The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Our boy Melee stopped posting when we started winning which is what several people do, I wish we could preemptively just ban him for trolling. He hasn't logged in since Jan 20th about the time Staal's funk ended.

They get their kicks out of throwing gernades in a already peed off crowd.

Edited by legend-1

I see we have sent Murphy back to the Chex. I hope this means Cam will be ready for the Ducks. If not Murphy can hop in his car and make the short drive back to Raleigh.

Anyone else impressed with the 4th line of Joslin/Brent/Stewart?

I sure noticed Joslin last night. I have always liked Brent and you can't argue with Stewart's goal even if it was with the top line.

Anyone else impressed with the 4th line of Joslin/Brent/Stewart?

Heck yeah, after last nites game I think we now have a good checking ,gritty. 4th line!! Will be nice if we can now role all 4 lines for the rest of the year!!

They said last night that Joslin likes to play as forward. He commented that he enjoys the fact that he can hit people instead of being hit. Also, last night during the Aftermath, Mike Maniscalco said he heard the line is called the Oreo line.

With the chemistry we are seeing in all four lines now, what does that mean for LaRose???

Edited by hopper915

Joslin likes to play as forward. He commented that he enjoys the fact that he can hit people instead of being hit. Also, last night during the Aftermath, Mike Maniscalco said he heard the line is called the Oreo line.

With the chemistry we are seeing in all four lines now, what does that mean for LaRose???

Joslin is the Anti-Wesley, or the bizzaro-world Glen Wesley... I think it's awesome that they have finally found a way to insert Joslin into the fold, he's too good to sit day after day. It's great to see someone with his skill set out there hitting people and being physical, that is something the Canes need in a 3rd/4th line player. I love the idea of his move from press box defenseman to forward from the start - not only does this mean he actually gets ice time, but he's an emergency defensemen in case there is a injury.

You guys are right, this fourth line looks great. Oreo line... classic.

Larose continues to be a third wheel. I love the guy, but it seems like he just doesn't fit anywhere this season... I'm sure someone from the 3rd or 4th line will be gone before the start of next season and he'll go to the third line. Of course with Muller, he doesn't seem to get the special treatment that Mo gave him (first line position, etc).

Joslin is the Anti-Wesley, or the bizzaro-world Glen Wesley... I think it's awesome that they have finally found a way to insert Joslin into the fold, he's too good to sit day after day. It's great to see someone with his skill set out there hitting people and being physical, that is something the Canes need in a 3rd/4th line player. I love the idea of his move from press box defenseman to forward from the start - not only does this mean he actually gets ice time, but he's an emergency defensemen in case there is a injury.

Maybe I've been bashing Mo too much. But I have to ask you all:

Would Mo have this kind of coaching creativity? I don't think so.

They said last night that Joslin likes to play as forward. He commented that he enjoys the fact that he can hit people instead of being hit. Also, last night during the Aftermath, Mike Maniscalco said he heard the line is called the Oreo line.

Actually, Stewart (@Ehstew) tweeted that line name (#oreoline) after Friday's game. Pretty funny.

I like Joslin on the wing, much better than I did on defense. He's a scrappy guy, and reminds me of Walker. Maybe he can find a goal or three.

Edit: On Larose, it's his speed, and that's about it. He's just too slow on a team that feeds on fast. Everything else is fine.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Going into next season, our defense is going to be the most troubling position. Spacek and Allen are UFA's, Mcbain's a rfa, Joslin & Joni are flaky from game to game, and faulk is still a rookie and even though he's played well he's not a given to be consistent. The point i'm trying to make is the canes should really look for an all star dman that will make elevate the level we play. If you look at just about every team currently in the playoffs, they have at least 1 or 2 dman anchoring the blueline. I don't see carolina going after that player as long as joni's on th team. Even if you're for or against joni, he's not an all star dman, and imo there's no way jr's paying 3 dmen 4.5mil a year.

