The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I loved seeing Jokinen playing with Staal. He looked so much better on Staal's wing than he does as a center, which should be more motivation for getting a 2nd line center.

Also, I've really impressed with LaRose. I reallly hope he finally hits 20 goals. The guy competes harder than anyone else on the ice.

Guys, we're only 5 points out. This is actually a possbility.. I'm cautiously excited.

I have to admit, LaRose has re-won me back. "That kid's got spunk!"

As for playoff hopes. To help keep dreams alive, hope for the following tonight:

Tampa Bay vs. Buffalo : Go Bolts! Get it done in 60 minutes, please!

Washington vs. Detroit: Go Red Wings!

Toronto vs. Boston : Maul those Leafs, Bruins! It's OK to come off

your skates on hits. Shanny says so.

Edited by wxray1

Ugh.. Buffalo won and Washington won.. At least Toronto lost.

Yep, just like that, those 5 pts are now 7. And with too many of our points coming from OT losses, the Canes will likely lose the tiebreaker with Washington, so it's really 8 pts behind.

8 pts is a lot when you have so few games left. Simply put, the Canes have to go on a run, and Washington and Buffalo need to tank.

Good article from Kurt Dusterberg at the Hurricanes Beat about Enforcers, Coach Muller and Sutter's future potential. He gives a little insight about the organization's plans for Sutter but suggests the same thing many here have been hoping to see:

Canes Need to Look for an Enforcer - (here's a few highlights)

On team toughness:

So until the rules change to favor those players who actually excel at hockey, the Hurricanes need to address how they are going to survive in this era. The current term used by teams without an enforcer is “team toughness.” The implication is that a handful of the tougher guys will stand up for the skill players. That notion is better in theory than in practice. The Hurricanes don’t have a big team. Their “team toughness guys” are key defensemen: Bryan Allen, Jay Harrison and Tim Gleason. But what they really need in the current NHL environment is a player with a nasty demeanor – a player that opponents know might come unhinged if you take a run at one of his teammates.

On Coach Muller:

Thoughts on Muller from Ken Hitchcock - "Most good players don’t have the patience to become good coaches because they get frustrated with people’s inability to pick things up. Bob said he was really patient with the younger guys and he was able to develop them really quickly. "It’s understanding that the things you need to work on take time. Change doesn’t happen over night."

On Brandon Sutter:

Here’s a simple solution. Let Sutter finish the season centering a line with Jokinen and Skinner. Rotate Ruutu in as well. Find out how Sutter’s skills – speed, good hands, a bit of a scoring touch – mesh with those guys. If he excels in the role, it might give Carolina a better sense of how to improve the team in the offseason. And since Sutter’s move would have a ripple effect, take advantage of that opportunity too. Maybe Tim Brent – who has been terrific as the fourth-line center – is ready to handle the checking line duties.

Full article here

A very good read and ideas that make a lot of sense. Many of us have been saying the same things in various ways since December but seeing it written in this way reenforces our thoughts. I really like our third line but Sutter deserves the chance. We have seen his ability to score so why not see if he can solve our second line center problem.

Speaking of Sutters with Nodl out why not bring Sutter- 2 up and give him a hard look before the season ends.

I think they should too. He brings some toughness into the line up and it would allow Brent and Sutter1 to be moved up but I wonder if they want to keep the Checkers in tact since they're right in thick of it. I don't follow the Checkers very closely and have no idea what kind of a role Sutter2 fills for them but I read how ecstatic they are to have Sanguinetti back for the final push.

I'm fine with giving Sutter a chance as the 2nd line center; however, I do believe he belongs on the third line. That's where he is best; that's where he makes a name for himself. Besides, Sutter has never really been an offensive threat, even in his junior years. Here are his numbers, if yall are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sutter

Not THAT impressive..

He's too good on the third line to move him around.. I dunno.. we'll see.

Edited by jeromeo87

Another player that was "not THAT impressive" in juniors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Neal_(ice_hockey)

The Malkin excuse is no good either, the guy was on pace to be a legit 30+ goal scorer with Dallas too.

