The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I heard it straight out of Mo's mouth (at one of the STH events) that he liked to give young players a taste, and then send them back to the AHL. I can see why they would think that it didn't matter what they did, they were going back. That isn't the way to motivate young players.

Mo would give a youngun' a chance and as soon at they made a mistake, they were stapled to the bench. Boychuk though, hasn't made the most of his opportunities, including full participation in all "unofficial" pre-season workouts. He has been to 4 training camps and can't stick. This may be his last chance to show Muller he is part of the solution.

Ya, Boychuck is an enigma. I've seen flashes of skill, and he has put up some decent AHL numbers, but really hasn't shown it at the NHL level obviously.

I've wanted to stay with the guy because in general we have not excelled at bringing along the guys who are not so obvious that even I could see they were stars. That whole range of Boychuk/Dalpe/Bowman/Nash/Samson even Tlusty to some exent. But there are a lot of productive guys who took a few years to find their game, Tlusty being an example. But then again about 50% of 1st rounders never see 100 NHL games and are basically busts.

I am also very intersted to see what Boychuk can do with this last real chance under a new coach. I just wonder if he can catch a break and get some confidence if he might still have some significant upside, even as a trade piece.

Come on Zach. Bring it.

Edited by remkin

Why do we have to keep Sutter on a checking line with marginal talent around him? Instead of a Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards, we are turning him into a John Madden. Bowman has only 2 minutes less of power play time than Brandon this year and Bowman's only played 22 games! I find the obsession with pairing Brandon next to a Nodl or Dwyer mind-boggling. Why can't we put some scoring talent around our 2nd best center? Example:

Tlusty-Staal-Samson(Ruutu when healthy)

Jokinen-Sutter-Skinner

Nodl-Brent-Bowman(Dwyer when healthy)

Stewart-BrettSutter-Joslin

What are the issues with a lineup like that?

I don't know dude, I'd like to see Sutter on the second line, too. If for nothing else, just to see how it would work. He is supposed to be a Brind'Amour type, well, Rod didn't spend much time as a checking line center.

Because Sutter is a great Defensive forward so having him on the 3rd line makes us a deeper team. That gives us 2 scoring lines and a shutdown checking line that can still score occasionally. If we move him to 2nd line center, we have 2 better scoring lines, but a weak checking line that will almost never score. I dont know which would be better but I think that 3rd line has done great recently

Why do we have to keep Sutter on a checking line with marginal talent around him? Instead of a Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards, we are turning him into a John Madden. Bowman has only 2 minutes less of power play time than Brandon this year and Bowman's only played 22 games! I find the obsession with pairing Brandon next to a Nodl or Dwyer mind-boggling. Why can't we put some scoring talent around our 2nd best center? Example:

Tlusty-Staal-Samson(Ruutu when healthy)

Jokinen-Sutter-Skinner

Nodl-Brent-Bowman(Dwyer when healthy)

Stewart-BrettSutter-Joslin

What are the issues with a lineup like that?

Kind of a weird place for this question in the trade deadline thread, but what the hay. It's a fair question and one that was discussed quite a bit over the summer, and even more during the disaster that was November.

I posted this idea in the off season thread, and to kind of get at your point in a round about way, I am beginning to believe that Muller has decided to keep Skinner at center permanently. If you remember, when Skinner was drafted, JR stated that they wanted Skinner to eventually play center ice.

If this were to play out, then Sutter isn't moving off of the third line. Personally, I think Sutter, Dwyer, and the revolving door of other third line wingers (e.g. Tlusty, now Nodl) have done a nice job, particularly under Muller, and in the role they've been asked to fill. Would I like to see more scoring from that line, sure, but it's not like they have added nothing on the score sheet.

I'm willing to cut Skinner some slack why he learns to play the center position in the big leagues, if that's where he will stay. As far as Sutter, I think his role as the checking line center was defined 2 seasons ago.

Staal, Skinner, Sutter, and Brent isn't too shabby down the middle, even though Skinner is struggling some now.

