The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

I agree. JR's lining up the pieces to make a trade. The competition in the back makes a package deal more likely than a few weeks ago. Maurice's comment that there wasn't as much competition up front as they'd hoped and the competition in the back was better than they'd hoped for was very telling.

Well, I certainly think that the lack of competition from Boychuk, Bowman and Samson in particular was a surprise to them. It means that the forwards that are on the roster right now are really the best we have. I find the chemistry comment the most dis-heartening. It really means that we need to be ready for some ugly games early. Of course it doesn't help that the lines weren't set and that Mo keeps fiddling with it. Not sure how you can develop chemistry if you don't play the same lines two games in a row and switch them up shift to shift.

I really think they should have split the squad in the pre-season. Jokinen, Staal and Poni should have played at least 5 games together as the top line to see how they gel. Now we get to see the growing pains in regular season games.

While the competition on the blue line has been formidable, I can't help but wince. Our defense is built for offense, which just means Ward/Boucher are going to be seeing more shots than any other goalie tandem in the NHL. I predict Murphy cracks the top-6 at least for the first 10 games, unless he completely sucks. I mean, if he goes -5 in the first couple of games, he'll be shipped back to Kitchener sooner rather than later.

I'll be stunned if he's still on the roster at the end of October.

Right now I'd say that JR would love to move Allen but no other team wants that contract. Joslin's illness really set him back, so I expect he'll be in the press box while Murphy is up. I'd say McBain is possible trade bait right now. I wouldn't have thought I'd say that, but with Faulk/Murphy also on the roster and Faulk apparently outplaying McBain, it's possible his days are numbered. If we could get a decent young forward back for him, I think JR would pull the trigger.

I still fail to see why so many fans think Allen or Harrison is the scapegoat or odd man out. Neither is going anywhere right now. You can't put 5 or 6 little guys out there and have them get clobbered night after night. Both Harrison and Allen are important cornerstones of this defense. You DO NOT put 5 puck moving d-men out there and not have a solid defender beside them. Ideally, you match up one of Allen, Harrison and Gleason with one of Kaberle, Faulk, Pitkanen, etc.

I still fail to see why so many fans think Allen or Harrison is the scapegoat or odd man out. Neither is going anywhere right now. You can't put 5 or 6 little guys out there and have them get clobbered night after night. Both Harrison and Allen are important cornerstones of this defense. You DO NOT put 5 puck moving d-men out there and not have a solid defender beside them. Ideally, you match up one of Allen, Harrison and Gleason with one of Kaberle, Faulk, Pitkanen, etc.

Agree 100%. The odd man out will be an offensive d-man. Pitkanen just took a discount so you can cross him off the list. JR traded Corvo in order to sign TKabs so you can cross him off the list as well. That leaves McBain to step his game up or risk being shipped out. He seems to be a popular room type guy so if he is traded it could prove to be a wake up call for other players.

I won't be at all surprised to see Joslin sent to Charlotte for a while. If Faulk is a sgood as the coaching staff says, he's way better than Joslin, who had mono and will likely be on IR for a while...and then back in Charlotte. The logjam isn't as massive as it first appears. I fully expect Murphy to get 9 games and then go back to the OHL. Having 7 d-men isn't a problem. People get hung up on the "9 d-men on the opening roster" headline. It's not a story.

Defensive Dmen:

Gleason

Allen

Harrison

Offensive Dmen:

Kaberle

Pitkanen

Faulk

Joslin

Murhpy

McBain

Some could argue that a couple of the offensive guys can play some d. But clearly we are tilted one way.

The reason Allen keeps popping up is that we need to send salary the other way, and Pits and Kaberle are both special circumstances and not sure to what degree JR would be sticking it to them if he trades them. Could move Gleason, but such a heart and soul guy and also a defensive defensman.

What is interesting is this. If JR wants to make a splash and pick up a real first line winger, it may indeed come down to McBain. The thing is I just know JR likes McBain and sees his potential. McBain could easily become one of those guys you really don't want having traded him away on your resume. But he might be the only one that could tempt another GM out of a top forward.

The thing is, how do we move salary along with him? A bit of a conundrum unless PK is ready to spend, which I doubt.

I still think that "special" circumstances aside, moving Joni or Kaberle could do it in one move. Kaberle plus Boychuk plus Joslin?

