- hope that doesn't bite us in the butt.) There is perspective. Just hoping the perspective turns into something tangible (JR? A needed trade?), or like maybe at least a .500 record after the tough October start.

Edited by wxray1

I think we all have hope wxray1. I think most of us, at least I am, are hoping this team begins the season and the first month on a high note. My frustration at the moment is the last minute tinkering. If its broken fix it but at this point we haven't had time to know how the lines will work together.

At this point I don't care what the lines look like. I do think its time to make a decision and go with it. Perhaps all this last minute line shifting is an attempt to decide if Nash gets to stay. We should find that out tomorrow.

Or maybe not..after I made the post I read Chip's tweets on ice_chip. If LaRose can't go a winger will be recalled from Charlotte. Nash won't skate LaRose's position. Mo has decided his top 6 D-men but isn't saying.

Two things:

Something that I feel is horribly overlooked is this team's ability to have fun. If you look at the Penguins, for instance, those guys are a true team in every aspect of the word. With both of their mega-stars out of the lineup last year, they still essentially got the job done to the Nth degree. I feel that comes from a team really gelling together and having fun together and really playing hard for each other and not just a paycheck. Our guys need to start having more fun playing the game that they all love to play. I think Mo might be trying to instill this too, although he comes off most of the time as very business-like.

The second thing I think is crucial, which is closely tied to the first, is a team that really truly plays hard every shift. It starts with our mega-star on the first line. This is his team and he needs to direct it as such. He needs to play hard night in and night out and give our guys a shot in the arm and encouragement and stellar play and leadership on and off the ice. What kind of role is he playing as the Captain of this team? He should be the spark that gets all these guys going. He should be the guy hoofing it to the bench when his shift is over. He is the guy who should be out there running the show and not allowing anyone else to do anything less than perform at his best as much as they possibly can, every single shift. That is how a team comes together and starts winning lots of games. Having fun and playing with 100% effort and total commitment to your fellow teammates, and demanding that they all live by The Code as well. No one gets off the hook. Come on Staal. This is your team. Play like a Champion (like you did in the Olympics) and demand it from the rest of your team.

Two things:

Something that I feel is horribly overlooked is this team's ability to have fun. If you look at the Penguins, for instance, those guys are a true team in every aspect of the word. With both of their mega-stars out of the lineup last year, they still essentially got the job done to the Nth degree. I feel that comes from a team really gelling together and having fun together and really playing hard for each other and not just a paycheck. Our guys need to start having more fun playing the game that they all love to play. I think Mo might be trying to instill this too, although he comes off most of the time as very business-like.

The second thing I think is crucial, which is closely tied to the first, is a team that really truly plays hard every shift. It starts with our mega-star on the first line. This is his team and he needs to direct it as such. He needs to play hard night in and night out and give our guys a shot in the arm and encouragement and stellar play and leadership on and off the ice. What kind of role is he playing as the Captain of this team? He should be the spark that gets all these guys going. He should be the guy hoofing it to the bench when his shift is over. He is the guy who should be out there running the show and not allowing anyone else to do anything less than perform at his best as much as they possibly can, every single shift. That is how a team comes together and starts winning lots of games. Having fun and playing with 100% effort and total commitment to your fellow teammates, and demanding that they all live by The Code as well. No one gets off the hook. Come on Staal. This is your team. Play like a Champion (like you did in the Olympics) and demand it from the rest of your team.

I agree with you. I think Staal might come into his own this season. Just a hunch. Fun and Motivation could be the key this season.

By the way Staal (17) and Skinner at (50) both cracked TSN's top 50 NHL players.

I agree with you. I think Staal might come into his own this season. Just a hunch. Fun and Motivation could be the key this season.

By the way Staal (17) and Skinner at (50) both cracked TSN's top 50 NHL players.

Kind of disappointed that Ward didn't make the list. Interesting that Skinner did make the list. Seems like a lot of the media types are expecting big things from him in the future.

I know this was a ways back but...

...Sutter could easily be the #2 center. Saddled with LaRose and Dwyer/Tlusty/etc he isn't going to ring up 50 points though.

Just wanted to point out that Cullen was good for 40-50 with LaRose and Walker on his wings, so Sutter ought to be able to handle that, especially if he gets significant PP time. Thing is, could he handle #2 duty plus PP plus PK? That's a lot of minutes.

As for the overall situation...I am not sure what to think. Some of the kids are exciting, but when I look at the overall picture it seems the same or worse than last year. Better backup goalie, same D except now with two Pitkanen-like players instead of one, same questionable scoring up front, same weak PP, same weak faceoffs. Looking at another slow start with 9 of their first 13 against playoff teams and a brutal March.

