The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Now that Ruutu is signed, I think JR will deal Spacek and Allen to get some picks or players back. The defense and maybe some bottom 6 players are what's expendable for the trade deadline. Hate to see these guys go but spots need to open up for young players next season.

Now that Ruutu is signed, I think JR will deal Spacek and Allen to get some picks or players back. The defense and maybe some bottom 6 players are what's expendable for the trade deadline. Hate to see these guys go but spots need to open up for young players next season.

That does look like the logical move. Of course Allen still has a NTC but I doubt he will use it like Whitney did. Of course you never Know because he says he likes it here and wants to stay. Our bottom 6 does seem to me to be the place were we have some expendable players. By expendable I mean players that can be replaced easier by one of our Chex group.

Spacek can be moved, but I'd like to see Allen re-signed for about 2 years.

Could you imagine the Canes with these pairings? The team definitely needs to keep Allen around while Faulk, McBain and Murphy develop defensively.

Pitkanen/Gleason (This combination has always been a disaster)

Faulk/Harrison (This is an ideal 3rd pairing)

McBain/Murphy or Joslin (Want to see some 3 on 0s against Ward?)

Should our 1st rounder be in play as far as a trade? Because what once looked like a top 3 pick all of a sudden maybe a top 8-10. Just saying

Thats a good question. Unless we have something in the works that hasn't been hinted at i would say no.

PenaltyKiller17, on 22 February 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Should our 1st rounder be in play as far as a trade? Because what once looked like a top 3 pick all of a sudden maybe a top 8-10. Just saying

Thats a good question. Unless we have something in the works that hasn't been hinted at i would say no.

Actually, if the season were to end today, the Canes would have the #3 pick.

1) Columbus (43 pts) Nail Yakupov

2) Edmonton (52 pts) Mikhail Grigorenko

3) Carolina (57 pts) Filip Forsberg

Also, the Capitals right now have the #10 pick (from Colorado) and the #12 pick.

Also, the Capitals right now have the #10 pick (from Colorado) and the #12 pick.

and even if we were to make a little run (or big run) and drop out of the top 5 picks unless we used it to pull off some amazing trade that would bring us a young but proven top line power forward . I would keep it in my back pocket. If we were inclined to trade the 1st round pick I think we would be better off to make that move around draft time.

I just saw we recalled Murphy from Charlotte. I guess Cam isn't ready to go yet.

Just saw that on NHL live, i hope hes ready for the panthers game, hate reading, that he got called, on emergency basis, did cammer have a setback.. i hope not..

The thing is there is only 3pts that separate bottom 3 from bottom 10. And based on our history of late surges, i'd be more inclined to see carolina near the bottom 10. The only way i'd trade the 1st rounder is if carolina got a proven 60pt player to head the 2nd line ala M. Richards, Getzlaf, etc. I do agree that the best time to trade would be around draft time

Just saw that on NHL live, i hope hes ready for the panthers game, hate reading, that he got called, on emergency basis, did cammer have a setback.. i hope not..

I haven't seen anything yet on Ward-0 except what we already knew. He had a "tweek" and Muller said they would be careful to make sure he was ready before playing him. I hope that is the case and it isn't more serious. I share your concern.

Agreed. Considering that there is still well over a month of hockey, I know it's a bummer to be thinking this way on one level, but I am really excited about JR signing Gleason and Ruutu and our outlook for next year. Letting them go would signal a major restructure if not rebuild. Instead the core is secure. Now JR can start making some moves. I'm thinking compile some picks and maybe make a run at a guy in a trade. If the signing of FA's makes next year's FA market tight, a trade might be the best way to get at least one piece. Further, agree, need to get at least Dalpe and or Bowman back up here.

Edited by remkin

That does look like the logical move. Of course Allen still has a NTC but I doubt he will use it like Whitney did. Of course you never Know because he says he likes it here and wants to stay. Our bottom 6 does seem to me to be the place were we have some expendable players. By expendable I mean players that can be replaced easier by one of our Chex group.

That's exactly what I meant by expendable. Not trying to devalue either player but we have lots of defensive options for next season and will need somewhere to put them.

