The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I have been watching and waiting. I won't be surprised if we do make a move before Friday. If not I suspect we will try and make a move in the next few weeks unless the play dramatically changes.

Yeah. And don't trades normally pick up after a few weeks? Teams find holes, or get holes (injuries), so there is willingness to do some swapping with surplus for deficit if they find a partner.

Even so, a "few weeks" of horrible play could sink this team for the season.

I gotta stop worrying. Like a post earlier said, I need to "have some fun" along with the team. OK, take the fingernails out of your mouth, wxray1. It will be OK. I think!

Edited by wxray1

Practice update 10/5 - via Michael Smith

Special teams work today

PP unit #1

Ruutu - Staal - Skinner

Pitkanen - Kaberle

PP unit #2

Jokinen - Sutter - Ponikarovski

Gleason - Faulk (Harrison - Faulk also getting a look)

*LaRose skating today

I was wondering how likely trades are at this exact point in the season. You all know what I think about this issue, but are GM's really looking to shake things up days before the season starts? I'm asking. Would seem more likely a couple of weeks in as OBXer seemed to imply.

Then again, what do you do with all those defensemen in the meanwhile? I suppose we could press box three at a time temporarily.

I take it Faulk does not have to clear waivers due to his age?

Could send Faulk down with the explicit idea that he will be coming back once the trade is made.

If JR really sees Faulk as a top 4 defenseman then a trade HAS to happen. If a deal has been on the table but the trigger not pulled....pull it.

Oh please, oh please......

edit: reading the Oiler's board, Hemsky had a pretty good preseason....I know there are injury issues, but that kind of speed and creativity and passing with Staal and then a guy like Poni around the net....that would be a first line to deal with.

Then try to deal with our second line

Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen

Seriously. Come on!

Edited by remkin

I was wondering how likely trades are at this exact point in the season. You all know what I think about this issue, but are GM's really looking to shake things up days before the season starts? I'm asking. Would seem more likely a couple of weeks in as OBXer seemed to imply.

I was trying to imply that if we didn't make a trade now I wouldn't be surprised if we make a trade in a couple of weeks. It really feels like something may be in the works now.

When a trade was mentioned I found myself going to Leafs board to check out their roster.:jester:

I bet JR doesn't make a trade unti about the same time Babs and Tommy K were shipped out last season.

EDIT: A fourth line of Tommy K/Brent/Dwyer would be nice, eh?

Edited by jfive

Michael Smith tweeted

Paul Maurice said that Riley Nash will be assigned to Charlotte. Chad LaRose will play Friday.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard JR's comment on Faulk being in the top 4.

Totally agree...I smell imminent trade, JR says our 19 year old is a top 4 guy and that he does not like the chemistry he sees right now...finger is on the trigger. Who is the odd man out...I'd guess it's Allen, ditching his contract frees up a lot of cap space. Do we go for a winger or a true 2nd line center???

Poni Staal Ruutu/Skinner

Jokinen ______ Ruutu/Skinner

Dalpe Sutter Stewart

LaRose Brent Dwyer

Thinking about this more in terms of a trade...

Top 6 D-Men right now...

Pits Gleason

Kabs Faulk

Allen McBain

That leaves Harrison and Joslin on the outside looking in...I think either one could replace Allen but here's a BIG question could Murphy replace McBain? If we packaged McBain/Boychuck there could be HUGE return for us. It would be a little scary with a 19 year old and an 18 year old on the back end but if they are up to the challenge it would sure as heck be interesting. With Doumolin, Kreuger, Sanguinetti, Biega, Levi, et al in the system we look absolutely loaded with blue line talent and a youth movement is certain to come pretty soon.

I'm most excited about the Domoulin (sp?) kid. A future of, in no particular order, Pitkanen, Gleason, Faulk, Murphy, Domoulin, Joslin, and Harrison might turn out to be pretty decent. Of course it's way too early to speculate though.

JR letter to all GMS:

Do you have an extra playmaking center or winger?

Do you like any of our defenseman that are over 20 years old?

Call me.

In that audio clip Maurice stated that the tandem of Ward/Boucher is arguably the best in the NHL. Hadn't really thought of that but I have to admit this is the most solid the goalie position has been since the Cup run.

I didn't see the practice but I'm skeptical that LaRose is game ready. I think he only played in 1 preseason game and missed lots of team practice time. Nash better not unpack to quickly :)

I said it before and not too many agreed, but I think McBain is our most expendable Dman. If Faulk really is all that, and Murphy is ready for next year, why keep McBain? He is our least experienced "puck-moving" type, and as everyone knows we have more than enough of them already. Joslin would be next on the list but his value is down with so little camp time. Harrison and Allen - seriously? We don't have enough guys like them. Plus every mention of them during camp has been positive.

At any rate, I don't expect anything before November. JR's latest quotes from Chip's blog leads one to believe JR's willing to wait until then to see if these guys can find some chemistry.

This may not be popular, but think about what we're observing.

The Canes are committed to defenders in name only. The role is for puck moving rear liners and those with speed and skill. It is not for big, lumbering, bodies. I know many don't want to hear that last part for crease clearing sake.

Joni gets re-signed, and yes the discount for being here is part of it. Kaberle gets signed, Murphy is drafted, and Faulk makes the team (deserved, and as I said 10/2 in this thread). Murphy is going to Kitchener, but that still leaves one too many. There will be a 7th rear liner in the press box. I also still believe after Murphy goes down and the 8th rear liner is moved a 13th forward will be added.

Part of what you're seeing is for this year, but much is for 2 years from now when Murphy is on the roster. Speed, offense and skill is how its being constructed.

Competition to stay out of the press box is good.

Don't forget Dumoulin. In 2 years, he'll be pushing for a roster spot.

I think this will be your opening night defensive lines:

Pitkanen/Gleason

Kaberle/Faulk

Allen/Harrison

Press Box:

McBain

Joslin

Murphy

Edited by coastal_caniac

ok, throwing caution to the wind, murphy belongs in top 6, i know the age, his UP side is way better than down side.. package joslin or the other expendable dman[having brain cramp] and a 2 rounder for a top 6 winger, guys and gals, we need to score, not enough scoring in top 2 lines, u know skinner is going to be blanketed.. i say the heck waiting, november and december are brutual months.. maybe i being implusive and pie in sky thinking lol, but i say comon jr, pull the trigger...

Edited by dinz

JR knows what he needs to do and provide Staal with a proven scorer at wing. Those opportunities don't come cheaply and I trust in his ability to work this through - eventually.

JR knows what he needs to do and provide Staal with a proven scorer at wing. Those opportunities don't come cheaply and I trust in his ability to work this through - eventually.

I agree. JR's lining up the pieces to make a trade. The competition in the back makes a package deal more likely than a few weeks ago. Maurice's comment that there wasn't as much competition up front as they'd hoped and the competition in the back was better than they'd hoped for was very telling.