The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers News

The Chex dropped thier first game in Norfolk 6-5 in OT. The Admirals came back from a 2 goal deficit in the third to force overtime.

Charlotte got two goals from Jerome Samson, two by Jon Matsumoto, and one by Zach Boychuk.

The Chex play the Admirals again tonight at Scope in Norfolk.

CHECKERS DROP SEASON OPENER

Can't wait for home opener Saturday night. Think I might go to the Houston game the next week too. It'll be cool playing against bigger markets being Charlotte is a big market.

I will be at the Sunday Oct 16th game against Peoria. Hopefully the first of many games I will make this season (especially if my brother stays generous with the free tickets.. he snagged me one with the Goodwill donation giveaway).

I don't know anything about the St Louis Blues young guns/prospects so should be an interesting game, plus the player skate/autographs afterwards, always good.

Checkers beat Peoria 4-3 in a shootout. It was Charlotte's home opener.They Chex lost a 3rd period lead and won in the 7th round of the shootout.

CHECKERS HANG ON TO WIN HOME OPENER

By Paul Branecky

It was exciting to watch, but at the end of the day, the Checkers were more relieved than anything.

Checkers won their second game today beating Peoria in the second straight game. This time 3-1. I hope somebody that went will post their observations.

Checkers won their second game today beating Peoria in the second straight game. This time 3-1. I hope somebody that went will post their observations.

That was a very good game, Charlotte looked in control the entire time. From our seats in 102 we are in the endzone of the "Checkers shoot twice" side, and the single Peoria goal happened on the other side of the ice, so I didn't really get a good look at it, but from the jumbotron replay it looked like a really flukey bounce, hit murphy in the hand, then shoulder then flipped up behind him, landed at the goal line and the Peoria player tapped it in before he could react. Murphy was VERY solid in net. The two pad stack slide on one save was very nice. Saved what would have been an easy tap in goal.

Very chippy and a lot of pushing and shoving, but it didn't translate into a lot of powerplays since a lot of it was off-setting. Charlotte did have a very lengthy 2 man advantage that they didn't score on, but burned up a lot of clock. Matsumoto is worth the price of admission, he is pacing the Chex with 9 points in 4 games, and I believe his goal was the GWer.

After the game when all the other guys came out to sign autographs and skate with the fans we say Brett Sutter in a suit and tie with his gear bag and a bundle of sticks. We assumed he got called up but didnt know until the next day. Interesting that they call up a guy with 0 points, but he gets his first assist as a Cane in the first game. Obviously they have done their homework on him.

I have some pictures from the game and the post ice skate I will post in the Checkers Pictures Thread

Justin Faulk scored and the Checkers ended up winning in a SO. Yet again though, they allowed a last minute goal, thankfully though this time this goal just tied the game. But still, :Aarrg:

Goals from Jordan, McNicoll and Bowman, Charlotte defeats Norfolk 3-1 :woohoo: Move to 4-2-1 in the young season. Tied with Milwaukee for the Midwest Division lead!

Terry scores two and Checkers beat San Antonio 4-1 and take over the Midwest division lead, assuming Milwaukee loses (they are trailing 5-3 with 3 minutes left).

Penalty fest in Houston as the Chex fall 5-3. Both teams were 2-of-10 on the PP. Goals from J, J, and J.. (Justin Soryal, Jon Matsumoto and Jerome Samson).

Currently tied 1-1 in Grand Rapids about halfway through the 2nd.. Goal by Blanchard.. hope they can bounce back from last nights loss in Milwuakee... Updates to follow.

**Justin Faulk has scored.. it's 2-1 Charlotte. 2nd intermission.

**Checkers win 2-1!! Go Charlotte!

Edited by ericncsu

For those that are interested, tonight Checkers game versus the Miluwakee Admirals is being televised on Time Warner Cable Special Events Channel 520. You do have to have TWC to get this channel. This is the second game they have televised this season and they have a list of about 10 that will be. Hope this continues.

GO CHECKERS!

*Checkers win 3-2 with goals from Boychuk(2) and Terry. They ended Miluwakee's streak of 23 road games without a regulation loss.

Edited by ericncsu

Add another W to the standings. Checkers win 5-1 against Milwaukee. Justin Peters was a minute away from a shut out (possibly the first of his pro career?), but the Admirals had to spoil it.

Good weekend for them at least. Speaks volumes about our future if we even get to see some of these guys in Raleigh.

Checkers return from the road (same as the Canes) tonight with a home clash against the Chicago Wolves. Hey, how about that, the Canes are playing the Canucks tonight and the Checkers are playing the Canucks farmhands. I'll be at this game tonight (3rd one this season so far), so I'll be cheering on the Canes from Charlotte. I also have tickets to the Jan 15th game that was a freebie from buying something from the Bears Den this week. That will be fun.

Be back tonight after the game with an update. Go Checkers!!

**Booooo... was a great game, but Checkers fall 2-1. We outshot them by a long shot, tons of chances just couldn't cash in. Matteiu Roy scored the one goal for Charlotte. The Chicago net minder was HUGE, like 6'5... so I guess for him that was enough. Outplayed the Wolves all night long but they win.. disappointing.

Edited by ericncsu