The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2011-12 Team News, Practice Updates & In-between Game Talk

Hey guys. I've been absent most offseason, but I've been reading posts every now and then.

Um, certainly the lines that are posted are not the actual lines. Aren't those lines just made up by the web producer guy?

IF they are the actual lines (which, honestly, they can't be...) Mo has lost his mind.

Almost positive they were the lines at practice yesterday. Mo picked a helluva time to start messing with lines in order to finding chemistry. The thing is though, all of those lines will get jumbled around by the end of the 2nd period. If Mo and JR's homeboy LaRose scores expect him to remain in the top six for the rest of the season.

Trying to find chemistry by placing Dwyer ahead of Dalpe? If Dalpe is going to be on the 4th line, they might as well send him back to Charlotte. I know these lines will be jumbled soon and often, but even if they start the 1st game with these lines, I will be disappointed.

I'm at work and only caught the 1st period tonight, so I'm not sure if (or how often) the lines were juggled.

As for the lines that were used in the 1st - :twilight-zone: That goes for forwards and the defense.

I know Skinner and Staal together creates chances, but my is that having these two players together almost puts all of pucks in one basket.

As for the second line - Tlusty - Jokinen - LaRose. This baffles me. Tlusty just doesn't have what it takes to be a top 6 forward - we have given him enough time to try and prove us wrong. I guess I'm ok with Jokinen at center, although I prefer him at wing. I can understand trying to better out faceoffs (however, if that's the case, why didn't they use Jokinen at the wing more often last year - Ruutu was there most of the season... ?????).

I really do love and appreciate what LaRose brings to this team; however, he just isn't a top 6 forward...

Dwyer on the third line? Not Dalpe? hmm...

Dalpe AND Steward on the 4th line? I just don't get it. I can understand wanting to create some chemistry, but...

On to the defense..

I'm ok with Pitkanen Gleason. I'm not a huge fan of Pitkanen and I think we could have used the money we spent on him for someone else... like someone who can win faceoffs, or a winger for Staal.. Especially since we already have such a jam in our defense.

Kaberle Faulk - I'm not sure how much of Kaberle you guys watch from year to year, but I watch a lot of him. He makes multiple bone-headed plays where he turns the puck over (much like Pitkanen). Why are we pairing him with a rookie? Not only that, but we are pairing him with an offensive rookie. Why not pairing him with an experience DEFENSIVEman, someone who can make up for Kaberle's mistakes... like Allen.

Allen Harrison - I like these two players, I really do - just not together! Neither of these guys are offensive-minded, which is fine. This means they should be paired with someone who can create chances. In my mind, a defensive pairing should consist of an offensive-minded player and a pure DEFENSEman.

These would be my lines..

Poni Staal Jokinen

Skinner Ruutu Dalpe

LaRose Sutter Stewart

Tlusty Brent Dwyer

(I would swap Jokinen and Ruutu if needed, but this team desperately needs a second line center who can win faceoffs)

Pitkanen Gleason

Kaberle Allen

Harrison Faulk/McBain/Joslin/Murphy

Also, I think we'll wait till the end of November to mid December and see where the team is - if it's not good enough, Mo is gone. Who would be his replacement?

Ok.. I'm done ranting now. Sorry for any typos.. Typed this up quickly.. at work.. :spin:

Edited by jeromeo87

PP that emphasizes 100 passes as far away from the crease as possible prior to every shot.

PK feebly turtling and offering no resistance.

No discernible offensive game plan whatsoever.

Line combinations that change shift to shift.

Yep...we're still coached by Paul Maurice. How is this not self evident? The man's coached more than 1000 games, he is what he is - a poor NHL coach. He's not suddenly going to figure it out next week. He still hasn't adjusted to the post lockout NHL for goodness sake. Can we please get our heads out of the sand and at least look for our own Guy Boucher instead of just hoping reality changes inexplicably? Nothing changes if nothing changes - we're a stone cold lock for #3 in the SE again with this staff.

PP that emphasizes 100 passes as far away from the crease as possible prior to every shot.

PK feebly turtling and offering no resistance.

No discernible offensive game plan whatsoever.

Line combinations that change shift to shift.

Yep...we're still coached by Paul Maurice. How is this not self evident? The man's coached more than 1000 games, he is what he is - a poor NHL coach. He's not suddenly going to figure it out next week. He still hasn't adjusted to the post lockout NHL for goodness sake. Can we please get our heads out of the sand and at least look for our own Guy Boucher instead of just hoping reality changes inexplicably? Nothing changes if nothing changes - we're a stone cold lock for #3 in the SE again with this staff.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

These would be my lines..

Poni Staal Jokinen

Skinner Ruutu Dalpe

LaRose Sutter Stewart

Tlusty Brent Dwyer

(I would swap Jokinen and Ruutu if needed, but this team desperately needs a second line center who can win faceoffs)

Pitkanen Gleason

Kaberle Allen

Harrison Faulk/McBain/Joslin/Murphy

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

This would be my lines as well...I can't tell you how many times last night I told my wife during the game how much I hate Mo's lines...They make no sense!!!

