The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Speaking of waivers, just what is the plan for Joslin? Talk about being in limbo. They keep this guy around to play when somebody gets a hangnail or the flu.

I myself also wonder what they are going to do with Joslin. Not sure why he isn't played more. He is a better d-man than McBain and just always seems to be on the short end of the stick. Wish he would get a lot more ice time!

No way is Joslin better than McBain, IMO. Besides, they play a totally different game. Why do people not like McBain?

As far as Joslin, I don't see anything in his game that puts him above anybody in the lineup right now. I was just wondering why they even keep him around, since I don't think he fits in the long-term plans, particularly since Dumo will be ready soon.

I hope we don't move Joslin and find out he's another Vrbata. Hated that move the day we made it and every year since.

Vrbata is doing great this year, and I'm happy for him.

But don't forget he had some tough years after the Canes, including some serious personal issues requiring time back in the homeland. I'm glad for him that he's over that.

I myself also wonder what they are going to do with Joslin. Not sure why he isn't played more. He is a better d-man than McBain and just always seems to be on the short end of the stick. Wish he would get a lot more ice time!

Joslin needs to be ready to get a LOT of ice time once we move Spacek/Allen/Pitkanen. One or two of those three will not be with this team after the deadline and Joslin will be logging plenty of minutes in March and early April.

I have a feeling that Joslin was originally thought to be in the plans until the surprise emergence of Faulk which took a roster spot away. Add to that, Harrison's and Allen's solid play and someone has to be the odd man out. McBain did struggle the first half of the season but since Kaberle has been moved, his game has really turned around. I'm also not sure how Joslin and McBain could even be compared to each other except that they're both defensemen?

Besides, Jamie McBain is the Kaberle bobblehead replacement so they're not going to mess that up again ;)

I think Joslin may still be feeling the lingering effects of Mono. Although he may not be sick anymore I'm told some of the effects can linger. He probable is just beginning to get his game back. Of course this is only a guess. I think he has played better of late but not up to the hope we had for him at the end of last season.

Odds are we are going to move a D-man or two and he can step in if and when that happens

I think he still is worth the risk.

I think Joslin may still be feeling the lingering effects of Mono. Although he may not be sick anymore I'm told some of the effects can linger. He probable is just beginning to get his game back. Of course this is only a guess. I think he has played better of late but not up to the hope we had for him at the end of last season.

Odds are we are going to move a D-man or two and he can step in if and when that happens

I think he still is worth the risk.

I agree. I've never had it, but I know friends who did, and it was always at least a 6 month issue. As an athlete, I'm sure he's feeling it. Heck, just losing all the conditioning for those few weeks last September will leave a long lasting mark.

No way is Joslin better than McBain, IMO. Besides, they play a totally different game. Why do people not like McBain?

As far as Joslin, I don't see anything in his game that puts him above anybody in the lineup right now. I was just wondering why they even keep him around, since I don't think he fits in the long-term plans, particularly since Dumo will be ready soon.

Well all I can say IMO about McBain is he plays a lot like F.Kaberle. He doesn't have any physical play in the d-zone, he can't seem to hold the puck in the offensive zone @ the blueline, and he just seems to look uncomfortable on the ice most of the time. Like I said this is just my opinion about his play not him as a person.I myself like more of the old school style of defense. To me Joslin has that bit of a edge to him and plays more defense than offense, but when he does decide to skate he can skate very well. I also think Joslin will fit more into Mullers style of play than Jamie will. So with that said maybe he can be packaged with someone and go to a team that needs someone with his style of play.

Well all I can say IMO about McBain is he plays a lot like F.Kaberle. He doesn't have any physical play in the d-zone, he can't seem to hold the puck in the offensive zone @ the blueline, and he just seems to look uncomfortable on the ice most of the time. Like I said this is just my opinion about his play not him as a person.I myself like more of the old school style of defense. To me Joslin has that bit of a edge to him and plays more defense than offense, but when he does decide to skate he can skate very well. I also think Joslin will fit more into Mullers style of play than Jamie will. So with that said maybe he can be packaged with someone and go to a team that needs someone with his style of play.

