The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

Coach, I appreciate the way that you have made me feel depressed just four days into the hockey season. Can anybody explain to me just how Mo keeps his job? A couple of years ago, JR signed some guys to take another stab at the Cup and Mo thanks him by taking the team on a 14 game winless streak. You know you are on a major run when you start approaching the worst streak in league history. Mo obviously can't evaluate talent and figure out where it belongs on the ice. LaRose as a 1st liner? Please. I like Chad, but he is not a 1st line winger, you know, a guy who is a playmaker or a scorer. Chad is an energy guy that is good defensively and will chip in a goal here and there from hustle and being in the right place. I think Mo falls into doing what is familiar rather than trying something new. Last season Samsonov went from 4th line to the press box to the 1st line in 3 games. Samsonov and LaRose rotated in and out of the 1st line for over half the season until Mo figured out that it didn't work. Now, Chad is back on top. This team has missed the playoffs too many times by a game or two. We can't afford to get a month into the season and have 4 or 5 points. Somebody is too comfortable and needs a wake up call. Mo must go.

Ichigo Update: Didn't think it needed a new thread, confirmed by 99.9 and Mike Maniscalco, coach Mo was fired this morning 11/28/11: @999TheFan 99.9 The Fan BREAKING NEWS...99.9 The Fan's Mike Maniscalco is now confirming that Paul Maurice has been fired as head coach of The Carolina Hurricanes. ice_chip Chip Alexander Canes Now - Maurice fired; Muller expected to be named | newsobserver.com blogs: bit.ly/vPPKCV via @AddThis

Edited by Ichigo-1

Unfortunately with Coach Mo, we've all learned that every season is Groundhog Day all over again. Keep shuffling the lines to make it look like you are doing something. Nevermind that it NEVER works. EVER.......

As some others have said and I agree, he will be gone by the end of November. I just hope that the damage isn't too great to overcome by then.

I've been a full season ticket holder for 11 years and believe me, seeing this same team in person gets old really quick. I'm dedicated and have always gone to the games regardless of their record. However, with performances like that stinker on opening night, the casual fans that the Canes REALLY need to sell tickets to will not be anywhere near the RBC Center this season.

Like the Bud Light commercial says "Here we go!"

I have been a HUGE Mo fan over the years. I defended him last year when we were struggling. The inconsistency and the inability to adjust is absolutely killing us. We need a fresh face to spark this team. WAAAAY too much talent to be losing. The way it looks, the only team we will definitely beat on any given night in the division is the Jets, and that isn't saying much. We need a fresh start with a new coach who has a new scheme that is up-to-par with the rest of the league.

What say you?

Edited by OBXer

So is it safe to say the title to this thread is missing its sarcasm warning ? :rolleyes:

So, just where do folks go to vent about the subject? There are at least 2 threads going and themes all over the place right now. I'm with SuperDave, I'm depressed, and I consider myself a pretty level-headed poster.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So, just where do folks go to vent about the subject? There are at least 2 threads going and themes all over the place right now. I'm with SuperDave, I'm depressed, and I consider myself a pretty level-headed poster.

If there are at least two threads about it, I'd say in them.

If there are at least two threads about it, I'd say in them.

Well, including this one I could have sworn I saw a "Fire MO" thread, but I guess that was my imagination working. But this thread works fine too. Mo Must Go! :D

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well, including this one I could have sworn I saw a "Fire MO" thread, but I guess that was my imagination working. But this thread works fine too. Mo Must Go! :D

I think they were all merged into one thread to keep the topic in one place. Vent away....

Coach, I appreciate the way that you have made me feel depressed just four days into the hockey season.

Can anybody explain to me just how Mo keeps his job? A couple of years ago, JR signed some guys to take another stab at the Cup and Mo thanks him by taking the team on a 14 game winless streak. You know you are on a major run when you start approaching the worst streak in league history.

