The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

What the hell are you ranting about now?

Just comenting on how some were upset about $100 for 20 games on tv. No rant. Or are you the only one with relevant comments.

Must be a money thing then because Allen seemed pretty high on us.

Well you say some people, but you mean me because I'm the only person who said it and I don't care what you think about what I should do with my money.

So....anyway...

I'll miss them but if Allen's not on the numbers with him we've gotta move em. I also have enjoyed Spacek's time here but it's time to let him go. I feel bad about Spacek I kinda wonder how much family time he's been able to have this year and if moving him again is going to effect that. It's a business obviously and we gotta move him but I sometimes wonder how the home life get's tested on these things.

Edited by legend-1

I'm not saying we aren't going to be a playoff team, but there are still a lot of question marks. Has Ruutu become the first line winger we've been wanting? Who's our second line center? Who's replacing Allen if he leaves? He is our #1 shot blocker..

I think if we can secure a Top 1st liner, Ruutu will slide and fit very well with Jokinen and Skinner.

Looking at the league, here are some young players that are UFAs/RFAs at the end of the season:

Dustin Penner-LW (UFA) Salary- 4.25

Erik Johnson-D (RFA) Salary- 3

Cam Barker-D (RFA) Salary- 2.25

Kris Versteeg-RW (RFA) Salary- 3.08

Mason Raymond-LW (RFA) Salary- 2.6

Edited by hopper915

I'm not saying we aren't going to be a playoff team, but there are still a lot of question marks. Has Ruutu become the first line winger we've been wanting? Who's our second line center? Who's replacing Allen if he leaves? He is our #1 shot blocker..

If we stop this crazy notion of making the playoffs, and get a top pick, that guy plus a legit top winger will make a big difference.

In an ideal world JR figures out how to find a higher end-value second line center.

Higher end value forward would be like a Stillman or Whitney of old. A guy with serious chops who is not considered elite or near elite at the moment.

Jussi-Staal-TopWinger

Skinner-Higher end Value guy-Ruutu

Tlusty-Sutter-High Pick

I know it seems odd putting Jussi on that top line, but the 30 goal, playmaking guy of a couple of years ago could be there, or Ruutu could move up. If the top guy is a top 2 or 3 pick, he might actually be able to contribute on the second line.

There is a LOT of scoring in that top 9.

Playoffs? Oh definitely.

We get our first look at Boychuk in the new system. I think he is much better suited to play under Muller than Mo.

At least he will get a fair look and not be stuck with 4 min. on the 4th line !

At least he will get a fair look and not be stuck with 4 min. on the 4th line !

This is just completely false. Boychuk has had premium chances on the top lines under Mo and didn't take advantage of it. Get your facts straight. But, with that said, I do agree that I hope Muller can bring out of Boychuk what Mo couldn't.

Edited by coastal_caniac

This is just completely false. Boychuk has had premium chances on the top lines under Mo and didn't take advantage of it. Get your facts straight. But, with that said, I do agree that I hope Muller can bring out of Boychuk what Mo couldn't.

I think you should probably check your facts or redefine premium chances. 2 games at a time on a top line does not equal premium chance in my book. Look at Tlusty, Mo tried him with Staal a couple games and not much happened. Muller stuck with his lines and now with chemistry he's killing it. In my opinion Boychuk needs the same opportunity before people can give up on him. He has a wicked release, he's creative and he's shifty. Tonight I'd like to see Bowman move down to the Sutter line and Boychuk play with Skinner. Boychuk knows this his last chance. I really don't know how fans can come to the conclusion that Boychuk is a bust when all he's been given is a sniff or two. Everyone labeled Tlusty a bust...

