The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

At this point I don't think there is a better option. Seems as if they're hesitant to use Jokinen there. Maybe Jussi is still nursing that knee injury and it's easier for him on the wing?

I was wondering the same thing about Jussi. Sometimes he looks tentative out there but then other times he looks fine. I really hope JR signs a center this summer because I too like Skinner and Ruutu on the wing.

Jussi does seem to have lost that scoring touch this year and yet he is second on the team in points (tied with Skinner) and what he has given up in goals he seems to have made up in assists. He may still be nursing an injury or perhaps playing with Skinner has changed his role. Jussi is usually at his best late in the season.

Ok let's clear this up. Last time I checked Cam was a big boy. As long as people can post messages hammering defense, offense, Gm's,and coaches, then Cam can take a place in the line too. To call out a goalie who is rarely over .500 is the same as the criticism directed to others this season. So let's now clear up some of the responses that some fans and most in the media try to feed you when Cam's name comes up. 1. " Cam got us the Cup", he had a great run in the playoffs, but Gerber had a great season to get us there. " 2.Cam faces more shots than just about every other goalie", more a function of games played rather thanoverall shots, usually about a half a shot per game over the season. " Without Cam in goal the score would have been worse", 3. a loss is a loss no matter how you slice it. " Cam is a All World Goalie", 4. see the less than .500 number. Last point, look at the preformance of teams that make the playoffs, the teams that do well have developed back-ups that allow their #1 to play fewer than 70 by the time the playoffs start, Could be that a rested goalie takes you deep in the quest for the cup. Cam takes some lumps like all the others, let some backups play, and maybe we get back to regular playoff runs.

I hope your a big boy as well because everything you wrote was statistically inaccurate and made up.

1. At least on this forum, the only person who says that is DJ while he spends the next 2 paragraphs ripping him.

2. BS, we're 3rd in the league in shots against per game.

3. Yea and theres 19 other players that go into a loss not just a goalie. See Mike Murphy's 0 GA and loss game for example.

4. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55426 and for craps and giggles I'll even let you add the OTL's to the L column and he's still rarely UNDER .500.

You wanna try again?

Edited by legend-1

Ok let's clear this up. Last time I checked Cam was a big boy. As long as people can post messages hammering defense, offense, Gm's,and coaches, then Cam can take a place in the line too. To call out a goalie who is rarely over .500 is the same as the criticism directed to others this season. So let's now clear up some of the responses that some fans and most in the media try to feed you when Cam's name comes up. " Cam got us the Cup", he had a great run in the playoffs, but Gerber had a great season to get us there. " Cam faces more shots than just about every other goalie", more a function of games played rather thanoverall shots, usually about a half a shot per game over the season. " Without Cam in goal the score would have been worse", a loss is a loss no matter how you slice it. " Cam is a All World Goalie", see the less than .500 number. Last point, look at the preformance of teams that make the playoffs, the teams that do well have developed back-ups that allow their #1 to play fewer than 70 by the time the playoffs start, Could be that a rested goalie takes you deep in the quest for the cup. Cam takes some lumps like all the others, let some backups play, and maybe we get back to regular playoff runs.

Nice to meet you. I didn't know that DJ Harley had a family member that posted on here.

I don't recall making any of the points that you are listing. My point was that Cam wasn't responsible for every bad thing that has happened in recent history, including the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the Haitian earthquake, and the Japan tsunami. In DJ's post, he was finding another fault in Cam and Cam wasn't even in uniform for the game.

edit: Legend, you beat me to it, but just barely.

Edited by super_dave_1

Jussi does seem to have lost that scoring touch this year and yet he is second on the team in points (tied with Skinner) and what he has given up in goals he seems to have made up in assists. He may still be nursing an injury or perhaps playing with Skinner has changed his role. Jussi is usually at his best late in the season.

I have a hard time judging any player this year about their points. There were so many factors that led to the first half of the season debacle that its hard to look at one players production (or lack of) and not at least consider how the whole team factored in.

Since Muller has taken over, there seems to be milestones this team keeps learning to achieve in order to move to the next level. Accountability and playing for 60 minutes were the first big ones and there's been quite a few more. The two last walls to climb that I see are 1) being able to put a string of wins together (at least being able to get that illusive 3rd win in a row) and 2) Starting the season on time and not depending on that second half of the season surge.

