The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

i think its more not losing ur job to injury, regarding Boucher. and i think Peters has proven himself..and Cams there.

Peters, 25, was recalled to Carolina from Charlotte on emergency conditions on Dec. 14. The Blythe, Ont., native played in seven games during the recall, posting a 2-3-2 record, a 2.48 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. He made six starts in that span, and recorded his first NHL shutout in the Hurricanes’ 5-0 win on Feb. 20 against the Washington Capitals at the RBC Center. Peters (6’1”, 205 lbs.) is in his sixth professional season and has posted an 11-11-3 record, 3.23 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in 28 career NHL games with Carolina.

Considering the team in front of him, that he was frequently thrown to the wolves early on in his NHL career, and that he has had almost zero chance to settle in and get repetition, those really are not bad numbers.

BRIAN BOUCHER 0-4-1 3.27 .888 This year. (And 2.70/.901 Career)

Peters career numbers are better than Boucher this year, and his numbers with a few starts in a row are much better.

I have to wonder if either one of them has any trade value. Peters in the AHL this year is one thing, but next year? A waste.

Just a couple of thoughts. First, Boucher only played for Mo's Canes and not the new and improved Muller Canes. Next I thought they wanted Peters playing in Charlotte instead of riding the bench in Raleigh to hope he would develop further ... I assume to an NHL level goalie. Maybe then he would get a shot elsewhere.

Well it's only seven games but Peter's numbers with the new Canes are 2.48 GA, .931 save %.

Peters GAA and saves % are pretty good at the NHL level but IMO he's young and needs to play more frequently than he is here. If he is ever going to get a shot at an NHL starting job (which I assume is his career goal), it won't be here. Maybe he could be a starter-in-waiting for an older goalie but not for Cam.

Peters GAA and saves % are pretty good at the NHL level but IMO he's young and needs to play more frequently than he is here. If he is ever going to get a shot at an NHL starting job (which I assume is his career goal), it won't be here. Maybe he could be a starter-in-waiting for an older goalie but not for Cam.

I agree, just thinking he might have some trade value now that he has had a decent NHL run.

That'd be nice because Murphy is quickly progressing and imo I'd rather have a veteran backup. I've just seen this team with too many young backups who can't handle it.

Now for a couple of observations that are probably just my opinion and not founded in facts.

1. The officials were more consistent and allowed the players to determine the outcome of a game when there was one ref and two linesmen.

2. If your guy is getting pounded by other teams, step up, if that means taking the rare instigation penalty, so be it. After awhile the other teams will back off. If the they want to beat on our stars, beat on theirs, make them think twice about their actions.

3. Use the new CBA to fix the problems with the officals, not sure on the answers, but very willing to try something else. Maybe instead of blindly fining the coach for comments, an independent panel can determine if the coach or the ref should be fined.

Thanks for now.

Chip tweeted Sutter not at practice. Somehow, after that tumble in the Bolts game, I'm not surprised that he possibly could be a little sore. Stewart looks to be still on the top line. Dwyer ready to go, and back on third line.

With some of the comments that JR made after the trade deadline// it sounds like he is looking to either make some trades or just go out and sign some new guys over the summer. Will he not resign some guys that have been here or what? Is he thinking about packaging some young players and prospects or draft picks or would he consider trading away a big name player to get that goal scorer to help out Staal?

Practice update 3/5 - Michael Smith

• Practice today at 11 a.m. at Raleigh Center Ice before flying out to Washington. More RCI dates ahead at the end of the week.
  • Patrick Dwyer skating today. With Boychuk back in Charlotte, Dwyer should be good to go for tomorrow.
  • Lines: Stewart-Staal-Tlusty, Skinner-Jokinen-LaRose, Dwyer-Sutter-Nodl, Joslin-Brent-Samson
  • No Sutter or Bowman at practice today so far

Edit: Brandon Sutter working out off-ice today at RCI.

• Bowman out with a sickness today, allergy-related. Muller unsure if he will travel with the team.

I was interested in seeing what adding LaRose back into the line up would do. It definitely shuffled the deck a bit but I'm not sure what the overall effect was except for that penalty that gave Tampa a 5 on 3.