I think you should probably check your facts or redefine premium chances. 2 games at a time on a top line does not equal premium chance in my book. Look at Tlusty, Mo tried him with Staal a couple games and not much happened. Muller stuck with his lines and now with chemistry he's killing it. In my opinion Boychuk needs the same opportunity before people can give up on him. He has a wicked release, he's creative and he's shifty. Tonight I'd like to see Bowman move down to the Sutter line and Boychuk play with Skinner. Boychuk knows this his last chance. I really don't know how fans can come to the conclusion that Boychuk is a bust when all he's been given is a sniff or two. Everyone labeled Tlusty a bust...

Isn't 54 games in 3 years a little more than a sniff or two? If it was 8 or 9 games a season over that time, yeah, but it's not. I continue to hope Boychuk came find his game with the big club, but thus far, he has had his chances and for some reason can't show enough to stick.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Isn't 54 games in 3 years a little more than a sniff or two? If it was 8 or 9 games a season over that time, yeah, but it's not. I continue to hope Boychuk came find his game with the big club, but thus far, he has had his chances and for some reason can't show enough to stick.

That's bologna, most of that time has been in a 4th line role. You expect a 5'10" kid to excel in that role? He was drafted as a scorer. He did not spend those 54 games on Staal's wing, Cullen's wing, Jokinen's wing, or even Sutter's wing. It was a game or two at a time. That is a sniff. I'm sorry but Boychuk playing with Bodie is not the same thing as Boychuk playing with Staal or Skinner or even freakin LaRose for that matter.

Boychuk is going to have to prove he can play with the "big boys", and I mean that literally. We've hashed this before... But his size is going to be a problem. He needs to bring something else to the table.

Tonight's a good test. Nashville just added another beast. Gausted is 6'5". Sure, Nashvill has Tootoo (probably always will -- he's their Chad LaRose), but generally, they've always relied on pushing the other team around.

That's bologna, most of that time has been in a 4th line role. You expect a 5'10" kid to excel in that role? He was drafted as a scorer. He did not spend those 54 games on Staal's wing, Cullen's wing, Jokinen's wing, or even Sutter's wing. It was a game or two at a time. That is a sniff. I'm sorry but Boychuk playing with Bodie is not the same thing as Boychuk playing with Staal or Skinner or even freakin LaRose for that matter.

Well, he's on the last year of his ELC, and he appears to be buried in the prospect depth chart. After 3 years, there must be a reason he hasn't gotten a sniff, as you put it. What might that be in your estimation, other than his play?

Well, he's on the last year of his ELC, and he appears to be buried in the prospect depth chart. After 3 years, there must be a reason he hasn't gotten a sniff, as you put it. What might that be in your estimation, other than his play?

Chip has a good article up now...13 games this year under Mo and he averaged less than 8 min/game.

Quote from Muller..."I said to him, 'When I came here I hadn't an opportunity to call you up yet. You've been here before. You've got to play hard. ... You've got to play as hard without the puck as with it. You've got to win your battles and compete. And it's up to you what you do with it. You're not coming in on the fourth line, you're on the second. You're playing with two good players. It's up to you what you make from it. Show me the energy, show the enthusiasm, show me the hard work, show me that you can play five-on-five hockey and we'll go from there."

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/boychuk-gets-the-call-another-opportunity#storylink=cpy

Those are words our prospects would NEVER hear from Maurice...love the new coach and what he is bringing to this team.

Chip has a good article up now...13 games this year under Mo and he averaged less than 8 min/game.

Quote from Muller..."I said to him, 'When I came here I hadn't an opportunity to call you up yet. You've been here before. You've got to play hard. ... You've got to play as hard without the puck as with it. You've got to win your battles and compete. And it's up to you what you do with it. You're not coming in on the fourth line, you're on the second. You're playing with two good players. It's up to you what you make from it. Show me the energy, show the enthusiasm, show me the hard work, show me that you can play five-on-five hockey and we'll go from there."

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/boychuk-gets-the-call-another-opportunity#storylink=cpy

Those are words our prospects would NEVER hear from Maurice...love the new coach and what he is bringing to this team.

Wow. I'm liking this guy more and more.

