The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

If he's not getting time with the big club after 3 years of looks, just what trade value is their to salvage? Other teams aren't blind to that. Of course, Montreal did take Kaberle off our hands.

I think you just answered your own question :)

You never know, maybe someone will think he just needs a change of scenery.

Agreed. And putting a defenseman on the wing should definitely reinforce that message. Muller comes across as a nice guy in an interview, but I think his "accountability" message isn't a BS line.

IMO, the team is seeing better results from bigger bodies along the half-board in Bowman and Samson. That has been the case for awhile. Dalpe and Boychuk will have to win some battles and not just expect to snipe. Maybe camp will give them that chance, but I don't think it'll be now.

When Dadonov came on board I think he bumped Boychuk further down the list. IMO Dadonov is the better player from the limited times I've seen both.

I think you just answered your own question :)

You never know, maybe someone will think he just needs a change of scenery.

Yeah, and it's too bad JR didn't listen to me last year and actually give some team that opportunity when his trade value WAS actually higher. ;)

IMO, the team is seeing better results from bigger bodies along the half-board in Bowman and Samson. That has been the case for awhile. Dalpe and Boychuk will have to win some battles and not just expect to snipe. Maybe camp will give them that chance, but I don't think it'll be now.

When Dadonov came on board I think he bumped Boychuk further down the list. IMO Dadonov is the better player from the limited times I've seen both.

This. Couldn't agree more.

It's interesting how we all have different perceptions of these prospects. For example, I've been down on Boychuk for 3 years now, and Remkin always was one who was quick to respond he thought we should give him more time. Yet, I was one of those who fell for the Dalpe hype this year, while Rem was one of the few around here who wasn't buying it.

Dalpe has good size, he's no midget like Boychuk, so I'm not sure what his setback is, but I would have to think Manwolf touched on it.

I haven't had any opportunity to see Dadanov, but I wouldn't mind.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If I've learned anything its that JR has 0 feel for his prospects.

We got Stephane Yelle because Sutter wasn't ready, yea Sutter kinda scoffed at that. Then Peters was ready to be a back up. Then Dalpe was supposed to make the club and Murphy was the closest defenseman to making the team...but then apparently Faulk was alot better then he was supposed to be.

So yea if JR says something about a prospect you've almost gotta ignore it.

If I've learned anything its that JR has 0 feel for his prospects.

We got Stephane Yelle because Sutter wasn't ready, yea Sutter kinda scoffed at that. Then Peters was ready to be a back up. Then Dalpe was supposed to make the club and Murphy was the closest defenseman to making the team...but then apparently Faulk was alot better then he was supposed to be.

So yea if JR says something about a prospect you've almost gotta ignore it.

I'm pretty sure JR leans on the evaluation of others in the organization when it comes to our prospects. What is Ron Francis' job now?

If I've learned anything its that JR has 0 feel for his prospects.....

.....So yea if JR says something about a prospect you've almost gotta ignore it.

Huh? A little balance to the argument would include Skinner, Faulk playing in Charlotte for playoffs last year, and choosing him over Murphy this year. I think the Sutter/Yelle situation is in JR's favor. In fact Sutter recently said it was Yelle who taught him about blocking shots and how it was more mental and about courage.

Not entirely buying.

Huh? A little balance to the argument would include Skinner, Faulk playing in Charlotte for playoffs last year, and choosing him over Murphy this year. I think the Sutter/Yelle situation is in JR's favor. In fact Sutter recently said it was Yelle who taught him about blocking shots and how it was more mental and about courage.

Not entirely buying.

Yes, that was a very interesting interview. I forgot about Yelle until Sutter specifically brought him up in that mentoring role.

It is tough for us fans to evaluate our prospects unless A. They are off the hook good: Skinner, Faulk or B. We live in Charlotte and attend all practices and closed door coaches meetings.

Part of the problem is that there is skill, and there is hockey sense, and there is "doing what it takes/heart/attitude". That last one is very hard to know about as a fan. One has to try to read between the lines of GM speak, and make assumptions that are probably way off base. Add to that the fact that most of these guys get shuttled back and forth to Charlotte like a badminton birdie, and when they are up they are often on checking lines or seeing limited duties.

Look at Tlusty. The guy has had very mixed reviews on these boards since his arrival. But he managed to work his butt off, back check, mostly keep plugging and got himself a one-way. Then fighting through injuries kept earning ice time. By just being in the NHL long enough to settle down, he has developed his NHL level scoring skills and fairly recently broken out. Harrison kind of the same path.

I just wonder if Boychuk had been able to follow the same path what might have happened. But, and again, reading between the lines, one wonders if he has grown overly frustrated with not breaking through and that is now making things even worse.

I've seen skill in Boychuk and there are many guys like Tlusty (Whitney) that take a few years to get it. But sure seems like that isn't happening here.

I still have hope for Dalpe. I was not sold on him as the Cole replacement.

We need to pick a few of these guys and give them a good look.

I will say it does make one wonder about Dalpe though. Boychuk has always seemed to be just below the surface of breaking through, but never seems to get above it, and has seemingly been just about given up on for quite a while now, but Dalpe was the golden boy at the start of this year. If he is "not deserving" according to Muller, that is really unfortunate.

Just asking here, but is there any chance this is a budgetary move? Save some money by playing a guy we're paying NHL money to anyway, with all the call ups getting their NHL pay? Probably not.

Sometimes I'd just love to know what's going on behind closed doors on the evaluation of our prospects.

I'm happy Muller has this team playing so much better. I'm happy that Gleason is staying. I'm happ Staal has his act together and that Tlusty is showing signs of being a legit top -6 forward.

Now I pray that JR will make the right moves. There's a trade or two that likely needs to happen. I hope that's not Ruutu. I'm really excited to see what this team looks like in 2012-2013.

I hope Cam is ok. I really hope it isn't his back again..ugh..

IF Cam is out for a period of time, you gotta think that helps out with what number we are picking in the upcoming draft.. (glass half-full)

It looks like Jussi hasn't given up the dream. From Canes Now

Jussi Jokinen, "We need to find a way to win just about all of the games on this home stretch if we want to make the playoffs,"

He might be in denial but you have to admire his attitude.

It looks like Jussi hasn't given up the dream. From Canes Now

Jussi Jokinen, "We need to find a way to win just about all of the games on this home stretch if we want to make the playoffs,"

He might be in denial but you have to admire his attitude.

So, Jussi's telling me there's a chance.

Edited by super_dave_1

Someone i'm surprised to not be mentioned in rumors is Setoguchi out of minnesota. He has a fantastic contract at $3mil for two more years, and minnesota is very inexperienced at the blueline. I think he'd be a perfect linemate for staal. I'd give joni and a 2nd rounder or something similar

I haven't heard anything from the Staal bashers in a while.. hm..

Also, :omg: Tlusty is on fire. He is really proving he belongs on the top line.

Someone i'm surprised to not be mentioned in rumors is Setoguchi out of minnesota. He has a fantastic contract at $3mil for two more years, and minnesota is very inexperienced at the blueline. I think he'd be a perfect linemate for staal. I'd give joni and a 2nd rounder or something similar

You might actually be on to something.. While Setoguchi didn't start the year off too well, he has improved since. If there is a deal that can be worked out between Pits and Setoguchi, I'm all in. Would love his right-handed shot..

No it's not. Our boy Melee made several posts about how Staal sucks. He posted this in just about every single thread of months and it got to a point where several people including myself were getting upset because it literally was in every single thread. This just validates who on here is a "What have you done for me lately?" kind of fan.