I think they can hit the string of wins milestone but we'll have to wait until next season to see how they do with the final one.

I have a hard time judging any player this year about their points. There were so many factors that led to the first half of the season debacle that its hard to look at one players production (or lack of) and not at least consider how the whole team factored in.

This. The previous two years Jussi averaged just about 25 goals and just under 60 points. This team was in a funk from top to bottom to start this year. Cam, the D, Staal, Ruutu, and Jussi. Heck, even the new man of the moment, Tlusty wasn't putting up numbers during that time. Jussi is #82 in the league in assists for forwards out of 569. And that's in a year that this team had some serious offensive issues. (BTW: Eric Staal is #30 in the league in assists those who think Staal can't make plays).

Anyway, Jussi and Ruutu are both guys who I believe will produce. These are also both guys who are tweeners: ok first liners, but smoking second liners. So, if we can put together a nice first line and keep Skins and Finns together, that could easily be one of, if not the best second lines in the NHL.

If we got a sniper first line winger, Jussi could easily be the playmaking first line winger.

Anyway, Jussi will be fine.

If Tlusty is really a first or second liner BTW, then all this team needs is ONE top line forward and we will be good to go.

BRyan, Staal, Jussi, Skinner, Ruutu, Tlusty or let's get crazy.

Nash Staal Tlusty

Skins and Fins.

Sutter and pick two.

Seriously, I know Nash is a crazy long shot, but how is that not a playoff front 9? What is 3-4 years of playoffs worth? Or dare I say another cup run?

Teams would to HAVE to focus their top D on Nash/Staal, and Skins and Fins would light them up. That second line has proven 25-30-30 goal scorers. On the SECOND line? Come on!

I really don't see why JR can't clear out some salary and make a serious move on a top 3 guy. Maybe not Nash, but the next level.

Edited by remkin

This. The previous two years Jussi averaged just about 25 goals and just under 60 points. This team was in a funk from top to bottom to start this year. Cam, the D, Staal, Ruutu, and Jussi. Heck, even the new man of the moment, Tlusty wasn't putting up numbers during that time. Jussi is #82 in the league in assists for forwards out of 569. And that's in a year that this team had some serious offensive issues. (BTW: Eric Staal is #30 in the league in assists those who think Staal can't make plays).

Anyway, Jussi and Ruutu are both guys who I believe will produce. These are also both guys who are tweeners: ok first liners, but smoking second liners. So, if we can put together a nice first line and keep Skins and Finns together, that could easily be one of, if not the best second lines in the NHL.

If we got a sniper first line winger, Jussi could easily be the playmaking first line winger.

Anyway, Jussi will be fine.

If Tlusty is really a first or second liner BTW, then all this team needs is ONE top line forward and we will be good to go.

BRyan, Staal, Jussi, Skinner, Ruutu, Tlusty or let's get crazy.

Nash Staal Tlusty

Skins and Fins.

Sutter and pick two.

Seriously, I know Nash is a crazy long shot, but how is that not a playoff front 9? What is 3-4 years of playoffs worth? Or dare I say another cup run?

Teams would to HAVE to focus their top D on Nash/Staal, and Skins and Fins would light them up. That second line has proven 25-30-30 goal scorers. On the SECOND line? Come on!

I really don't see why JR can't clear out some salary and make a serious move on a top 3 guy. Maybe not Nash, but the next level.

From your post to JR's ears!! I share your feelings. But I always worry about that old intangible called "chemistry". Wish there was some way to know if any new high-quality guy would have that special chemistry within our top 6. Beside money, maybe that's what gives JR heartburn too.

From your post to JR's ears!! I share your feelings. But I always worry about that old intangible called "chemistry". Wish there was some way to know if any new high-quality guy would have that special chemistry within our top 6. Beside money, maybe that's what gives JR heartburn too.

I guess it's an educated guess on chemistry, but great players are more likely to gel and push each other so long as they're not prima donnas.

But the more I think about Nash, that just isn't happening. Gotta think major market there. His contract is just too much for JR and PK to swallow. I do sense that JR/PK are ready to go out and land a guy, but not quite at that level.