I don't know. But 9 dmen with no top line does suggest the move.

Edited by remkin

I completely agree. Despite Allen and Harrison's flaws, of which there are some, they are necessary to maintain a balanced defense. The only way that one should be moved is if we are getting a suitable replacement.

Not to mention the fact we can't afford to lose anything in the "toughness" department. All cliches aside, grit is a tangible asset.

I agree as well. I love Harrison (after riding him hard his first season), he's cheap and wants to be here and plays like he wants to be on this team, and I think Allen is pretty solid too. Our two defensive goals were scored by them, of all people. Not Pits, not Kabs, but Harrison and Allen. And they kept the crease pretty clear in the Charlotte game I attended. They have their lapses, but neither one seemed as bad as Kabs. I'd rather keep them and ship off Kabs or Pits or McBain.

Despite Pitkanen's flaws this team would not have a transitional game without him. Once the team finds some chemistry and gets into a groove I expect him to have his best season as a Hurricane.

I don't think this team becomes a serious contender until we have 2 legitimate top-notch scorers, like every other serious year-in-year-out contender. We can't keep trying to sign people who have played decently in the past hoping to spark their flame again. It is time to spend some money to make some money. Otherwise it continues to be a crap shoot. It has worked in the past, I def give credit where it is due, but to remain a serious contender year in and year out, you have to spend money to get the guys who will enable you to contend. It seems like each year we have a "it might work, he did score 20 goals once, and it has worked for us in the past" attitude towards our team.

If PK would spend some money to get a serious scoring forward to play and push Staal, I'm guessing your fanbase and your corporate sponsorship would jump on the proverbial bandwagon and reward you for really going for it.

In business, ya just gotta spend money to make money. And I think it holds true in this business as well.

Go get a stud, JR. Now is the time. All aboard!!

Many will agree with you, but we're not running things. Yes, you'll likely see many puck moving rear liners (I can't even call them defensemen). That seems to be a fact and preference, despite conventional thought.

Joni isn't going anywhere for those who think it could happen.

Random thought as I watch PHI-BOS tonight. Seeing Joe Corvo reminded me a bit of this summer, and Joe and Erik's readiness to move on.

Then compare the comments about chemistry on this team.

Is there a problem we don't know about? Or are all the changes just a lot to take for the team to develop chemistry?

Random thought as I watch PHI-BOS tonight. Seeing Joe Corvo reminded me a bit of this summer, and Joe and Erik's readiness to move on.

Then compare the comments about chemistry on this team.

Is there a problem we don't know about? Or are all the changes just a lot to take for the team to develop chemistry?

IMO chemistry goes hand in hand with a team identity and the 2011 Canes struggled all season to find one. Again, just my opinion based on following several pro sports, a team's identity and ultimately the chemistry starts with team leadership and it evolves from there.

For whatever reason, last year's Canes never found it so hopefully this year's group will find it before its too late. Since their are so many new players and several are pretty young, it just might take some time for this group to come together. Keeping the lines consistent is one way to help create chemistry but the culture which promotes team chemistry/identity needs to be created in the locker room.

That was one of the biggest reasons Lavi had success here imo, he worked very hard starting in the preseason to create the locker room culture and find ways to bond the team together. Their identity came from their style of play and chemistry developed with successes on the ice.

Not sure that answered your question :lol;

I can't help myself. I keep going to the depth chart and looking at these lines. What am I missing. The only line I really like is the Sutter line. I think the plan is to use Sutter on the second PP unit so this line could be used that way.

I'm sure willing to give it a chance (what choice do i have) and I sure am excited about the beginning of the season. I hope it works.. I just can't figure it out.

Well, there is the possibly that other teams are still struggling like the Canes to put their roster together too. Lets hope ;)

Well, there is the possibly that other teams are still struggling like the Canes to put their roster together too. Lets hope ;)

I'm sure that is true. I'm not saying this won't work. All I'm saying is I don't get it. I'm more then willing to give it a chance and it will add another dimension for me while watching the game. If you had told me a few days ago I had 10 chances to guess the opening night line-up. I don't think I would have got it.

I don't think I would have ever had Dalpe on 4th or Tlusty on second. But who knows it could work.