Too many players in the wrong spot. I have never been a big Mo must Go person, but I believed I join the club after last nights game.

Staal, Skinner, Ruutu - nice line but it screems to the other team "if you stop this line you win".

Tlusty, Jokinen, LaRose - should not be a 2nd line even on the XBox... Tlusty & LaRose are 4th line players, maybe 3rd line if Dwyer was on the 4th. Jokinen is a waste at center...didn't we try this last year? Jokinen needs to be a 1st line wing.

Poni, Sutter, Dwyer...this is our 3rd line? Poni & Sutter fine, but Dwyer should not be above the 4th line.

Stewart, Brent, Dalpe...Really??? What a waste of Stewart & Dalpe! Both Stewart & Dalpe should be in the top 9. Tlusty, & Dwyer should be on the 4th line.

Can someone explain the point of keeping Murphy, & not playing him?

Does last nights game count as one of his 9 games?

If Dalpe is not going to play in the top 9 then send him down, & bring up Nash to play 4th line center...then move Sutter up to second line, & Brent up to third line.

Anything would be better than what I saw last night!!! :twilight-zone:

Edited by rocheccw

Is it too early to start thinking about getting a good draft pick? I am starting to think we will finish down around the Ottawa's and Edmonton's of the league. Might as well unload the impending UFA's now before it is too late and we lose them for nothing like Whitney and Cole. What wonderful low priced young players and picks we will receive for Ruutu, Poni, Allen and Gleason. I have been cheering for this team since 1986 and never have things looked more bleak. Same old story, the team is in a small market with only X number of dollars to spend. They can only sign so many high profile big money players and hope to fill the gaps with young players or players other teams have given up on. In order to peek enough interest and sell enough tickets the team has to at least make the playoffs. If the team does not make the playoffs there is less money to hold onto the players we have or sign free agents. Each year the team gets weaker and weaker and each year the team sells less tickets. What will this all come to? I have seen it all before.

Edited by RonnieFranchise

Um. Yeah.

An interesting stat from Kurt Dusterberg @ Hurricanesbest.com: "Against the 16 playoff teams last year, Carolina went 15-30. Against the rest of the league, the Canes were 25-12. They simply must improve against the top teams." Even more staggering when you realize 3 of those 12 were against a NJD team in playoff mode.

Likewise, if you go through Staal's stats, many of his big games are against teams like Atlanta and Florida.

This is why that Detroit game resonated with so many of us last year - they actually played well against a real playoff team. At some point those numbers need to change or they are going nowhere.

At least the one playoff teams they tended to play well was Washington. Let's hope that continues.

Sometimes I wonder if I pissed off Paul Maurice in a past life. He is surely out to give me a heart attack when he puts LaRose on the Staal line. If hockey was played with nets the size of soccer goals, sure. Until then please don't play him higher than the 3rd line. The dude couldn't finish even if he was from Finland.

The Canes are going nowhere fast with the current group. We need more than one scoring line. There is plenty of Umph from the back end now J.R. has to do some work up front. I hate to suggest it as he is one of my favorite players but you have to give up something to get something (Ruutu to Dallas for Eriksson). This would leave us a little lax on hitting so I would suggest picking up (Torres and Pyatt) from Phoenix for Say (Poni and Stewart). Our lines would look something like this.

Torres - Staal - Eriksson

Skinner - Jokinen - Dalpe

Tlusty - Sutter - Larose

Pyatt - Brent - Dwyer

What do you think?

If we make a trade it is going to be prospects (Boychuck) and one of the extra defensemen who has good upside and value (McBain). Loui is 26, just signed a 6 year deal and he is going nowhere. The scuttlebutt about Hemsky makes a lot of sense as he is in a contract year...Looking at some teams we have a recent trading history with I could see maybe trying to get Dave Bolland out of Chicago or even stay with the Ex-Leafs experiment and try to get Jarret Stoll out of LA. We can get a decent 3rd Line C for less, put Ruutu and Jussi on the wings and I thing we cann have some well balanced lines

Poni Staal Jokinen

Ruutu Sutter Skinner

Dalpe Stoll/Bolland Stewart

LaRose Brent Tlusty/Dwyer

Other than that, Dalpe needs a chance to play in the top 6...LaRose has zero place on the 2nd Line. We've talked about that enough though and so I am going to let that horse just stay dead.

The Canes are going nowhere fast with the current group. We need more than one scoring line. There is plenty of Umph from the back end now J.R. has to do some work up front. I hate to suggest it as he is one of my favorite players but you have to give up something to get something (Ruutu to Dallas for Eriksson). This would leave us a little lax on hitting so I would suggest picking up (Torres and Pyatt) from Phoenix for Say (Poni and Stewart). Our lines would look something like this.

Torres - Staal - Eriksson

Skinner - Jokinen - Dalpe

Tlusty - Sutter - Larose

Pyatt - Brent - Dwyer

What do you think?

I think you have some good ideas but you're trying to remake the offense about 2 months too late. I have a feeling you guys are going to be very disappointed regardless of what strides the team makes in the right direction. Just my opinion but who we have here now is who we have, save for a potential trade at some point using the extra dmen or a roll player.

