The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I'm so disappointed I wasn't here when you posted what you thought was #3000 :lol:

You're a good sport, I guess we can set it back now :)

I'm so disappointed I wasn't here when you posted what you thought was #3000 :lol:

You're a good sport, I guess we can set it back now :)

A_laughing_matter.gif

2yippee.gif

Justin Soryal‏@JustinSoryal47 - so fired up to hear @Sangs2224 (Sanguinette) is getting called up.. he deserves it, what a season him and his gator arm are having

Justin Soryal‏@JustinSoryal47 - so fired up to hear @Sangs2224 (Sanguinette) is getting called up.. he deserves it, what a season him and his gator arm are having

Guess we'll find out when they make the official announcement if he's replacing Spacek. I hope Spacek isn't too hurt but injecting some fresh energy from someone really wanting to make an impact isn't a bad idea against the Rangers.

Guess we'll find out when they make the official announcement if he's replacing Spacek. I hope Spacek isn't too hurt but injecting some fresh energy from someone really wanting to make an impact isn't a bad idea against the Rangers.

And he was drafted by New York. Actually a late first rounder in the draft Tlusty was picked in.

Definitely deserves a shot.

Its also not like we've had tons of opportunity to bring up some defenseman this season either. They're gong to have to evaluate the dmen in Charlotte at some point in order to make some decisions this off season. If JR is serious about getting a top FA, he's going to need some valuable trade bait.

Agree about him deserving his chance, he's had a great season in Charlotte.

Speaking of call ups. What ever happened to this year's Cole replacement, Dalpe? Is he injured, in the dog house, just not doing well...

Its now official Sanquinetti called up from the Chex. Great heads up jeromeo.

Nice to see Sangs getting a shot. 1st call up as a Cane!

I applaud JR & Muller for skipping Joslin(who we already know what we have) to bring up a guy who has played really well at the AHL level, & is a RFA...time to find out what we've got in Sangs.

Do the Canes want to qualify him, & if so what kind of contract do you offer him?

Does he fit Muller's system?

Nice to see Sangs getting a shot. 1st call up as a Cane!

I applaud JR & Muller for skipping Joslin(who we already know what we have) to bring up a guy who has played really well at the AHL level, & is a RFA...time to find out what we've got in Sangs.

Do the Canes want to qualify him, & if so what kind of contract do you offer him?

Does he fit Muller's system?

I think you are asking, rhetorically, i.e. this is what JR and Muller want to find out. Not sure many of us can answer that either yet. :)

I am encouraged that JR is doing this. With PK making JR watch every nickel, this is nice news. It will cost a couple 10's of thousands to do this, depending on how long his run up here is. (Nice bonus for Bobby.) Chump change, yes. But the budget has been run tighter than Jessica Simpson's corset.

<sw bug bump>

Edited by wxray1

I think you are asking, rhetorically, i.e. this is what JR and Muller want to find out. Not sure many of us can answer that either yet. :)

Yes! Inquiring minds want need to know. Sangs is only 24YO...which is about the time that most D-men finally start to go from NHL prospect to NHL player...(see Harrison).

Edited by rocheccw

im interested. in how much time before Dumelin[spelling]From BC, gets to arrive on the scene, hes a big kid.Beat those strangers!

im interested. in how much time before Dumelin[spelling]From BC, gets to arrive on the scene, hes a big kid.Beat those strangers!

Canes tried very hard to get Dumoulin to sign after his Sophomore season. I'm sure they will try again. Hopefully, he signs after BC wins the Frozen Four.

If he signs a contract after the season then he could join the Checkers for their playoffs via a tryout contract that won't count against his entry level contract with the Canes.

Not much left for him to do at the college level. IMO he would compete with Murphy(D) for a roster spot next season...with Dumoulin more than likely ending up in Charlotte because Murphy would have to be sent back to Juniors if he didn't make the Canes roster.

Speaking of Murphy(D) kid is on a tear in juniors...now has 50 points in 48 games and is a +11.

Edited by rocheccw

I think the call up of Sanguinetti is just a reward for a very good season, and deserved. He'll play against NYR and likely go right back to Charlotte. Similar to Samson getting called up vs Montreal.

I hope he shocks the world tonight and there is no way he gets sent back. Good Luck Bobby from New Jersey!

I think Sanguinetti's second game was much better... and Larose has been scoring a lot lately. Getting hard to argue about him playing in the top 6 when he has four goals in the last six games.

Sanguinette has played well, but I honestly don't see him in organization's future plans. With guys like Murphy and Dumoulin, it's going to be really tough for him..

BTW, Brian Dumoulin was named a 2012 Hobey Baker finalist, which is best college player. He has also been named the Hockey East "Best Defensive Defenseman" for the second year in a row. For a guy being scouted as a dman with offensive flare, that's pretty good.

Sanguinette has played well, but I honestly don't see him in organization's future plans. With guys like Murphy and Dumoulin, it's going to be really tough for him..

