The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I feel like people underapreciate the "3rd line center" role. They go against the first line of the opposing team on a regular basis and if they guy isn't one of the guys capable of the Selke then your in trouble imo. Sutter could possibly score 20-30 on the second, could. But if we dont find the right 3rd line it mean absolutely nothing. We'll let up as many as we score.

Our second line really needs a good centerman. We just really don't have anything working there. Skinner tries, but he just isn't ready yet. Jokinen is a wing, is a wing, is a wing. Rutuu has filled the void, but with him out, its left a gaping hole there. I wonder if Brent has the stuff, but with his limited role on the 4th line and PP hasn't given me enough to tell. If Brent can do it, and maybe we'll see what Muller does in the off-season, we could plug Brett Sutter from Charlotte into the 4th line next year.

I agree with you, I'd love to see if Brent on the third and Sutter on the second would work. Sutter would add some defensive talent needed to the second as well as more scoring touch. Skinner would go to wing, so his work load would be smaller and he'd be able to focus more on doing what made him the rookie of the year.

I think Brent is under appreciated and capable. He is a good face off guy, so we'd get more opportunities to use that talent. He's a good defensive center for shutting down forwards. Once the hopes of making the playoffs are totally crushed, I hope Muller tries it out as an experiment.

With the emergence of Tlusty, I don't really see a need to sacrifice depth down center to find a wing for Staal.

Tlusty is doing alright on one side, but usually 2 wingers are needed. I don't see why filling one need would eliminate the ability to address the other one (other than PK's checkbook that has been hermetically sealed).

Tlusty is doing alright on one side, but usually 2 wingers are needed. I don't see why filling one need would eliminate the ability to address the other one (other than PK's checkbook that has been hermetically sealed).

Yes, I realize two wingers are needed. But as someone else mentioned in another thread, and its something I personally agree with, look around the leage at successful teams... What sets them apart is depth down center. Case in point... The Penguins. With Tlusty doing well on Staal's wing, we can slot someone else (Samson, Dalpe, Ruutu, etc.) on the other wing and that line is pretty much a lock. Put Sutter on the second line with Jokinen and Skinner, and that line is a lock. 3rd line center? Nope. We have wings all day in the system. But no one to take Sutter off that 3rd line so he can move up, and no one to center the 2nd line right now with him on the 3rd.

With Tlusty doing well on Staal's wing, we can slot someone else (Samson, Dalpe, Ruutu, etc.) on the other wing and that line is pretty much a lock. Put Sutter on the second line with Jokinen and Skinner, and that line is a lock.

While I agree that we could use a pure center for the second (or third) line, I shutter at the thought of Staal, Tlusty, and "someone else' as our first line. It is just great that our pressure free, scrapping, half-AHL team is finding our typical late season push to try to get 9th place, and I like Samson. But the idea that someone we already know or a low level acquisition will emerge as our FIRST line winger has been tried. It wasn't that long ago, it was this year.

As much as Muller's style has been an upgrade, Mo's half AHL teams made meaningless runs at the end of the year also.

What translates into success is two potent scoring lines, a third line that checks but can also pot a few, a solid defense, and a strong goalie.

Tlusty has shown a lot, and seems to play well with Staal, but to really get over the top we need that one more top winger to form a truly formidable top line. Then, even if Ruutu is our center, Skins and Finns in tact has proven very tough to deal with.

Sutter et all shut down your top line, then you put your shut down squad on Staal, Star, Tlusty, and Skins and Fins light you up. Or vice versa.

Very recently Tlusty has played well enough to be on the first line with a straight face. But he is not a star, and then to have the other top winger be a guy who can barely make the team?

Top line winger.

Anyone know how long Tlusty has been with Staal and what his production rate has been? I can't remember what game they started the Tlusty experiment. If someone can just tell me that date I can figure the points and whatnot

Anyone know how long Tlusty has been with Staal and what his production rate has been? I can't remember what game they started the Tlusty experiment. If someone can just tell me that date I can figure the points and whatnot

You can probably check the game day threads and find out.

