The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Game's over, Canes beat the Caps, and Chip just tweeted that Ponikarovsky is traded to NJ! (For a defenseman and a 4th round pick).

Looks like there's room for the young 'uns to stay up a while.

Edited by wxray1

If this defenseman we just picked up is more than a "ride out the season" guy, then with the Dmen we've got in our system, something will have to give one must think.

geat effort for 60 minutes, great play by the capt to set up jusi.. i like the direction we are heading... 6-1-1 last 8 home games.. tlusty has that long reach like staal, what a goal! On to the ISLAND.. GOOD LUCK PONY, another forward to devs, whats up with parise?

geat effort for 60 minutes, great play by the capt to set up jusi.. i like the direction we are heading... 6-1-1 last 8 home games.. tlusty has that long reach like staal, what a goal! On to the ISLAND.. GOOD LUCK PONY, another forward to devs, whats up with parise?

Parise will be a hurricane before it's over with

So I'm thinking, hey, the Canes are playing pretty well lately. I haven't checked the standings in a while, but I bet they've moved up a bit!

Nope. Last in the conference. Ouch.

We're 1 point away from 11th though.

Not to burst any bubbles, (I was at the Boston and last night's games and both were very sweet), but at this point in the season, the most useful stat is Point percentage. Since we have played more games, this factors that in. Both for the playoffs and on the flip side the high draft pick.

Right now we are last in the conference and 28th overall.

Just to rub salt in the wound we have a ton of away games left. March/April 12 of our final 17 games are on the road. Our current road record: 5-15-5. There are only three teams in the conference that win enough road games to make a run like we'd need (Rangers/Ottawa/Philly).

On the other hand, while I know I am not loved for this position, I still think a ONE time dip to the basement would yield a superstar that would lead to years of winning and playoffs and who knows what else.

Despite that, I still root for the team to win.

But while fans should keep hope alive, JR needs to look at reality. Luckily it looks like he is doing that.

I agree with you, rem. I want them to win and I love the fact that they're playing great at home. At least they're sending the fans who do come to the games home with a smile. The road has been a different story and the March/April stretch is certainly something that will be a challenge.

The question to me is whether that 1st round pick should be traded. While it's possible you can grab a guy like Skinner/Hall/Seguin/RNH up there in the top 3, there's still a risk that such a draft pick won't be ready to hit the NHL for a couple of years. So, if Bobby Ryan is on the board, for example... do you trade that high pick? I would think yes. I don't know if the Ducks are trading him, and I don't know what else they would want, but a proven 30+ goal scorer who is signed for multiple years and can be slotted alongside Staal is preferable to a potential star.

The question to me is whether that 1st round pick should be traded. While it's possible you can grab a guy like Skinner/Hall/Seguin/RNH up there in the top 3, there's still a risk that such a draft pick won't be ready to hit the NHL for a couple of years. So, if Bobby Ryan is on the board, for example... do you trade that high pick? I would think yes. I don't know if the Ducks are trading him, and I don't know what else they would want, but a proven 30+ goal scorer who is signed for multiple years and can be slotted alongside Staal is preferable to a potential star.

I really hear you. But for a top 2-3 pick I just have to take that pick. You get that guy on an entry deal and he is super elite. Just about the only way we get a guy that good is draft them. Also, historically that kind of move is pretty rare. Further, those very elite guys are usually ready to go, if not year one then definitely year 2. Hall, Sequin, Stamkos, Nugent Hopkins, Skinner, Tavares, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Kane, Seguin, all ready year one or two. All still on their original drafting team.

Now drop down some in the order and that trade starts getting interesting. Below 6-7 I'd do it.

Anyone else think its time to give Tlusty his due?

I know the impression was he was one Mo's Toronto boys and when we first acquired him, he was rehabbing some pretty serious injuries so imo we didn't really get much of chance to see what he he could do. Since he's been healthy this season and been put into a roll where he had a chance to either excel or fall off, I think he's really stepped up and shown exactly why he was the 13th overall first round pick in 2006.

That goal last night was unreal and the amount of skill, timing and athleticism it took to score it helped sell me on Tlusty.

http://video.hurrica...CAR590&fr=false

I know the impression was he was one Mo's Toronto boys and when we first acquired him, he was rehabbing some pretty serious injuries so imo we didn't really get much of chance to see what he he could do. Since he's been healthy this season and been put into a roll where he had a chance to either excel or fall off, I think he's really stepped up and shown exactly why he was the 13th overall first round pick in 2006.

That goal last night was unreal and the amount of skill, timing and athleticism it took to score itl helped sell me on Tlusty.

http://video.hurrica...CAR590&fr=false

I was commenting on Tlusty in the Poni trade thread. I'll eat crow here. I thought we had given the guy plenty of time to show up and he hadn't. But 10 goals, playing solid with Staal, I like it. I hope he's going to keep it going.

I think the jury's still out on the guy, for every good game he has he literally disappears for 5-10 games. 4 points in his last 5 is impressive however 3 games were blanks.

I'd love to see him be a 40-50 point guy next season but I'm not sold it's going to happen. I am willing however to make him the one Leaf we hold onto for another year.

I said a week or so ago he "quietly has 17 points." He's healthy, he's getting his shot (on a scoring line) under Muller, and he's taking advantage of it.

He's on my keeper list, he's signed for next year anyway. If he can keep this going, maybe we will get the best out of the Paradise-Tlusty trade after all.

So I'm thinking, hey, the Canes are playing pretty well lately. I haven't checked the standings in a while, but I bet they've moved up a bit!

Nope. Last in the conference. Ouch.

If we would've won tonight we would have jumped to 12th in the East, one point under Montreal. Also I want to randomly point out Erik Cole is the leading scorer for the Canadiens. He's also the goal-scoring leader with 18 goals. I thought this was the year he finally makes it to the ASG, BUT NOOOOOOOOO. He's definitely getting it done for Montreal this year though, been their best forward.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now... he's really stepping up. I thought he was a bust for a long time... but he's surprising me. I wont say that I'm warming up the crow in the microwave, but I did get it out of the freezer and move it to the fridge.

Harrison is another Mo project that has really really worked out. I think he's in the top three best Canes of the season, IMO. His new wrist shot and his new found offensive skills are really helping out.

Tlusty is a solid two way player with some sneaky skills. I'm still not sold on him at a full time top 6 guy, but third line, very very solid there.

He may be one of those guys who just take a while to find their NHL scoring game, but once they do, have a nice career. Or he might be a very nice third liner.

Either way he is a solid NHL player, and one I'd keep over several other third liners we have.

Edited by remkin

So I know Joni is out of the line-up right now...But is that any reason to not include a hockey stick with his bobblehead???

That's right I got Joni out of the box to add him to the rest of the team bobbleheads and... NO STICK :censored: is someone trying to say something lol

I need a stick for Joni :violin:

So Dalpe has been sent down (I'm guessing just for the All-Star break) and according to Canes Now Pitkanen won't be back until first week of March or later, Chad is out for a week to 10 days and hopefully gets back when the All-Star break ends.

x