BTW, Brian Dumoulin was named a 2012 Hobey Baker finalist, which is best college player. He has also been named the Hockey East "Best Defensive Defenseman" for the second year in a row. For a guy being scouted as a dman with offensive flare, that's pretty good.

Thought Sangs looked very confident and comfortable last night vs the "nerves" against NYR. He seemed to make good decisions and played PP & 4 on 4 situations too. You maybe right about his Canes longevity but I think he has NHL ability for us or another team. Murph is great in Juniors and Dumo is great in college but I want to see them play at a consistently high level at NHL speed before allocating a roster spot for either. Heck Dumo may not even sign because he wants to get his degree to fall back on after his hockey career ends when he's 35 or younger. I hope all 3 of these guys become stars for us at some point.

Canes Reassign Samson, Sanguinetti to Charlotte

Both players eligible to play for Checkers tonight against Norfolk

Friday, 03.16.2012 / 2:04 PM / NewsBy Terrell Williams

8473610.jpgSanguinetti 8474220.jpgSamson

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned forwardJerome Samson (SAM-sohn) and defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti (san-GWIN-neh-tee) to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

This concludes the third NHL recall this season for the 24-year-old Samson. The Greenfield Park, Que., native notched his first NHL goal earlier this season on Jan. 10 against Philadelphia, and now has nine points (2g, 7a) in 46 career NHL games with Carolina. Samson (6’0”, 195 lbs.) leads the Checkers with 18 goals, and ranks fifth among team skaters with 31 points while playing in 41 of the team’s 60 games this season. He has earned 256 points (124g, 132a) in 303 career AHL games with Albany and Charlotte, and was named to the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic but was unable to participate due to being on NHL recall with the Hurricanes.

This concludes the first NHL recall of the season for the 24-year-old Sanguinetti. The Trenton, NJ, native skated in two games for Carolina without registering a point, and has now played seven career NHL games with the New York Rangers and the Hurricanes. Sanguinetti (6’3”, 190 lbs.) leads all Charlotte defensemen, ranks second among Checkers skaters and is tied for seventh among all AHL blueliners this season with 35 points, while playing in 49 of Charlotte’s 60 games. Originally drafted by the New York Rangers in the first round, 21st overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Sanguinetti was acquired by Carolina via trade with the Rangers on June 26, 2010.

Looks like we can finally end the trade deadline contest....finally!!

Watching these guys try to stick with the club just reminds me how hard it is to make an NHL roster full time and stick with it. Best in the world.

Canes tried very hard to get Dumoulin to sign after his Sophomore season. I'm sure they will try again. Hopefully, he signs after BC wins the Frozen Four.

If he signs a contract after the season then he could join the Checkers for their playoffs via a tryout contract that won't count against his entry level contract with the Canes.

Not much left for him to do at the college level. IMO he would compete with Murphy(D) for a roster spot next season...with Dumoulin more than likely ending up in Charlotte because Murphy would have to be sent back to Juniors if he didn't make the Canes roster.

Speaking of Murphy(D) kid is on a tear in juniors...now has 50 points in 48 games and is a +11.

thanks for the info!

Practice update 3/19

• Joni Pitkanen first onto the ice for the Canes
  • Andreas Nodl is not skating today.
  • Jussi Jokinen not at practice, likely just rest. Everyone else present.
  • Pitkanen working to get the puck away from Skinner. Will be good physical test for his knee.
  • Asked Pitkanen how close he is. A week? "Maybe sooner," he said with a smile.
  • Muller confirms the "maybe sooner" with Pitkanen. A chance we could see him on Wednesday against the Panthers
  • Nodl may be out a week Muller says. Not sure yet if concussed. Awaiting doctor's report.

Practice update 3/19

• Jussi Jokinen not at practice, likely just rest. Everyone else present.

Jussi took a pretty hard hit too. Not saying there is anything wrong with his head or shoulders, but he may be pretty sore.

It is easy to forget that one because of the Nodl hit.

Glad Skinner didn't play in that game -- and the Canes still won.

I loved seeing Jokinen playing with Staal. He looked so much better on Staal's wing than he does as a center, which should be more motivation for getting a 2nd line center.

Also, I've really impressed with LaRose. I reallly hope he finally hits 20 goals. The guy competes harder than anyone else on the ice.

Guys, we're only 5 points out. This is actually a possbility.. I'm cautiously excited.

I'm really excited about this team right now, even with a pretty "untalented" (i mean, they're all NHL players so obviously they're good at hockey) roster on paper they're are fun to watch and they are in every game until the buzzer.

That aside, for some reason I'm super excited about Joni coming back. I'm not even a huge Joni fan, but I just feel like he's going to be better under Muller and I think his ability to set up goals has been missed all season. I feel like our scoring will get a nice boost when hes back out there and especially next season when hes had some time to workout and really get a feel for what Muller and Lewis want him to do. Anyone else excited about this?