To be able to compete in our division, this team needed to get bigger and stronger up front. The players that were added do make us tougher to play against but it may take a few games to find out where everyone best fits in. Last year, scoring goals wasn't the problem for this team and IMO its too soon to tell if the changes made up front to make the team tougher to play against will ultimately hurt the scoring. So far they've played 2 regular season games where the top players scored, and a handful of preseason games where there was mostly secondary scoring. Given that small sample, things don't seem so unbalanced to me.

The "LaRose is being used on the wrong line" has been discussed ad nauseum for about 3 years now and obviously isn't going away anytime soon.

If we make a trade it is going to be prospects (Boychuck) and one of the extra defensemen who has good upside and value (McBain). Loui is 26, just signed a 6 year deal and he is going nowhere. The scuttlebutt about Hemsky makes a lot of sense as he is in a contract year...Looking at some teams we have a recent trading history with I could see maybe trying to get Dave Bolland out of Chicago or even stay with the Ex-Leafs experiment and try to get Jarret Stoll out of LA. We can get a decent 3rd Line C for less, put Ruutu and Jussi on the wings and I thing we cann have some well balanced lines

Poni Staal Jokinen

Ruutu Sutter Skinner

Dalpe Stoll/Bolland Stewart

LaRose Brent Tlusty/Dwyer

Other than that, Dalpe needs a chance to play in the top 6...LaRose has zero place on the 2nd Line. We've talked about that enough though and so I am going to let that horse just stay dead.

I've been thinking about Stoll, as well. Good defensively, good at faceoffs.. Lets us move Sutter up.. Doesn't sound like a bad idea; looking at the Kings depth chart, Stoll may be expendable.. But I'm sure there is a better thread for this kind of chat..

I've often thought there should be a pinned trade proposal thread, whether they come out of left field or not.

Just my personal opinion but I think trade proposal threads seem kind of silly. I know they're used on other NHL team boards and that people do enjoy playing GM but isn't that what the general in season thread is for?

I thought this thread was more about balanced scoring rather than playing GM.

Just my personal opinion but I think trade proposal threads seem kind of silly. I know they're used on other NHL team boards and that people do enjoy playing GM but isn't that what the general in season thread is for?

I thought this thread was more about balanced scoring rather than playing GM.

They are often silly regardless of which thread they appear in. :P As far as the intent of the thread, I agree (that we need balanced scoring). Which team wouldn't.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The frustrating thing about our prospects of acquiring scoring via trade is our significant salary constraints. We have plenty of desirable assets. Some combination of McBain, Boychuk, or even Bowman could result in a very competitive proposal for a high-level scorer. We even have the 2nd round pick we acquired from San Jose in the Ian White deal.

The problem is that we would need to shed salary if we wanted to acquire a reasonably large contract, and truthfully we don't really have any bad contracts to dump. JR has been very effective in getting hometown discounts, and has been willing to lose those who want inflated free agent contracts. Unless we raise our self-imposed cap, it's going to be tricky.

As much as it tries my patience, I think we should hold off to see what gels and only pull the trigger if we get to the point where we are going to have to dig ourselves out of a hole to play beyond April 7.

I've been thinking about Stoll, as well. Good defensively, good at faceoffs.. Lets us move Sutter up.. Doesn't sound like a bad idea; looking at the Kings depth chart, Stoll may be expendable.. But I'm sure there is a better thread for this kind of chat..

Agreed but I was not sure where to place it.

I think you have some good ideas but you're trying to remake the offense about 2 months too late. I have a feeling you guys are going to be very disappointed regardless of what strides the team makes in the right direction. Just my opinion but who we have here now is who we have, save for a potential trade at some point using the extra dmen or a roll player.

To be able to compete in our division, this team needed to get bigger and stronger up front. The players that were added do make us tougher to play against but it may take a few games to find out where everyone best fits in. Last year, scoring goals wasn't the problem for this team and IMO its too soon to tell if the changes made up front to make the team tougher to play against will ultimately hurt the scoring. So far they've played 2 regular season games where the top players scored, and a handful of preseason games where there was mostly secondary scoring. Given that small sample, things don't seem so unbalanced to me.

The "LaRose is being used on the wrong line" has been discussed ad nauseum for about 3 years now and obviously isn't going away anytime soon.

Agreed however I have wanted to get Pyatt, Torres and Eriksson long before the season started. I am still dumbfounded as to why J.R. signed Poni and Kaberle in the off season. It is as if he has never watched these guys play or had some kind of outside influence (Maurice).. Kaberle is a shadow of what he was and I have never liked Poni's game. Brent and Boucher were great signings.

If anyone doesn't mind, I'll merge this thread with the in season general discussion thread. No sense having similar discussions happening in two different places.

Two new goal scorers today, that should help some with the balance issues.

Can someone explain the point of keeping Murphy, & not playing him?

Does first three games count toward his 9 games?

I would think the experience of being with the team explains most of it. He has to actually play in a game for it to be counted toward the 9-game limit.