You can probably check the game day threads and find out.

Good idea. I know he has 13 pts in his last 15 games. I imagine a lot of it has to do with Staal but at the same time no one else has been able to produce that much on Staal's wing this season besides Ruutu and previously Cole.

He first played with Staal on 12\29\2011. Dalpe was on the other wing. Since then, he's got 8 goals and 12 assists for 20 points.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Looking at Tlusty vs. Boychuk and Harrison vs. Carson (he was supposed to be as good or better than Harrison), it sure suggests that working one's tail off to make the big club, then paying the dues and being a hard working good soldier is the way to go for guys not blessed with over the top Skinner like skills as opposed to the idea of getting more time on the top line in the AHL.

Don't get me wrong, it clearly is beneficial to get the AHL time for a while, but there comes a point that a borderline guy is better off on the big team in any capacity rather than toiling in obscurity down on the farm. How many guys have bounced up and down over the years? When's the last time a guy toiled in our AHL system for a few years before arriving in the NHL and producing?

I know that there is selection bias at work. Tlusty got a one way because the coaches felt he looked better than the other prospects, but even with that factored in, it just seems that many guys need some serious NHL time to get their game.

LaRose is another example. When he was a 4th line guy, scrapping and fighting to stay on the team, there were other guys knocking on the door. But he hung around kept at it and eventually got his offensive mo jo going and say what you might, he is now 3 games shy of 500 total NHL games including playoffs.

To some extent Sutter also kind of followed this. At some point you gotta get a spot on the big club in whatever capacity and stick long enough to develop and show your stuff. Hear that Dalpe? Boychuk......oh never mind, too late for you.

Of course this theory is base entirely on the Hurricanes, I'm sure there are examples of guys breaking out after years in the AHL. Still, probably not that many.

Edited by remkin

Tlusty's development, unlike Mr. Boychuk's, has always been hampered by his injuries. I think the Canes have done a good job being patient with him, and it's good to seem him produce now that he is healthy.

Tlusty's development, unlike Mr. Boychuk's, has always been hampered by his injuries. I think the Canes have done a good job being patient with him, and it's good to seem him produce now that he is healthy.

True. Tlusty is a year older, but I'm done with Boychuk and mostly just posting to get to 3000.

I just realized, at 8-14-9, the Canes have the worst road record in the league. If that trend continues, and us having 10 of the last 15 on the road, including 3 back-to-backs, our draft order could be in the top-5.

True. Tlusty is a year older, but I'm done with Boychuk and mostly just posting to get to 3000.

You do know a top line winger for Staal isn't the prize for hitting 3000, right? :lol:

x

I just realized, at 8-14-9, the Canes have the worst road record in the league. If that trend continues, and us having 10 of the last 15 on the road, including 3 back-to-backs, our draft order could be in the top-5.

OR Canes could play like in febuary, and keep us hoping. i prefer glass-full, as far fetched as it may seem.. we dont need no stinking top fiver, we got the young kids coming along, yea, thats the ticket. :crossfingers:

:applaud::banana::yippee::ohyeah:

That's a post.

Breaking news.. Whem rem hits the 3k post mark, Matt Cullen will be traded to the canes for a conditional draft pick after season, mattie said no comment, till wilds season is over.

OR Canes could play like in febuary, and keep us hoping. i prefer glass-full, as far fetched as it may seem.. we dont need no stinking top fiver, we got the young kids coming along, yea, thats the ticket. :crossfingers:

Breaking news.. Whem rem hits the 3k post mark, Matt Cullen will be traded to the canes for a conditional draft pick after season, mattie said no comment, till wilds season is over.

Huh? Matt Cullen? Never heard of him.

(4 to go).

Dang when did Coastal blow through 4000 posts?

(should have made that a separate one).

Well with all this talk about hitting 3000, my 3000th post ends up being about hitting....2.

Not sure what happened there, but I sure don't want to start over. crybaby.gif

TSA? Perhaps a joke? jestera.gif

Trying to tell me something?letssee.gif

Maybe I need a new hobby.