The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

Coach Mo gone, confirmed by Mike Maniscalco and Chip Alexander| Coaching and how to fix it discussion

Why did we fire the guy who won us the Cup? When he was fired we were hovering a little over .500 that early in the season, but Mo loses 14 in a row and he is not fired. It just does not make sense.

Don't forget that the team was mired in 2 years of possibly the most injured state we had ever been. Quite simply, the same standards have not been applied to Mo. Not even close.

That's true, you only fire a coach if you have someone better lined up to fill the position... so my only question: is Miguel the hotdog vender still available?

Please provide some cleaning products. I do believe my laptop screen has been liberally sprayed with coffee. Classic. :woohoo:

Paul Maurice was re-hired out of pity from his seniors in the Canes good-old-boy club. That is 85% of THE reason, the remaining 15% was that he would work cheap.

He's a coach with a career losing record. The simple fact that Laviolette came in and won the Cup in such a short time is very telling. Maurice is not innovative. He's not a motivator. He's soft and rely's entirely on a few players who he feels comfortable with. He makes scapegoats out of players who aren't in his "circle" and gives his "circle" a free pass.

I also am not fond of making coaching changes on a whim. And I like Coach Maurice. I appreciate his devotion to growing the sport here - which he stuck with even when in Toronto and such an opinion wasn't necessarily to his advantage. I enjoy his sense of humor. I like that he is not one to throw the players under the bus at every opportunity. And what others have seen as him not giving the younger players a chance I have seen as his desire to protect the younger players from situations where their confidence will take a hit. (This is an appreciation thread, right?) ;)

But I also see that there can come a time when there is a need for such a change. This is still a new market. Making the play-offs on a regular basis is vital to the survival of the franchise. Play off hockey is the best way to attract new fans and to convert new and casual fan into die hard fans. And the success that the play offs represent goes a long way in retaining the die hard fans.

While the expectations going into last season were not high, when it became apparent what the team actually had going for it, making the play offs was a reasonable expectation. With all the new fans brought in by the All Star Game and the emergence of Skinner, making the play offs would have done a lot for growing the fan base. That opportunity was wasted. Missing the play offs again this year would pretty much negate any advantage that opportunity presented.

For that reason, if it appears that the team is headed in the wrong direction for very long, I think it needs to be corrected - with a coaching change if necessary - sooner than waiting for the end of the season and simply not renewing the contract if the play offs are missed. If they make a coaching change and still miss the play offs that won't help with attracting or solidifying new fans, but it would at least help with retaining the die hard fans who will see that the organization expects, and demands, better.

Finally!! A thread up my alley where the admins won't whine about my posts!

Look, I'm sorry Mo got hurt playing for a PK team, I really am. He's a nice guy - good since of humor. Stand up guy. I'm sure he speaks very well in those organization meetings, etc. etc. etc.

I have seen those kind of people at my job too....the question remains....DO THEY DELIVER???

In Mo's case. No. From day one of head coaching. No. Record speaks for itself.

Early in the decade....a team of vets that WANTED IT. Had nothing to do with Mo.

After Lavi got the axe....a healed team that WANTED IT. Had nothing to do with Mo.

What has he done in between? I'm listening.....Toronto fans? I'm listening too. Exactly.....nothing.

He has delivered nothing other than being a baby sitter. Thanks. It's time to move on.

I would respect PK more if he would just say that he is happy he won a cup and he just wants to keep an active NHL team so he can leave it for his son. Because that is all I am seeing from this organization.

Hey PK and JR....move to Canada and see what kind of response you will receive.

I can read the 'Art of War' a thousand times....does that mean I will know what to do when the action starts?

No. That is what Mo brings to the table. He can analyze, watch tape and think till the stars burn out on what to do BEFORE a game. He doesn't know what to do DURING a game. We need a coach with dynamic games plans, grows young stars, and can adapt to TODAY's game.

So who do we get? I don't really care. I would rather lose out the season under someone else than another game with him. As long as this team/coaching staff LEARNED something and didn't make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again.

But PK will keep Mo to make sure we stay in the bottom of the salary range. Trying to prove his unatainable point that you can win on the cheap. Good luck with that PK.

I will continue to love the Canes no matter what....but this got old two seasons ago.

Open for debate.

InvisibleCane, that pretty much sums up my opinion. And why everyone shouldn't be considered a Mo hater because of it. One of the better posts I've read here in quite a while. Well done.

Sums up my opinion too. Just because someone doesn't agree that all the blame should fall only on Maurice doesn't mean they don't think a change would be a good idea too. Sometimes its just time for a change.

Sums up my opinion too. Just because someone doesn't agree that all the blame should fall only on Maurice doesn't mean they don't think a change would be a good idea too. Sometimes its just time for a change.

I just edited/deleted my original post out. Dadgum, and sorry. I was trying to add that I think there a lot of fans who are in that boat.