I'm not sure why anybody cares what he did in the WHL anyway. I assume we have all seen him play and that is why so many of us want him to have a chance to be on a scoring line. He has great skating speed, a ridiculously fast (and accurate) release on his wrist shot, and a nice backhand move on the breakaway. If you don't see the 30 goal scoring potential...well.. I don't know what to say.

Edited by Justin8649

On team toughness:

So until the rules change to favor those players who actually excel at hockey, the Hurricanes need to address how they are going to survive in this era. The current term used by teams without an enforcer is “team toughness.” The implication is that a handful of the tougher guys will stand up for the skill players. That notion is better in theory than in practice. The Hurricanes don’t have a big team. Their “team toughness guys” are key defensemen: Bryan Allen, Jay Harrison and Tim Gleason. But what they really need in the current NHL environment is a player with a nasty demeanor – a player that opponents know might come unhinged if you take a run at one of his teammates.

On Brandon Sutter:

Here’s a simple solution. Let Sutter finish the season centering a line with Jokinen and Skinner. Rotate Ruutu in as well. Find out how Sutter’s skills – speed, good hands, a bit of a scoring touch – mesh with those guys. If he excels in the role, it might give Carolina a better sense of how to improve the team in the offseason. And since Sutter’s move would have a ripple effect, take advantage of that opportunity too. Maybe Tim Brent – who has been terrific as the fourth-line center – is ready to handle the checking line duties.

I agree that is an interesting read.

On the enforcer. First, we've been talking about this for years. We tried Brookbank, etc. Players claimed they felt better knowing he was there, but really? The typical drop the gloves and circle thing is bogus. With very few exceptions someone like an Avery takes a cheap run at one of our guys. Then, our "enforcer" has a fight with their enforcer, and the Averys of the world skate away. Plus a 4th line enforcer is never on the ice when the initial insult takes place.

Then there's the instigator rule making the cheap-shot artists even more smug.

So, kind of more in line with his last line there, it would only seem to work if the cheap shot artist knew that we had a lunatic held back with chains, that we would loose on them personally that night next time we get the chance. He would not just request a fight, he would take an equally cheap nasty shot at that person on the ice. Hits like the one on Nodl will only be cleaned up by massive punishment to the hitter, either fear of a return cheap shot or better a long suspension and big fine. The NHL claims to be worried about concussions, but not at the expense of big hits.

So what I'm saying is that if we are going to go that way we need to goon up and get a beast that would honestly scare the other guy's tough guys. And we have to commit to taking the penalties, fines also. I'm fine with that in a way. The 4th line barely gets any ice time anyway, and the coach can double shift the other 4th line guys a couple of times if the goon is terrible.

I will say this. If Brookbank, who was game and big, but never delivered a hard borderline or cheap hit, and lost over half of his fights is our best recent attempt, it might be worth a try, but we have to get a REAL enforcer.

On Sutter. He is sooo good on the third line and PK that he might be his own worst enemy. But I completely agree with using the next 8 games to try a few different things out and that would be one.

Once again, anyone know where Dalpe is? That was supposed to be our second or first liner. One would think he'd at least get another look. Then again, the way Boychuks' last look went, maybe he's better staying down.

Edited by remkin

A very good read and ideas that make a lot of sense. Many of us have been saying the same things in various ways since December but seeing it written in this way reenforces our thoughts. I really like our third line but Sutter deserves the chance. We have seen his ability to score so why not see if he can solve our second line center problem.

Speaking of Sutters with Nodl out why not bring Sutter- 2 up and give him a hard look before the season ends.

obxer, im with ya on this on sutter! I LOVE BRANDoN.. YEA, its a man-crush.. my wife knows. lol. hockey wise ..

Just to add to the enforcer thing, in the Skinner suspension thread people talked about Conboy and Walker. Those are two more examples of team toughness guys. Conboy and Walker were both tough dudes, who would kick my butt, but they were not big intimidating guys.