Agreed. Considering that there is still well over a month of hockey, I know it's a bummer to be thinking this way on one level, but I am really excited about JR signing Gleason and Ruutu and our outlook for next year. Letting them go would signal a major restructure if not rebuild. Instead the core is secure. Now JR can start making some moves. I'm thinking compile some picks and maybe make a run at a guy in a trade. If the signing of FA's makes next year's FA market tight, a trade might be the best way to get at least one piece. Further, agree, need to get at least Dalpe and or Bowman back up here.

Not to be lost is the fact that we are (currently) the last place team in the East and if we have pieces to move that can get us something useful back, now is the time to do it because according to all the credible broadcasters, this is a huge sellers market.

That's exactly what I meant by expendable. Not trying to devalue either player but we have lots of defensive options for next season and will need somewhere to put them

Imo, that makes a player like Mcbain expendable. Even though i feel he has the most upside over all our young dmen, he brings no physicality to our blueline. At least when murphy was here he could hit people. And with all the offensive dmen prospects, we could afford to lose him.

I see players most likely to be traded in order are

Spacek

Mcbain

Joni

Larose

Allen

One of our goalies not named cam

Imo, that makes a player like Mcbain expendable. Even though i feel he has the most upside over all our young dmen, he brings no physicality to our blueline. At least when murphy was here he could hit people. And with all the offensive dmen prospects, we could afford to lose him.

I see players most likely to be traded in order are

Spacek

Mcbain

Joni

Larose

Allen

One of our goalies not named cam

Uh, Murphy hasn't suited up played for the Canes this season. Not to mention the knock on him he's too small. That, and he isn't supposed to be physical. ;)

Edit: I forgot about his scratches to start the season

Edited by coastal_caniac

Uh, Murphy hasn't suited up played for the Canes this season. Not to mention the knock on him he's too small. That, and he isn't supposed to be physical. ;)

Edit: I forgot about his scratches to start the season

I meant during his preseason when he was paired with faulk. He was putting bodies on people. I stood next to karlsson out of ottawa, he's roughly the same size as Larose, he's a norris favorite.

I meant during his preseason when he was paired with faulk. He was putting bodies on people. I stood next to karlsson out of ottawa, he's roughly the same size as Larose, he's a norris favorite.

So, to summarize, you think McBain is expendable because Murphy laid the body on people in the preseason? Not buying it.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't know if McBain is expendable or if Pitkanen is expendable, but I do believe one can and should be traded in order to bring in some top 6 help. Pitkanen has the higher salary and would probably bring back the best return, and oh yeah, he's been injured for quite some time and our D hasn't really missed him that much..

I'd keep the 1st rounder because of a guy named Alex Galchenyuk. Ranked #7 and I don't think he's even played. Igor larionov is a big fan I believe. If no one iis available it could always be used on a draft day deal. No harm in keeping the pick.

EDIT: even though he has a Russian name he's US born and raised I believe.

Edited by jfive

I'd keep the 1st rounder because of a guy named Alex Galchenyuk. Ranked #7 and I don't think he's even played. Igor larionov is a big fan I believe. If no one iis available it could always be used on a draft day deal. No harm in keeping the pick.

EDIT: even though he has a Russian name he's US born and raised I believe.

I agree with you. BTW, I had no idea he was US born and raised. I looked it up; you're right. The only thing that scares me about this guy is the fact that he was paired with Yakupov, so how many of Galchenyuk's points are actually attributed to his skill?

Regardless, if Galcheyuk is there, you take him. However, the Canes ARE only 8 pts out of a playoff spot.. :crossfingers: We might not have that high of a draft pick..

So, to summarize, you think McBain is expendable because Murphy laid the body on people in the preseason? Not buying it.