Well, if you think we are going to play an "old-style" type of defense you are probably better off rooting for the Bruins. The system Muller runs depends on quick outlet passes, not crushing people along the boards. McBain is not expected to do that, he's expected to get the puck up the ice, which he has been doing very well of late.

And on another note, Muller's system breaks down when the forwards have to spend their shifts below the blueline in the defensive zone because we can't make an outlet pass. All the opposing team has to do in this case is flood the neutral zone. More often than not, that's the opposing team's strategy to stop the Canes.

IMO, Joslin is a tweener. He's not very good moving the puck up the ice because his outlet passes are slow to develop and often rushed and not on target. Nor is he physical enough or a good enough shot blocker to warrant a roster spot over somebody like Gleason or Allen.

Edit: bumped to show up on next page

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well, if you think we are going to play an "old-style" type of defense you are probably better off rooting for the Bruins. The system Muller runs depends on quick outlet passes, not crushing people along the boards. McBain is not expected to do that, he's expected to get the puck up the ice, which he has been doing very well of late.

I agree, but you have to admit: McBain looked pretty darn shakey the majority of the first half of the season. He's looking a lot better now, though. I understand an offensive dman wants to put numbers up, but you are a DEFENSEMAN. Defense comes first. A McBain interview during the first half of the season kind of bothered me. He basically said that the only thing that's really bothering him about his game (at the time) was that he wasn't putting up any points. I just sat there and was like, "THAT'S what's bothered you the most?!" At that time he was just awful in front of Cam.

Anyway, he's been better - I hope he keeps it up. However, when Pitkanen returns I would hate to see Pitkanen and McBain paired together again. I don't like the idea of two offensive minded dmen paired together. They aren't physical enough and both tend to be shakey in front of Cam.

I agree, but you have to admit: McBain looked pretty darn shakey the majority of the first half of the season. He's looking a lot better now, though. I understand an offensive dman wants to put numbers up, but you are a DEFENSEMAN. Defense comes first. A McBain interview during the first half of the season kind of bothered me. He basically said that the only thing that's really bothering him about his game (at the time) was that he wasn't putting up any points. I just sat there and was like, "THAT'S what's bothered you the most?!" At that time he was just awful in front of Cam.

Anyway, he's been better - I hope he keeps it up. However, when Pitkanen returns I would hate to see Pitkanen and McBain paired together again. I don't like the idea of two offensive minded dmen paired together. They aren't physical enough and both tend to be shakey in front of Cam.

Shakey during the first half, yes. But, so was his partner, and guess who that was? Two guesses, he isn't here anymore and McBain's face is painted over his bobblehead. Let's don't be so quick to forget that.

Shakey in front of Cam? Who wasn't during the first half? Ward has faced more shots than any other goalie in the league other than Steve Mason. So, if we are going to worry about clearing the crease, let's not single out McBain. Plenty of love to spread around there.

I seem to be in the minority here on McBain, but that's fine. Just don't tell me you don't like him because he's supposed to be a more physical defenseman cause that's not what his role is. Moving the puck out of our zone is DEFENSE.

Just so you know, I'm a big fan of McBain. I prefer him over Pitkanen. It's just.. I dont know.. I have a love-hate relationship with a lot of offensive dmen. I think that's why I like Ryan Suter so much. Puts up numbers, but is also pretty darn solid in his own end.

Also, I know I've suggested trading Pits for a top line winger - but I don't HATE that he's on this team (I did a couple of years ago - he was terrible defensively). But at the beginning of the year he was solid in front of Cam and also brought his physical game up. His play did start to dip a bit before he was hurt..

I DO think it only makes sense to move one of either Pitkanen or McBain to bring in some forward help. Yes, it will suck losing one of them, but we have serious holes in our top 6..

I'm still learning to evaluate defense. It is a learning process for me, so I don't have a lot to say about McBain, EXCEPT:

Jamie has a very distinctive backwards skating style. It looks very awkward. (I shouldn't talk, since I can't skate backwards.) But I always know when he's on the ice near the blue line. His skating sticks out like a sore thumb.

Don't know if it is good or bad. It just is what I notice.

