The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Checkers News

Looking forward to the Jan 15th game.. hope they can get things together. Righted the ship a little, I think they are 2-2 in their last 4. 6-3-1-0 in their last 10 according to theahl.com. Hope they can keep it going.. we need a Calder Cup baby!

Don't know if it was his first one at the AHL level, but congrats to John Muse on his shutout last night! 26 saves I believe as the Checkers throttled Abbotsford 5-0. I was following the game on theahl.com and each time I refreshed it was like 2-0 Checkers, 3-0 Checkers, 4-0 Checkers..... 3 goals on the PP. Chris Terry with 4 assists. Dadonov didn't crack the score sheet, but Jenks did with 3 SOG.

Three in a row now for the Chex. (Oh and it says it was the Checkers first shutout of the season, so even if it's not his first, congrats John!)

*Also, from the Jan 15 game against Grand Rapids (posting the pictures reminded me) Rasmus Rissanen scored his first Career Professional goal, which was also the game winner, so what a night for him! Beautiful shot, from an odd angle on the backhand, swept it past the goalie, off the far post and in. Looked like one of those "harmless" shots and then *boom* the horn's going off.

I never kept up with the River Rats when they were up in Albany, so the combination of them moving to Charlotte, actually getting to go to games, meet the players, get autographs, playoff game last year and then my brother having season tickets this year, I've been closely following the Checkers now. And I'm starting to treat them as two different hockey clubs, sure the guys go back and forth, but I don't cheer for the Checkers because I am a Canes fan, now I cheer for the Checkers because I am a Checkers fan. If they go deep in the playoffs and get experience and that helps them move up to the Hurricanes that's awesome but I'd like to see them win the Calder cup just because it would be great for the team and the city of Charlotte and we can hang another banner!

Checkers broke attendance record on Friday night with 13,021 people at the game. They lost though.

13,000 +, wow! Anybody know what they are averaging per night and how that compares to the league average? I need to get down there and check out a game.

Last year, the Checkers were averaging around 6,100 per game.

I was at the game where they broke their attendance record. Shame they lost to the "Ice Hogs"

Checkers won last night over Milwaukee in OT 2-1 to start their back-to-back-to-back weekend. They are in Peoria tonight before returning home tomorrow to play the Norfolk.