Yes---he got some chances on the top lines under Mo----but when he made mistakes or was not

"defensively responsible" his ice time got cut. Muller allows the young guys to play through

their mistakes, believing that is how they learn. Totally different approach to bringing the youth

up to speed !! IMO

That was a great article by Chip. Maurice was ridiculously biased against prospects the entire time here. Like previous posters have said, Maurice would constantly put them on the 4th line and cut their minutes as soon as they made 1 little mistake. At the same time, he would double shift Staal and send him out there for an absurd amount of minutes. Is Staal a Selke winner that never makes defensive mistakes? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that question. The veteran players never had accountability when they were lazy defensively. Only the prospects. What a joke. Montreal must be kicking themselves right now for letting Muller get away.

Edited by Justin8649

Mo and Muller are of the same generation in age, but in different generations on coaching strategy.

Mo always struck me as being really old school, you know, pay your dues, come up through the ranks, pecking order, all that stuff.

As a matter of fact, I remember in Mo #1, he was always announced as "MR. Paul Maurice". That struck my ear. It was a real throw back to the old days of hockey pecking order. He wasn't Paul, or "Mo", he was Mister.

Why we ever had Mo #2 we'll never know.

Montreal must be kicking themselves right now for letting Muller get away.

Maybe. But does he speak fluent French? That's really all that matters.

The common theme amongst the other call ups has been preparation. While I hate to say it having not seen Boychuk in the offseason, my bet would be that he hasnt fully bought in 100% to what the coaching staff/trainers/management want him to do. With the golf and not being here for Camp Rosey one has to wonder. But now with Muller and his attitude towards these new guys we'll find out if Boychuk can hack it or not.

"You've got to play as hard without the puck as with it. You've got to win your battles and compete. And it's up to you what you do with it. You're not coming in on the fourth line, you're on the second. You're playing with two good players. It's up to you what you make from it. Show me the energy, show the enthusiasm, show me the hard work, show me that you can play five-on-five hockey and we'll go from there."

That quote from Muller pretty much sums it up for me, and why I think Boychuk hasn't gotten the "fair chance" as a top draft pick. Quit floating, waiting for the puck to come to you, and get in the play. He's done it at the AHL level.

There's no doubt Mo's philosophy with prospects didn't work either time he was here. But regardless of what line he's been on, he has to start making it happen away from the puck.

I really, really hope Muller can find a way to get that side of his game up another level. No one wants to see Boychuk fail.

"You've got to play as hard without the puck as with it. You've got to win your battles and compete. And it's up to you what you do with it. You're not coming in on the fourth line, you're on the second. You're playing with two good players. It's up to you what you make from it. Show me the energy, show the enthusiasm, show me the hard work, show me that you can play five-on-five hockey and we'll go from there."

That quote from Muller pretty much sums it up for me, and why I think Boychuk hasn't gotten the "fair chance" as a top draft pick. Quit floating, waiting for the puck to come to you, and get in the play. He's done it at the AHL level.

There's no doubt Mo's philosophy with prospects didn't work either time he was here. But regardless of what line he's been on, he has to start making it happen away from the puck.

I really, really hope Muller can find a way to get that side of his game up another level. No one wants to see Boychuk fail.

I agree. You think Boychuk played like that because of Coach Mo? I think it's a fair question to ask. It's almost as if he knew he'd be back on the 4th line riding the bench anyway.

I agree. You think Boychuk played like that because of Coach Mo? I think it's a fair question to ask. It's almost as if he knew he'd be back on the 4th line riding the bench anyway.

I honestly don't know jive. I would hope not. I certainly agree Mo favored vets over prospects.

I honestly don't know jive. I would hope not. I certainly agree Mo favored vets over prospects.

Whatever the case may have been I honestly think Muller is turning out to be an awesome choice not only for the vets on the team but for the young fringe guys as well. I will say it has been very hard for me to write off guys like Dalpe/Boychuk/Samson when they were never really given the chances to succeed in a role that suited their style of play.