I'm sure that is true. I'm not saying this won't work. All I'm saying is I don't get it. I'm more then willing to give it a chance and it will add another dimension for me while watching the game. If you had told me a few days ago I had 10 chances to guess the opening night line-up. I don't think I would have got it.

I don't think I would have ever had Dalpe on 4th or Tlusty on second. But who knows it could work.

IMO chemistry goes hand in hand with a team identity and the 2011 Canes struggled all season to find one. Again, just my opinion based on following several pro sports, a team's identity and ultimately the chemistry starts with team leadership and it evolves from there.

For whatever reason, last year's Canes never found it so hopefully this year's group will find it before its too late. Since their are so many new players and several are pretty young, it just might take some time for this group to come together. Keeping the lines consistent is one way to help create chemistry but the culture which promotes team chemistry/identity needs to be created in the locker room.

That was one of the biggest reasons Lavi had success here imo, he worked very hard starting in the preseason to create the locker room culture and find ways to bond the team together. Their identity came from their style of play and chemistry developed with successes on the ice.

Not sure that answered your question :lol;

Not sure if anyone can answer our question since we don't go behind those doors.

The wife and I were talking about how Lavi did the "ropes course" thing in the Cup year. That exact exercise gets old, but you have to wonder if they have *anything* to grasp on to build the team. How about a picnic or something? :)

We had an acquaintance who was 2 degrees removed from a player a few years ago (so this is just hearsay), but he complained that the room had some disparity between the young single guys and the married guys. Makes sense that year since Eric and Leighton and a bunch of guys were busy having babies or planning marriages. A newly traded single guy would be out of place in that club. This year, I really hope some of our leadership guys are spending quality time with the boys. Erik Cole's mentoring of Skinner last year really seemed to help.

Edited by wxray1

Here's something that promotes team chemistry that for some reason isn't done here anymore: :shifty:

Bruins go on Team Building Retreat before the Charge

I'm trying to keep the faith, I only saw the 1st pre-season game and who knows how the guys have looked in practice but the 2nd line looks like a giant bag of suck for us. Poni on the 3rd line and Stewart/Dalpe on the 4th...so LaRose and/or Tlusty is the guy to replace Cole's numbers????? Yeeesh.

I'm trying to keep the faith, I only saw the 1st pre-season game and who knows how the guys have looked in practice but the 2nd line looks like a giant bag of suck for us. Poni on the 3rd line and Stewart/Dalpe on the 4th...so LaRose and/or Tlusty is the guy to replace Cole's numbers????? Yeeesh.

It looks strange to me too. I'm wondering if Sutter's line won't be used more as the 2nd line. Its possible the lines will be competing for ice time tonight.

It looks strange to me too. I'm wondering if Sutter's line won't be used more as the 2nd line. Its possible the lines will be competing for ice time tonight.

Chip's reporting that Mo is not revealing the lines in the AM skate...maybe we are going to see something different. I've never been big on Tlusty, but supposedly he put in a lot of off season work and has really impressed...we'll see.

From Michael Smith:

Looks like the skate will be gradually wrapping up. Nothing new to report on lines - no line rushes today.

Chip's reporting that Mo is not revealing the lines in the AM skate...maybe we are going to see something different. I've never been big on Tlusty, but supposedly he put in a lot of off season work and has really impressed...we'll see.

I find this interesting. Like trying to figure out the meaning of life. Trying to figure out the lines is almost impossible. It gives us something to look forward to tonight. A little mystery keeps the mind sharp.

The problem is the players are part of the mystery. Lines are likely to change multiple times during the game. Same as last year. Don't like to feel this negative with things just getting started...honestly surprised about it. But come on...this is so typical of Mo...Dalpe is headed to the 1st/2nd line all camp, and then the opening game and he's back in the rookie slot on the 4th. Tlusty and LaRose on the 2nd line? Poni and Stewart, our big summer pickups, on the 3rd and 4th, behind LaRose?

Sigh...just going to sit back and try to enjoy it. Maybe they'll surprise us and rise above their coaches. Mo and chemistry...he couldn't start a fire if you handed him a can of gas and a box of matches...

Hey guys. I've been absent most offseason, but I've been reading posts every now and then.

Um, certainly the lines that are posted are not the actual lines. Aren't those lines just made up by the web producer guy?

IF they are the actual lines (which, honestly, they can't be...) Mo has lost his mind.