The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I keep asking myself if we could rewind the season would the team we have on the ice be competitive enough to challenge for a playoff spot. I think they would. I then ask myself are they good enough to grab a playoff spot and the truth is i don't know. I don't think they are good enough to go deep and I'm sure they are not good enough to make a run for the cup.

I think we are still one second line center, one power forward and one solid defense man away. If Murphy, Brett Sutter and Bowman are in our plans next year something has to give. I could see as many as 5 current roster players that won't be back.

Does anybody else see it like this?

Just want to clarify on McBain. Overall I still like him alot. He has mega upside offensively and he has looked better lately in his own end. He seemed pretty good back there last night for instance. And again, the only way I trade him is if another GM values him as a very high upside offensive dman and will part with a similarly special offensive upside forward. Personally I think that is unlikely, so I am fine with keeping McBain. Faulk is so good in his own end, that we can count him and Gleason as solid own end guys to go with a potential of Pitkanen, Murphy and McBain as offensive Dmen. Then either bring in one more known guy, or keep Harrison or Allen.

We just have too many d and potential dmen.

Coastal, which 6-7 guys would you like to see as our defense next year?

OBXer. I completely agree that we are 2-3 guys away if we keep Ruutu. One might be a top pick. One might be a trade. And one might be a FA.

As to how our yutes factor in, I think it will depend on how they play out the year. Since Tlusty is looking good, if we really add two more forwards, it is hard to see where the Boychuks, Daple's, Bowman's etc fit in.

I see:

New Guy Staal Juice

Ruutu NewGuy Skinner

Tlusty Sutter (one of: Dalpe/Bowman/Nodl/Boychuk/Samson/LaRose)

Dwyer/Brent/Pick One

JR should be able to manipulate trades for the guys not staying in parenthesis, Spacek, and Allen's converted picks into a trade for the second line center.

Just flat out sign a top winger.

Get a top draft pick, might be able to contribute year one.

The basic core of: Staal, Juice, Ruutu, Skinner, and Sutter, (and probably Tlusty) is a good enough core to build a playoff team around as far as up front.

Remember we have our All World goalie back, and a pretty good back up next year.

New Guy Staal Juice

Ruutu NewGuy Skinner

Tlusty Sutter (one of: Dalpe/Bowman/Nodl/Boychuk/Samson/LaRose)

Dwyer/Brent/Pick One...

I'd prefer this:

New Guy Staal (NewGuy/Tlusty)

Ruutu Skinner Juice

Sutter + (two of: Dalpe/Bowman/Nodl/Boychuk/Samson/Dadonov)

Dwyer/Brent/Larose + Pick one...

I'd prefer this:

New Guy Staal (NewGuy/Tlusty)

Ruutu Skinner Juice

Sutter + (two of: Dalpe/Bowman/Nodl/Boychuk/Samson/Dadonov)

Dwyer/Brent/Larose + Pick one...

I can live with that. Skins and Fins and a real top line. The only thing is that while I am liking Tlusty more and more, I'm not sold on top line duties for him.

The good thing about our position is we are playing better and Muller seems to have pulled the team together. You get a feeling (or at least I do) that no matter what happens by trade deadline this team is moving forward.

I just saw we called Samson back up and sent Bowman back to the Chex.

Canes Recall Jerome Samson

Last time Samson was up pre-injury he was starting to look pretty good. Lord knows he's put up some numbers in the AHL. So many guys I'd like to see get real shots. I guess it's going to be a bit of a shuttle for a while.

Last time Samson was up pre-injury he was starting to look pretty good. Lord knows he's put up some numbers in the AHL. So many guys I'd like to see get real shots. I guess it's going to be a bit of a shuttle for a while.

He was looking good before the injury. I guess we were taking a look at Bowman while Samson went down get back in pre-injury shape.

Tough for me to tell if we are trying them out or showing them off. I think it will settle down a little in March and I think we will get a look at a few more Chex.

Congrats to the Detroit Red Wings....20 consecutive home wins....which equals the Hurricanes total season wins.

Consistency is a great concept. Oh well, maybe next year. I hate to keep repeating myself!

Chip A tweets Ruu out 3 weeks with an upper body injury...Samson/Dalpe back up?

Now very doubtful he gets traded and probably gives JR a little leverage in resigning for a fair value.

Why would Ruutu's 3-week injury give JR leverage in resigning him?

That's what I was thinking. You would think a contending team might take a second thought about giving up too much for a potentially injured player that would likely only be a rental. I guess it depends on how serious the injury really is.

I thought Samson had a good game in Montreal... could this be to further display Bowman's talent for a potential trade?

I suppose that's a possibility, though my thoughts are that Bowman has been our best looking prospect..

That's what I was thinking. You would think a contending team might take a second thought about giving up too much for a potentially injured player that would likely only be a rental. I guess it depends on how serious the injury really is.

More from Micheal Smith:

"The pending-UFA forward’s name has been the hot topic of trade rumors as of late. While this injury should not impact the Hurricanes’ desires to sign Ruutu (his long-term value outweighs this short-term setback), it could impact his trade potential. Seen as a rental player for a playoff push, a three-week absence might scare off some clubs as the season approaches the final month of play."

Full Article

More from Micheal Smith:

"The pending-UFA forward’s name has been the hot topic of trade rumors as of late. While this injury should not impact the Hurricanes’ desires to sign Ruutu (his long-term value outweighs this short-term setback), it could impact his trade potential. Seen as a rental player for a playoff push, a three-week absence might scare off some clubs as the season approaches the final month of play."

Full Article

I'm not buying it.. He'll only be out 7 days past the trade deadline. I still think a team will offer just as much on the 27th as when he was not injured.

I'm not buying it.. He'll only be out 7 days past the trade deadline. I still think a team will offer just as much on the 27th as when he was not injured.

Its possible and it isn't like it is unheard of. But we don't know what the injury is and you can't be sure if he will be at 100% when he returns. It could take a week or two to get his legs back. It has to impact his value and the number of teams interested.

JR says it won't make a difference to our plan to try and re-sign him so maybe it wont be an issue.

And then he comes back and has a setback. Ruutu doesn't come out of games unless he's in serious pain which equals serious injuries. My guess is sternum/ribs. He got popped pretty good in the chest last night. There was footage of him and Pete Friesen on the bench past night and Friesen was pressing on the center of his chest.

It will be interesting to see what Muller does to patch together a top-6 with Ruutu out for 3-4 weeks. This will be a real test for our coach to keep the team competitive. Particularly if we trade away Allen and/or Spacek to boot.

With challenge comes opportunity. Get more young guns up here. Give Joslin a long look. Sanguinetti? Boychuk one last time? Bowman? Dalpe?

Tlusty is a good example of how there are guys that just take a while, but once they start getting it, they're good to go.

Speaking of guys like that, look at Ray Whitney's numbers. OK I was wrong. He is ageless. #20 in the league in points.

I still say 40 is too old. But clearly what do I know?

Edited by remkin