Edit: We could bump the last few posts over to the between games thread since the deadline is over?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Anybody else beginning to think Muller will keep Skinner at center permanently?

I think he will give Skinner every chance to stick in the center. I'm still not sure if it will be permanent. I expect that decision will come later.

Thought last night's game may give us a good glimpse at next year and a few things to ponder. Boychuk looked very good and very comfortable on the 2nd line; Bowman and Sutter looked very good and I thought they gave us very solid defensive play along with a definite scoring threat. Let's assume we see some consistency from Boychuk and pick up that top 6 forward in the off season...

Ruutu Staal _____

Boychuk Skinner Jokinen

Bowman Sutter Tlusty

Dwyer/LaRose Brent Stewart

I think the team needs to deal with the fact that one of Dwyer or LaRose needs to be let loose; what do we do with Samson (I like his game but he is not a permanent 1st line winger); Nodl...I also like his game, he's young at 25 but I think Bowman and Tlusty are better all around players; Joslin...I also like his game and he looks really good on that 4th line and with a summer to train, he could honestly be a permanent fixture there...These are good problems to have and I think it will make for a very interesting off-season...heck it might make for a very interesting March if Boychuk continues to play as well as he did last night and Dwyer/LaRose get healthy.

Edited by Law-Dawg

Anybody else beginning to think Muller will keep Skinner at center permanently?

Yeah, I think he's going to be given every chancce to stay at center. If you listened to JR over the last couple of days, he kept mentioned how we needed "one maybe two players." We all know Staal needs a winger; maybe he means if Skinner doesn't work out at center, they will have to get one.

Boychuk/Skinner/Jokinen= "The Midge Line"

EDIT: For those wondering about Sutter, could a player like Gaustad, assuming he's not resigned by the Preds, bump Sutter up to the second line?

Edited by jfive

Skinner owned the face-off circle last night (against Nashville). That is very encouraging, not that I expect him to repeat that success every night, but like Forslund said (I think), once you taste success in a new aspect of your game, it makes you want to get even better at it. Look at Staal... he changed dramatically almost overnight. I imagine that whatever he learned recently can also help Skinner. That, by itself is a huge aspect of the center position that can make Skinner a mainstay there. He just needs to get the defensive side down and continue winning face-offs, then he will have earned the 2nd line center role, to me.

So tonight we have Steward on the top line, Boychuk on the second and Joslin on the third.

Why is it when MO pulled out the blender we felt he was grasping at straws but when Muller pulls out the mixer we feel like he has a plan?

I guess winning will do that for you.

I'm glad to see that Stewart is getting a chance on the top line, he has been playing well lately, hopefully it can continue tonight against the Rangers. Should be a fun crowd tonight.

So tonight we have Steward on the top line, Boychuk on the second and Joslin on the third.

Why is it when MO pulled out the blender we felt he was grasping at straws but when Muller pulls out the mixer we feel like he has a plan?

I guess winning will do that for you.

For me, it is because I don't think he would be doing this if we were fighting for a playoff spot. You could hear it in JR's post trade deadline press conference. They have thrown in the towel, and this is just personnel evaluation and trying stuff to see what works for next season.

If he does this next season, I'll be surprised.

Skinner owned the face-off circle last night (against Nashville). That is very encouraging, not that I expect him to repeat that success every night, but like Forslund said (I think), once you taste success in a new aspect of your game, it makes you want to get even better at it. Look at Staal... he changed dramatically almost overnight. I imagine that whatever he learned recently can also help Skinner. That, by itself is a huge aspect of the center position that can make Skinner a mainstay there. He just needs to get the defensive side down and continue winning face-offs, then he will have earned the 2nd line center role, to me.

...think Skinner was above 60% against Florida too. As for Staal, every aspect of his game has gone through the roof after Oct & Nov.

For me, it is because I don't think he would be doing this if we were fighting for a playoff spot. You could hear it in JR's post trade deadline press conference. They have thrown in the towel, and this is just personnel evaluation and trying stuff to see what works for next season.

If he does this next season, I'll be surprised.

