The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

:banana:

:yahoo:

The season starts today! Nothing personal against Maurice, but this was long overdue. With a new coach, may we actually see....

Lines?

A Power Play?

Checking?

So excited to see what's coming.

Press conference at 5pm, official announcement should be soon. Should be a day full of info from all levels. It is a bit exciting. Wonder if there will be some more changes yet...

Edited by Ichigo-1

Best of luck to Paul Maurice and his family. It was definitely time for a change here but I hate to see anyone get fired from their job.

Best of luck to Paul Maurice and his family. It was definitely time for a change here but I hate to see anyone get fired from their job.

Yeah, at the end of the day he is just another guy working, sure he will be alright.

Sorry Mo, you know we all wanted it to work out. thanks for getting us to eastern conference finals your first year back, that was an awesome spring. Hope you get a new job and keep your head up, you are responsible for a stanley cup appearance and an eastern conference final appearance, you've done some good things here. It may not even be your fault we suck so bad, but a change is needed when a team struggles this bad and you know your first in line.

One thing I'll miss is Mo's humor. But even that evaporated this month. He had no room for it.

Good luck Mo. Sorry, but you know how it goes.

Either Mo lands another coaching gig with another organization...or JR finds him a spot in the organization. Mo has bled Caniac red since before there was a Carolina Hurricanes...as much as I wanted to see him relieved of HC duties, I don't want to see him kicked to the curb.

I hope that someday when Maurice gets invited back to the RBC Center (or PNC Center) he'll be welcomed back and not booed. Whether or not his decisions were always the right ones, I believe he always made them thinking he was keeping the best interest of this franchise in mind. Rod Brind'Amour finished out his career with two of the worst seasons he ever played but when he stepped back on the ice for his retirement celebration, only the amazing contributions he made to this franchise were remembered and celebrated.

Paul Maurice may never have won us all a Stanley Cup like Rod Brind'Amour but the run he took this team on in 2002 helped put NC hockey on the map not only in Raleigh, but across the entire league. Hopefully someday he'll be remembered here for the good he did.

FINALLY SOMETHING!!!!

I would love to have seen (in theory) what Mo could have done with a talented team. Until the last game of the year last year, that team overachieved as did the team that got to the ECF as did his team that went to the SCF. But losing has a way of wearing things down. After a while no matter who the coach is they get tuned out a little more every time they have whip the team back into the fold, every time the work the coach asks for yields a loss. I wish Mo well. I'm still not convinced that given a talented team he might not bring them to the promised land, but this run was really over when the team rolled on the most important game of the year last year. Anyway, good luck to Mo.

JR waited too long to make this move. My guess is that he was frantically trying to find "the" trade that would shake things up but couldn't get it done. Probably because nobody wants an overpaid soft, underachieving Kaberle, and JR doesn't want to trade McBain. Then, the team seemed to respond for a few games there. It was still obvious to most of us that the same weaknesses were still there, maybe just better hidden. The need for a move was pretty obvious about 3-4 weeks ago, but the Montreal debacle should have sealed the deal. Still, this can't have been easy for JR, so better late than never.

This team still needs more skill up front, and less Kaberle on the back. My guess is that JR will keep shopping him and maybe he'll start playing well enough to be worth something later. The season is mostly shot, at least enough so that trading the future is not really an option (exception would be getting a guy we can sign for a few years).

Anyway, we still need that first line winger or it will be same song different day, but at least something happened, finally.

Edited by remkin

It was either now or let the contract run out. I'm glad they went with the now option. I think they had too, considering all the "Mo must go" chants during the Jets game.

I have been waiting and hoping for this day for so long. I have nothing against Mo but we have been underachieving for far too long. I do believe in our core of players: not a flashy group that will sell jerseys but lots of character and enough talent to surprise. Poor Staalsy is in the biggest slump of his life and Ward has been seeing more rubber than any starter in the league over the past couple years. Somethings has to change. I look forward to Muller bringing that.

Finally, a new day dawns in Raleigh. Something had to be done. I agree with you Remkin, I think JR was trying to move Kabs, maybe a couple others, and just couldn't find any takers. I disagree he waited too long, I think he's probably been working this for at least a couple of weeks, it isn't easy to pull in a coach from another team. I give him a lot of credit for that, though not enough to cover for the disastrous summer of misdeals that led this team to this point.

Good luck to Mo, and welcome to NC Coach Muller. I hope you can light a fire under Staal, Gleason, and our special teams.

Final thought for now...I saw something on Puck Daddy over the holiday/weekend about how Mondays were the most popular firing day, and thought that would be a nice way to start a long week after the holiday. And there were two kicked to the curb today, both well-deserved and a long time coming. Monday is a tough day for coaches!

Well, the change had to happen. Nice man and I wish him well, but not right for the situation and future. It happens way more often than most think, where this is high profile. Every coach knows this day is coming, with very few exceptions.

Good luck to Paul Maurice, and welcome Kirk Muller.

Well, the change had to happen. Nice man and I wish him well, but not right for the situation and future. It happens way more often than most think, where this is high profile. Every coach knows this day is coming, with very few exceptions.

Good luck to Paul Maurice, and welcome Kirk Muller.

Well said---I agree completely !

One thing I'll miss is Mo's humor. But even that evaporated this month. He had no room for it.

Good luck Mo. Sorry, but you know how it goes.

You'll hear his humor again, when the Canes shop for a new coach sometime in the future and bring him back on an "interim basis" :coverears::twilight-zone:

All I know is that run in '09 are some of the best times I've had as a Caniac. I wish Maurice well. At the same time, I feel like a whole ton of bricks is off my shoulders, as a fan. Time to move forward.

Go Canes!

No place to put this post as the Mo thread is locked, but for those who didn't watch

John and Tripp tonight, ( and for all Mo bashers) they showed the white board message

Mo left for the new coach. It read:

460311939.jpg

NOW THAT WAS CLASSY !! :applause:

UNCCaniac8, moved your post over to here because I thought it was was the perfect post to end this thread.

460311939.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1322665030&Signature=JasiDnRPXSFN1otJNKY7wi%2BOHxw%3D