It's time the hurricanes start being wise with money because eventually when you develop quality players, you have to pay quality money. Not too far down the road, Skinner, Sutter, Tlusty, Harrison & Faulk are going to be due more than what they're currently making. And when you factor in the contracts of Staal, Ward, Gleason, and potentially Ruutu, that leaves very little room for error as far as signing bad contracts

PenaltyKiller, I disagree. Our Defense looks great right now. It is playing well with what we have, and we are about to get back our best OFD/puck moving defenseman, Joni. He was hit or miss last year, but before he got injured he looked very good and should fit into Muller's system very well. Then next year, we most likely have an elite talent coming up in Ryan Murphy. He could easily surpass Faulk in his rookie year success. He has been on a tear in the OHL and has huge offensive upside. So we could get rid of Allen or Spacek and have a better defense than we have now. We are deep with Defensive prospects that dont get a chance like the forward prospects do (ie. Sanguinetti). We could have the following lineup next year that I think could be very very good. Unlike our forward lines which are more up in the air and dependent on a big off season pickup.

Pitkanen-Gleason

Harrison-Faulk

Allen-Murphy/Sanguinetti/Joslin/McBain

On a side note, a friend brought this to my attention on another forum. Of course this is info for much further down the line...

With the 187th pick in the 7th round of the 2010 NHL Draft the Carolina Hurricanes selected Frederik Andersen. Frederik is in his rookie season with Frolunda in the Swedish Elite League (SEL). After 35 games he is leading the league with a 1.69 GAA and a .940 SVS%. At 22, he beat out a top goalie prospect for the starting position - Magnus Hellburg, who was drafted with the 38th pick in the 2nd rd of the 2011 NHL draft by the Nashville Predators.

For those unfamiliar with the SEL it is the fourth best professional hockey league behind the NHL, KHL, and Czech league.

His career stats

Goalie rankings in SEL

Article about him on hockey's future

He's going to need to transition to North American hockey soon or miss the train. The rink size even for a goalie can really screw with your game. How can it screw with a goalie? I bet in one NHL game he'd see more shots from the slot then in a week of SEL hockey.

I myself hope that Peters gets the next start. He deserves to be in net after getting a shutout against the Caps.He played very well and so did the team in front of him. That game against the Caps was the best game I think the Canes have played since game 7 in the Cup year. Kinda has put a small thought in my head "has Cam lost the teams confidence in him" Like I said its just a small thought but it did cross my mind with how that game was played! Any thoughts?

Kinda has put a small thought in my head "has Cam lost the teams confidence in him" Like I said its just a small thought but it did cross my mind with how that game was played! Any thoughts?

What did Cam ever do to you? Run over your dog? Sleep with your girl? Talk ugly about your mama?

You really do look for any fault in Cam, whether real, or imaginary. You do realize that Cam (and the team in front of him)has played quite well of late. They did put up a stellar effort against the Caps, but the Caps pretty much rolled over too. There is some legitimacy to the idea that the team may put up a fantastic effort in front of the back up, mainly because they don't have the confidence that they would have in the starter. That would be opposite your anti-Cam theory.

Awesome article from Michael Smith about Chuck Kaiton today

Kaiton Hits 2,900

Would have been kinda fun if they made the Kaberle bobble heads into Chuck and the Letter K bobble heads instead of using Jamie McBain. Is it too late? :lol:

What did Cam ever do to you? Run over your dog? Sleep with your girl? Talk ugly about your mama?

You really do look for any fault in Cam, whether real, or imaginary. You do realize that Cam (and the team in front of him)has played quite well of late. They did put up a stellar effort against the Caps, but the Caps pretty much rolled over too. There is some legitimacy to the idea that the team may put up a fantastic effort in front of the back up, mainly because they don't have the confidence that they would have in the starter. That would be opposite your anti-Cam theory.

Thank you, someone eventually had to say something maybe he'll listen to you.

Edited by legend-1

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly goalies can be loved or not so loved.

All the love for Muller is deserved, but one of the biggest reasons for our change in fortunes (that might just land us in 9th again) is the play of Cam Ward. Ward was on an unholy hot run there for a while and without that, we'd be in the hunt for Nail even with all of Muller's mojo.

On the flip side, Peters, who was widely regarded as barely qualified to open the bench door, has a couple of nice starts and it's time for Boucher to clean out his locker.

Edited by remkin