I know what you are saying. It's just a lot of posters come armed with this argument that McBain isn't physical enough, and so therefore he isn't any good. It blinds them to what his role is, and what he does well. I don't understand that.

Faulk is the wild card here. No one expected him to develop this quickly. I don't know what his ceiling will be, but he's likely to develop more along the lines of Suter than McBain will.

Regardless, JR will have some decisions to make on the blueline. If moving the likes of Pitkanen for top-6 help is the only way we can improve their, I guess it's an option. But, I would really like the "other" option, whatever that is.

Shakey during the first half, yes. But, so was his partner, and guess who that was? Two guesses, he isn't here anymore and McBain's face is painted over his bobblehead. Let's don't be so quick to forget that

I hadn't thought about it, but maybe they painted McBain's face on the Kab's bobbleheads was an "I'm sorry" from the team for putting him through that.

McBain seems to be the piece that everybody wants to throw out in a trade scenario. I don't get the disposable nature that many have about him. Since he doesn't score a ton and doesn't fight, I guess many don't think that he is good.

I wouldn't mind seeing McBain go in return for a high pick or prospect (forward). I'd rather have Faulk, Joni and re-sign Jaro for another year going in next season?

Why? Here is what I see:

1. He is one dimensional and almost always pinches. He gets caught often.

2. His release is slow from the point and thus his shot is often blocked.

3. He is poor at handling pucks coming his way at the point and frequently allows the puck to clear the zone. Use your boot or glove for crying out loud!

4. He almost always gets beat 1v1 in a physical battle behind the defensive goal, if not always.

5. He allows opposing forwards to turn the corner when they're coming from behind the goal. No physical resistence. Therefore, they always try.

6. His puck handling is awkward, and he should consider a shorter stick shaft. My image is of his top hand/elbow being too high. I guess he feels comfortable, but it just looks wrong.

Caution: I've been wrong before on young players and some have made me eat my words.

Edited by Manwolf

I'm still waiting to see the 10 points in 14 games Mcbain that debuted with us. If he could find his Paul Coffeyish game I think alot of people could get over his weak play in his own end.

He's capable of it but at some point lost that mojo that went with it.

Regardless of wanting him to play better, dealing him does nothing for us. He costs almost nothing and isn't terrible he's not even bad....he holds his own for the most part this year. We're going to need alot of cheapo players on the ice in order to afford this first line player.

I only tend to notice defenseman's miscues when they're pretty obvious, and I've noticed the heck out of McBain in our own end this year, and not just when he was with Kaberle.

That said, he does seem to be settling down and his offensive upside is large. He is still very young for a dman and Faulk's abilities in his own end exaggerate McBain's miscues.

By and large in the past I've come to McBain's defense when he did not get off the kind of start we had hoped for after the debut that Legend mentions.

At least for me, trading him would only be if he the return were high. McBain is a very young defenseman with NHL experience and tremendous upside especially offensively. If he could bring a very young forward with NHL experience and tremendous upside, especially offensively, I'd look at that deal. Particularly if we keep Pitkanen and if Murphy makes the team, we have a lot of offense on our D. We need some offense in our O.

Edited by remkin

I guess I'm just a little more patient with defenseman, especially 24 year-old ones. :)

I agree, you have to be especially patient with young dmen; however, I do tend to disagree with one thing you've mentioned a couple of times: Because of McBain's role he shouldn't be expected to be physical? This is hockey; EVERYONE needs to be physical.

On another topic, judging by last night's game (against the Avs) Skinner does not seem to be ready for the center position. He was caught out of position a few times and he just doesn't have as much offensive freedom from center.

I agree, you have to be especially patient with young dmen; however, I do tend to disagree with one thing you've mentioned a couple of times: Because of McBain's role he shouldn't be expected to be physical? This is hockey; EVERYONE needs to be physical.

On another topic, judging by last night's game (against the Avs) Skinner does not seem to be ready for the center position. He was caught out of position a few times and he just doesn't have as much offensive freedom from center.

Fair enough, we all have our opinions. I'm wrong quite often, and I'm not suggesting I have any better insight over others on McBain.

In closing, I'm interested to hear people's opinions when Murphy get's in the lineup, to see if these types of comments apply equally to his physical (or lack of) play.