If we are going to goon up, then we need to go big. John Scott, Steve MacIntire huge, or pretty dang big and tougher than nails Colton Orr, Trevor Gilies types. Full on enforcers. Not marginally talented bigger guys. A full on, fear of God, if-you-look--at-my-star-wrong-I -will-kill-you-and-you-know-I'm-crazy-enough-to-actually-kill-you, enforcer type.

Edited by remkin

A full on, fear of God, if-you-look--at-my-star-wrong-I -will-kill-you-and-you-know-I'm-crazy-enough-to-actually-kill-you, enforcer type.

Then I think Trevor Gilles is your man :lol:

A full on, fear of God, if-you-look--at-my-star-wrong-I -will-kill-you-and-you-know-I'm-crazy-enough-to-actually-kill-you, enforcer type.

I might say Walker was kinda like this. Ever seen the face Gleason makes when he's mad? Enough to make a grizzly bear mom play dead and hope for the best.

It would be nice to find someone similar to Thornton from Boston. A guy that can actually play. We don't need any 4 minute a night goon taking a roster spot.

Tonight Luke DeCock retweeted a comment stating that Kirk Muller only needed 2 more weeks and the Canes would be much feared playoff team. Think JR regrets giving his old pal Coach Mo a few extra games to get things straight?

I am not saying that a coaching change wasn't needed, but the last several years the Canes got of to bad starts only to have great second halves,just missing the playoffs. I am more inclined to judge Muller after seeing how the Canes start next season.

Yes this team has had late season runs nearly every year. That doesn't make us a feared playoff team. That is a bit of a stretch.

We are playing very well with what we have, no question. But, we see a parade of back up goalies and the elite teams take us lightly. This does not happen in the playoffs when all that talent the elite teams have come to play at another level.

This team is headed in the right direction in a lot of ways, but we still need a couple of upgrades. The last thing i want to see as someone already committed to the entire next season, is JR to think, "well we've had a nice run, no need to mess with things, this is now a serious playoff team."

Fortunately, I really think JR knows better than Luke on this one.

I will say that we have had a sneaky way of running deep into the playoffs, even with marginal teams, so there is that, but on paper, not a feared playoff team yet. Now add Parise and Suter? OH ya, then we would be.

Edited by remkin

I think the original person that made that comment was stating that teams would not want to draw the Canes in the first round being as they are hot right now. Earlier this season they were an easy win.

Wonder if there is any chance this can be played during every game left this season

Especially tomorrow night against the JETS...

Great way to let everyone know where they are LOL and let the boys and Capt.Kirk know we are with them no matter what

:groupwave:

GO CANES

Edited by Pkling40

When the Southeast Division thread was resurrected, I noticed at the top was a brief OT discussion from last year about past questionable drafting, referencing Paradis, where reminded that we got Tlusty in the deal:

And I wouldn't say our drafting has been that suspect. The only real first round dud in the last 10 years has been Knyazev. If you convert Johnson for Gleason, Ladd for Ruutu, and Paradis for Tlusty, of those 9 picks 7 are on the current roster with 5 looking like a long-term core, and Boychuk is next in line in Charlotte. Time heals all wounds.

Well, he's still here, and while he needs another full year to really prove out, looks like we got a good deal in that trade. (Boychuk on the other hand is probably trade bait at best. But with Skinner and an extra year JR is still 7 of 9 with Murphy in the wings, and Ruutu and Gleason locked up in the core. Not bad.)

Another JR special. Nice to see.

Edited by JLP

I've been wondering when he'd finally get his due. For all of us who have been taking note of Jiri Tlusty's quiet emergence as a top line player this season, sounds like the Canes think he's officially matured into a top line player:

TTS: Tlusty Solidifies Role as Top-Six Forward

Yep. It's coming together for him. He's not looked back since he has gotten healthy, and particularly when he was put with Staal. Staal hasn't done too bad himself with Tlusty there either. We need top-6 depth, this is a bright spot.

Edited by coastal_caniac