You're twisting my words. I mainly think Mcbain is more expendable because of how well Faulk has played this season, his lack of physicality, and just a basic numbers game. I'd out of all our emerging dmen choose one to go, it would be Mcbain because Faulk, Harrison have been better. Gleason/Allen bring defensive aspect, i'd rather have Mcbain over Joni but i feel Mcbain would be easier to move because of age and contract size. If we lose Allen either at the deadline or offseason, everything he brings to the table needs to be replaced (size, defensive aspect, and shotblocking). I'm not going to argue with you about Mcbain because i feel having him on offense sometimes is like having a 4th forward, but in the grand scheme of things he can be replaced

I want Murphy on the team because he's putting up crazy numbers and has shown in his brief tenure that's he's not afraid of bigger guys. He was the #1 ranked defensive prospect last year or some jazz. If we want to see some of these prospects play someone has to go, it's simple math

I don't know if McBain is expendable or if Pitkanen is expendable, but I do believe one can and should be traded in order to bring in some top 6 help. Pitkanen has the higher salary and would probably bring back the best return, and oh yeah, he's been injured for quite some time and our D hasn't really missed him that much..

This is the bottom line i was trying to get across

Just wanted to say how psyched I am that JR locked up Ruu for 4 years. I was so worried that our biggest issue -- top 6 forwards -- was about to become an even bigger issue.

LOL at people saying the team is losing confidence in Cam. If anything, I feel they're TOO confident in him, which is why he sees so much rubber. I really thought the D played their hearts out the other night for Peters, to keep the shots to a minimum. I think Peters only faced 17 shots in that Caps game. Just a really solid defensive effort to keep Peters insulated from too many chances. The team feels like Cam will bail them out and he sees 30+ shots per game.

I agree that Tlusty is kicking butt and I love how he's got chemistry with Staal. I see that pairing continuing, with maybe Ruu staying on the top line (if we get a 2nd line center) or moving to 2nd line (if we get a 1st line winger).

And finally, LOL at the playoffs. We're, what, 6-2-2 in our last 10 games and we're STILL in last in the East. It's not that we're 7 games out of a playoff spot, it's that we'd have to climb over 6 other teams in less than two months of hockey. Maybe we get a little "Major League" miracle, but I'm not buying it.

bump to witchking

Anybody else think Muller sees Skinner at center, long term? IMO, he's struggling a bit, but he keeps getting rolled out there.

I'm not sure if Muller sees Skinner at center long term but he sure is getting a tryout in the middle. I also think he is struggling a bit. I'm not convinced center is where he should be but if that is the plan I expect he will rise to the occasion.

At this point I don't think there is a better option. Seems as if they're hesitant to use Jokinen there. Maybe Jussi is still nursing that knee injury and it's easier for him on the wing?

What did Cam ever do to you? Run over your dog? Sleep with your girl? Talk ugly about your mama?

You really do look for any fault in Cam, whether real, or imaginary. You do realize that Cam (and the team in front of him)has played quite well of late. They did put up a stellar effort against the Caps, but the Caps pretty much rolled over too. There is some legitimacy to the idea that the team may put up a fantastic effort in front of the back up, mainly because they don't have the confidence that they would have in the starter. That would be opposite your anti-Cam theory.

SD, Joni's not around to take the beating, might as well be Cam. There's a reason some posts never get a reply. Most of us use the "ignore" option.

Thank you, someone eventually had to say something maybe he'll listen to you.

Ok let's clear this up. Last time I checked Cam was a big boy. As long as people can post messages hammering defense, offense, Gm's,and coaches, then Cam can take a place in the line too. To call out a goalie who is rarely over .500 is the same as the criticism directed to others this season. So let's now clear up some of the responses that some fans and most in the media try to feed you when Cam's name comes up. " Cam got us the Cup", he had a great run in the playoffs, but Gerber had a great season to get us there. " Cam faces more shots than just about every other goalie", more a function of games played rather thanoverall shots, usually about a half a shot per game over the season. " Without Cam in goal the score would have been worse", a loss is a loss no matter how you slice it. " Cam is a All World Goalie", see the less than .500 number. Last point, look at the preformance of teams that make the playoffs, the teams that do well have developed back-ups that allow their #1 to play fewer than 70 by the time the playoffs start, Could be that a rested goalie takes you deep in the quest for the cup. Cam takes some lumps like all the others, let some backups play, and maybe we get back to regular playoff runs.