Well put, Invisiblecane. I think there are many who feel exactly that way. I like Mo's dry sense of humor too, but I think it's time to move on. For whatever reason, I think the comfort level is, well, too comfortable. I keep hearing "We are close", "We had a lead going into the 3rd", etc. This isn't a bunch of 6 year olds where everybody gets a participation trophy.

Some good comments on here from some level headed folks.

Yes, it's nothing personal. It's just sports. I'm sure Mo is a great guy. I'm sure most people do not wish him any ill will. I'm sure he's a much better coach than I could ever be. But I haven't dedicated my life to it, and I don't have millions of dollars of customer revenue riding on my (any my players) performances either.

I think a lot of us are just sick of it. Yeah, we could end up with worse, but the last time JR picked up a coach that wasn't Mo, we won a cup. Who woulda thunk it?

I say roll the dice, and take yer chances. Good or bad, it would at least be more exciting.

I don't think the OP intended to begin a "flame" type thread. It's good there can be some level-headed discussion on a subject that's been on all our minds since Mo was rehired, regardless of one's opinion.

Key word= level headed

Laughable thread. Appreciation thread made to call for the ousting of thr coach=flame war

Sounds like another crusade by the OP to me. Its time for another slug match up, no?

Key word= level headed

Laughable thread. Appreciation thread made to call for the ousting of thr coach=flame war

Sounds like another crusade by the OP to me. Its time for another slug match up, no?

Sounds to me like you have some kind of an agenda, as you show up with your gas can ready to throw fuel on a fire. Nice try.

The other crusade resulted in a sold out game so I'd say it was successful, although I take no credit for it. Do I believe the rantings of an internet moron (like me for instance) make a hill of beans difference in the big picture? Not so much.

If I do have that kind of influence, I'd love to see a coaching change. I have seen enough mediocrity and had enough excuses about how "close we are" etc.

I also think it's wonderful that someone would put so much energy and emotion into following me around from message board to message board just so they can be near me. I'm sorry to let you know that I'm married and not in the market for another significant other ;)

Edited by super_dave_1

Really, again with this drama? Whatever beef you two have with each other needs to be taken back to whatever board it came from. Any further replies that don't have to do with the topic at hand will get this thread locked, which isn't fair to the "level headed" folks that are discussing this topic calmly and rationally.

Wasn't the team that Mo took to the ECF in essence, Lavi's team? Since then, zip, zero, nada in terms of a playoff berth. When a team misses the playoffs by one or two points, early season slow starts will come back to bite you at the end of the season.

My take on Mo is pretty simple. If he were fired, who else would hire him? No one, without the initials PK.

WStout is right, keeping him around started with his injury and has gone from there. Good points by golfpro and Invisiblecane as well.

I stood up for him during the 2009-10 debacle. Started to turn last year with the .500 hockey approach. I'm ready for a change, but I do not want to see Daniels in that slot; I see him as Mo 2.0, another guy that owes his livelihood to PK and JR and hasn't been tested outside this club. That said, he does have a lot of experience with younger players, which is what we need.

If things keep going as they have so far we won't have long to worry about Mo, of that I am sure. And I'm fine with that. If things improve and he sticks through the year and gets into the playoffs, well I'm OK with that too.

Dear Mo,

You are still playing to many players in the wrong spot / line.

Right now if your not going to play Faulk, or Dalpe(in the top 9) then send them both to Charlotte.

Please for the love of hockey take LaRose off of the 1st line...Jokinen, Ruutu, Stewart / Dalpe / even Poni would be better than a career 4th liner playing on the top line.

By the way...I would never want my top line to be too defensive...they are suppose to be scoring goals!!! Backcheck some yes, but if they are doing their job then they are mostly in on a hard forecheck.

Your lines have not made sense all season.

Thanks,

Concerned Caniac

Please for the love of hockey take LaRose off of the 1st line

By the way...I would never want my top line to be too defensive...they are suppose to be scoring goals!!! Backcheck some yes, but if they are doing their job then they are mostly in on a hard forecheck.

The reason we were given that LaRose was there was for his defense, right? Wasn't he -21 last season?

The reason we were given that LaRose was there was for his defense, right? Wasn't he -21 last season?

Yes, & Yes...yet another thing that just doesn't make any sense to me.

I would have rather heard that LaRose was playing well, & scoring goals so we moved him up. I could at least try to swallow that pill.

Yes, & Yes...yet another thing that just doesn't make any sense to me.

I would have rather heard that LaRose was playing well, & scoring goals so we moved him up. I could at least try to swallow that pill.

I realize that you take the whole plus/minus thing with a grain of salt, but Rosey was -21 which was the absolute worst on the team and 11 goals worse than the next forward (which happened to be Staal). Fixing the defensive liabilities by putting the two worst plus/minus players on the same line seems a bit odd to me.

Hey mo won a game and his players executed his plan good. Love to see the Boooins leave with there heads hanging.

I hate when players disrespect there coach by listening and following his game plan. Waiting and hoping for fail is much more fun than enjoying a solid win.