Mo obviously can't evaluate talent and figure out where it belongs on the ice. LaRose as a 1st liner? Please. I like Chad, but he is not a 1st line winger, you know, a guy who is a playmaker or a scorer. Chad is an energy guy that is good defensively and will chip in a goal here and there from hustle and being in the right place. I think Mo falls into doing what is familiar rather than trying something new. Last season Samsonov went from 4th line to the press box to the 1st line in 3 games. Samsonov and LaRose rotated in and out of the 1st line for over half the season until Mo figured out that it didn't work. Now, Chad is back on top.

This team has missed the playoffs too many times by a game or two. We can't afford to get a month into the season and have 4 or 5 points. Somebody is too comfortable and needs a wake up call.

Mo must go.

Hey super_Dave,I think your disfunction is very contagious, I feel the same way, why wait til its to late to save the season.

We definitely need to hire outside of the organization and we need to do it before the end of November. Can't let ourselves get in a hole early. The conference, and the division, is just too good to fall behind early.

Hmmm, so it seems this season that even the Mo apologists are keeping quiet on the subject.

Hand wringing, complaining, discussing, arguing... All have been done for years. We even got rid of him, won a cup without him, and like a bad dream, all of a sudden he showed back up.

He has totally killed my enthusiasm for this team (along with some of the front office moves). I have been an avid JR supporter, but his blindness in the area of head coach boggles my mind...

They love to put Mo's record on the screen at the beginning of each game, with a win% of over .500. On what planet is 452-447-99-65 an over .500 record? That's 452 wins, and 512 losses, I don't care that you got a point for some of those losses. Spin it anyway you want, in what other sport have you seen a coach with a record this poor get 12 seasons with the same franchise.

The good ole boy network needs to stop protecting and start providing us with a product we want to see on the ice. We have paid for it, we deserve it.

Edited by hag65

They love to put Mo's record on the screen at the beginning of each game, with a win% of over .500. On what planet is 452-447-99-65 an over .500 record? That's 452 wins, and 517 losses, I don't care that you got a point for some of those losses.

I made that point last season and was told just how wrong I was. The way they now figure over .500 is points so technically a coach could be 0-0-82 and be a .500 coach while never winning a game.

Edited by super_dave_1

We should have hired Kevin Dineen during the off season!!!

I'm already tired of Mo trying the same thing that didn't work last year.

Jokinen at center...didn't work. Put him at wing.

LaRose in the top 6...didn't work. He is at best when he is on the 4th line. 3rd line tops!

Tlusty / Dwyer in the top 9...didn't work. They are 4th line players. Of course this means LaRose or Tlusty on the 3rd line.

Dalpe(top prospect) on the 4th line...didn't work. Either mix him into the top 9 or send him to Charlotte. He can't develop with only 5-8 mins a night.

Ok...I need to stop before I get mad...you wouldn't like it when I get mad.

I used to defend Mo but I've simply had it now. There's not really much reason to keep him here. If we don't make the playoffs this year and he's still here I will be very upset.

I'm not big on firing coaches in any sport. If you don't have someone who is a lot better - not just a little better - but a lot better, it's not worth getting rid of the current guy for financial reasons.

However with his contract ending at the end of the season, I say if we don't see this team in the post season, it's time to look at other options and not renew Mo.

I agree with some of the things said here by people. A previous poster brought up a great point about Dalpe. You have to put a young scoring player on a scoring line. The same thing was done last season and he was right back in the AHL a few weeks later.

Mo was 100% to blame, in my opinion for the disaster that took place in the 2009 - 2010 season, but he was given a free pass / get out of jail card so to speak because of his success the previous season.

Last season wasn't that bad, I thought, and I think he saved his job. For that team to come within 1 game of the playoffs was pretty impressive, I felt.

So now you have a team clearly better than last year (huge improvements in net, adding Kaberle in the mix, the kids like Skinner, Sutter, Dalpe a year older) so you need to see improvements from last year.