The one real plus is there are assets that can be dealt that are desirable and all are on decent contracts. I have a feeling JR will be looking for something in November. And if that doesn't work Mo may be looking for something come December...

....This time, there is proper perspective. Maybe, just maybe the team leaders and coaches will take this and work with it. I hope so. They can't afford a lousy start.

Excellent, on the money, post. I know my expectations have been throttled back from two years ago when they were bursted early.

I'm looking forward to whatever we get, and expect Mo's tinkering to continue game-by-game for at least the first 10.

Edited by Manwolf

Anyway here is an interesting read from Puck Daddy. It's a bunch of predictions from Wysh and company. Some have predicted Dalpe to win ROY and one even predicted Coach Mo as the first coach to go.

http://t.co/vX5I8xiS

EDIT: I know it's a funky looking link, I guess it's the phone friendly Twitter version.

Too bad their combined success rate has been about as good as our pre-season powerplay % :grin:

According to Chip, Maurice is tight-lipped about who the starting 6 defensemen will be. Interesting-e(5)

And Brindy will only be behind the bench for 3 games this season, and those are the first three as he is filling in for Lewis, who will be gone to attend his daughter's wedding.

Edited by coastal_caniac

good points, i see alot of close games, hate the shootout.. this team does need more from staal emotionally, not sure its in his personality, but like to see a little more fire.. please, keep ryan murphy up.. sounds like its too early to pull trigger on deal, but if something was out there, to get a top 6 winger.. what the hey... go for it..

The reason the lines don't look good is that we are one top 6 forward away from good looking lines and we haven't gotten that player. Mo can spread all the prospects and role players around and around, it's just a kid pushing the broccoli under the mashed potatoes.

One top 6 forward and the lines go from unsettled to strong. Instantly.

It's got to be a tough time of year to make a trade, but if there's one that he's been holding off on that's still out there. Go do it now.

Edited by remkin

Too bad their combined success rate has been about as good as our pre-season powerplay % :grin:

Even if their success rate isn't that great it's still neat for a player to be recognized in that capacity.

Chip a ice_chip clarified a early tweet saying if La Rose couldn't go a winger could be recalled from Charlotte not would be recalled.

Today I guess we watch and wait to see who the last cut is.

Easiest thing to do would be to put LaRose on IR...then put Nash or an extra D in the line up.

IMO Nash has earned a spot on the 4th line, but if you send him down at least he gets top minutes in Charlotte.

Faulk has also earned a spot, but if you send him down at least he gets top minutes in Charlotte. He could be recalled once Murphy gets sent back to Juniors. And yes Murphy needs to go back to Juniors after a 4-8 game NHL tryout. IMO he is just too small to play an entire NHL season against much bigger NHL power forwards.

In Kitchener he would get top minutes against the same size / age players...then you can plan to make room for him next season.

Easiest thing to do would be to put LaRose on IR...then put Nash or an extra D in the line up.

IMO Nash has earned a spot on the 4th line, but if you send him down at least he gets top minutes in Charlotte.

Faulk has also earned a spot, but if you send him down at least he gets top minutes in Charlotte. He could be recalled once Murphy gets sent back to Juniors. And yes Murphy needs to go back to Juniors after a 4-8 game NHL tryout. IMO he is just too small to play an entire NHL season against much bigger NHL power forwards.

In Kitchener he would get top minutes against the same size / age players...then you can plan to make room for him next season.

I wouldn't argue with any of that. LaRose can't possibly be ready so why not put him on the IR to open a roster spot. I think Faulk is in and Murphy will get his 9 games and be sent back to Kitchener too. Nash will likely end up the first call up as soon as a spot opens.

All this could be null and void if a trade happens before Friday, which is a possibility. JR is scheduled to be interviewed on Thurs at 12:15pm............we'll see what transpires between now and then. They're aware something needs to happen one way or another after seeing the struggles during the preseason games.

All this could be null and void if a trade happens before Friday, which is a possibility. JR is scheduled to be interviewed on Thurs at 12:15pm............we'll see what transpires between now and then. They're aware something needs to happen one way or another after seeing the struggles during the preseason games.

I have been watching and waiting. I won't be surprised if we do make a move before Friday. If not I suspect we will try and make a move in the next few weeks unless the play dramatically changes.

Adding a little fuel to the speculation fire. Per Chip Alexander at ice_chip

Just asked GM Jim Rutherford if Faulk was in his top six defensemen heading into the season. "No," he said, "in the top four."