Dwyer comes back in for the next game but he'll replace Boychuk who quite frankly, I didn't notice whether he was on the ice or not so that should be an upgrade, especially on the PK. What will be very interesting is when Pitkanen is ready to come back into the line up. For sure Muller is going to put Pitkanen in a big role but I wonder where he fits in on defense and with who.

Hasn't it been three weeks with the Ruutu injury. Not practicing still?

He has not been practicing directly with the team, but has been skating with Rod as an injured player. If I heard correctly at the STH pregame skate on Saturday, he is still about a week away.

Edited by maniacaniac

A little under the radar was Sutters 100th NHL point last night. It came on the nice move and backhand goal. The assist on the Faulk goal wasn't bad either.

A little under the radar was Sutters 100th NHL point last night. It came on the nice move and backhand goal. The assist on the Faulk goal wasn't bad either.

Sutter is definitely part of our core of excellence. When he is flying at the goalie in a breakaway he is money. Should keep trying him on the shootout. Considering how good he is on defense, clearly a solid core piece.

Sutter... Wow. If Brett is anywhere near as good as Brandon, we have some pieces to build around. His hockey IQ is second to none. I wish we had another legitimate 3rd line center so we could move Brandon up. He skill set at putting the puck in the net is too valuable. But man is he a great defensive forward.

Sutter... Wow. If Brett is anywhere near as good as Brandon, we have some pieces to build around. His hockey IQ is second to none. I wish we had another legitimate 3rd line center so we could move Brandon up. He skill set at putting the puck in the net is too valuable. But man is he a great defensive forward.

Ironically I was just about to post something similar to this. Sutter has the skills to play 2nd line center. If only JR could find a solid 3rd line center this summer.

Our second line really needs a good centerman. We just really don't have anything working there. Skinner tries, but he just isn't ready yet. Jokinen is a wing, is a wing, is a wing. Rutuu has filled the void, but with him out, its left a gaping hole there. I wonder if Brent has the stuff, but with his limited role on the 4th line and PP hasn't given me enough to tell. If Brent can do it, and maybe we'll see what Muller does in the off-season, we could plug Brett Sutter from Charlotte into the 4th line next year.

Our second line really needs a good centerman. We just really don't have anything working there. Skinner tries, but he just isn't ready yet. Jokinen is a wing, is a wing, is a wing. Rutuu has filled the void, but with him out, its left a gaping hole there. I wonder if Brent has the stuff, but with his limited role on the 4th line and PP hasn't given me enough to tell. If Brent can do it, and maybe we'll see what Muller does in the off-season, we could plug Brett Sutter from Charlotte into the 4th line next year.

Been saying this for a few years now.. But I think JR is going to go after a winger for Staal before he does a second line center.

With the emergence of Tlusty, I don't really see a need to sacrifice depth down center to find a wing for Staal. Tlusty I think is filling that void on wing really well, and we have enough pieces to slot someone on the other side that will do. We need someone on the middle line to set up plays and create space for the other players. Skinner isn't mature enough yet to take on that role and he still has the mindset Staal had at the beginning of the season about taking it all on himself when entering the zone. It doesn't make sense to try and push through two defenders and lob a shot at the goalie, when you can pull up, wait, and make a play with your teammates. That's why there are 3 forwards on the ice. You don't have to kill yourself to make that happen. Staal's game has changed with Muller and look at what its done for his production. He gets it now. Skinner needs to learn as well. And until he does, he needs to put his time in at wing.

Does anyone else think that Sutter could potentially be that 2nd line center? A new 3rd line center could be easier to find.

That idea comes up every couple months here and while many think he'd probably do well on a scoring line, it can open up a hole at 3rd line center that would be tough to fill. Yes a 3rd line center is easier to find than a 2nd line center but having Sutter on that 3rd line basically turns a checking line into not only a shut down line but also makes it a scoring line. Moving Sutter could end up creating a worse void than we currently have on the 2nd line.

That said, I'd love to see what he could do in the top 6.