Maybe $5 mill/year up to $6 mill for just the perfect guy. Still not JR/PK's style or capability to land the whale. But a nice big tuna would do. I keep drifting back to Bobby Ryan....tonight.

Just wonder if we have the pieces. What would we give up? McBain plus? Pitkanen plus?

Edited by remkin

I guess it's an educated guess on chemistry, but great players are more likely to gel and push each other so long as they're not prima donnas.

But the more I think about Nash, that just isn't happening. Gotta think major market there. His contract is just too much for JR and PK to swallow. I do sense that JR/PK are ready to go out and land a guy, but not quite at that level.

Maybe $5 mill/year up to $6 mill for just the perfect guy. Still not JR/PK's style or capability to land the whale. But a nice big tuna would do. I keep drifting back to Bobby Ryan....tonight.

Just wonder if we have the pieces. What would we give up? McBain plus? Pitkanen plus?

A Big Tuna would be very good for us. Ryan is probably the biggest/best tuna ($5-6M)out there and he's realatively young. Since our depth is defense, JR would probably have to work a trade with a team that needs to bolster their blueline. I'm not sure he would have salary room to do a straight UFA signing during the summer.

I'd love to have Bobby Ryan too but I doubt that we have what Bob Murray expects in return.

Last month he said "I'm not rebuilding and seeking draft picks. If I trade a core player, it would be for another core-type player."

McBain plus? Pitkanen plus? just doesn't seem to fit that equation.

The way the Ducks are playing I seriously doubt Ryan is available. I know I'm going to get some flack for this but how about taking a flyer on a guy like Semin? Just a 1 year deal to see if he's willing to work. Best shot in the world in my opinion.

I thought I read somewhere that the Kings might have Jack Johnson on the trade block too. I DONT see JJ coming back to Carolina but a three-way deal that sends defense to LA might be a nice dream. I'd really like to see what a healthy Pitkanen can do in Muller's system but the team has played well without him. Tough decisions for JR.......

The way the Ducks are playing I seriously doubt Ryan is available. I know I'm going to get some flack for this but how about taking a flyer on a guy like Semin? Just a 1 year deal to see if he's willing to work. Best shot in the world in my opinion.

I might take a chance. Washington is a mess and he might just need a change of scenery to re-focus, and playing with a team that has leadership and good chemistry could do wonders for him. I do worry about his reputation of not being a good team player but that could also come from the issues in Washington.

I think we're all wanting to see that splash of a move that we haven't seen in Carolina for years.. We want to be shown that, yes, the Carolina Hurricanes are here to try and win it all.

I DO find it very interesting what JR said on NHL Live a couple of days ago. He was talking about the team that trades for the big piece (like Nash) is usually the winner of the deal.

This team DOES have assets; this team does have holes; and this team does have cap space. Make it happen!

I think we're all wanting to see that splash of a move that we haven't seen in Carolina for years.. We want to be shown that, yes, the Carolina Hurricanes are here to try and win it all.

I DO find it very interesting what JR said on NHL Live a couple of days ago. He was talking about the team that trades for the big piece (like Nash) is usually the winner of the deal.

This team DOES have assets; this team does have holes; and this team does have cap space. Make it happen!

I would think a fairly big time signing would boost ticket sales for next year. Heck for this year if it happened this year.

On the one hand guys like Nash and Parise really seem out of range. On the other hand, what a splash it would be. I have to think season ticket sales would go up with that kind of move. Might be enough to cover $1 million of extra salary at least.

Edited by remkin

The only problem would be Nash, or another big piece, wanting to come here. I would think most of these highly paid dudes have a NMC of some sort.

The only problem would be Nash, or another big piece, wanting to come here. I would think most of these highly paid dudes have a NMC of some sort.

You may be right, and I'm not by any means suggesting we trade for Nash. But there are other names available.. Semin (eh..), Parise, I heard Pavelski may be availble, Ryan, Stastny..

Something, ANYTHING to make the fans say, "Wow.. awesome.."

Edited by jeromeo87

Nash does. Plus, he's one of the top 20 best paid guys in the league and will move higher as his deal unfolds. Staal is #16. Hard to believe that a small market team is going to have 2 of the highest paid guys in the league. Ward's in the top 50.

We can dream.

But move down the list a little and we can be serious.