Pretty much, this is him giving players their opportunity to show what they're worth so he can start laying out what/who he wants next year.

yea, it looks bleak... but we will be spoilers, im jumping on the jets to win division and of course the craps to miss out on playoffs, if we dont go on that 16-3 run.. :twilight-zone:

I have to be overall very impressed with what Muller has done with this team.

Our current top 12 includes 3 AHL, 1 waiver wire pickup, 1 signed 4th liner, 1 marginal defenseman out of position, and an unproven hopeful in Stewart, that's 7/12.

Yet this team is in every game, even vs. the mighty Rangers.

This is very encouraging. Chances are that we will make our move for the draft pick on the upcoming road trip. Sorry, but we must take our medicine and get well next year.

Still, if this team can play this well, imagine this team with upgrades.

I have to be overall very impressed with what Muller has done with this team.

Our current top 12 includes 3 AHL, 1 waiver wire pickup, 1 signed 4th liner, 1 marginal defenseman out of position, and an unproven hopeful in Stewart, that's 7/12.

Yet this team is in every game, even vs. the mighty Rangers.

This is very encouraging. Chances are that we will make our move for the draft pick on the upcoming road trip. Sorry, but we must take our medicine and get well next year.

Still, if this team can play this well, imagine this team with upgrades.

You're right on what we're throwing offensively at other teams. But that's probably why several top teams use their back-up goalies against us. The Canes have been very competitive since the ASG break. NYR was only our 2nd regulation loss in quite some time.

... that's probably why several top teams use their back-up goalies against us.

That is very true, especially in our building as teams like to use the back up on the road. Some teams have good back-ups so it's not always a huge factor, but it is a good point in assessing how good we think we are.

Canes Reassign Justin Peters to Charlotte

Brian Boucher to be removed from injured reserve

Friday, 03.02.2012 / 10:20 AM / News By Ken Preston \

8471251.jpg Peters

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned goaltender Justin Peters to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that netminder Brian Boucher, who has been sidelined since Dec. 5 with a lower-body injury, will be removed from injured reserve.

Peters, 25, was recalled to Carolina from Charlotte on emergency conditions on Dec. 14. The Blythe, Ont., native played in seven games during the recall, posting a 2-3-2 record, a 2.48 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. He made six starts in that span, and recorded his first NHL shutout in the Hurricanes’ 5-0 win on Feb. 20 against the Washington Capitals at the RBC Center. Peters (6’1”, 205 lbs.) is in his sixth professional season and has posted an 11-11-3 record, 3.23 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in 28 career NHL games with Carolina. The Hurricanes drafted Peters in the second round, 38th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Boucher ready to go, lots of bumps of bruises getting rested today. Nodl, Boychuk, Bowman, Joslin, Stewart, LaRose, Samson and Boucher skating today.

Kind of feel for the guy, but he hasn't proven he can play at the NHL level longterm. Wonder if Boucher will get the start on Saturday

Boucher ready to go, lots of bumps of bruises getting rested today. Nodl, Boychuk, Bowman, Joslin, Stewart, LaRose, Samson and Boucher skating today.

Peters, 25, was recalled to Carolina from Charlotte on emergency conditions on Dec. 14. The Blythe, Ont., native played in seven games during the recall, posting a 2-3-2 record, a 2.48 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. He made six starts in that span, and recorded his first NHL shutout in the Hurricanes’ 5-0 win on Feb. 20 against the Washington Capitals at the RBC Center. Peters (6’1”, 205 lbs.) is in his sixth professional season and has posted an 11-11-3 record, 3.23 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in 28 career NHL games with Carolina.

Considering the team in front of him, that he was frequently thrown to the wolves early on in his NHL career, and that he has had almost zero chance to settle in and get repetition, those really are not bad numbers.

BRIAN BOUCHER 0-4-1 3.27 .888 This year. (And 2.70/.901 Career)

Peters career numbers are better than Boucher this year, and his numbers with a few starts in a row are much better.

I have to wonder if either one of them has any trade value. Peters in the AHL this year is one thing, but next year? A waste.

Edited by remkin