But to talk about a change after three games is nuts! Tampa is a great team. Washington was having their season opener in front of a packed house AND they were fresh and we weren't. NJ was the best team in the league past All Star Break last season.

This schedule started off brutal this year and if we can survive till Thanksgiving and not ahve an 09/10 start, we have a stretch of much much easier games.

Breathe people. It's been three games. But if we are in the pits come March, don't renew that contract JR!

I'm not big on firing coaches in any sport. If you don't have someone who is a lot better - not just a little better - but a lot better, it's not worth getting rid of the current guy for financial reasons.

However with his contract ending at the end of the season, I say if we don't see this team in the post season, it's time to look at other options and not renew Mo.

I agree with some of the things said here by people. A previous poster brought up a great point about Dalpe. You have to put a young scoring player on a scoring line. The same thing was done last season and he was right back in the AHL a few weeks later.

Mo was 100% to blame, in my opinion for the disaster that took place in the 2009 - 2010 season, but he was given a free pass / get out of jail card so to speak because of his success the previous season.

Last season wasn't that bad, I thought, and I think he saved his job. For that team to come within 1 game of the playoffs was pretty impressive, I felt.

So now you have a team clearly better than last year (huge improvements in net, adding Kaberle in the mix, the kids like Skinner, Sutter, Dalpe a year older) so you need to see improvements from last year.

But to talk about a change after three games is nuts! Tampa is a great team. Washington was having their season opener in front of a packed house AND they were fresh and we weren't. NJ was the best team in the league past All Star Break last season.

This schedule started off brutal this year and if we can survive till Thanksgiving and not ahve an 09/10 start, we have a stretch of much much easier games.

Breathe people. It's been three games. But if we are in the pits come March, don't renew that contract JR!

The thing is that everyone is so tired of always being in 9th-12th. Which always seems to happen with Maurice. I will admit it's early but it's just not good indications.

The only thing that happened positive with Mo as the coach was when he took the team to the ECF the year Lavi was fired. There is no excuse that that is the only time we have been in the playoffs since winning the Cup in 2006. My best friend lives in Philly, and they are tough sports critics there, but everyone I know in Philly agree that Laviolette is the best coach of the major sports up there. Why did we fire the guy who won us the Cup? When he was fired we were hovering a little over .500 that early in the season, but Mo loses 14 in a row and he is not fired. It just does not make sense. I have nothing against Paul Maurice, but it is time that we see a new face again to spark this team, I personally would love to see Jeff Daniels as our head coach, I think he is solid.

The thing is that everyone is so tired of always being in 9th-12th. Which always seems to happen with Maurice.

Which is exactly why I said they need to make the playoffs....

Someone at work made a good point today. Our fanbase is on edge because not only did the team miss the post season by 1 game twice, but we also endured the 14 game "winless streak". If only 1 or 2 of these things didn't happen the past couple of years I think people would give a little more leeway this early on.

Keep in mind that changing the coach will be starting from scratch and changing the whole system. If there's a response to a coach getting fired, it usually comes in the first game or two right after the firing, then there will be a learning curve to put the right peices in place for the remainder of the season or in other terms, lots of line juggling.

Who are you guys thinking the new coach coming in should be? Brind'Amour is committed to the AAA Jr team and admits he's not ready for prime time action behind the bench. Dave Lewis is a coach in waiting but he's known more as a teacher of young players, so is Paul Maurice even though many here I'm sure will argue that point. Where does that leave the vets and doesn't it sounds like a similar situation to what we may already have. Jeff Daniels is a viable option but that decision needs to come soon to help keep the Checkers on the right track. The Checkers incidentally have had the same start to the season as the Canes (I think).

Just some food for thought...

That's true, you only fire a coach if you have someone better lined up to fill the position... so my only question: is Miguel the hotdog vender still available?

That's true, you only fire a coach if you have someone better lined up to fill the position... so my only question: is Miguel the hotdog vender still available?

Larry_Cable_Guy_thats_funny_right_t.jpg