Nash does. Plus, he's one of the top 20 best paid guys in the league and will move higher as his deal unfolds. Staal is #16. Hard to believe that a small market team is going to have 2 of the highest paid guys in the league. Ward's in the top 50.

We can dream.

But move down the list a little and we can be serious.

As you move down the list you might have to overpay in relation to the player's production. There really isn't anyone out there UFA wise at the moment. Parise is a pipe dream as he'll be resigned by the Devils. Semin could be plausible but JR doesn't seem to be into the Russians. So it pretty much comes down to a trade. Now if he goes this route there are so many teams in the thick of things right now that it'll be costly or impossible to find what he wants. Leading up to the draft is when we could see a trade. JRs job is super tough right now. From now until the start of next season is crucial in determining the future Cup chances of this team. He knows that and PK and the ownership group should know it as well. The core is locked up, now it's time to get the complimentary pieces.

The core is locked up, now it's time to get the complimentary pieces.

I would say this. While the core is good, one of the missing pieces is a big piece. Maybe complimentary in the way Bobby Ryan might complement Staal, but I think the key is that we land at least one big piece. A big tuna if you will.

I would say this. While the core is good, one of the missing pieces is a big piece. Maybe complimentary in the way Bobby Ryan might complement Staal, but I think the key is that we land at least one big piece. A big tuna if you will.

Agreed. But what is that big piece? Is it a first line winger? Or is it a second line center, leaving Tlusty Staal and Ruutu together?

I believe we NEED a second line center just as much as we NEED a first line winger. Skinner is struggling as a center, and Jokinen can't seem to solidy himself there. I'm starting to wonder if Jokinen may be trade bait to fill in one of these holes.. His production is down.. A Jokinen&McBain package could real in a rather large tuna..

Tlusty Staal New Guy

Skinner New Guy Ruutu

Jokinen isn't a third liner.. Of course, it would suck if we traded Jokinen to fill in one of these holes and Tlusty's play turned out to be a fluke.. We would then be wishing we still had Jokinen to take his spot.. Man, this GM thing isn't easy..

Edited by jeromeo87

I would agree with this but I have a feeling the bait to catch a big tuna might be too much. Maybe a big ol' drum?

well monday we will know... still a big one to play tonight.. looks like cammer will be ready saturday[fingers crossed]one game at :thumbsup2: a time.. just saying

I hope your a big boy as well because everything you wrote was statistically inaccurate and made up.

1. At least on this forum, the only person who says that is DJ while he spends the next 2 paragraphs ripping him.

2. BS, we're 3rd in the league in shots against per game.

3. Yea and theres 19 other players that go into a loss not just a goalie. See Mike Murphy's 0 GA and loss game for example.

4. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55426 and for craps and giggles I'll even let you add the OTL's to the L column and he's still rarely UNDER .500.

You wanna try again?

OK I'll try, this should be easy

2011-2012 season so far

Ward 1562 s/a 51 gp 51 gs 30.627 shots per game

Rinne 1638 s/a 54 gp 54gs 30.333

Thomas 1193 s/a 40 gp 38 gs 29.825

Lundquist 1321 s/a 44 gp 44gs 30.0227

Again I'll say the number of shots faced is more a function of games played, but when you look at the average of shots faced per game ther is not much difference. 3 out of the 4 above will be goung to the playoffs as of now.

Now here was my mistake I should have said .500 and under

2006-2007 30 wins 60 games played

2007-2008 37 wins 69 games played

2008-2009 39 wins 68 games played

2009-2010 18 wins 47 games played

2010-2011 37 wins 74 games played

2011-2012 21 wins 51 games played

So far 2 seasons over .500 we will have to see about this one.

Sorry my stats were so far off, Iguess I should hop on the bandwagon while it still slowly going by.

Only 9 games left in the season at the RBC center. On March 15 the barn becomes the PNC center. I wonder how long it will take me to call it that.

Read more: Name Change

Only 9 games left in the season at the RBC center. On March 15 the barn becomes the PNC center. I wonder how long it will take me to call it that.

Read more: Name Change

This could be fun:

Leading up to the building’s name change, www.CarolinaHurricanes.com will count down the top 25 Hurricanes moments in RBC Center history, as one clip is unveiled each day, with the No. 1 moment being unveiled the morning of March 15.